Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Amazon Prime on MythTV

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Feb 22, 2011, 3:14 PM

Amazon Prime on MythTV

Has anyone gotten Amazon Prime to work on MythTV? This is the one thing I
hate about Netflix and am looking if it makes sense to jump ship (if they
start to get a decent number of movies streaming).

ryan.goat at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 4:58 AM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Dan Littlejohn
<dan.littlejohn [at] gmail> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Amazon Prime to work on MythTV?  This is the one thing I
> hate about Netflix and am looking if it makes sense to jump ship (if they
> start to get a decent number of movies streaming).

I did not do it through Mythbrowser. But last night I watched some
Amazon video shows through chromium on my mythfrontend box. I was
impressed with what I saw. In particular there were no
advertisements. Yes, thank you!

I have a browser plug-in that automatically disables flash. So I
can't remember the last time I actually used flashplayer. But the
amazon video flash applet performed quite well. It loaded quickly and
didn't hog CPU cycles. I'm not sure if that is because flashplayer
has improved since I last used it or what.

I was disappointed to not see an option to use the HTML5 <video> tag.
I'm sure amazon would have trouble getting the content providers to
agree to drop the adobe flash DRM.

Integrating Amazon video support into MythTV would be great. But I
guess they wont publish an open API for it. I would love to be proven
wrong though

-Ryan

memmott at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 1:06 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Dan Littlejohn
> <dan.littlejohn [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten Amazon Prime to work on MythTV? This is the one thing
> > hate about Netflix and am looking if it makes sense to jump ship (if they
> > start to get a decent number of movies streaming).
>
> I did not do it through Mythbrowser. But last night I watched some
> Amazon video shows through chromium on my mythfrontend box. I was
> impressed with what I saw. In particular there were no
> advertisements. Yes, thank you!
>
> I have a browser plug-in that automatically disables flash. So I
> can't remember the last time I actually used flashplayer. But the
> amazon video flash applet performed quite well. It loaded quickly and
> didn't hog CPU cycles. I'm not sure if that is because flashplayer
> has improved since I last used it or what.
>
> I was disappointed to not see an option to use the HTML5 <video> tag.
> I'm sure amazon would have trouble getting the content providers to
> agree to drop the adobe flash DRM.
>
> Integrating Amazon video support into MythTV would be great. But I
> guess they wont publish an open API for it. I would love to be proven
> wrong though
>
> -Ryan

It does look like they support Linux as a platform.

http://ostatic.com/blog/amazon-com-includes-linux-users-in-new-movie-streaming-service

I may pay the $79 just to show my support. I've been looking for some kind
of scraper via xbmc / navi-x / Boxee / Plex but haven't found anything yet.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 2:09 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

> It does look like they support Linux as a platform.
>
> http://ostatic.com/blog/amazon-com-includes-linux-users-in-new-movie-streaming-service
>
> I may pay the $79 just to show my support. I've been looking for some kind
> of scraper via xbmc / navi-x / Boxee / Plex but haven't found anything yet.

It's been out for like 48 hours.

Why not write a grabber for MythNetvision?

Robert

memmott at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 2:17 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
>

> > It does look like they support Linux as a platform.
> >

> http://ostatic.com/blog/amazon-com-includes-linux-users-in-new-movie-streaming-service
> >
> > I may pay the $79 just to show my support. I've been looking for some
> kind
> > of scraper via xbmc / navi-x / Boxee / Plex but haven't found anything
> yet.
>
> It's been out for like 48 hours.
>
> Why not write a grabber for MythNetvision?
>
> Robert

Amazon VOD's been out since at least 2008.

I'm dumb and don't know how to write code.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 2:20 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>> > It does look like they support Linux as a platform.
>> >

>> > http://ostatic.com/blog/amazon-com-includes-linux-users-in-new-movie-streaming-service
>> >
>> > I may pay the $79 just to show my support. I've been looking for some
>> > kind
>> > of scraper via xbmc / navi-x / Boxee / Plex but haven't found anything
>> > yet.
>>
>> It's been out for like 48 hours.
>>
>> Why not write a grabber for MythNetvision?
>>
>> Robert
>
> Amazon VOD's been out since at least 2008.
>
> I'm dumb and don't know how to write code.

Amazon Prime's free VOD is a different animal in most respects (ie,
there's not a billing trransaction per-viewing), and has been out
since like, Monday.

Anyhoo, it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
unrelated product. Just MHO.

Robert

memmott at gmail

Feb 23, 2011, 3:08 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert McNamara <
> robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>
> > wrote:

> http://ostatic.com/blog/amazon-com-includes-linux-users-in-new-movie-streaming-service

> >> It's been out for like 48 hours.
> >>
> >> Why not write a grabber for MythNetvision?
> >>
> >> Robert
> >
> > Amazon VOD's been out since at least 2008.
> >
> > I'm dumb and don't know how to write code.
>
> Amazon Prime's free VOD is a different animal in most respects (ie,
> there's not a billing trransaction per-viewing), and has been out
> since like, Monday.
>
> Anyhoo, it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
> our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
> lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
> unrelated product. Just MHO.
>
> Robert

Heh, fair enough, good points on both counts. I'll see what's involved in
setting up a grabber but I'm sure I'll break something.

ryan.goat at gmail

Feb 24, 2011, 11:21 AM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail> wrote:
> it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
> our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
> lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
> unrelated product.  Just MHO.
>
> Robert

First thing that comes to mind is the mythnetvision session will need
to feed the user's amazon login & password. So that will probably
need to be coded in somewhere.

