Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Looking for DVB-C card with CI support

roger.martensson at gmail

Sep 7, 2011, 9:51 AM

Looking for DVB-C card with CI support

Hi!

The place where I live is changing cable operator and now to actually be
able to see most of my channels I need a box.

Most boxes here in sweden does not offer HD-output that is easy to
record. So HD-PVR is no option. :(

So I'm looking for a DVB-C PCI card or USB-device that has full support
for CI(conax) that works with Linux and ofcourse MythTV(my HTPC-box
since 0.19). Ohyes.. It has to support HD recordings too. If there is a
difference. I know we have to use DVB-T2 here in sweden for HD-channels
on-the-air. I see there are cards with HD in their name but still says
it's DVB-C.

Anyone having any luck with these?

The card should be able to buy too. A 5 year old card that works but not
sold is not that good.

jan at horde

Sep 8, 2011, 1:50 AM

Re: Looking for DVB-C card with CI support [In reply to]

Zitat von Roger Mårtensson <roger.martensson [at] gmail>:

> Hi!
>
> The place where I live is changing cable operator and now to actually be
> able to see most of my channels I need a box.
>
> Most boxes here in sweden does not offer HD-output that is easy to
> record. So HD-PVR is no option. :(
>
> So I'm looking for a DVB-C PCI card or USB-device that has full support
> for CI(conax) that works with Linux and ofcourse MythTV(my HTPC-box
> since 0.19). Ohyes.. It has to support HD recordings too. If there is a
> difference. I know we have to use DVB-T2 here in sweden for HD-channels
> on-the-air. I see there are cards with HD in their name but still says
> it's DVB-C.
>
> Anyone having any luck with these?
>
> The card should be able to buy too. A 5 year old card that works but not
> sold is not that good.

Whether there is HD in the name or not doesn't matter at all, because
all DVB-C cards pass the raw DVB stream through the driver to the
recording system. At least any DVB-C card that I know. You basically
record directly what you are getting through the cable. Whether you
are able to watch this depends on your software and video hardware.
I for example am running a DVB-C card that also exists in a "HD"
edition, of course more expensive. The only difference is that it
ships with Windows software to support the decoding of the HD stream.
Very useful if you want to run MythTV.

I can't speak for Conax or Swedish DVB-C providers, but I am happy in
Germany with my Satelco EasyWatch which is basically the same like the
KNC1 (same chipset). Both have CIs. See
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/

roger.martensson at gmail

Sep 8, 2011, 1:29 PM

Re: Looking for DVB-C card with CI support [In reply to]

Thanks for the information.
I did a search for it on dvbshop.net bit found only a "basic editon". Wonder
if it has any connectors for the CI-adapter i also found on the shop.

Think i will drop them a mail and ask.
Den 8 sep 2011 10:50 skrev "Jan Schneider" <jan [at] horde>:

> Zitat von Roger Mårtensson <roger.martensson [at] gmail>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The place where I live is changing cable operator and now to actually be
>> able to see most of my channels I need a box.
>>
>> Most boxes here in sweden does not offer HD-output that is easy to
>> record. So HD-PVR is no option. :(
>>
>> So I'm looking for a DVB-C PCI card or USB-device that has full support
>> for CI(conax) that works with Linux and ofcourse MythTV(my HTPC-box
>> since 0.19). Ohyes.. It has to support HD recordings too. If there is a
>> difference. I know we have to use DVB-T2 here in sweden for HD-channels
>> on-the-air. I see there are cards with HD in their name but still says
>> it's DVB-C.
>>
>> Anyone having any luck with these?
>>
>> The card should be able to buy too. A 5 year old card that works but not
>> sold is not that good.
>
> Whether there is HD in the name or not doesn't matter at all, because
> all DVB-C cards pass the raw DVB stream through the driver to the
> recording system. At least any DVB-C card that I know. You basically
> record directly what you are getting through the cable. Whether you
> are able to watch this depends on your software and video hardware.
> I for example am running a DVB-C card that also exists in a "HD"
> edition, of course more expensive. The only difference is that it
> ships with Windows software to support the decoding of the HD stream.
> Very useful if you want to run MythTV.
>
> I can't speak for Conax or Swedish DVB-C providers, but I am happy in
> Germany with my Satelco EasyWatch which is basically the same like the
> KNC1 (same chipset). Both have CIs. See
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards.
>
> Jan.

> http://horde.org/consulting/

roger.martensson at gmail

Sep 8, 2011, 1:31 PM

Re: Looking for DVB-C card with CI support [In reply to]

(resend to the list.)