Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


brianr69 at gmail

Apr 13, 2011, 8:43 PM

Post #1 of 20 (4515 views)
Permalink
SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

A while ago, I posted a question about MythTV vs. Windows Media Center. My
initial question was harmless... I wanted to know why I would choose one
over the other as I had no experience with either.

Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.

I downloaded the "Mythbuntu" installation disc. I installed it on my
system, and it crashed.

However, after all your responses, I am happy to report that my Myth
installation disc is now working flawlessly... as a coaster.

My rum and coke is sitting on it right now! It works perfectly. As does my
Windows Media Center PC! It's awesome! Thanks so much for making my choice
obvious. If it were not for your holier-than-thou responses, I wouldn't have
so quickly chosen Windows.

Thanks. FOSS works for me.

Brian


brian.phillips at byu

Apr 13, 2011, 8:49 PM

Post #2 of 20 (4469 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.

Thanks for the example of an unobnoxious reply!

Brian

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


yan at seiner

Apr 13, 2011, 8:49 PM

Post #3 of 20 (4468 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
>
>
> My rum and coke is sitting on it right now! It works perfectly.
Whatever works for you.... Enjoy your rum and coke.

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My tv is Taiwanese. My country's politics are Byzantine. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese. My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


brianr69 at gmail

Apr 13, 2011, 9:23 PM

Post #4 of 20 (4468 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious. I'm sure you can tell.

Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post". My apologies. I'm sure this has
offended many of you FOSS purists. I'm sure you'll promptly ban me for my
transgressions. Quick! Find a crucifix and nail me to it!

I guess the point I'm trying to make (with quite a bit of satire) is that if
you folks weren't so rigid, maybe more people would take up your cause.
Microsoft didn't make it to their level by pissing off their potential
users.

I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
product (for free). However, if you want to attract a larger audience...
(to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more flies with honey than
with vinegar.

I was honestly interested in Myth. However, after such negative responses
as I received, it totally turned me away from Myth.

Yes, I have a lot more experience with Windows than with Linux but I LOVE
the idea of learning new things.

The responses I received here were what turned me completely away from Myth
(that, and the fact that the "simple" Mythbuntu installation wouldn't even
run on my hardware). Conversely, I've received nothing but helpful,
positive responses in similar forums that are dedicated to Windows Media
Center. Those folks go the extra mile and don't criticize when someone asks
a stupid question.

Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media
Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a single
Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new tricks... but
it serves my needs and more. The machine I built is silent, cool, and does
everything I've read that Myth can do. Yes, I spent quite a bit of money on
the machine and the extenders to make them do what I want to do... but it's
very solid... and reliability is very important to me. I'm pretty anal when
it comes to building a reliable machine that will stand the test of time...
I don't cut corners... so that's a big part of why I spent the amount of
money that I did. The machine is overkill. It rarely runs at more than 20%
of capacity in either CPU, disc I/O or network I/O. It will probably still
be doing its job in 10 years... just like every over-built machine I've ever
owned.

I'm sure I'll receive a lot of flames from this message, but I really don't
care. I'll be deleting my Myth account pretty soon anyway.

I hope you'll reply to future requests from newbies who challenge your
pre-conceived notions with more care than you replied to mine.



On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips [at] byu>wrote:

> brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> > Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.
>
> Thanks for the example of an unobnoxious reply!
>
> Brian
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


mwmcmlln at mnsi

Apr 13, 2011, 9:36 PM

Post #5 of 20 (4527 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 23:43 -0400, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> A while ago, I posted a question about MythTV vs. Windows Media
> Center. My initial question was harmless... I wanted to know why I
> would choose one over the other as I had no experience with either.
>
>
> Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.
>
>
> I downloaded the "Mythbuntu" installation disc. I installed it on my
> system, and it crashed.
>
>
> However, after all your responses, I am happy to report that my Myth
> installation disc is now working flawlessly... as a coaster.
>
>
> My rum and coke is sitting on it right now! It works perfectly. As
> does my Windows Media Center PC! It's awesome! Thanks so much for
> making my choice obvious. If it were not for your holier-than-thou
> responses, I wouldn't have so quickly chosen Windows.
>
>
> Thanks. FOSS works for me.

IIRC, I was late to that discussion, and by the time I had posted that
you could contact me off list and we'd work on it together, you had
gone. As to the install disk for myth-buntu?, well that's what I did
with it too, I got Ubuntu, installed that, added a repository and got
myth control centre, which made setting up myth on Ubuntu a real walk in
the park as compared to my getting Myth up and running in openSuSE.

If your actually serious about trying mythtv, I'll remake the offer,
if not enjoy your coaster.


