Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 8:05 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:26:20PM -0800, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds [at] fiserv> wrote:
> > You didn't answer my main question.  How many hours of HD recording can
> > you get in Myth with 2TB of storage space?  Let's assume you're using
> > H.264.
>
> I get 1.1 gigabytes per 30 minutes on my hdpvr.
>
> Let's assume after formatting you get 1864 gigabytes free on that 2tb disk.
>
> That gets you about 847 hours of recordings.

Based on the raw data from my previous example, you would get:

1100 hours for the HD-PVR recording cable.

260 hours for the HDHomeRun recording the same HD show OTA.

[deletia]

bkamen at benjammin

Feb 14, 2011, 8:09 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/2011 9:59 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:

> Because anyone is allowed to move anyone's pins. I doubt they started there.

Yep. That's what happened. People would grab to move the map and accidentally moved a person.

-Ben

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 8:12 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:34:38PM -0800, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Reynolds, Brian
> <Brian.Reynolds [at] fiserv> wrote:
> > That's awesome.  How's the video quality compared to non-compressed?
>
> I don't notice any difference.

One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
may already be degraded. You might find that appreciate the extra clarity
in a pristine OTA broadcast signal.

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 8:13 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:00:30PM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Reynolds, Brian <Brian.Reynolds [at] fiserv> says:
> > How many hours of HD recording can you get in Myth with 2TB of
> > storage space? Let's assume you're using H.264.
>
> HD-PVR: 2000GB / 1.8GB per hour = ~1100 hours.
>
> HDHomeRun: 2000GB / 7GB per hour = ~266 hours.
>
> The HDHomeRun figure will in practice be larger than 266 since many HD
> channels over broadcast ATSC (or clear QAM cable) won't use the full
> available bitrate. A 5.4GB per hour bitrate equates to 370 hours, so
> 300 hours is about right given a typical mixture of bitrates.
>
> Conversely, while the default HD-PVR bitrate settings produce
> excellent HD video, using the maximum available bitrate will
> approximately double the space used per hour.

Do the max settings do anything in terms of quality though?

wdormann at gmail

Feb 14, 2011, 8:18 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/11 8:12 AM, jedi wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
> to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
> may already be degraded. You might find that appreciate the extra clarity
> in a pristine OTA broadcast signal.

For the sad truth in the above, check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

I would assume that OTA is better quality than FIOS, too.

FWIW, I can't tell the difference between my HD-PVR recordings and live
Comcast cable.

-WD

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 8:19 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:36:51PM +0000, David Watkins wrote:
> On 14 February 2011 11:14, Scott & Nicole Harris <snharris99 [at] live> wrote:
> >>It's intended as "MythTV in a box". I never liked it but then again I
> >>am very old school. To me MythBuntu is Ubuntu with a few more packages.
> >
> > Ubuntu with a lot LESS packages would be a more accurate description.
>
> Ubuntu with a lot FEWER packages would be even more accurate. [sorry]

Some come some go.

The main thing is that Ubuntu + mythbuntu-desktop is basically what a
copy of mythbuntu is. That could be regular desktop Ubuntu or the bare bones
server installer.

A Debian based distribution can change it's stripes very easily.

It's all in the package manager.

eric at lisaneric

Feb 14, 2011, 8:22 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
> to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
> may already be degraded.

As opposed to analog, which only allowed the cable companies to
degrade the signal with noise, ghost images, cross-talk from other
channels...

Eric

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 8:36 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:22:49AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
> > One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
> > to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
> > may already be degraded.
>
> As opposed to analog, which only allowed the cable companies to
> degrade the signal with noise, ghost images, cross-talk from other
> channels...

That sounds more like being subject to the limitations of physics
rather than transcoding content down to a lower bitrate or even a lower
resolution.

[deletia]

gregorio.gervasio at gmail

Feb 14, 2011, 9:02 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

> On 2/14/11 8:12 AM, jedi wrote:
>>
>> One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
>> to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
>> may already be degraded. You might find that appreciate the extra clarity
>> in a pristine OTA broadcast signal.

> For the sad truth in the above, check out:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

> I would assume that OTA is better quality than FIOS, too.
[...]

If you actually check that link, you'll see that it compares
Comcast against FIOS on non-OTA stations (eg. USA, Sci-Fi, AMC), so that
link doesn't support the claim that OTA stations are worse on cable.
Maybe someone else has done tests that support that claim, but I haven't
seen them.

