Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Nuppel nuisance

jaglover at gmail

Feb 26, 2012, 5:33 PM

Nuppel nuisance

I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
what?
For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
before crashing.

Any recommendations how to recode them?

--
Cheers, Saul

yan at seiner

Feb 26, 2012, 5:36 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

What errors does mplayer give? Also, try some generic mencoder
options. Reindex the file. A lot of times you end up with damaged
stream and some apps puke on that. mencoder can clean it up sometimes.

--
Honoring our vets.

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

raymond at wagnerrp

Feb 26, 2012, 5:42 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 2/26/2012 20:36, Yan Seiner wrote:
> What errors does mplayer give? Also, try some generic mencoder
> options. Reindex the file. A lot of times you end up with damaged
> stream and some apps puke on that. mencoder can clean it up sometimes.

These are locally encoded files. There should be no corruption or
damaged streams to fix. All applications puke on nuppelvideo, as
nothing besides MythTV uses nuppelvideo.

michael at thewatsonfamily

Feb 26, 2012, 5:49 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 27/02/2012 12:42 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/26/2012 20:36, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> What errors does mplayer give? Also, try some generic mencoder
>> options. Reindex the file. A lot of times you end up with damaged
>> stream and some apps puke on that. mencoder can clean it up sometimes.
> These are locally encoded files. There should be no corruption or
> damaged streams to fix. All applications puke on nuppelvideo, as
> nothing besides MythTV uses nuppelvideo.

I believe VLC plays them without a problem. At least, I have not had
any problems playing any of my NUV files with VLC.
There are many options to convert the files to other formats, Ive had
great success using;
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythnuv2mkv

Regards
Michael

raymond at wagnerrp

Feb 26, 2012, 5:54 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 2/26/2012 20:33, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

Best option, get a hardware encoder card so you start out with something
more generic.

Second best option, rewrite the encoder routines in MythTV to use a more
sensible format. This has actually been done at least once, but it
never got cleaned up and committed.

What you're probably looking for, use mythtranscode's fifo options to
extract the audio and video bitstreams. Nuvexport will likely do what
you're looking for already, however if you don't like nuvexport, you can
at least read through it as a guide of how to handle the fifo mechanism.

mythtv at hbuus

Feb 26, 2012, 9:47 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 2:59 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

I have transcoded many a .nuv recording into DVD compatible mpg and burned to DVD using mytharchive. Perhaps the easiest way to convert these files is to use mytharchive, configure it to skip burning or creating an ISO. When mytharchive is done, go into its temp directory and grab the file <tempdir>/work/[1-9]/final.mpg. Or, if you're adventurous, you can read the the code in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/scripts/mythburn.py and figure out how it invokes mythtranscode and ffmpeg to transcode an nuv file into an .mpg file.

HTH,
Helen

jaglover at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 3:21 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

Thanks to everybody for replying. :)

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:54:35 -0500
Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:

> On 2/26/2012 20:33, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd
> > like to convert to something more generic. However, the only app
> > that can play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've
> > tried with MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> > I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> > what?
> > For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear
> > the audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> > Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> > before crashing.
> >
> > Any recommendations how to recode them?
>
> Best option, get a hardware encoder card so you start out with
> something more generic.

These files are from 0.21 and 0.22 era. This V4L2 card stopped working
in 0.23 and is even not recognized in 0.24.

> Second best option, rewrite the encoder routines in MythTV to use a
> more sensible format. This has actually been done at least once, but
> it never got cleaned up and committed.

See above.

> What you're probably looking for, use mythtranscode's fifo options to
> extract the audio and video bitstreams. Nuvexport will likely do
> what you're looking for already, however if you don't like nuvexport,
> you can at least read through it as a guide of how to handle the fifo
> mechanism.

Will look into this.

--
Cheers, Saul

mythtv at rtr

Feb 27, 2012, 7:04 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 12-02-26 08:33 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear the
> audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

Something like this, perhaps:

ffmpeg -i something.nuv -acodec copy -vcodec copy something.mkv

jaglover at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 7:42 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:33:58 -0600
"Saul A. Peebsen" <jaglover [at] gmail> wrote:

> I have a bunch of nuv files recorded from a framegrabber card I'd like
> to convert to something more generic. However, the only app that can
> play them seems to be MythTV, everything else fails. I've tried with
> MPlayer/MEncoder, ffmpeg and Avidemux.
> I'm running Gentoo and that makes me thing I lack something ... but
> what?
> For instance, MPlayer opens the file and starts playing, I can hear
> the audio but the picture is just the first frame, still picture.
> Avidemux gives the "best" results actually playing it for a while
> before crashing.
>
> Any recommendations how to recode them?