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv-users at westbrook

Apr 14, 2011, 1:29 AM

Post #6 of 20 (4450 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of rule 14 of the
Internet.

Thanks,
Eric


lists at glidos

Apr 14, 2011, 5:08 AM

Post #7 of 20 (4434 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 14/04/2011 05:23, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
> free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media
> Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a
> single Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new
> tricks... but it serves my needs and more.

I wonder about trying something other than MythTv at times, but there
are three features I'd have trouble living without now. How does Media
Centre compare on these:

Scheduling: all I do is pick the the series I want to record and tell
Mythtv to record the episode where ever it can find them. It sorts out
for me exactly when and on which channel, moving things about to avoid
ever trying to record more programs at once than my tuners can handle.
It will find HD transmissions if possible and fall back to SD if it
can't - and also avoid repeats of course.

Bookmarks: it doesn't matter what I'm watching, recorded TV, downloaded
videos or DVDs, if I stop watching something and go back to it later,
Myth has remembered where I was in it.

MultiRec: I can record many more programs simultaneously than I have
tuners, provided some share a multiplex.

Cheers,
Paul.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


bhaskins at chartermi

Apr 14, 2011, 6:38 AM

Post #8 of 20 (4427 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious. I'm sure you can tell.
>
> Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post". My apologies. I'm sure this
> has offended many of you FOSS purists. I'm sure you'll promptly ban
> me for my transgressions. Quick! Find a crucifix and nail me to it!
>
> I guess the point I'm trying to make (with quite a bit of satire) is
> that if you folks weren't so rigid, maybe more people would take up
> your cause. Microsoft didn't make it to their level by pissing off
> their potential users.
I'm sure that you will find many! on this list that are 100% totally
pissed off a microcrap.
WPE and WGA are just two good reasons to flush their ~!@# where ~!@#
should be flushed.
>
> I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
> product (for free). However, if you want to attract a larger
> audience... (to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more
> flies with honey than with vinegar.
>
> I was honestly interested in Myth. However, after such negative
> responses as I received, it totally turned me away from Myth.
>
> Yes, I have a lot more experience with Windows than with Linux but I
> LOVE the idea of learning new things.
>
> The responses I received here were what turned me completely away from
> Myth (that, and the fact that the "simple" Mythbuntu installation
> wouldn't even run on my hardware). Conversely, I've received nothing
> but helpful, positive responses in similar forums that are dedicated
> to Windows Media Center. Those folks go the extra mile and don't
> criticize when someone asks a stupid question.
>
> Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
> free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media
> Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a
> single Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new
> tricks... but it serves my needs and more. The machine I built is
> silent, cool, and does everything I've read that Myth can do. Yes, I
> spent quite a bit of money on the machine and the extenders to make
> them do what I want to do... but it's very solid... and reliability is
> very important to me. I'm pretty anal when it comes to building a
> reliable machine that will stand the test of time... I don't cut
> corners... so that's a big part of why I spent the amount of money
> that I did. The machine is overkill. It rarely runs at more than 20%
> of capacity in either CPU, disc I/O or network I/O. It will probably
> still be doing its job in 10 years... just like every over-built
> machine I've ever owned.
>
> I'm sure I'll receive a lot of flames from this message, but I really
> don't care. I'll be deleting my Myth account pretty soon anyway.
>
> I hope you'll reply to future requests from newbies who challenge your
> pre-conceived notions with more care than you replied to mine.
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Brian Phillips
> <brian.phillips [at] byu <mailto:brian.phillips [at] byu>> wrote:
>
> brianr69 [at] gmail <mailto:brianr69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.
>
> Thanks for the example of an unobnoxious reply!
>
> Brian
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv <mailto:mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jedi at mishnet

Apr 14, 2011, 6:57 AM

Post #9 of 20 (4439 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:23:00AM -0400, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious. I'm sure you can tell.
>
> Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post". My apologies. I'm sure this has
> offended many of you FOSS purists. I'm sure you'll promptly ban me for my

I don't use MythTV because I am a purist. I use MythTV because it is a
step up from a Tivo.

[deletia]

> Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
> free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media

Like multi-room use?

> Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a single
> Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new tricks... but
> it serves my needs and more. The machine I built is silent, cool, and does
> everything I've read that Myth can do. Yes, I spent quite a bit of money on
> the machine and the extenders to make them do what I want to do... but it's

MCE "extenders" are very much a double edged sword, or blunt butter knife
depending on your point of view. One nice thing about the whole HTPC thing is
the fact that you can usually get around the limitations of appliances.