In my area, I've seen that Comcast does *not* recompress OTA
stations, and the same channel on OTA and cable will look good or bad
depending on what the local station does (eg. what equipment they use to
reencode the national feed, how many SD sub-channels they have, ...)

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio [at] gmail

bkamen at benjammin

Feb 14, 2011, 9:31 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/2011 11:02 AM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

> In my area, I've seen that Comcast does *not* recompress OTA
> stations, and the same channel on OTA and cable will look good or bad
> depending on what the local station does (eg. what equipment they use to
> reencode the national feed, how many SD sub-channels they have, ...)

They don't seem to be doing it here either - although I'd have to check.

I think I'm running like 6-7GB/hr on HD OTA-via-Comcast Channels.

-Ben

wdormann at gmail

Feb 14, 2011, 9:40 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/11 9:02 AM, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
> If you actually check that link, you'll see that it compares
> Comcast against FIOS on non-OTA stations (eg. USA, Sci-Fi, AMC), so that
> link doesn't support the claim that OTA stations are worse on cable.
> Maybe someone else has done tests that support that claim, but I haven't
> seen them.

Ah, interesting. I can't say that I've checked that. But I can for
sure vouch for Comcast's awful quality for non-OTA HD channels at least.

-WD

belcampo at zonnet

Feb 14, 2011, 10:20 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

jedi wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 09:00:30PM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> Reynolds, Brian <Brian.Reynolds [at] fiserv> says:
>>> How many hours of HD recording can you get in Myth with 2TB of
>>> storage space? Let's assume you're using H.264.
>> HD-PVR: 2000GB / 1.8GB per hour = ~1100 hours.
>>
>> HDHomeRun: 2000GB / 7GB per hour = ~266 hours.
>>
>> The HDHomeRun figure will in practice be larger than 266 since many HD
>> channels over broadcast ATSC (or clear QAM cable) won't use the full
>> available bitrate. A 5.4GB per hour bitrate equates to 370 hours, so
>> 300 hours is about right given a typical mixture of bitrates.
>>
>> Conversely, while the default HD-PVR bitrate settings produce
>> excellent HD video, using the maximum available bitrate will
>> approximately double the space used per hour.
>
> Do the max settings do anything in terms of quality though?
Yes, but if that's perceivable depends on your eyes.

eric at lisaneric

Feb 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:22:49AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
>> > One thing to keep in mind is that digital allows for cable companies
>> > to recompress the signal themselves. So what you get from a cable company
>> > may already be degraded.
>>
>> As opposed to analog, which only allowed the cable companies to
>> degrade the signal with noise, ghost images, cross-talk from other
>> channels...
>
> That sounds more like being subject to the limitations of physics
> rather than transcoding content down to a lower bitrate or even a lower
> resolution.

This is a distinction without a difference. Your initial statement
implied "what you get from a cable company may already be degraded" is
a consequence of something that "digital allows", and that isn't true.

Cable companies recompress digital signals because they haven't
provisioned enough bandwidth to deliver the full signal. Likewise,
analog artifacts are introduced by similarly stingy resource
allocation.

Eric

bkamen at benjammin

Feb 14, 2011, 11:28 AM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/2011 1:22 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> This is a distinction without a difference. Your initial statement
> implied "what you get from a cable company may already be degraded" is
> a consequence of something that "digital allows", and that isn't true.
>
> Cable companies recompress digital signals because they haven't
> provisioned enough bandwidth to deliver the full signal. Likewise,
> analog artifacts are introduced by similarly stingy resource
> allocation.

Yep!

Like not enough trunk amps or bad EQ's that haven't been replaced since 1982... all sorts of reasons everywhere.

The big reason Comcast switched to all digital was so they could take all the SD channels and pack the freq space to bring in Xfinity
(and I'm sure other reasons).

Why should a dozen SD channels in analog take up 12 x 6MHz of bandwidth when we can stuff those channels into 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 the bandwidth and no one would know the difference on their crappy free converter box and not care?

-Ben

match at ece

Feb 14, 2011, 12:03 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 14 Feb 2011 at 1:47, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/13/2011 11:13 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:
> >> They use the exact same MythTV packages, but Mythbuntu doesn't run
> >> gnome so its a lighter weight solution.
> >>
> >> A little reading: About Mythbuntu section here: http://www.mythbuntu.org/
> >> Adding to Ubuntu: http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
> > It sounds like Myth for dummies. Perfect. Downloading now. Thanks.
>
> I prefer to think of it as MythTV on Ubuntu for people who don't want to
> re-invent the wheel.

Mike has it right.

