Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 Parental controls

salstrom at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 1:41 PM

0.25 Parental controls

Is anyone running master and using parental controls for videos? It
does not seem to be working for me. All videos are shown initially.
If I switch levels it asks for my password then correctly shows the
videos based on the levels I've set. After a short period of time it
reverts back to all videos. It was working fine in 0.24-fixes but now
that I've moved to master it is now working.

Thanks,

Neil

raffaele.belardi at st

Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 02/29/2012 10:41 PM, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> Is anyone running master and using parental controls for videos? It
> does not seem to be working for me. All videos are shown initially.
> If I switch levels it asks for my password then correctly shows the
> videos based on the levels I've set. After a short period of time it
> reverts back to all videos. It was working fine in 0.24-fixes but now
> that I've moved to master it is now working.

It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
most up to date.

raf

raptorjr08 at gmail

Mar 1, 2012, 10:50 AM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom [at] gmail> wrote:

> Is anyone running master and using parental controls for videos? It
> does not seem to be working for me. All videos are shown initially.
> If I switch levels it asks for my password then correctly shows the
> videos based on the levels I've set. After a short period of time it
> reverts back to all videos. It was working fine in 0.24-fixes but now
> that I've moved to master it is now working.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Yes i have the same problem. I made a ticket about it.
I have always been using master, and updating now and then. Think i updated
around christmas and it was working, and now when i updated some days ago
it was broken.

We'll see if anyone has the time to look at the ticket.

/Stefan

raffaele.belardi at st

Mar 1, 2012, 10:27 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 03/01/2012 08:27 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 10:41 PM, Neil Salstrom wrote:
>> Is anyone running master and using parental controls for videos? It
>> does not seem to be working for me. All videos are shown initially.
>> If I switch levels it asks for my password then correctly shows the
>> videos based on the levels I've set. After a short period of time it
>> reverts back to all videos. It was working fine in 0.24-fixes but now
>> that I've moved to master it is now working.
>
> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
> most up to date.

I confirm it is broken for me.

gjhurlbu at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 12:15 AM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Raffaele BELARDI
<raffaele.belardi [at] st> wrote:
> I confirm it is broken for me.

Could someone please check on trac, and if there isn't already a
ticket for this regression, please put one in. This seems like
something that needs investigation at least before 0.25 release.

salstrom at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 6:13 AM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Raffaele BELARDI
> <raffaele.belardi [at] st> wrote:
>> I confirm it is broken for me.
>
> Could someone please check on trac, and if there isn't already a
> ticket for this regression, please put one in. This seems like
> something that needs investigation at least before 0.25 release.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 2, 2012, 2:10 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 03/02/2012 01:27 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 08:27 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>> On 02/29/2012 10:41 PM, Neil Salstrom wrote:
>>> Is anyone running master and using parental controls for videos? It
>>> does not seem to be working for me. All videos are shown initially.
>>> If I switch levels it asks for my password then correctly shows the
>>> videos based on the levels I've set. After a short period of time it
>>> reverts back to all videos. It was working fine in 0.24-fixes but now
>>> that I've moved to master it is now working.
>> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
>> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
>> most up to date.
> I confirm it is broken for me.

WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.

Do those of you for whom the setting doesn't appear to work have "File
browse mode" enabled? "File browse mode" is an evil (and inefficient)
setting that no one should be using. It says, "Ignore everything in the
database and scan every single video directory on every single host
every time I start up MythVideo and just show everything you find." You
should, instead, be using MythVideo to scan for changes and then manage
the metadata for your videos so that it's stored to the database and
used every time you use MythVideo.

I have a feeling most people who "Enable file browse mode" do so
thinking it's what allows them to see directory structures. Instead,
directory structures/hierarchy is available by selecting "Disable flat
view".

Note that "Enable/Disable file browse mode" and "Enable/Disable flat
view" are available in the MENU in MythVideo, but are enabled and
disabled separately for the 3 MythVideo views--Browse view, List view,
and Gallery view. Therefore, you may need to disable file browse mode
in multiple views.

Mike

snharris99 at live

Mar 2, 2012, 2:29 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

>>> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
>>> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
>>> most up to date.
>> I confirm it is broken for me.

>WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
>this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.

>Do those of you for whom the setting doesn't appear to work have "File
>browse mode" enabled? "File browse mode" is an evil (and inefficient)
>setting that no one should be using. It says, "Ignore everything in the
>database and scan every single video directory on every single host
>every time I start up MythVideo and just show everything you find." You
>should, instead, be using MythVideo to scan for changes and then manage
>the metadata for your videos so that it's stored to the database and
>used every time you use MythVideo.

>I have a feeling most people who "Enable file browse mode" do so
>thinking it's what allows them to see directory structures. Instead,
>directory structures/hierarchy is available by selecting "Disable flat
>view".

