Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


gaberubin at gmail

Nov 27, 2011, 9:27 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1363 views)
Permalink
Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work

I tried to upgrade from fedora 14 to 16. I used preupgrade and did it
incrementally from 14 to 15 to 16. It appeared that the 14 to 15
upgrade worked well enough, although I had to remove some kernels from
/boot do to space limitations.

However, the 15 to 16 upgrade has not been as smooth. I believe this
is because I screwed up and took a kernel out that should not have
been taken out so the correct arguments were not written in the grub
config file. I wound up just downloading the dvd iso and "upgrading"
from that after things would not start, and now my mythbox appears to
at least load everything until it gets to the xorg.conf portion. It
hangs there and goes to a text console.

I am thinking this is probably a stupid and easy to fix problem (at
least I am hoping). Here are what I believe to be the pertinent
details:

I am running the following kernel:
[root [at] localhos ~]# uname -r
3.1.2-1.fc16.i686

This is what is in my grub config file (took me a while to realize
that fedora 16 uses grub2, which uses /etc/default/grub as the grub
file):
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Fedora"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup00/lv_root rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup/lv_swap nouveau.modeset=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup00/lv_swap"

In my xorg.conf file, I have the following:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

I have the following nvidia related rpms loaded:
[root [at] localhos ~]# rpm -qa |grep nvidia
nvidia-graphics-long-lived-275.36-62.i386
nvidia-graphics275.36-kmdl-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686-275.36-138.fc16.i686
nvidia-graphics275.36-275.36-138.fc16.i686
nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-6.fc16.noarch
nvidia-graphics275.36-libs-275.36-138.fc16.i686
nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.30-33.fc16.i686


Here is the trouble in the xorg log:
[ 20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at
PCI:1:0:0. Please
[ 20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): check your system's kernel log for
additional error
[ 20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): messages and refer to Chapter 8:
Common Problems in the
[ 20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.
[ 20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
[ 20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[ 20.754] (II) Unloading nvidia
[ 20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
[ 20.754] (II) Unloading wfb
[ 20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
[ 20.754] (II) Unloading fb
[ 20.754] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[ 20.754]
Fatal server error:
[ 20.754] no screens found
[ 20.754]
Please consult the Fedora Project support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
[ 20.754] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
for additional information.
[ 20.754]
[ 20.765] Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.


This is the end of dmesg:
[ 20.753945] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 20.755663] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 20.755670] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
[ 21.029422] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 21.035123] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 21.035141] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
[ 21.177357] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 21.183074] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 21.183093] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
[ 21.325043] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 21.330507] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 21.330525] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
[ 21.472454] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 21.478189] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 21.478208] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
[ 21.620150] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
[ 21.625970] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
[ 21.625988] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed


Thanks in advance for any help.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


