Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

DLNA clients and MythTV

conor at ronoc

Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 PM

DLNA clients and MythTV

Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing
your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional
tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success
with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)

But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.

So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

mythtv at rtr

Nov 22, 2011, 2:41 PM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 11-11-22 03:37 PM, Conor Klecker wrote:
> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing your
> MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional tinkering? I
> have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success with the PS3
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

I have used both my (2010) Samsung TV, and a WDTV-Live+ box
to access/play recordings and videos from my mythbackend box
over the LAN.

Both work fine, but the interface is poor compared with mythfrontend.

dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Nov 22, 2011, 3:06 PM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 22.11.2011 21:37, Conor Klecker wrote:
> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing
> your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional
> tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great
> success with the PS3
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.

sounds like you are experiencing
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9446 for Sony UPNP BDP-S570
or
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9424 for unnamed Sony players
(already applied to 0.25-master)

Regards,
Karl

myth at danielosborne

Nov 22, 2011, 4:08 PM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Conor Klecker <conor [at] ronoc> wrote:

> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing
> your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional
> tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success
> with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

My TV doesn't have DLNA, but my bluray player does.

The LG BD650. I've gotten it to play SOME recordings. It seems to play all
but the 1080p. TBH, I didn't try too many, as that bluray is connected to
the same TV as the MythTV.

However I've heard good things about the WD Live Plus, I don't have any
experience with that one though.

Daniel

andysummerskill at hotmail

Nov 22, 2011, 11:05 PM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:37:51 -0600
> From: Conor Klecker <conor [at] ronoc>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] DLNA clients and MythTV
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
>
> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing
> your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional
> tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success
> with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------

I've got a Samsung UE32C6510 32" LED HD TV and mythtv appears on the list of DLNA servers.

I can play recorded TV, Videos and Music directly using the TV remote.

The only (minor) issue I have is that some of the TV recordings do not have a title visible on the screen (the date of the recording does show, though) - but some of the recordings do have their title listed! Also, it is possible to display the list of recordings ordered by date or title (where subfolders are shown; a different folder for each date or for each title - which minimises the problem noted above).

When I bought the TV I wasn't aware of this feature, so a pleasant surprise.

Regards,

Andy Summerskill

mk at lemo

Nov 22, 2011, 11:52 PM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 11/22/2011 09:37 PM, Conor Klecker wrote:
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

I have a Panasonic TX-P50VT20E TV and a
SC-BFT800EGK Blu-ray player/soundbar.

They can both play the recordings via DLNA from my mythtv backend.

However:

Only the TV can show the embedded Danish subtitles from
DVB-T recordings, but often in stranges places on the screen.

The DLNA player in the TV often crashes when I start to play a
recording. The player in the Blu-ray player is more robust, but
no subtitles.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk [at] lemo
http://www.lemo.dk

conor at ronoc

Nov 23, 2011, 5:24 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

Thank you I didn't know it was a bug. I thought since UPNP was just "it
works" I didn't have anything I could change. I will see if either of these
tickets will help, 9424 looks promising.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl [at] spaetfruehstuecken>wrote:

> On 22.11.2011 21:37, Conor Klecker wrote:
> > Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing
> > your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional
> > tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great
> > success with the PS3
> > (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
> >
> > But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> sounds like you are experiencing
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9446 for Sony UPNP BDP-S570
> or
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9424 for unnamed Sony players
> (already applied to 0.25-master)
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Nov 23, 2011, 5:40 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

Conor Klecker wrote:
-----------------------

Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981

But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.

So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

-----------------------

I have one Asus O!Play HD2 and one A.C.Ryan HD Mini.

With the latest firmware both works reasonably well.
I can display the recordings ordered by all, date, title, category, TV channel, and possibly some more I can't remember.

The O!Play is a bit slow in starting playback but is otherwise fast enough in the menus, and when listing all recordings it orders them chronologically.

The HD Mini is noticeably faster in starting playback but when listing all recordings it orders them alphabetically.

I guess the recording format is quite important regarding which devices can play the recordings.
I also have an Asus Transformer (Android) Pad that I so far has not got to play my recordings which are MPEG-2 for SD and H.264 for HD.