-Ryan

mythtv at schdav

Mar 4, 2011, 11:23 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>
>> wrote:

>>> It's been out for like 48 hours.
>>>
>>> Why not write a grabber for MythNetvision?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>
>> Amazon VOD's been out since at least 2008.
>>
>> I'm dumb and don't know how to write code.
>
> Amazon Prime's free VOD is a different animal in most respects (ie,
> there's not a billing trransaction per-viewing), and has been out
> since like, Monday.
>
> Anyhoo, it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
> our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
> lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
> unrelated product.  Just MHO.
>
> Robert

I scratched my own itch and wrote a grabber for Amazon. So far just
have tree view working but hopefully I'll get searching implemented in
the next week or so.

It relies on screen scraping but the ToS didn't seem to prohibit it.
Anyway, I'll get it cleaned up and ready for public consumption soon.
Just thought I'd let the thread know!

David

george.galt at gmail

Mar 6, 2011, 6:06 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM, David Schlenk <mythtv [at] schdav> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Amazon VOD's been out since at least 2008.
>>>
>>> I'm dumb and don't know how to write code.
>>
>> Amazon Prime's free VOD is a different animal in most respects (ie,
>> there's not a billing trransaction per-viewing), and has been out
>> since like, Monday.
>>
>> Anyhoo, it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
>> our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
>> lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
>> unrelated product.  Just MHO.
>>
>> Robert
>>

> I scratched my own itch and wrote a grabber for Amazon. So far just
> have tree view working but hopefully I'll get searching implemented in
> the next week or so.
>
> It relies on screen scraping but the ToS didn't seem to prohibit it.
> Anyway, I'll get it cleaned up and ready for public consumption soon.
> Just thought I'd let the thread know!
>
> David

David:

I'm happy to be a guinea pig when you are ready.

George

mythtv at schdav

Mar 7, 2011, 2:02 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM, David Schlenk <mythtv [at] schdav> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Amazon Prime's free VOD is a different animal in most respects (ie,
>>> there's not a billing trransaction per-viewing), and has been out
>>> since like, Monday.
>>>
>>> Anyhoo, it would be nice to see people at least feign an interest in
>>> our plugin which is capable of such a thing (at least here on our
>>> lists) before hunting for a totally unrelated grabber on a totally
>>> unrelated product.  Just MHO.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>

>> I scratched my own itch and wrote a grabber for Amazon. So far just
>> have tree view working but hopefully I'll get searching implemented in
>> the next week or so.
>>
>> It relies on screen scraping but the ToS didn't seem to prohibit it.
>> Anyway, I'll get it cleaned up and ready for public consumption soon.
>> Just thought I'd let the thread know!
>>
>> David
>>

> David:
>
> I'm happy to be a guinea pig when you are ready.
>
> George

OK! I'm getting near ready for release, just need to clean up a couple
more things. Switched from Dish to DirecTV today so that's distracting
me slightly.

mythtv at schdav

Mar 9, 2011, 6:38 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM, David Schlenk <mythtv [at] schdav> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM, David Schlenk <mythtv [at] schdav> wrote:

>>> I scratched my own itch and wrote a grabber for Amazon. So far just
>>> have tree view working but hopefully I'll get searching implemented in
>>> the next week or so.
>>>
>>> It relies on screen scraping but the ToS didn't seem to prohibit it.
>>> Anyway, I'll get it cleaned up and ready for public consumption soon.
>>> Just thought I'd let the thread know!
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> David:
>>
>> I'm happy to be a guinea pig when you are ready.
>>
>> George
>
> OK! I'm getting near ready for release, just need to clean up a couple
> more things. Switched from Dish to DirecTV today so that's distracting
> me slightly.

And I have hit a bit of a roadblock. Apparently MythBrowser doesn't
persist cookies between sessions, so while I have the grabber working
properly there's not a good way to actually view the videos. So either
I have to implement persisting the cookie jar in MythBrowser or find a
way to post something to log in before actually pulling up the
video... guessing the former is more viable.

Robert perhaps you can confirm if I'm speaking the truth about cookies
being persisted between sessions?

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Mar 9, 2011, 6:49 PM

Re: Amazon Prime on MythTV [In reply to]

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM, David Schlenk <mythtv [at] schdav> wrote:

> And I have hit a bit of a roadblock. Apparently MythBrowser doesn't
> persist cookies between sessions, so while I have the grabber working
> properly there's not a good way to actually view the videos. So either
> I have to implement persisting the cookie jar in MythBrowser or find a
> way to post something to log in before actually pulling up the
> video... guessing the former is more viable.
>
> Robert perhaps you can confirm if I'm speaking the truth about cookies
> being persisted between sessions?

This sounds correct. You'll likely need to look at adding loading
cookies automatically in mythbrowser.

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qnetworkcookiejar.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qnetworkcookie.html

May be of some assistance. Once Amazon (or any other API someone
cares to add this kind of thing for) supports login via the API I can
give some thought to adding login/password handling in MNV/the
grabbers. It's not something I've given a great deal of thought to to
be honest but it is something that's on my radar. Mostly, I just need
to think of a clean and functional way to a) configure it in the UI
(not too big a deal, could have the grabber advertise that it requires
login and pop up a login/password dialog when the user attempts to
subscribe to the grabber, and b) make that information available to
the grabber (-u username -p password?) when run. So, not
insurmountable, but since Amazon doesn't have an API for logging in I
can probably defer making that decision/starting on that work for now.

Robert