[deletia]

With your attitude, it is little wonder that you got flamed.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jedi at mishnet

Apr 14, 2011, 7:05 AM

Post #10 of 20 (4437 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 14/04/2011 05:23, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
> > Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
> > free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> > accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media
> > Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a
> > single Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new
> > tricks... but it serves my needs and more.
>
> I wonder about trying something other than MythTv at times, but there
> are three features I'd have trouble living without now. How does Media
> Centre compare on these:
>
> Scheduling: all I do is pick the the series I want to record and tell
> Mythtv to record the episode where ever it can find them. It sorts out
> for me exactly when and on which channel, moving things about to avoid
> ever trying to record more programs at once than my tuners can handle.
> It will find HD transmissions if possible and fall back to SD if it
> can't - and also avoid repeats of course.
>
> Bookmarks: it doesn't matter what I'm watching, recorded TV, downloaded
> videos or DVDs, if I stop watching something and go back to it later,
> Myth has remembered where I was in it.

...an important feature of Bookmarks is that you can pick up your recording
in whatever room you want. If you have multiple frontends, your entire PVR
"cluster" appears to be one single massive machine.

[deletia]
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


infinisource at gmail

Apr 14, 2011, 9:37 AM

Post #11 of 20 (4419 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

Funny, this went to my spam box. If Myth works for you great, if not, move
on which obviously you did, but don't complain about it for all the world to
see. Maybe the reason why you never received a response from the list was
HOW you presented yourself to the group. Just a thought.

Open Source Software is not without it's faults (same can be said about
Microsoft Software). I wish you luck in Windows World. I personally tried
Media Center and detested the fact that I was not in control of the
recordings as the file types themselves were DRM'd to hell and back. That's
why I chose to work through setting MythTV up 2 years ago.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM, brianr69 [at] gmail <brianr69 [at] gmail>wrote:

> Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious. I'm sure you can tell.
>
> Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post". My apologies. I'm sure this has
> offended many of you FOSS purists. I'm sure you'll promptly ban me for my
> transgressions. Quick! Find a crucifix and nail me to it!
>
> I guess the point I'm trying to make (with quite a bit of satire) is that
> if you folks weren't so rigid, maybe more people would take up your cause.
> Microsoft didn't make it to their level by pissing off their potential
> users.
>
> I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
> product (for free). However, if you want to attract a larger audience...
> (to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more flies with honey than
> with vinegar.
>
> I was honestly interested in Myth. However, after such negative responses
> as I received, it totally turned me away from Myth.
>
> Yes, I have a lot more experience with Windows than with Linux but I LOVE
> the idea of learning new things.
>
> The responses I received here were what turned me completely away from Myth
> (that, and the fact that the "simple" Mythbuntu installation wouldn't even
> run on my hardware). Conversely, I've received nothing but helpful,
> positive responses in similar forums that are dedicated to Windows Media
> Center. Those folks go the extra mile and don't criticize when someone asks
> a stupid question.
>
> Media Center isn't perfect. However, there is a TON of
> free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> accomplishes everything that I want to do. I now have a working Media
> Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a single
> Windows PC. Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new tricks... but
> it serves my needs and more. The machine I built is silent, cool, and does
> everything I've read that Myth can do. Yes, I spent quite a bit of money on
> the machine and the extenders to make them do what I want to do... but it's
> very solid... and reliability is very important to me. I'm pretty anal when
> it comes to building a reliable machine that will stand the test of time...
> I don't cut corners... so that's a big part of why I spent the amount of
> money that I did. The machine is overkill. It rarely runs at more than 20%
> of capacity in either CPU, disc I/O or network I/O. It will probably still
> be doing its job in 10 years... just like every over-built machine I've ever
> owned.
>
> I'm sure I'll receive a lot of flames from this message, but I really don't
> care. I'll be deleting my Myth account pretty soon anyway.
>
> I hope you'll reply to future requests from newbies who challenge your
> pre-conceived notions with more care than you replied to mine.
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips [at] byu>wrote:
>
>> brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
>> > Many of the replies I received were quite obnoxious.
>>
>> Thanks for the example of an unobnoxious reply!
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>


chris at westnet

Apr 14, 2011, 10:52 AM

Post #12 of 20 (4425 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, E. Westbrook wrote:

> I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of rule 14 of the Internet.

Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line ?

==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


Jim at Morton

Apr 14, 2011, 11:21 AM

Post #13 of 20 (4418 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 4/14/2011 1:52 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, E. Westbrook wrote:
>
>> I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of rule 14 of the Internet.
> Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line ?
>
Close but not quite.

rule 14:
Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win.
By responding to trollbait in an online forum or chatroom, the troller
automatically gains victory regardless of the level of maturity of the
bait or subsequent responses to said bait.

