Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working?

jnissley at nissley

Feb 22, 2012, 4:28 PM

HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working?

I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set. The
HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
my wife. When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
channel changes fine. When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
the time I get a failure. The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
not find the ringbuffer file to play from. The initial channel is found
correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.

Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?

jnissley at nissley

Feb 22, 2012, 4:28 PM

HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set. The
HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
my wife. When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
channel changes fine. When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
the time I get a failure. The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
not find the ringbuffer file to play from. The initial channel is found
correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.

Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?

jppoet at gmail

Feb 22, 2012, 4:51 PM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM, John Nissley <jnissley [at] nissley> wrote:
> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set.  The
> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
> my wife.  When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
> channel changes fine.  When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
> the time I get a failure.  The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
> not find the ringbuffer file to play from.  The initial channel is found
> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>
> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?

I bug was found recently in the HD-PVR kernel driver. Once that is
fixed, it should solve your problem.

If you compile from source, I can send you a patch for Myth, that
seems to help. Which version of Myth are you running?

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

kevin at familyross

Feb 23, 2012, 3:04 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On 2/22/2012 4:51 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM, John Nissley<jnissley [at] nissley> wrote:
>> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set. The
>> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
>> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
>> my wife. When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
>> channel changes fine. When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
>> the time I get a failure. The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
>> not find the ringbuffer file to play from. The initial channel is found
>> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
> I bug was found recently in the HD-PVR kernel driver. Once that is
> fixed, it should solve your problem.
>
> If you compile from source, I can send you a patch for Myth, that
> seems to help. Which version of Myth are you running?
>

> John

I'd be interested. I'm running master. Do you know what kernel version
will have the fix?

-- Kevin

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Feb 24, 2012, 10:27 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM, John Nissley <jnissley [at] nissley> wrote:
> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set.  The
> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
> my wife.  When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
> channel changes fine.  When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
> the time I get a failure.  The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
> not find the ringbuffer file to play from.  The initial channel is found
> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>
> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?

John,

My parents have a similar setup, two HDPVR as well, two frontends can
start live tv fine and play, but at the show change marks one of the
frontends stops playing, the other seems to ride through the program
change fine, but not always. The recording files for the new shows get
created and have data, so it seems as though the backend is properly
tuning and recording which is also what I see in the backend log.

is this somewhat similar to what you're seeing?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

jppoet at gmail

Feb 24, 2012, 4:45 PM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM, John Nissley <jnissley [at] nissley> wrote:
>> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set.  The
>> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
>> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
>> my wife.  When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
>> channel changes fine.  When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
>> the time I get a failure.  The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
>> not find the ringbuffer file to play from.  The initial channel is found
>> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
>
> John,
>
> My parents have a similar setup, two HDPVR as well, two frontends can
> start live tv fine and play, but at the show change marks one of the
> frontends stops playing, the other seems to ride through the program
> change fine, but not always. The recording files for the new shows get
> created and have data, so it seems as though the backend is properly
> tuning and recording which is also what I see in the backend log.
>
> is this somewhat similar to what you're seeing?

I am not in a position to test the attached patch at this time.
However, a couple of months ago, when I was looking into the problem,
I found that lowering the timeout for read errors from 2.5 seconds to
1 second allowed LiveTV to recover better from glitches. The attached
patch makes that change.

Here is a link to the driver patch that will *probably* make this
change unnecessary:

http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/media-next.git/blobdiff/63ae37ea5186a6890a8968611180dc61118f719d..afa159538af61f1a65d48927f4e949fe514fb4fc:/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-video.c

John
--
Attachments: hdpvr-timeout.patch (0.55 KB)

jnissley at nissley

Feb 25, 2012, 6:55 AM

HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

/>>/ I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set. The
/>>/ HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
/>>/ will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
/>>/ my wife. When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
/>>/ channel changes fine. When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
/>>/ the time I get a failure. The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
/>>/ not find the ringbuffer file to play from. The initial channel is found
/>>/ correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
/>>/
/>>/ Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
/>/
/>/ John,
/>/
/
I am not in a position to test the attached patch at this time.
However, a couple of months ago, when I was looking into the problem,
I found that lowering the timeout for read errors from 2.5 seconds to
1 second allowed LiveTV to recover better from glitches. The attached
patch makes that change.