I've tried every recommendation, no cigar.

nuvexport fails with

Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385, <STDIN> line
13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos. Please try
again.

ffmpeg fails with

Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer
in stream 1: 2111460 >= 2111460 av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid
argument

and so on. Yet, MythTV plays these files no problem.

Suggested reindexing with mencoder does not fail, but the resulting
output file is no better.

Oh, and dear members of this list, could you make sure you have
when replying?

--
Cheers, Saul

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 27, 2012, 7:59 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 02/27/2012 10:42 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> nuvexport fails with
>
> Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
> at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385,<STDIN> line
> 13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos. Please try
> again.

Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
version of MythTV?

Mike

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 27, 2012, 8:01 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 02/27/2012 10:59 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 10:42 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> nuvexport fails with
>>
>> Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
>> at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385,<STDIN> line
>> 13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos. Please try
>> again.
> Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
> version of MythTV?

Oh, forgot to mention that in many cases, re-recording--when
possible--is the best transcoding.

Mike

jaglover at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 5:15 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:59:36 -0500
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 02/27/2012 10:42 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > nuvexport fails with
> >
> > Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
> > at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385,<STDIN>
> > line 13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos.
> > Please try again.
>
> Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
> version of MythTV?

Err, I'm not. I downloaded the 0.24.2 tarball and installed from there,
it had no nuvexport included. Where should I look for it? The one I've
got seems rather old.
Or am I just missing something obvious here?

--
Cheers, Saul

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 28, 2012, 6:17 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 02/28/2012 08:15 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:59:36 -0500 "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>
>> On 02/27/2012 10:42 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>>> nuvexport fails with
>>>
>>> Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
>>> at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385,<STDIN>
>>> line 13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos.
>>> Please try again.
>> Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
>> version of MythTV?
> Err, I'm not. I downloaded the 0.24.2 tarball

Ideally, you wouldn't be using any tarball, but would be using
0.24-fixes. See the "*Stable:* If you'd like to get the 0.24 stable
branch, do this:" at http://code.mythtv.org/trac (or use the "Zip"
button at https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tree/fixes/0.24 to get a zip
ball), assuming you're actually changing the code. Or, if you're using
it without changing the code, and you're using a good distro that keeps
up with development (like Ubuntu), then packages are the easiest way.

> and installed from there,
> it had no nuvexport included. Where should I look for it? The one I've
> got seems rather old.
> Or am I just missing something obvious here?

https://github.com/MythTV/nuvexport/tree/fixes/0.24 and use the Zip
button or
git clone -b fixes/0.24 git [at] github:MythTV/nuvexport.git

Mike

jaglover at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 7:13 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:17:45 -0500
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 08:15 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> >> Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
> >> version of MythTV?
> > Err, I'm not. I downloaded the 0.24.2 tarball
>
> Ideally, you wouldn't be using any tarball, but would be using
> 0.24-fixes. See the "*Stable:* If you'd like to get the 0.24 stable
> branch, do this:" at http://code.mythtv.org/trac (or use the "Zip"
> button at https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tree/fixes/0.24 to get a
> zip ball), assuming you're actually changing the code. Or, if you're
> using it without changing the code, and you're using a good distro
> that keeps up with development (like Ubuntu), then packages are the
> easiest way.
>
> > and installed from there,
> > it had no nuvexport included. Where should I look for it? The one
> > I've got seems rather old.
> > Or am I just missing something obvious here?
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/nuvexport/tree/fixes/0.24 and use the Zip
> button or
> git clone -b fixes/0.24 git [at] github:MythTV/nuvexport.git

Thanks alot! I even didn't know there is a (guest-accessible) git repo
for 24-fixes. My distro is offering an ebuild for 0.23 ...

Will get right on it. :)

--
Cheers, Saul

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 28, 2012, 8:49 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 02/28/2012 10:13 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> Thanks alot! I even didn't know there is a (guest-accessible) git repo
> for 24-fixes. My distro is offering an ebuild for 0.23 ...

Gentoo?

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/Gentoo

complete with ebuild for nuvexport. Just make sure you set it up to
build stable/0.24-fixes stuff (I have no idea how to do that, but know
that it supports it).

Mike

raymond at wagnerrp

Feb 28, 2012, 9:02 AM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On 2/28/2012 11:49, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 10:13 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>> Thanks alot! I even didn't know there is a (guest-accessible) git repo
>> for 24-fixes. My distro is offering an ebuild for 0.23 ...
> Gentoo?
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/Gentoo
>
> complete with ebuild for nuvexport. Just make sure you set it up to
> build stable/0.24-fixes stuff (I have no idea how to do that, but know
> that it supports it).