--
_________________________________________________________

Jim

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Apr 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

Post #14 of 20 (4413 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 04/14/2011 02:21 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> On 4/14/2011 1:52 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, E. Westbrook wrote:
>>> I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of rule 14 of the Internet.
>> Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line ?
> Close but not quite.
>
> rule 14:
> Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win.
> By responding to trollbait in an online forum or chatroom, the troller
> automatically gains victory regardless of the level of maturity of the
> bait or subsequent responses to said bait.


But... http://xkcd.com/386/

Mike

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Apr 14, 2011, 11:42 AM

Post #15 of 20 (4416 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Paul Friedrichsmeyer
<infinisource [at] gmail> wrote:
> Funny, this went to my spam box.

Mine too. I'm still not sure if that was a misclassification or not.

When Brian posted initially back in February, there was pretty broad
agreement that he should not use MythTV. I can't say that the result
here is surprising, outside of the amazing way gmail's spam filter
recognized the troll.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv-users at westbrook

Apr 14, 2011, 4:09 PM

Post #16 of 20 (4393 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:22, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> But... http://xkcd.com/386/
>

LOL and well played.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:42, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Paul Friedrichsmeyer
> <infinisource [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Funny, this went to my spam box.
>
> Mine too. I'm still not sure if that was a misclassification or not.
>

Classified the same here, and I'm curious what triggered it. I have a gmail
filter rule to never classify mythtv mail as spam, and sometimes, as in this
case, gmail (google apps) adds a little alert header telling me it would
have gone to spam otherwise.

$0.02,
Eric


brent at brentnorris

Apr 14, 2011, 5:42 PM

Post #17 of 20 (4387 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 4/13/2011 11:23 PM, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:

> I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
> product (for free). However, if you want to attract a larger
> audience... (to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more flies
> with honey than with vinegar.
>

They get this a lot on the Fedora list and their answer is always
something along the lines of "What makes you think we want a wider
audience?"

The people that write MythTV do it because they want something for
themselves. They are just nice enough to post their results on the
internet for the rest of us.

No where have I ever read that Isaac or anyone else is attempting to
convince people to use MythTV. No where have I ever read that they were
attempting to attract a larger audience.

Also (for the most part) it seems that the people that work on MythTV
aren't the people on this list.

Bren
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jedi at mishnet

Apr 14, 2011, 5:58 PM

Post #18 of 20 (4389 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 05:09:10PM -0600, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:22, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:
>
> > But... http://xkcd.com/386/
> >

They should put this one on a t-shirt... much better than a sudo sandwich.

[deletia]
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


weekleyj at foobarlabs

Apr 14, 2011, 7:04 PM

Post #19 of 20 (4381 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 04/14/2011 07:42 PM, Brent Norris wrote:
> On 4/13/2011 11:23 PM, brianr69 [at] gmail wrote:
>
>> I understand how much time and dedication it has taken to develop your
>> product (for free). However, if you want to attract a larger
>> audience... (to quote an old southern-USA saying) you'll get more flies
>> with honey than with vinegar.
>>
> They get this a lot on the Fedora list and their answer is always
> something along the lines of "What makes you think we want a wider
> audience?"
>
> The people that write MythTV do it because they want something for
> themselves. They are just nice enough to post their results on the
> internet for the rest of us.
>
> No where have I ever read that Isaac or anyone else is attempting to
> convince people to use MythTV. No where have I ever read that they were
> attempting to attract a larger audience.
>
> Also (for the most part) it seems that the people that work on MythTV
> aren't the people on this list.
>
> Bren

I thank everyone for their hard work. It took about 1 1/2 years to sort
through various hardware and software issues, but I'm glad I
persevered. Mythtv is everything other PVR software and hardware
packages aren't.

Hats off to everyone who has worked on MythTV!

John

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


trag at io

Apr 15, 2011, 8:00 AM

Post #20 of 20 (4358 views)
Permalink
Re: SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:22:58 -0400
> From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean [at] thirdcontact>

> On 04/14/2011 02:21 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
>> On 4/14/2011 1:52 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, E. Westbrook wrote:
>>>> I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of rule 14 of the
>>>> Internet.
>>> Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line ?
>> Close but not quite.
>>
>> rule 14:
>> Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win.
>> By responding to trollbait in an online forum or chatroom, the troller
>> automatically gains victory regardless of the level of maturity of the
>> bait or subsequent responses to said bait.
>
>
> But... http://xkcd.com/386/

On the other hand... http://xkcd.com/810/



_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.