Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 Remote setup

sijones2010 at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 11:52 AM

0.25 Remote setup

Hi,

I read on the release notes for 0.25 that lirc is taken out and irexec
is being used instead, so to upgrade from 0.24-fixes to trunk and have
the remote working will I have to remove my lircrc for myth and put
the buttons into the one that irexec uses?

It is mythtv as the program that I say it's sending to.

If there is a doc or thread that explains it then point me in the
direction please!

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 11:59 AM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Simon Jones <sijones2010 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read on the release notes for 0.25 that lirc is taken out and irexec
> is being used instead, so to upgrade from 0.24-fixes to trunk and have

I think that you may have misunderstood something-- the above is
absolutely untrue, lirc in mythtv is the same as ever.

Robert

sijones2010 at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 12:11 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

> I think that you may have misunderstood something--

nothing new for me there.....

but it was this line in the wiki

Remove "LIRC Keypress Application" setting and functionality

that got me?

> the above is
> absolutely untrue, lirc in mythtv is the same as ever.

ahhh ok, think i'll upgrade to trunk then as there is a couple of
features would be most helpful...

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 12:23 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Simon Jones <sijones2010 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I think that you may have misunderstood something--
>
> nothing new for me there.....
>
> but it was this line in the wiki
>
>      Remove "LIRC Keypress Application" setting and functionality
>
> that got me?

Correct, it was the removal of a superfluous setting, not of LIRC
functionality itself.

>> the above is
>> absolutely untrue, lirc in mythtv is the same as ever.
>
> ahhh ok, think i'll upgrade to trunk then as there is a couple of
> features would be most helpful...

Just so long as you are ready for the many things which are also
broken in trunk.

Robert

sijones2010 at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 1:20 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

> Just so long as you are ready for the many things which are also
> broken in trunk.

I was running trunk until 0.24-fixes an then stayed on that, any heads
up on what's not working that will affect the WAF factor or is it
minor stuff?

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 1:23 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Simon Jones <sijones2010 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Just so long as you are ready for the many things which are also
>> broken in trunk.
>>

> I was running trunk until 0.24-fixes an then stayed on that, any heads
> up on what's not working that will affect the WAF factor or is it
> minor stuff?

Trunk is development code, with a recent branch merge which touches
fundamental functionality, and one or two branch merges in the near
future, as well as heavy development being done on basic stuff like
recording and video playback-- expect nothing to work and be pleased
if you do better than that. Realistically, you need to be aware of
all current bugs against trunk, and commits, if you want to be using
trunk.

Robert

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jan 11, 2011, 1:26 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On 01/11/2011 03:23 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Simon Jones wrote:
>>> I think that you may have misunderstood something--
>> nothing new for me there.....
>>
>> but it was this line in the wiki
>>
>> Remove "LIRC Keypress Application" setting and functionality
>>
>> that got me?
> Correct, it was the removal of a superfluous setting, not of LIRC
> functionality itself.

Specifically a setting (and the supporting code) that allowed you to run
a script on every LIRC button event received by MythTV.

Way more detail than you wanted:

The implementation meant that the script would be executed for every
single button on your remote that was mapped to MythTV, and the same
script would be executed for every single button, and the script
execution would be repeated when you held down, say, the volume button
(for each separate button repeat sent by LIRC), and it only worked with
LIRC button presses (so no audio feedback when using a keyboard to
initiate an action).

So, to make it somewhat useful, you had to write a very complex script
that knew what to do for each button press and when to ignore button
presses/repeats and when to apply a delay before repeats and ...
basically, you had to re-implement irexec in your script. So I just cut
out the middle man and now you can use irexec--the LIRC program that was
specifically written to run a script on a button press.

Note, also, that irexec is /not/ irxevent (which is likely what you're
thinking of). It does not send an X key press to an app (as does
irxevent), it executes a script on a button press (but with full support
for per-button mapping, repeat, delay, ...).

AFAIR, the setting was originally added as a hack to allow playing an
audio sample on button presses for audio feedback, but its
implementation was so primitive that it was useless for that purpose, so
I doubt many have ever used it (and that anyone who has used it kept it
enabled for more than a few minutes--I tested it before removing it and
was extremely annoyed withing 30s). Using irexec has only benefits and
no downsides--once you figure out how you can take your mythtv config in
lircrc and use global search/replace to morph it into an irexec config
that works exactly like the legacy MythTV setting--and then can start to
customize it to make, for example, different buttons play different
audio files (be-boop for fast-forward and boop-be for rewind and no
audio feedback for toggle), use different LIRC repeat and delay settings
(which needn't be tied to the settings used by MythTV), ...

If anyone wants real support in MythTV for audio feedback on actions,
they need to do a proper implementation that does not use a hack (such
as spawning a new process for each beep through a system call to a
script--it needs to use MythTV's built-in audio support), that is not
hardware specific (i.e. works the same for all actions, whether received
via keyboard, LIRC, network control, ...), and that allows proper
customization (likely through some sort of audio theme).

Mike

sijones2010 at gmail

Jan 11, 2011, 1:43 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

> Way more detail than you wanted:

Actually that was a nice read to understand the background etc, and
yes I see why you removed it.

I use irexec at the moment to start myth off the "green" button, and
reboot the pc (different button) in case of mythbackend lockup.

Although I have written a new script that kill's mythfrontend and then
restarts it, and am going to do one for mythbackend as the reboot
script was because the tuners failed to respond and then the backend
wouldn't lock on to a channel, I think it's been months since the
backend and tuners did this behaviour and required reboot so time to
change it over.

and am a .net dev so fully aware of trunk and what it means, but thank
you for the heads up on the video playback / recording as this system
is used all day every day for TV watching and recording so i might
wait a few weeks for the new bit's to settle.