The ebuild currently listed there is intended for use with 0.25, and
mythffmpeg, although now that I look at it again, it's actually using a
use flag no longer available. If you want to use it with 0.24, remove
the version specifier for mythtv, as well as the 'xvid' and 'x264' flag,
from the depends list and redigest.

jaglover at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 23:01:06 -0500
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 02/27/2012 10:59 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 02/27/2012 10:42 PM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> >> nuvexport fails with
> >>
> >> Use of uninitialized value $mythtrans_pid in numeric eq (==)
> >> at /usr/local/share/nuvexport/export/generic.pm line 385,<STDIN>
> >> line 13. Waited too long for mythtranscode to create its fifos.
> >> Please try again.
> > Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
> > version of MythTV?
>
> Oh, forgot to mention that in many cases, re-recording--when
> possible--is the best transcoding.

Well, I just learned nuvexport does not work on orphaned files. :(
Re-recording would be nice ... may take a long-long time though until a
movie comes back on TCM.

--
Cheers, Saul

jaglover at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 4:48 PM

Re: Nuppel nuisance [In reply to]

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:17:45 -0500
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 08:15 AM, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> >> Are you sure you're using the right version of nuvexport for your
> >> version of MythTV?
> > Err, I'm not. I downloaded the 0.24.2 tarball
>
> Ideally, you wouldn't be using any tarball, but would be using
> 0.24-fixes. See the "*Stable:* If you'd like to get the 0.24 stable
> branch, do this:" at http://code.mythtv.org/trac (or use the "Zip"
> button at https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tree/fixes/0.24 to get a
> zip ball), assuming you're actually changing the code. Or, if you're
> using it without changing the code, and you're using a good distro
> that keeps up with development (like Ubuntu), then packages are the
> easiest way.
>
> > and installed from there,
> > it had no nuvexport included. Where should I look for it? The one
> > I've got seems rather old.
> > Or am I just missing something obvious here?
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/nuvexport/tree/fixes/0.24 and use the Zip
> button or
> git clone -b fixes/0.24 git [at] github:MythTV/nuvexport.git

All this is great, I got it working, I even managed to insert orphaned
files into the database (in an unsupported way indeed).
Nevertheless, the files are in the database, frontend plays them no
problem, yet nuvexport just stalls with no error message.
With nuvexport --debug I get this (I accepted all defaults):

To encode: Lucky Partners: Untitled
Use the following commands:
First pass...

system call:
mkdir -m 0755 /tmp/fifodir_32422/

forking:
/usr/bin/nice -n19 /usr/local/bin/mythtranscode --showprogress -p '0'
-c '1063' -s '2008-01-01T01:00:00' -f "/tmp/fifodir_32422/"
--honorcutlist --fifosync 2>&1

forking:
cat /tmp/fifodir_32422/audout > /dev/null

forking:
/usr/bin/nice -n19 ffmpeg -threads 4 -y -f s16le -ar 44100 -ac 2 -f
rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 480x480 -aspect 1.33333333333333 -r 29.97
-i /tmp/fifodir_32422/vidout -aspect 1.33333333333333 -r 29.97
-deinterlace -croptop 6 -cropright 6 -cropbottom 6 -cropleft 6 -s
512x384 -vcodec libxvid -b '768k' -minrate '32k' -maxrate '1536k' -bt
'32k' -bufsize 65535 -flags +mv4+loop+aic+cgop -trellis 1 -mbd 1 -cmp 2
-subcmp 2 -b_qfactor '150' -b_qoffset '100' -bf '1' -pass 1
-passlogfile '/tmp/xvid.32422.log' -f avi /dev/null 2>&1 Final pass...

system call:
mkdir -m 0755 /tmp/fifodir_32422/

forking:
/usr/bin/nice -n19 /usr/local/bin/mythtranscode --showprogress -p '0'
-c '1063' -s '2008-01-01T01:00:00' -f "/tmp/fifodir_32422/"
--honorcutlist 2>&1

forking:
/usr/bin/nice -n19 ffmpeg -threads 4 -y -f s16le -ar 44100 -ac 2
-i /tmp/fifodir_32422/audout -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 480x480
-aspect 1.33333333333333 -r 29.97 -i /tmp/fifodir_32422/vidout -aspect
1.33333333333333 -r 29.97 -deinterlace -croptop 6 -cropright 6
-cropbottom 6 -cropleft 6 -s 512x384 -vcodec libxvid -b '768k'
-minrate '32k' -maxrate '1536k' -bt '32k' -bufsize 65535 -flags
+mv4+loop+aic+cgop -trellis 1 -mbd 1 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -b_qfactor '150'
-b_qoffset '100' -bf '1' -pass 2 -passlogfile '/tmp/xvid.32422.log'
-acodec libmp3lame -async 1 -ab '128k' -f avi
'./Lucky_Partners_-_Untitled.avi' 2>&1

Cleaning up temp files.

--
Cheers, Saul