I've built MythTV in about any way you can imagine. Beginning back in
the days of RedHat 9. I've compiled it from source, downloaded pre-
compiled packages for various distros, and run MythDora, KnoppMyth
and MythBuntu.

I actually prefer MythDora, but I'm using MythBuntu now just because
it's more current. Meh... blue vs red, it all works the same in the
end.

If you want to learn all the ins and outs then by all means, install
MythTV on an already installed system, and then figure out how to
make it work.

If you just want to have an excellent DVR based on MythTV, then one
of the pre-configured distros is the way to go. These just work if
you have well-behaved hardware, and practically configure themselves.

I don't want to compile or even configure much anymore, and I don't
want go off chasing drivers. I've been there, done that, and got the
T-shirt. I'll never go back, these Myth-centric distros are just too
easy.

Marvin

jedi at mishnet

Feb 14, 2011, 12:17 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 01:03:58PM -0700, match [at] ece wrote:

> > > It sounds like Myth for dummies. Perfect. Downloading now. Thanks.
> >
> > I prefer to think of it as MythTV on Ubuntu for people who don't want to
> > re-invent the wheel.
> >
> Mike has it right.

Yes. Except didn't Brian just have a problem with MythBuntu that he
would not have had with stock Ubuntu? As someone that's got a fresh
perspective, it would be interesting to see his take on the differences.

A lot of what makes MythTV work isn't just MythTV. It also includes
all of the hardware bits like his tuner and video card.

If everything goes off without a hitch, then the Myth Distro is
fine. Otherwise, it's probably more of a hassle.

Like I said. It will be interesting to get his take on it.

> I've built MythTV in about any way you can imagine. Beginning back in
> the days of RedHat 9. I've compiled it from source, downloaded pre-
> compiled packages for various distros, and run MythDora, KnoppMyth
> and MythBuntu.
>
> I actually prefer MythDora, but I'm using MythBuntu now just because
> it's more current. Meh... blue vs red, it all works the same in the
> end.

[deletia]

ylee at pobox

Feb 14, 2011, 12:30 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> says:
> Do the max settings do anything in terms of quality though?

Not really; I only changed them to try John Poet's advice to get the
maximum quality
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/441458#441458>).
Doing so makes a difference but I have to really look for it. Any such
difference really isn't much of one, so I probably ought to return to
the default.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg

nick.rout at gmail

Feb 14, 2011, 12:34 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

If everything goes off without a hitch, then the Myth Distro is
> fine. Otherwise, it's probably more of a hassle.
>
> Like I said. It will be interesting to get his take on it.
>

> > I've built MythTV in about any way you can imagine. Beginning back in
> > the days of RedHat 9. I've compiled it from source, downloaded pre-
> > compiled packages for various distros, and run MythDora, KnoppMyth
> > and MythBuntu.
> >
> > I actually prefer MythDora, but I'm using MythBuntu now just because
> > it's more current. Meh... blue vs red, it all works the same in the
> > end.

Brian, you might like to start a brand new thread once you start to install
mythbuntu. IE a brand new email (not a reply to an existing one) and a brand
new subject line, we'll start again as this thread is very long. There are
some not immediately apparent tweaks you will want to know about to get the
latest mythtv packages etc.

You might also be pleased to know that mythfrontend WILL work on windows, I
have had it working on two win7 machines but it did fail on a vista machine
for reasons i could not fathom.

ylee at pobox

Feb 14, 2011, 12:50 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

Tom Runner <tomj.runner [at] gmail> says:
> What is your recording settings to have 1.8Gb per hour with the
> HDPVR ? I let everything default and a standard movie (around 1h45)
> takes around 7-8 Gb, meaning an average of 4Gb per hour.

The cable box I use with the HD-PVR is set to 720p output, something I
should have mentioned. The 1.8GB/hour figure is with the default
bitrates for 720p
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/441456#441456>).

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg
Q: "Can't change Live TV channels w/multirec!" A: Hit NEXTCARD key
More answers @ <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/>

Brian.Reynolds at fiserv

Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

I'll see how I feel after I try installing it on my son's computer. His
has an nVidia card. I didn't have much time to mess with it last night.
I was hoping it might just work with the ATI card I had in that machine.
In between e-mail to/from this list yesterday, I was actually working
(for my employer) on a project that took me most of the day. My attempt
to install Mythbuntu was just a quick distraction. I didn't have time
to get very deep into it. This being Valentine's day, I doubt I'll get
to it tonight either... I think my girlfriend has plans for me. ;-)

Brian

bkamen at benjammin

Feb 14, 2011, 1:02 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/2011 2:56 PM, Reynolds, Brian wrote:

> I'll see how I feel after I try installing it on my son's computer. His
> has an nVidia card. I didn't have much time to mess with it last night.
> I was hoping it might just work with the ATI card I had in that machine.
> In between e-mail to/from this list yesterday, I was actually working
> (for my employer) on a project that took me most of the day. My attempt
> to install Mythbuntu was just a quick distraction. I didn't have time
> to get very deep into it. This being Valentine's day, I doubt I'll get
> to it tonight either... I think my girlfriend has plans for me. ;-)

I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..

