Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue

mitchell.gore at gmail

Dec 4, 2010, 8:37 PM

MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue

Hi,

After switching to 10.10 .24 i have one issue left.

My MCEUSB remote is extremely slow. I have to hold the buttom for a few
seconds for it to register a move. I didnt have this problem in 10.04.
Looking at IRW is seems holding the button for a second maybe shows 1 or 2
presses. In my Lircrc file my repeat is set to 0 and delay is 0. Whats the
deal here?

All my config files are the default MythBuntu settings.

Thanks,
Mitchell

tom at graniteskies

Dec 5, 2010, 6:03 AM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Mitchell Gore <mitchell.gore [at] gmail>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After switching to 10.10 .24 i have one issue left.
>
> My MCEUSB remote is extremely slow. I have to hold the buttom for a few
> seconds for it to register a move. I didnt have this problem in 10.04.
> Looking at IRW is seems holding the button for a second maybe shows 1 or 2
> presses. In my Lircrc file my repeat is set to 0 and delay is 0. Whats the
> deal here?
>
> All my config files are the default MythBuntu settings.
>
> Thanks,
> Mitchell

Out of curiosity, what kernel is 10.04 using? I have the same issue in
Gentoo when using 2.6.36.1 and the included modules. On 2.6.35.5 with the
external modules provided by LIRC, everything is fine.

Interestingly, on a different machine with a different receiver, everything
is fine using 2.6.36.1.

tom at graniteskies

Dec 5, 2010, 6:31 AM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Tom Flair <tom [at] graniteskies> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Mitchell Gore <mitchell.gore [at] gmail>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After switching to 10.10 .24 i have one issue left.
>>
>> My MCEUSB remote is extremely slow. I have to hold the buttom for a few
>> seconds for it to register a move. I didnt have this problem in 10.04.
>> Looking at IRW is seems holding the button for a second maybe shows 1 or 2
>> presses. In my Lircrc file my repeat is set to 0 and delay is 0. Whats the
>> deal here?
>>
>> All my config files are the default MythBuntu settings.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mitchell

> Out of curiosity, what kernel is 10.04 using? I have the same issue in
> Gentoo when using 2.6.36.1 and the included modules. On 2.6.35.5 with the
> external modules provided by LIRC, everything is fine.
>
> Interestingly, on a different machine with a different receiver, everything
> is fine using 2.6.36.1.

Scratch that, I just fixed my problem. Apparently I had installed the
external module at some point on 2.6.36.1 and forgotten about it.
Blocklisted the lirc_mceusb and everything is perfect again.

tom at graniteskies

Dec 5, 2010, 6:55 AM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

> Scratch that, I just fixed my problem. Apparently I had installed the
> external module at some point on 2.6.36.1 and forgotten about it.
> Blocklisted the lirc_mceusb and everything is perfect again.

15 minutes later, response time is back to a crawl, back to the drawing
board.

jarod at wilsonet

Dec 5, 2010, 8:34 AM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Dec 5, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Tom Flair wrote:

> Scratch that, I just fixed my problem. Apparently I had installed the external module at some point on 2.6.36.1 and forgotten about it. Blocklisted the lirc_mceusb and everything is perfect again.
>
> 15 minutes later, response time is back to a crawl, back to the drawing board.

There was a buffer parsing buglet in the mceusb driver at some point in
time, which has long since been fixed, but its quite possible that it
was present in the ubuntu 10.10 kernel and upstream 2.6.36. You can try
building a newer mceusb from the v4l/dvb repo (I wouldn't even suggest
using 2.6.37-rcX's version right now, I need to get some patches over to
Mauro to send to Linus for rc5 to fix a bug there as well).