>Note that "Enable/Disable file browse mode" and "Enable/Disable flat
>view" are available in the MENU in MythVideo, but are enabled and
>disabled separately for the 3 MythVideo views--Browse view, List view,
>and Gallery view. Therefore, you may need to disable file browse mode
>in multiple views.

When I tried out 0.25 recently, parental controls were not working (well
unless I specifically requested a level after loading MythVideo as
previously reported). File Browse mode was not (and never has been)
enabled. I just confirmed also on my 0.25 test setup on my laptop. No File
Browse Mode, no (reliable) parental controls.

raptorjr08 at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 3:41 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> On 03/02/2012 01:27 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> >> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
> >> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
> >> most up to date.
> > I confirm it is broken for me.
>
> WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
> this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.
>
> Do those of you for whom the setting doesn't appear to work have "File
> browse mode" enabled? "File browse mode" is an evil (and inefficient)
> setting that no one should be using. It says, "Ignore everything in the
> database and scan every single video directory on every single host
> every time I start up MythVideo and just show everything you find." You
> should, instead, be using MythVideo to scan for changes and then manage
> the metadata for your videos so that it's stored to the database and
> used every time you use MythVideo.
>
> I have a feeling most people who "Enable file browse mode" do so
> thinking it's what allows them to see directory structures. Instead,
> directory structures/hierarchy is available by selecting "Disable flat
> view".
>
> Note that "Enable/Disable file browse mode" and "Enable/Disable flat
> view" are available in the MENU in MythVideo, but are enabled and
> disabled separately for the 3 MythVideo views--Browse view, List view,
> and Gallery view. Therefore, you may need to disable file browse mode
> in multiple views.
>
> Mike

I think that the only one who said that it worked was a user that didn't
know what version he was running. And it has worked for me with master,
until i updated maybe a week ago. Before that there had been several weeks
since i updated, so i cant be of much help there to when it stopped
working. Sometimes between Christmas and late February.

If i enter MythVideo on level 1, as i have selected in the settings, and
all videos are shown. If i press 2 to change to level 2, and now my level 3
and 4 videos disappear as it should have been from the beginning. To me it
feels like something is broken. If it was a setting that i had somewhere
that is wrong, then it wouldn't help for me to manually change to level 2.
Level 3 and 4 videos would always be shown.

/Stefan

salstrom at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 5:30 PM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
> this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.
>
> Do those of you for whom the setting doesn't appear to work have "File
> browse mode" enabled? "File browse mode" is an evil (and inefficient)
> setting that no one should be using. It says, "Ignore everything in the
> database and scan every single video directory on every single host
> every time I start up MythVideo and just show everything you find." You
> should, instead, be using MythVideo to scan for changes and then manage
> the metadata for your videos so that it's stored to the database and
> used every time you use MythVideo.
>
> I have a feeling most people who "Enable file browse mode" do so
> thinking it's what allows them to see directory structures. Instead,
> directory structures/hierarchy is available by selecting "Disable flat
> view".
>
> Note that "Enable/Disable file browse mode" and "Enable/Disable flat
> view" are available in the MENU in MythVideo, but are enabled and
> disabled separately for the 3 MythVideo views--Browse view, List view,
> and Gallery view. Therefore, you may need to disable file browse mode
> in multiple views.
>
> Mike

I just verified that on my system "File browse mode" is not being used
and parental controls do not work. I've also confirmed that in all
three view modes that File Browse is not being used.

Neil

raffaele.belardi at st

Mar 5, 2012, 12:03 AM

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 03/02/2012 11:10 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/02/2012 01:27 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>> On 03/01/2012 08:27 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>>> It did work for me before last update (yesterday evening), I'll check if
>>> it still does. I'm using the Gentoo packaging so it might not be the
>>> most up to date.
>> I confirm it is broken for me.
>
> WIth some saying that it works and some saying it doesn't, I wonder if
> this could be a case of misunderstanding settings.

Actually it's not working for all who reported on the list: you quoted
my first message where I wrote it once was working and my second message
where I wrote that now it is no longer working (I should have been more
clear, sorry).

I'll check your suggestion this evening.

raf

keemllib at gmail

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 03/05/2012 02:03 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> Actually it's not working for all who reported on the list: you quoted
> my first message where I wrote it once was working and my second message
> where I wrote that now it is no longer working (I should have been more
> clear, sorry).

Hi;

I believe this was caused by:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7c8e45f

Pluribus on the -users IRC channel just tested the fix here:

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-March/071892.html

So, if you're building from source, the fix works (at least for two
people.)

--
Bill

bobnvic at gmail

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 02:03 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>
>> Actually it's not working for all who reported on the list: you quoted
>> my first message where I wrote it once was working and my second message
>> where I wrote that now it is no longer working (I should have been more
>> clear, sorry).
>

> Hi;
>
> I believe this was caused by:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7c8e45f
>
> Pluribus on the -users IRC channel just tested the fix here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-March/071892.html
>
> So, if you're building from source, the fix works (at least for two
> people.)