So for at least 6 years (that I can think of), nVidia has been the card to get for Myth.

Again, I run KnoppMyth (not LinHES) from mysettopbox.tv and with the right hardware
it installs up off a single CD line an appliance - ready to go...

One of these days, I'll see about setting it up on a CentOS server I have running that I'd like to centralize against.
But we'll see. So many options, so little time. I love FOSS.

-Ben

Brian.Reynolds at fiserv

Feb 14, 2011, 1:06 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

> From: mythtv-users-bounces [at] mythtv
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces [at] mythtv] On Behalf Of Nick Rout

> Brian, you might like to start a brand new thread once you start to
install mythbuntu. IE a brand
> new email (not a reply to an existing one) and a brand new subject
line, we'll start again as this
> thread is very long. There are some not immediately apparent tweaks
you will want to know about
> to get the latest mythtv packages etc.
>
> You might also be pleased to know that mythfrontend WILL work on
windows,
> I have had it working on two win7 machines but it did fail on a vista
machine for reasons i could not fathom.

Nick, Vista isn't a favorite for many people. I have it on the laptop
supplied by my employer, mainly because our IT guy was too lazy to
install Windows 7. It took me a while to tweak Vista to eliminate some
nagging network problems, and now that it's finally stable, I don't want
him to touch it. I don't want to have to setup my whole machine again
on Win7... and he wanted to wipe it clean and start fresh.

I agree that this thread has gotten way off topic several times. That's
why I sent a separate one for my problems with Mythbuntu last night.

I'll be back if/when I have other questions. I'll see if I can get the
machine to boot up directly into WinXP again, probably tomorrow or
Thursday, and then I'll mess with Myth on my son's machine.

Brian

eric at lisaneric

Feb 14, 2011, 1:10 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen [at] benjammin> wrote:
> I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..

When using open source drivers, ATI's cards work better than Nvidia's.
When using closed source drivers, Nvidia's cards work better than
ATI's. Support for ATI has been improving in recent years.

Eric

bkamen at benjammin

Feb 14, 2011, 1:15 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 2/14/2011 3:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Ben Kamen<bkamen [at] benjammin> wrote:
>> I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..
>
> When using open source drivers, ATI's cards work better than Nvidia's.
> When using closed source drivers, Nvidia's cards work better than
> ATI's. Support for ATI has been improving in recent years.

I had wondered about that -- if they had caught up or not.

I just remember back in 2005, the fastest path from parts to MythTV was nVidia.

Well, heck, if it weren't for NTSC OTA going away, this All-In-Wonder could actually be good for something!
(tongue in cheek)

-Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 14, 2011, 1:25 PM

Re: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center [In reply to]

On 02/14/2011 04:10 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> I don't know if I missed the email - but ATI's Linux support in the past has been sketchy..
> When using open source drivers, ATI's cards work better than Nvidia's.
> When using closed source drivers, Nvidia's cards work better than
> ATI's. Support for ATI has been improving in recent years.

Pretty sure Brian was talking about trying to use an ATI All-in-Wonder
for capture. This won't work because the AIW isn't a digital capture
device or a hardware encoder or even a frame grabber. I tend to think
of it as a "black-hole TV card"--AFAIU, it's designed to tune a channel
and scale and display the video into a black hole defined on the screen
(meaning it's meant for live, non-recorded (non-pausable, -rewindable)
TV. It /can/ be used as a capture card of sorts by reading the frames
out of video card(?) memory (thus making it a /very/ convoluted design
for a frame grabber), but that's really using the wrong tool for the job.

See http://gatos.sourceforge.net/
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI/AMD

Note, also, that the problem is *not* that MythTV doesn't support ATI
AIW, but that V4L/DVB doesn't (and can't) support it (cleanly). And,
for those who aren't keeping up with FOSS development (and who may not
recognize the importance of version number information on the Gatos
page, please check the date on the bottom of the pages.)

Mike