For those curious why there's some instability in the mceusb driver...
Well, the buffer parsing routines were completely rewritten to use a
state machine, rather than the prior fugly loop it had, and an edge case
or two weren't caught initially. These changes were needed to properly
support a new hybrid device from Conexant, which is a combined tuner/ir
device, the ir portion of which is now handled by the mceusb driver.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

mitchell.gore at gmail

Dec 5, 2010, 4:33 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

> There was a buffer parsing buglet in the mceusb driver at some point in
> time, which has long since been fixed, but its quite possible that it
> was present in the ubuntu 10.10 kernel and upstream 2.6.36. You can try
> building a newer mceusb from the v4l/dvb repo (I wouldn't even suggest
> using 2.6.37-rcX's version right now, I need to get some patches over to
> Mauro to send to Linus for rc5 to fix a bug there as well).
>
> For those curious why there's some instability in the mceusb driver...
> Well, the buffer parsing routines were completely rewritten to use a
> state machine, rather than the prior fugly loop it had, and an edge case
> or two weren't caught initially. These changes were needed to properly
> support a new hybrid device from Conexant, which is a combined tuner/ir
> device, the ir portion of which is now handled by the mceusb driver.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod [at] wilsonet

Im confused...so is there a fix? Do i just need to wait it out?

Mitchell

jarod at wilsonet

Dec 5, 2010, 5:55 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Dec 5, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:

> There was a buffer parsing buglet in the mceusb driver at some point in
> time, which has long since been fixed, but its quite possible that it
> was present in the ubuntu 10.10 kernel and upstream 2.6.36. You can try
> building a newer mceusb from the v4l/dvb repo (I wouldn't even suggest
> using 2.6.37-rcX's version right now, I need to get some patches over to
> Mauro to send to Linus for rc5 to fix a bug there as well).
>
> For those curious why there's some instability in the mceusb driver...
> Well, the buffer parsing routines were completely rewritten to use a
> state machine, rather than the prior fugly loop it had, and an edge case
> or two weren't caught initially. These changes were needed to properly
> support a new hybrid device from Conexant, which is a combined tuner/ir
> device, the ir portion of which is now handled by the mceusb driver.
> ---
>
> Im confused...so is there a fix? Do i just need to wait it out?

Go here:

http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/

Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
additional documentation in the tree as well.

For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

mitchell.gore at gmail

Dec 7, 2010, 3:02 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

> Go here:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/
>
> Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
> automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
> additional documentation in the tree as well.
>

> For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod [at] wilsonet

Jarod,

Just getting a chance to take a look at this. Do I want to use git to clone
like so:
git clone git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
git remote add linuxtv git://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git
git remote update
git checkout -b media-master remotes/linuxtv/staging/for_v2.6.38

Or do I only need a subset of those repo's.

Thanks,
Mitchell

rodd at clarkson

Dec 7, 2010, 4:34 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet> wrote:

> > Im confused...so is there a fix? Do i just need to wait it out?
>
> Go here:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/
>
> Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
> automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
> additional documentation in the tree as well.
>

> For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.

I've had some slowness with the remote too, but nothing like being described
here. It was just a lag.

However, I've tried the latest kernel in f14
(kernel-2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64) and it's working much better now.

thanks

Rodd

mitchell.gore at gmail

Dec 7, 2010, 4:44 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd [at] clarkson> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet> wrote:
>

>> > Im confused...so is there a fix? Do i just need to wait it out?
>>
>> Go here:
>>
>> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/
>>
>> Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
>> automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
>> additional documentation in the tree as well.
>>

>> For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.
>>

> I've had some slowness with the remote too, but nothing like being
> described here. It was just a lag.
>
> However, I've tried the latest kernel in f14
> (kernel-2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64) and it's working much better now.
>
> thanks
>

> Rodd

Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.