It has worked for me for a little over a week. I would really like to
see it fixed in 0.25 however so I don't have to patch it with each
update.

Does the bug listing need to be updated with more information? It
seems like a pretty big deal to me with a fairly simple fix that
should affect anyone using parental controls. I haven't seen anyone
saying that they aren't seeing this issue.

Bob C

salstrom at gmail

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Bob Cottingham <bobnvic [at] gmail> wrote:
> It has worked for me for a little over a week. I would really like to
> see it fixed in 0.25 however so I don't have to patch it with each
> update.
>
> Does the bug listing need to be updated with more information? It
> seems like a pretty big deal to me with a fairly simple fix that
> should affect anyone using parental controls. I haven't seen anyone
> saying that they aren't seeing this issue.
>
> Bob C

Can someone submit this as a formal patch to the bug list? Would that
make it easier to include in the pending 0.25?

(and by "someone" I mean "someone with more skills than me")

I tried patching this over the weekend and for some reason I could not
get it to work. I'll try again...

mythtv at blandford

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 04/09/2012 11:38 AM, Bob Cottingham wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Bill Meek<keemllib [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2012 02:03 AM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>>
>>> Actually it's not working for all who reported on the list: you quoted
>>> my first message where I wrote it once was working and my second message
>>> where I wrote that now it is no longer working (I should have been more
>>> clear, sorry).
>>
>> Hi;
>>
>> I believe this was caused by:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7c8e45f
>>
>> Pluribus on the -users IRC channel just tested the fix here:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-March/071892.html
>>
>> So, if you're building from source, the fix works (at least for two
>> people.)
>>
> It has worked for me for a little over a week. I would really like to
> see it fixed in 0.25 however so I don't have to patch it with each
> update.
>
> Does the bug listing need to be updated with more information? It
> seems like a pretty big deal to me with a fairly simple fix that
> should affect anyone using parental controls. I haven't seen anyone
> saying that they aren't seeing this issue.

Hello,

I just upgraded to 0.25 and am running into this issue as well.

Did a bug report get opened?

Michael

keemllib at gmail

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 04/17/2012 01:14 PM, Michael wrote:
> I just upgraded to 0.25 and am running into this issue as well.
>
> Did a bug report get opened?

Hi;

Yes, http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10388. The patch I suggested
on the -dev list (because its not my ticket) worked for three people,
however a fourth reported that it didn't. I don't know if he meant that it
didn't apply, or that it didn't solve the problem.

If you build from source, you can find a link to the patch on the ticket.

--
Bill

rob.verduijn at gmail

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

2012/4/17 Michael <mythtv [at] blandford>:
> On 04/09/2012 11:38 AM, Bob Cottingham wrote:

>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> I believe this was caused by:
>>>
>>>  https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7c8e45f
>>>
>>> Pluribus on the -users IRC channel just tested the fix here:
>>>
>>>  http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-March/071892.html
>>>
>>> So, if you're building from source, the fix works (at least for two
>>> people.)
>>>
>> It has worked for me for a little over a week.  I would really like to
>> see it fixed in 0.25 however so I don't have to patch it with each
>> update.
>>
>> Does the bug listing need to be updated with more information?  It
>> seems like a pretty big deal to me with a fairly simple fix that
>> should affect anyone using parental controls.  I haven't seen anyone
>> saying that they aren't seeing this issue.
>>

> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded to 0.25 and am running into this issue as well.
>
> Did a bug report get opened?
>
> Michael

Hi all,

I've started to use parental controls safter I upgraded to myth 0.25
and I'm not sure if it ever worked before but with my current
installation it does not.
When starting mythvideo I always get level 0 which gives access to all
videos even those with a pin code at lvl 4.
Switching to any other lvl makes myth enforce the parental controls.
But sadly this stops again after restarting the frontend, it's back at
lvl 0 allowing access to all videos.

Cheers
Rob

mythtv at blandford

Re: 0.25 Parental controls [In reply to]

On 04/17/2012 08:21 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 04/17/2012 01:14 PM, Michael wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 0.25 and am running into this issue as well.
>>
>> Did a bug report get opened?
>
> Hi;
>
> Yes, http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10388. The patch I suggested
> on the -dev list (because its not my ticket) worked for three people,
> however a fourth reported that it didn't. I don't know if he meant
> that it
> didn't apply, or that it didn't solve the problem.
>
> If you build from source, you can find a link to the patch on the ticket.

Pablo from the minimyth distribution applied this patch to the latest
development release and I was able to test.

So far it seems to be working. The only thing I have noticed is that my
art work doesn't show up for higher rated videos now and they did
previously.

Michael