Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Why do I need to set large amounts of audio sync correction?

speedsix.lists at googlemail

Nov 15, 2011, 11:47 PM

Why do I need to set large amounts of audio sync correction?

I need to set ~280ms of delay to achieve sync across all channels, why
is this? I'm pretty sure the delay isn't caused outside the system
(display/amplifier) as for example, mplayer can play with perfect sync
without any manual intervention.

As far as I know, you can't set a permanent audio delay in myth, right?

toivo at ucs

Nov 15, 2011, 11:56 PM

Re: Why do I need to set large amounts of audio sync correction? [In reply to]

I'd love to be able to solve this problem too,mine is about 160ms. I
know it's not the hardware because I also run xbmc (not at the same
time as mythfronted) on the box and there are no delay problems.

I tried version 0.25 a month or two ago since it has permanent delay
adjustment, but the VDPAU didn't work.

On Wed 16 Nov 2011 15:47:05 WST, Dom H wrote:
> I need to set ~280ms of delay to achieve sync across all channels, why
> is this? I'm pretty sure the delay isn't caused outside the system
> (display/amplifier) as for example, mplayer can play with perfect sync
> without any manual intervention.
>
> As far as I know, you can't set a permanent audio delay in myth, right?

mythtv at rtr

Nov 16, 2011, 6:25 AM

Re: Why do I need to set large amounts of audio sync correction? [In reply to]

On 11-11-16 02:56 AM, Toivo Pedaste wrote:
> I'd love to be able to solve this problem too,mine is about 160ms. I
> know it's not the hardware because I also run xbmc (not at the same
> time as mythfronted) on the box and there are no delay problems.
>
> I tried version 0.25 a month or two ago since it has permanent delay
> adjustment, but the VDPAU didn't work.

Here, anything recorded OTA (DTV) requires ~180ms audio sync adjustment.
But videos normally play back with only a small ~50ms adjustment.

Pretty consistent, too. I'm thinking of programming a button on my remotes
to simply cycle through the 0, 50, 180 values.

mythtv at rtr

Re: Why do I need to set large amounts of audio sync correction? [In reply to]

On 11-11-16 02:47 AM, Dom H wrote:
> I need to set ~280ms of delay to achieve sync across all channels, why
> is this? I'm pretty sure the delay isn't caused outside the system
> (display/amplifier) as for example, mplayer can play with perfect sync
> without any manual intervention.
>
> As far as I know, you can't set a permanent audio delay in myth, right?

Mythtv-0.25 apparently has a single global setting for remembering
the audiosync from session to session.

Dunno.. I'll be continuing with 0.24-fixes here for at least a few months still.
I just program a single button on my remote control to send
a macro sequence to set the audio sync directly. Works fine.

Cheers