Mitchell

jarod at wilsonet

Dec 7, 2010, 8:45 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:44 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd [at] clarkson> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet> wrote:
>
> > Im confused...so is there a fix? Do i just need to wait it out?
>
> Go here:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git/
>
> Clone the repo, then ./build.sh should handle just about everything
> automagically for building, then install the result. There's some
> additional documentation in the tree as well.
>

> For Fedora users, just grab the latest F14 kernel out of koji.
>

> I've had some slowness with the remote too, but nothing like being described here. It was just a lag.
>
> However, I've tried the latest kernel in f14 (kernel-2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64) and it's working much better now.
>
> thanks

Yep, the bits in that kernel are, so far as I know, very solid,
nothing I'm aware of that isn't working perfectly in the major
usage drivers (though I have at least one report of lirc_serial
not transmitting anymore, which I need to look into)...

> Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.

Well, I have direct commit access to the Fedora kernel, and Fedora
doesn't have as stringent a policy on what can go into a new kernel
build for a released distro, which has both its plusses and its
minuses. In this case, its a plus. I did submit patches to Canonical
to get their kernel up to speed, but they won't apply them unless
they're in an upstream stable tree, which doesn't work so hot when
they took in 2.6.36 IR patches already for their 2.6.35 kernel...
And so Ubuntu's kernel-provided IR stack is likely to be partly
broken until 11.04 comes around. Might be an out-of-tree backports
module that shows up at some point though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

ramin-list at badapple

Dec 7, 2010, 9:38 PM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On 12/7/2010 8:45 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.
>
> Well, I have direct commit access to the Fedora kernel, and Fedora
> doesn't have as stringent a policy on what can go into a new kernel
> build for a released distro, which has both its plusses and its
> minuses. In this case, its a plus. I did submit patches to Canonical
> to get their kernel up to speed, but they won't apply them unless
> they're in an upstream stable tree, which doesn't work so hot when
> they took in 2.6.36 IR patches already for their 2.6.35 kernel...
> And so Ubuntu's kernel-provided IR stack is likely to be partly
> broken until 11.04 comes around. Might be an out-of-tree backports
> module that shows up at some point though.

For other Ubuntu users, don't think you can be sneaky and install
2.6.37-rc5 from
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.37-rc5-natty/ and get
these fixes. Jarod's patches still aren't there though it does get you
around the device 4903 issue.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-core.c;h=b70d6afc9fecd7f0d7d382e6965ac02616988b7f;hb=cf7d7e5a1980d1116ee152d25dac382b112b9c17

Ramin

jarod at wilsonet

Dec 8, 2010, 6:26 AM

Re: MythBuntu 10.10 Lirc Issue [In reply to]

On Dec 8, 2010, at 12:38 AM, Ramin K wrote:

> On 12/7/2010 8:45 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> Yea Fedora seems to be further ahead of the curve then Ubuntu.
>>
>> Well, I have direct commit access to the Fedora kernel, and Fedora
>> doesn't have as stringent a policy on what can go into a new kernel
>> build for a released distro, which has both its plusses and its
>> minuses. In this case, its a plus. I did submit patches to Canonical
>> to get their kernel up to speed, but they won't apply them unless
>> they're in an upstream stable tree, which doesn't work so hot when
>> they took in 2.6.36 IR patches already for their 2.6.35 kernel...
>> And so Ubuntu's kernel-provided IR stack is likely to be partly
>> broken until 11.04 comes around. Might be an out-of-tree backports
>> module that shows up at some point though.
>>

> For other Ubuntu users, don't think you can be sneaky and install 2.6.37-rc5 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.37-rc5-natty/ and get these fixes. Jarod's patches still aren't there though it does get you around the device 4903 issue.
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr-core.c;h=b70d6afc9fecd7f0d7d382e6965ac02616988b7f;hb=cf7d7e5a1980d1116ee152d25dac382b112b9c17

Which patches are you referring to here, the hdpvr patches or the IR
stack patches? All of the relevant IR bits are upstream, but not all
have made their way to Linus' tree yet. A number are queued up for
the 2.6.38 merge window, though I do need to send some of those along
as candidates for inclusion in 2.6.37 before it goes final.

The hdpvr bits are another matter, and actually require at least a bit
of a rewrite to cope with the deprecation of some i2c identifier bits
they were using.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet