Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Is it safe to delete caches?

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


billk at iinet

Jul 3, 2011, 5:17 PM

Post #1 of 6 (946 views)
Permalink
Is it safe to delete caches?

I have over 700MB in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/osdcache and
~mythtv/.mythtv/themecache directories - is it safe to delete them? -
some of the files go back many years (ancient myths!)

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk [at] iinet>
Home in Perth!

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jul 3, 2011, 5:20 PM

Post #2 of 6 (914 views)
Permalink
Re: Is it safe to delete caches? [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, William Kenworthy <billk [at] iinet> wrote:
> I have over 700MB in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/osdcache and
> ~mythtv/.mythtv/themecache directories - is it safe to delete them? -
> some of the files go back many years (ancient myths!)

Yes, it's perfectly safe. Anything which is needed will be recreated.

Robert
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 5, 2011, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 6 (885 views)
Permalink
Re: Is it safe to delete caches? [In reply to]

On 07/03/2011 08:20 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> I have over 700MB in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/osdcache and
>> ~mythtv/.mythtv/themecache directories - is it safe to delete them? -
>> some of the files go back many years (ancient myths!)
> Yes, it's perfectly safe. Anything which is needed will be recreated.
>

But you should probably restart mythfrontend, after, right?

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jul 5, 2011, 7:04 AM

Post #4 of 6 (880 views)
Permalink
Re: Is it safe to delete caches? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 07/03/2011 08:20 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
>>> I have over 700MB in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/osdcache and
>>> ~mythtv/.mythtv/themecache directories - is it safe to delete them? -
>>> some of the files go back many years (ancient myths!)
>> Yes, it's perfectly safe.  Anything which is needed will be recreated.
>>
>
> But you should probably restart mythfrontend, after, right?
>
> Mike

Right. Well, I guess in theory it *might* work anyway, but I wouldn't
want to test the theory.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


spikeygg.mythbox at gmail

Aug 11, 2012, 9:26 AM

Post #5 of 6 (686 views)
Permalink
Re: Is it safe to delete caches? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>
> wrote:
> > On 07/03/2011 08:20 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> >> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
> >>> I have over 700MB in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/osdcache and
> >>> ~mythtv/.mythtv/themecache directories - is it safe to delete them? -
> >>> some of the files go back many years (ancient myths!)
> >> Yes, it's perfectly safe. Anything which is needed will be recreated.
> >>
> >
> > But you should probably restart mythfrontend, after, right?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Right. Well, I guess in theory it *might* work anyway, but I wouldn't
> want to test the theory.
>

I'm in the process of rearranging the hard disk structure in a new system
and looking through the old file system I found that my osdcache directory
was 520MB! Apparently this directory has been retired as it doesn't exist
in my new .mythtv directory structure. However, I do see a themecache
directory that currently holds 534MB. This is probably normal, right?


mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 11, 2012, 9:51 AM

Post #6 of 6 (685 views)
Permalink
Re: Is it safe to delete caches? [In reply to]

On 08/11/2012 12:26 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> I'm in the process of rearranging the hard disk structure in a new
> system and looking through the old file system I found that my
> osdcache directory was 520MB! Apparently this directory has been
> retired as it doesn't exist in my new .mythtv directory structure.
> However, I do see a themecache directory that currently holds 534MB.
> This is probably normal, right?

Yes, that's pretty normal. It's always safe to delete the caches when
mythfrontend is shut down, and should be OK to delete them while
mythfrontend is running if you restart mythfrontend immediately after.

You can delete them with:

rm -rf $HOME/.mythtv/{*cache,Cache-*}

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.