Jens

watkinshome at gmail

Nov 23, 2011, 5:53 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 23 November 2011 13:40, Terjesen Jens Peder
<Jens.Peder.Terjesen [at] devoteam> wrote:
> Conor Klecker wrote:
> -----------------------
>
> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?

I have an LG Television (32LE4500).

It finds the mythtv server no problem and successfully plays UK DVB
recordings, both SD and HD(H264).

However it plays them both in a small window in the middle of the
screen. Neither of the two available aspect ratios
(Original/Fullscreen) makes any difference. Strange because for the
AV inputs there are more aspect ratios than you can shake a stick at.

bhaskins at chartermi

Nov 23, 2011, 5:54 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 11/23/2011 02:52 AM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 09:37 PM, Conor Klecker wrote:
>> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?
The Asus O!Play HDP-R1 is one of the methods I use to play myth recordings.
It does a very nice job with the playback even though It lists the
recordings as UpNp (???).
The tv is a Visio with VIA which is a little strange in that I can't
seem to make that
show myth recordings without using the Asus box.
It does do Netfiix and the other locked-down stuff nicely.
So the combination seems to have the best of both worlds.
There may be more functionality here but right now my oldfart brain is
somewhat
overwhelmed by way too many new toys.

reidjr at lineone

Nov 23, 2011, 8:21 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On 23/11/11 13:40, Terjesen Jens Peder wrote:
> Conor Klecker wrote:
> -----------------------
>
> Has anyone had much success with a brand of HDTV or media player playing your MythTv recordings without and additional transcoder or additional tinkering? I have had poor luck with the 360 as a client and great success with the PS3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494981)
>
> But even though my Blu-Ray player is Sony it doesn't play the recordings.
>
> So who has had luck with a great DLNA player? One built into your TV?
>
> -----------------------
>
> I have one Asus O!Play HD2 and one A.C.Ryan HD Mini.
>
> With the latest firmware both works reasonably well.
> I can display the recordings ordered by all, date, title, category, TV channel, and possibly some more I can't remember.
>
> The O!Play is a bit slow in starting playback but is otherwise fast enough in the menus, and when listing all recordings it orders them chronologically.
>
> The HD Mini is noticeably faster in starting playback but when listing all recordings it orders them alphabetically.
>
> I guess the recording format is quite important regarding which devices can play the recordings.
> I also have an Asus Transformer (Android) Pad that I so far has not got to play my recordings which are MPEG-2 for SD and H.264 for HD.
>
> Jens

I eventually gave up with Myths built in DLNA server. My Sony Internet
TV ( Uk version 40EX503) can see the myth native server, but cant connect.

I run Serviio, which is free, (but not open source) on my Mythbackend. I
publish my MythVideo directory, and use mythlink to name the TV
recordings, and then publish the "friendly named" mythlink directory.

I contributed to the Serviio profiles, so that it now supports the 2010
Sony TVs pretty well, and the playback directly on the TV is as good as
it gets, for both SD and HD recordings, as there is none of the
de-interlacing issues you get on even the best mythtv frontend. I still
prefer the mythfrontend for functionality, and the quality on my little
Revo box is pretty good, but its nice to just flip on the TV and
directly play HD in best quality without firing up the full feature
frontend.

conor at ronoc

Nov 23, 2011, 8:34 AM

Re: DLNA clients and MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM, bhaskins <bhaskins [at] chartermi> wrote:

> The Asus O!Play HDP-R1 is one of the methods I use to play myth recordings.

I looked up this Asus O!Play product line and the O! min plus looks great.
It has all the same functionality as the others but adds wifi N, I also saw
it has the ability to receive a stream from your android phone with the
asus app. It also seems that they keep up-to-date firmware out there.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM, John <reidjr [at] lineone> wrote:

> I still prefer the mythfrontend for functionality, and the quality on my
> little
> Revo box is pretty good, but its nice to just flip on the TV and
> directly play HD in best quality without firing up the full feature
> frontend.

I know the feeling, nettop boxes aren't too expensive but it still is
another step to turn on. Which means my wife doesn't watch her recorded
shows.