Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

hd-pvr colossus drivers?

g8ecj at gilks

Sep 6, 2011, 9:48 PM

hd-pvr colossus drivers?

Anyone know if the Hauppauge HD-PVR Colossus has Linux drivers available yet?
Last info I saw was back in January and am wondering if any progress has
made...

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Sep 6, 2011, 9:50 PM

Re: hd-pvr colossus drivers? [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj [at] gilks> wrote:
> Anyone know if the Hauppauge HD-PVR Colossus has Linux drivers available yet?
> Last info I saw was back in January and am wondering if any progress has
> made...

Last I heard from well-placed sources, there was no progress on
drivers, and little chance of there being any due to it being a
completely different chip vendor from the external HD-PVR, and that
vendor having no desire to support Linux development.

Robert

g8ecj at gilks

Sep 7, 2011, 5:02 AM

Re: hd-pvr colossus drivers? [In reply to]

>> Anyone know if the Hauppauge HD-PVR Colossus has Linux drivers available
>> yet?
>> Last info I saw was back in January and am wondering if any progress has
>> made...
>
> Last I heard from well-placed sources, there was no progress on
> drivers, and little chance of there being any due to it being a
> completely different chip vendor from the external HD-PVR, and that
> vendor having no desire to support Linux development.
>
> Robert

What a shame. I was really just looking for improved SD capture as the
PVR150 I use to get the svideo from my STB is starting to get flakey. I
guess I'll be trawling eBay or changing electrolytic caps on the existing
board.

Thanks for the update though

--
Robin Gilks

eriksjunk at laurelwoodart

Sep 9, 2011, 7:31 PM

Re: hd-pvr colossus drivers? [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail> wrote:
> Last I heard from well-placed sources, there was no progress on
> drivers, and little chance of there being any due to it being a
> completely different chip vendor from the external HD-PVR, and that
> vendor having no desire to support Linux development.
>
> Robert

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to reverse engineer the card by
putting the card in a Linux system with an IOMMU, attaching it to a
Windows VM, and monitoring communication with the card in some way?
Perhaps using the kernel's memory-mapped I/O tracing functionality?

Thanks,
Erik