Am just wondering if there is a better wording for the LIRC removal,
is it confusing? or just me over thinking it?

thank you for your reply's by the way.

dbadia at gmail

Mar 27, 2012, 6:26 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> Specifically a setting (and the supporting code) that allowed you to run a
> script on every LIRC button event received by MythTV.
>
> Way more detail than you wanted:
>
> The implementation meant that the script would be executed for every single
> button on your remote that was mapped to MythTV, and the same script would
> be executed for every single button, and the script execution would be
> repeated when you held down, say, the volume button (for each separate
> button repeat sent by LIRC), and it only worked with LIRC button presses (so
> no audio feedback when using a keyboard to initiate an action).
>
> So, to make it somewhat useful, you had to write a very complex script that
> knew what to do for each button press and when to ignore button
> presses/repeats and when to apply a delay before repeats and ... basically,
> you had to re-implement irexec in your script.  So I just cut out the middle
> man and now you can use irexec--the LIRC program that was specifically
> written to run a script on a button press.
>
> Note, also, that irexec is /not/ irxevent (which is likely what you're
> thinking of).  It does not send an X key press to an app (as does irxevent),
> it executes a script on a button press (but with full support for per-button
> mapping, repeat, delay, ...).
>
> AFAIR, the setting was originally added as a hack to allow playing an audio
> sample on button presses for audio feedback, but its implementation was so
> primitive that it was useless for that purpose, so I doubt many have ever
> used it (and that anyone who has used it kept it enabled for more than a few
> minutes--I tested it before removing it and was extremely annoyed withing
> 30s).  Using irexec has only benefits and no downsides--once you figure out
> how you can take your mythtv config in lircrc and use global search/replace
> to morph it into an irexec config that works exactly like the legacy MythTV
> setting--and then can start to customize it to make, for example, different
> buttons play different audio files (be-boop for fast-forward and boop-be for
> rewind and no audio feedback for toggle), use different LIRC repeat and
> delay settings (which needn't be tied to the settings used by MythTV), ...
>
> If anyone wants real support in MythTV for audio feedback on actions, they
> need to do a proper implementation that does not use a hack (such as
> spawning a new process for each beep through a system call to a script--it
> needs to use MythTV's built-in audio support), that is not hardware specific
> (i.e. works the same for all actions, whether received via keyboard, LIRC,
> network control, ...), and that allows proper customization (likely through
> some sort of audio theme).
>
> Mike

I know this is an old thread but in prep for .25 I have to ask....

I recently setup a bluetooth remote and am using this functionality in
24-fixes to execute a script on certain keypresses. I couldn't use
irexec since the bluetooth remote is going through the uinput module.
Since this feature is removed in .25, is there some other way to get
irexec like functionality for a normal key press event?

Thanks
Dave

eriksjunk at laurelwoodart

Mar 27, 2012, 7:27 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia [at] gmail> wrote:

> [...]
> > need to do a proper implementation that does not use a hack (such as
> > spawning a new process for each beep through a system call to a script--it
> > needs to use MythTV's built-in audio support), that is not hardware specific
> > (i.e. works the same for all actions, whether received via keyboard, LIRC,
> > network control, ...), and that allows proper customization (likely through
> > some sort of audio theme).
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I know this is an old thread but in prep for .25 I have to ask....
>
> I recently setup a bluetooth remote and am using this functionality in
> 24-fixes to execute a script on certain keypresses.  I couldn't use
> irexec since the bluetooth remote is going through the uinput module.
> Since this feature is removed in .25, is there some other way to get
> irexec like functionality for a normal key press event?

You can use XBindKeys (http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html)
to execute scripts in response to keypresses.

That being said, does anyone know if there is a way to set up scripts
that can be executed via the frontend's telnet interface in 0.25?

I use a network-based remote control most of the time.

Thanks,
Erik

mtdean at thirdcontact

Mar 27, 2012, 7:55 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On 03/27/2012 09:26 PM, Dave Badia wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The implementation meant that the script ... only worked with LIRC button presses (so no audio feedback when using a keyboard to initiate an action).
> I know this is an old thread but in prep for .25 I have to ask....
>
> I recently setup a bluetooth remote and am using this functionality in
> 24-fixes to execute a script on certain keypresses. I couldn't use
> irexec since the bluetooth remote is going through the uinput module.

If you're not using LIRC, you're not using the LIRC keypress application
in whatever version of MythTV you have (as described in the part of my
message I left, above).

> Since this feature is removed in .25, is there some other way to get
> irexec like functionality for a normal key press event?

Or are you saying that you never used this functionality, but it sounds
like what you want? You're trying to set something up, new, and wonder
what you use with 'keyboard' type input? (If so, something like Erik
mentioned or just map a key using your Window Manager's key bindings.)

Mike

dbadia at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 5:39 PM

Re: 0.25 Remote setup [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact>wrote:

> On 03/27/2012 09:26 PM, Dave Badia wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> The implementation meant that the script ... only worked with LIRC
>>> button presses (so no audio feedback when using a keyboard to initiate an
>>> action).
>>>
>> I know this is an old thread but in prep for .25 I have to ask....
>>
>> I recently setup a bluetooth remote and am using this functionality in
>> 24-fixes to execute a script on certain keypresses. I couldn't use
>> irexec since the bluetooth remote is going through the uinput module.
>>

> If you're not using LIRC, you're not using the LIRC keypress application
> in whatever version of MythTV you have (as described in the part of my
> message I left, above).

Lol, that's a good point. I set all of this up about a year ago, and then
brought that FE inside for the winter. Now that it's warming up, I
recently put it back out on our porch and got thinking about the upgrade to
.25. But as you say, I'm not using LIRC; I have to go back and see what I
did. How quickly one forgets the details.