Here is a link to the driver patch that will *probably* make this
change unnecessary:

http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/media-next.git/blobdiff/63ae37ea5186a6890a8968611180dc61118f719d..afa159538af61f1a65d48927f4e949fe514fb4fc:/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-video.c

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

This patch appears that is may be a kernel module or something like that
and not a part of the standard git download of mythtv.
Can you point me to a wiki on how to install the patch you provided?

jppoet at gmail

Feb 25, 2012, 8:55 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 7:55 AM, John Nissley <jnissley [at] nissley> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set.  The
>>> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
>>> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working for
>>> my wife.  When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
>>> channel changes fine.  When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80% of
>>> the time I get a failure.  The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
>>> not find the ringbuffer file to play from.  The initial channel is found
>>> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
>>
>> John,
>>
>> My parents have a similar setup, two HDPVR as well, two frontends can
>> start live tv fine and play, but at the show change marks one of the
>> frontends stops playing, the other seems to ride through the program
>> change fine, but not always. The recording files for the new shows get
>> created and have data, so it seems as though the backend is properly
>> tuning and recording which is also what I see in the backend log.
>>
>> is this somewhat similar to what you're seeing?
>
> I am not in a position to test the attached patch at this time.
> However, a couple of months ago, when I was looking into the problem,
> I found that lowering the timeout for read errors from 2.5 seconds to
> 1 second allowed LiveTV to recover better from glitches. The attached
> patch makes that change.
>
> Here is a link to the driver patch that will *probably* make this
> change unnecessary:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/media-next.git/blobdiff/63ae37ea5186a6890a8968611180dc61118f719d..afa159538af61f1a65d48927f4e949fe514fb4fc:/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-video.c
>

> John
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>
> This patch appears that is may be a kernel module or something like that
> and not a part of the standard git download of mythtv.
> Can you point me to a wiki on how to install the patch you provided?

Sorry, it seems I managed to confuse the situation. The *link* I
provided was for a kernal patch, the should make the patch I
*attached* unnecessary.

I am attaching the Myth patch, again.

If the attached patch does seem to help, please let me know and I will
make sure it is included in 0.25

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Attachments: hdpvr-timeout.patch (0.55 KB)

gbr at majentis

Feb 26, 2012, 6:34 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

Hi,

A bit late to this thread. I've had two HDPVR's running, with Firewire channel change on two Motorola 6200's for a week now. Everythings been flawless.

I'm running a stock Mythbuntu 10.10

Gerald

> I have two HDPVR's since my cable provider has the copy bit set. The
> HDPVR is doing a good job recording shows but since my cable provider
> will start phasing out analog channels I want to get live tv working
> for
> my wife. When I change channels with my HD Home Run in live TV the
> channel changes fine. When I try to do the same with the HDPVR 80%
> of
> the time I get a failure. The jist of the failure is that mythtv can
> not find the ringbuffer file to play from. The initial channel is
> found
> correctly but on channel change is when the failure happens.
>
> Is anyone else able to watch live tv from the hdpvr input?
> id="no_signature" style="overflow:hidden;"></div></span>

acstadt at stadt

Feb 26, 2012, 6:59 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

On 26/02/2012 9:34 AM, Gerald Brandt wrote:

> [...]

Another later reply (with top posting fixed):

Running Debian-multimedia on my MBE and two FE's (0.24-fixes) with one
HDPVR and two PVR150's. Most channel changes work, occasionally get
buffering issues but it generally works. Having said that, the same
system with master (as of last night) I can't get a single channel
change to work.

Andrew.

gbr at majentis

Feb 26, 2012, 7:24 AM

Re: HDPVR and Live TV - Does anyone have this working? [In reply to]

Hi