gaberubin at gmail

Nov 27, 2011, 9:43 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1318 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> I tried to upgrade from fedora 14 to 16.  I used preupgrade and did it
> incrementally from 14 to 15 to 16.  It appeared that the 14 to 15
> upgrade worked well enough, although I had to remove some kernels from
> /boot do to space limitations.
>
> However, the 15 to 16 upgrade has not been as smooth.  I believe this
> is because I screwed up and took a kernel out that should not have
> been taken out so the correct arguments were not written in the grub
> config file.  I wound up just downloading the dvd iso and "upgrading"
> from that after things would not start, and now my mythbox appears to
> at least load everything until it gets to the xorg.conf portion.  It
> hangs there and goes to a text console.
>
> I am thinking this is probably a stupid and easy to fix problem (at
> least I am hoping).  Here are what I believe to be the pertinent
> details:
>
> I am running the following kernel:
> [root [at] localhos ~]# uname -r
> 3.1.2-1.fc16.i686
>
> This is what is in my grub config file (took me a while to realize
> that fedora 16 uses grub2, which uses /etc/default/grub as the grub
> file):
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Fedora"
> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup00/lv_root rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
> rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup/lv_swap nouveau.modeset=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> rd.lvm.lv=VolGroup00/lv_swap"
>
> In my xorg.conf file, I have the following:
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> I have the following nvidia related rpms loaded:
> [root [at] localhos ~]# rpm -qa |grep nvidia
> nvidia-graphics-long-lived-275.36-62.i386
> nvidia-graphics275.36-kmdl-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686-275.36-138.fc16.i686
> nvidia-graphics275.36-275.36-138.fc16.i686
> nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-6.fc16.noarch
> nvidia-graphics275.36-libs-275.36-138.fc16.i686
> nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.30-33.fc16.i686
>
>
> Here is the trouble in the xorg log:
> [    20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at
> PCI:1:0:0.  Please
> [    20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     check your system's kernel log for
> additional error
> [    20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     messages and refer to Chapter 8:
> Common Problems in the
> [    20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     README for additional information.
> [    20.754] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
> [    20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> [    20.754] (II) Unloading nvidia
> [    20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
> [    20.754] (II) Unloading wfb
> [    20.754] (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
> [    20.754] (II) Unloading fb
> [    20.754] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> [    20.754]
> Fatal server error:
> [    20.754] no screens found
> [    20.754]
> Please consult the Fedora Project support
>         at http://wiki.x.org
>  for help.
> [    20.754] Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
> for additional information.
> [    20.754]
> [    20.765] Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
>
>
> This is the end of dmesg:
> [   20.753945] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   20.755663] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   20.755670] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
> [   21.029422] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   21.035123] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   21.035141] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
> [   21.177357] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   21.183074] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   21.183093] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
> [   21.325043] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   21.330507] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   21.330525] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
> [   21.472454] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   21.478189] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   21.478208] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
> [   21.620150] vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use
> vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
> [   21.625970] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffffffff:1076)
> [   21.625988] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
>
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

Just wanted to add the following information:
[root [at] localhos ~]# lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia 10721121 0
i2c_core 21588 23
nvidia,tuner_simple,tuner,msp3400,saa7127,saa7115,ivtv,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_piix4,v4l2_common,videodev,tveeprom,dvb_usb_dib0700,dib7000p,dib0090,dib7000m,dib0070,dvb_usb,dib8000,dib9000,dib3000mc,dibx000_common,ir_kbd_i2c


I am virtually certain that nouveau is being properly blacklisted, as
I get nothing when I do lsmod | grep nouveau
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


gaberubin at gmail

Nov 27, 2011, 10:08 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1318 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work [In reply to]

Sorry to bug the list. I decided to try and re-seat the graphics card
as it I moved the mythbox a bit during the upgrade. It appears that
did the trick. Still having some other issues with the upgrade, but I
will put those in a different thread.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


sbwalters0731 at gmail

Nov 28, 2011, 4:20 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1311 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work [In reply to]

I had to add this line to /etc/default/grub to get mine to work.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rdblacklist=nouveau
gfxpayload=1024x768x24 vmalloc=256M"

and then update grub
grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> Sorry to bug the list. I decided to try and re-seat the graphics card
> as it I moved the mythbox a bit during the upgrade. It appears that
> did the trick. Still having some other issues with the upgrade, but I
> will put those in a different thread.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


gaberubin at gmail

Nov 28, 2011, 7:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1275 views)
Permalink
Re: Upgraded to Fedora 16 and nvidia and xorg.conf don't work [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:20 AM, The Walters <sbwalters0731 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I had to add this line to /etc/default/grub to get mine to work.
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rdblacklist=nouveau
> gfxpayload=1024x768x24 vmalloc=256M"
>
> and then update grub
> grub2-mkconfig > /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>> Sorry to bug the list.  I decided to try and re-seat the graphics card
>> as it I moved the mythbox a bit during the upgrade.  It appears that
>> did the trick.  Still having some other issues with the upgrade, but I
>> will put those in a different thread.
>
Very weird, when I added that line, did the command, and restarted, it
screwed with lirc. It gave the buttons different fucntions and popped
up icons (volume, circle with slash) for some of the buttons and those
buttons would not perform their functions in myth. When I would quit
myth, the buttons did thing in just gnome.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.