Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

DLNA server?

daniel.armbrust.list at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 10:24 AM

DLNA server?

Does anything have to be done to install / configure the DLNA server in mythtv?

My (first) DLNA client does not find it on the network.

I've never noticed any options in Myth about it.

Thanks,

Dan

raymond at wagnerrp

Oct 17, 2011, 10:27 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 10/17/2011 13:24, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Does anything have to be done to install / configure the DLNA server in mythtv?
>
> My (first) DLNA client does not find it on the network.

Mythbackend must be configured to listen on a network accessible
address, and not 127.0.0.1.

daniel.armbrust.list at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 10:38 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

>> My (first) DLNA client does not find it on the network.
>
> Mythbackend must be configured to listen on a network accessible
> address, and not 127.0.0.1.

Doh. It used to be configured correctly, before I had to rebuild it.
Forgot to change that...

Now it shows up... but my device (a phone) simply says internal error,
or that it can't play all of the files.

Oh well. Not sure I care to trouble shoot it. But it would have been
cool if it worked.

Thanks,

Dan

daniel.armbrust.list at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 11:05 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

Hmm, and VLC as a client simply segfaults when I try to play a file.

Is the DLNA server known to have issues?

Is there a client that is known to work that I can test it with?

I don't see anything interesting in the backend logs.

Thanks,

Dan

matt at oddprocess

Oct 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 01:05:16PM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Hmm, and VLC as a client simply segfaults when I try to play a file.
>
> Is the DLNA server known to have issues?
>
> Is there a client that is known to work that I can test it with?
>
> I don't see anything interesting in the backend logs.

The only clients I have ever used were hardware based. I use a PS3 and an
LG BluRay player with network access for YEARS with the DLNA server and
have absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. Believe me, we would die
if it were wonky :)
--
Matthew Daubenspeck
http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz
14:40:32 up 102 days, 1:55, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.10, 0.12

iwasinnamuknow at genestate

Oct 17, 2011, 1:04 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 17/10/2011 19:05, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> Hmm, and VLC as a client simply segfaults when I try to play a file.
>
> Is the DLNA server known to have issues?
>
> Is there a client that is known to work that I can test it with?
>
> I don't see anything interesting in the backend logs.

I would love to know if you do find one that works. I googled around and
tried several on both the phone and the computer and none of them worked
completely. In fact the phone won't play any videos, seems to be a codec
problem that we can't get around.

daniel.armbrust.list at gmail

Oct 17, 2011, 1:18 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

VLC allows me to see the content lists... but trying to play anything
causes a segfault.

Totem also allows me to see the content lists - and I even got it to
start playing something, once. They I tried to seek in the video, and
it segfaulted.

After that, it could no longer see any of the content.
It seems to use the tool "coherence" - and when it segfaults, it
leaves the coherence process behind, doing god knows what. Doesn't
work at all after that point.

So, yea, it would seem that there really isn't anything that works on my system.

Seems like client issues, however. Nothing Myth does should be able
to cause a client segfault.

I just thought I'd try this big shiny button on my new phone. Would
have been cool... But no real loss.

Dan

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Matt Harrison
<iwasinnamuknow [at] genestate> wrote:
> On 17/10/2011 19:05, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>> Hmm, and VLC as a client simply segfaults when I try to play a file.
>>
>> Is the DLNA server known to have issues?
>>
>> Is there a client that is known to work that I can test it with?
>>
>> I don't see anything interesting in the backend logs.
>
> I would love to know if you do find one that works. I googled around and
> tried several on both the phone and the computer and none of them worked
> completely. In fact the phone won't play any videos, seems to be a codec
> problem that we can't get around.

iwasinnamuknow at genestate

Oct 17, 2011, 1:33 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 17/10/2011 21:18, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> VLC allows me to see the content lists... but trying to play anything
> causes a segfault.
>
> Totem also allows me to see the content lists - and I even got it to
> start playing something, once. They I tried to seek in the video, and
> it segfaulted.
>
> After that, it could no longer see any of the content.
> It seems to use the tool "coherence" - and when it segfaults, it
> leaves the coherence process behind, doing god knows what. Doesn't
> work at all after that point.
>
> So, yea, it would seem that there really isn't anything that works on my system.
>
> Seems like client issues, however. Nothing Myth does should be able
> to cause a client segfault.
>
> I just thought I'd try this big shiny button on my new phone. Would
> have been cool... But no real loss.

Yes, I don't it's myths fault with the phone at least. I've got a
Samsung Galaxy S and it seems half the internet is campaigning to get
the codec list expanded.

joehenley at kc

Oct 17, 2011, 8:15 PM

DLNA server? [In reply to]

I've got a Samsung LED TV (model UN46C8000XF) which has a DLNA client on
it. I've used it to watch MythTV recordings via the Myth back-end DLNA
server. Works a treat.

mythtv at rtr

Oct 18, 2011, 7:01 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 11-10-17 04:18 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> VLC allows me to see the content lists... but trying to play anything
> causes a segfault.

My Samsung TV can browse/play videos and recordings from the mythbackend.
I also just now tried VLC: quite a bit buggier, but it could play recordings
(though not videos).

