Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth?

rawgarlic at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 3:19 AM

With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth?

We have Myth configured with HDHomeRun (dual tuner) where:
* Myth has the ip address 192.168.6.5
* HDHomeRun has the ip address 192.168.6.9
* Several other systems on this LAN with ip addresses of 192.168.6.x
* This is a 100 Mb LAN.

Now we have to move the Myth system behind a DD-WRT firewall where:
* This DD-WRT firewall will *still* be on the same 192.168.6.x LAN.
* The WAN port on the DD-WRT will have the ip address 192.168.6.12
* The LAN on the DD-WRT side will have the ip addresses 192.168.14.x
* Myth (behind this DD-WRT firewall) will have the ip address 192.168.14.3

Now (you guessed it) ...
Which ports on DD-WRT need to be forwarded to 192.168.14.3 the Myth box?
From what I can gather so far, these would be ...
TCP and UDP port 65001
UDP ports 5002 and 5004

Is this correct?

mikep at randomtraveller

Jan 19, 2011, 3:53 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On 19/01/11 11:19, rawgarlic [at] gmail wrote:
> We have Myth configured with HDHomeRun (dual tuner) where:
> * Myth has the ip address 192.168.6.5
> * HDHomeRun has the ip address 192.168.6.9
> * Several other systems on this LAN with ip addresses of 192.168.6.x
> * This is a 100 Mb LAN.
>
> Now we have to move the Myth system behind a DD-WRT firewall where:
> * This DD-WRT firewall will *still* be on the same 192.168.6.x LAN.
> * The WAN port on the DD-WRT will have the ip address 192.168.6.12
> * The LAN on the DD-WRT side will have the ip addresses 192.168.14.x
> * Myth (behind this DD-WRT firewall) will have the ip address 192.168.14.3
>
> Now (you guessed it) ...
> Which ports on DD-WRT need to be forwarded to 192.168.14.3 the Myth box?
>> From what I can gather so far, these would be ...
> TCP and UDP port 65001
> UDP ports 5002 and 5004
>
> Is this correct?

Huh? Isn't the WAN side of a firewall usually considered to be the 'outside',
i.e. the public side of your network? Why ever would you want to put your myth
box where everyone else can see it? Surely you mean that your myth box is on the
LAN side?

--

Mike Perkins

rawgarlic at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 4:23 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:

> Huh? Isn't the WAN side of a firewall usually considered to be the
> 'outside', i.e. the public side of your network? Why ever would you want to
> put your myth box where everyone else can see it? Surely you mean that your
> myth box is on the LAN side?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Please read my original post again.
I am NOT putting the myth box where everyone else can see it.
On the contrary, the myth box is being further isolated within the existing LAN.

Currently, the myth box is on a LAN.
Current Firewall 192.168.6.1
<--LAN1--> HDHomeRun 192.168.6.9
<--LAN1--> myth 192.168.6.5

Next, myth will be moved further behind another (2nd) firewall.
Current Firewall 192.168.6.1
<--LAN1--> HDHomeRun 192.168.6.9
<--LAN1--> DD-WRT Firewall 192.168.6.12
<----LAN2----> myth 192.168.14.3

That is why I need to know ...
Which ports on DD-WRT need to be forwarded to 192.168.14.3 (the Myth box)?

support at drdos

Jan 19, 2011, 4:29 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

rawgarlic [at] gmail wrote:
> Please read my original post again.
> I am NOT putting the myth box where everyone else can see it.
> On the contrary, the myth box is being further isolated within the existing LAN.

Then I would suggest that you put the HDHR on the same network at the
Myth system.

Doug

--

Ben Franklin quote:

rawgarlic at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 4:41 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Doug Lytle <support [at] drdos> wrote:

> Then I would suggest that you put the HDHR on the same network at the Myth
> system.
>
> Doug
>

> --
>
> Ben Franklin quote:
>
> "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary
> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Yes, that would be ideal.
Except that:
a. This HDHR is a dual tuner.
b. This house has 4 roommates.
c. Tuner 0 is being used by another roommate.
d. Tuner 1 is being used by my cousin.

So if HDHR was moved then Tuner 0 would not be accessible by the other roommate.

mikep at randomtraveller

Jan 19, 2011, 5:03 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On 19/01/11 12:23, rawgarlic [at] gmail wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:
>
>> Huh? Isn't the WAN side of a firewall usually considered to be the
>> 'outside', i.e. the public side of your network? Why ever would you want to
>> put your myth box where everyone else can see it? Surely you mean that your
>> myth box is on the LAN side?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>
> Please read my original post again.
> I am NOT putting the myth box where everyone else can see it.
> On the contrary, the myth box is being further isolated within the existing LAN.
>
> Currently, the myth box is on a LAN.
> Current Firewall 192.168.6.1
> <--LAN1--> HDHomeRun 192.168.6.9
> <--LAN1--> myth 192.168.6.5
>
> Next, myth will be moved further behind another (2nd) firewall.
> Current Firewall 192.168.6.1
> <--LAN1--> HDHomeRun 192.168.6.9
> <--LAN1--> DD-WRT Firewall 192.168.6.12
> <----LAN2----> myth 192.168.14.3
>
> That is why I need to know ...
> Which ports on DD-WRT need to be forwarded to 192.168.14.3 (the Myth box)?

I would say that you're *still* putting your myth box on the wrong side of the
2nd firewall if you intend to isolate it further. It needs to be connected to
the LAN side, not the WAN side. For your purposes, the WAN side of FW2 should be
connected to the LAN side of FW1. That way you simply open a hole in FW2 to
allow the myth box to access the HDHR.

Another option might be to connect the HDHR to a DMZ on FW2. That way both sides
can get access but you have control.

--

Mike Perkins

rawgarlic at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 5:32 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:

For your purposes, the WAN side of FW2 should be connected to the LAN
side of FW1.
-----------
Exactly. That is what I have mentioned in my earlier posts.
-----------

That way you simply open a hole in FW2 to allow the myth box to access the HDHR.
-----------
If the myth box is sitting behind FW2, then myth's outbound traffic to
the HDHR will not be an issue.
It is the inbound traffic to myth from the HDHR that will be blocked
by FW2, by default.
In that case, which hole / port(s) need to be opened or rather forwarded?

eric at lisaneric

Jan 19, 2011, 6:39 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Doug Lytle <support [at] drdos> wrote:
> rawgarlic [at] gmail wrote:
>>
>> Please read my original post again.
>> I am NOT putting the myth box where everyone else can see it.
>> On the contrary, the myth box is being further isolated within the
>> existing LAN.
>>

> Then I would suggest that you put the HDHR on the same network at the Myth
> system.

I second this.

There are currently bugs in MythTV that prevent it from working fully
when the HDHR is not on the same network as the MythTV backend.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/460168?do=post_view_threaded#460168

The currently recommended way to configure MythTV to use an HDHR is to
use autodiscovery, but that won't work across networks.

Eric

wepprop at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 8:53 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

Use the MythTV box as the gateway between the two LAN's. Since it
sits on both, there are no forwarding issues associated with the HDHR.
It's not particularly hard; I had my first HDHR set up that way on
its own LAN when I first got it. Add a second NIC, configure it,
enable forwarding, configure iptables/firewall, set up dhcpd. That's
pretty much it.

oliver.greg at gmail

Jan 19, 2011, 9:57 AM

Re: With HDHomeRun, which ports need to be forwarded to Myth? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM, William Powers <wepprop [at] gmail> wrote:
> Use the MythTV box as the gateway between the two LAN's.  Since it
> sits on both, there are no forwarding issues associated with the HDHR.
>  It's not particularly hard; I had my first HDHR set up that way on
> its own LAN when I first got it.  Add a second NIC, configure it,
> enable forwarding, configure iptables/firewall, set up dhcpd.  That's
> pretty much it.

The HDHRs use multicast as well, so forwarding multicast between your
routers would be helpful..