Cheers

roger.searle at gmail

Oct 18, 2011, 1:50 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 18/10/11 16:15, Joe Henley wrote:
> I've got a Samsung LED TV (model UN46C8000XF) which has a DLNA client on
> it. I've used it to watch MythTV recordings via the Myth back-end DLNA
> server. Works a treat.
I can confirm a Panasonic TH-P42ST30Z also "just works" via DLNA to play
recorded TV on a Myth BE. A pleasing discovery and probably makes the
need for a FE for that TV redundant - unless I want further duplication
of functions such as scheduling recordings that I can perform via MythWeb.

Cheers,
Roger

gjhurlbu at gmail

Oct 18, 2011, 2:21 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Roger Searle <roger.searle [at] gmail> wrote:
> I can confirm a Panasonic TH-P42ST30Z also "just works" via DLNA to play
> recorded TV on a Myth BE.  A pleasing discovery and probably makes the need
> for a FE for that TV redundant - unless I want further duplication of
> functions such as scheduling recordings that I can perform via MythWeb.

Or such lovely things as... commercial skipping, playback at
accelerated speed, etc. :)

hooliowobbits at gmail

Oct 18, 2011, 3:15 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On 19 October 2011 08:21, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
> Or such lovely things as... commercial skipping, playback at
> accelerated speed, etc. :)

or watch-lists, or seeking, or recording groups or metadata display,
fan art.. the list goes on and on. imho you do need a FE to really
enjoy what my has to offer.

--
Kind regards, Jules

"..If you are respectful by habit, constantly honoring the worthy,
four things increase; long life, beauty, happiness, strength.."
Righto, I'd better get respecting :)

roger.searle at gmail

Oct 18, 2011, 4:20 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

19/10/11 11:15, Julius Roberts wrote:
> On 19 October 2011 08:21, Gavin Hurlbut<gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Or such lovely things as... commercial skipping, playback at
>> accelerated speed, etc. :)
> or watch-lists, or seeking, or recording groups or metadata display,
> fan art.. the list goes on and on. imho you do need a FE to really
> enjoy what my has to offer.
Is it obvious I'm new to front ends and the numerous possibilities of
MythTV? I would now like to modify my earlier comment to say that I
will enjoy being able to use the rather limited capability of the TV to
access the BE via DLNA until such time as I build a Front End :)

My very brief play with it this morning did reveal that I can do various
skips forward (short and longer) though it was far from obvious (as in,
had to guess) which buttons on the TV remote should be pressed. Not
nearly as fun as mythmote on my phone, and yet another reason for a FE.

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 18, 2011, 8:16 PM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Roger Searle <roger.searle [at] gmail> wrote:
> 19/10/11 11:15, Julius Roberts wrote:
>
> On 19 October 2011 08:21, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> Or such lovely things as... commercial skipping, playback at
> accelerated speed, etc. :)
>
> or watch-lists, or seeking, or recording groups or metadata display,
> fan art.. the list goes on and on. imho you do need a FE to really
> enjoy what my has to offer.
>
> Is it obvious I'm new to front ends and the numerous possibilities of
> MythTV?  I would now like to modify my earlier comment to say that I will
> enjoy being able to use the rather limited capability of the TV to access
> the BE via DLNA until such time as I build a Front End :)
>
> My very brief play with it this morning did reveal that I can do various
> skips forward (short and longer) though it was far from obvious (as in, had
> to guess) which buttons on the TV remote should be pressed.  Not nearly as
> fun as mythmote on my phone, and yet another reason for a FE.

My LG does DLNA to the backend, but plays back recorded TV with the
wrong aspect ratio. Skipping etc is hit and miss.

I have also played with plex, which has some tie up with LG and works
quite well, but the whole interface is quite clunky.

Frankly I prefer a frontend and/or xbmc.

kkuphal at gmail

Oct 19, 2011, 6:19 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley [at] kc> wrote:

> I've got a Samsung LED TV (model UN46C8000XF) which has a DLNA client on
> it. I've used it to watch MythTV recordings via the Myth back-end DLNA
> server. Works a treat.

Better than reporting to the mailing list, update the Wiki page

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP_Client_Info

Kevin

joehenley at kc

Oct 20, 2011, 6:51 AM

DLNA server? [In reply to]

>> I've got a Samsung LED TV (model UN46C8000XF) which has a DLNA client on
>> it. I've used it to watch MythTV recordings via the Myth back-end DLNA
>> server. Works a treat.
>>

> Better than reporting to the mailing list, update the Wiki page
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP_Client_Info
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

Sounds like a good idea. I didn't know the site (wiki topic) existed.
But when I went to the site, it doesn't look like they want info on TV's.

Joe Henley

tom at redpepperracing

Oct 20, 2011, 6:58 AM

Re: DLNA server? [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Joe Henley <joehenley [at] kc> wrote:

> >> I've got a Samsung LED TV (model UN46C8000XF) which has a DLNA client on
> >> it. I've used it to watch MythTV recordings via the Myth back-end DLNA
> >> server. Works a treat.
> >>

> > Better than reporting to the mailing list, update the Wiki page
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP_Client_Info
> >
> > Kevin
>
> Kevin,
>
> Sounds like a good idea. I didn't know the site (wiki topic) existed.
> But when I went to the site, it doesn't look like they want info on TV's.
>
> Joe Henley
>
> I don't see anywhere that it says you can't add a TV to the list. Just use
type 'TV' ?

Tom