Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Channel scan and import fails

FunkyFish at gmx

Oct 14, 2010, 1:30 AM

Channel scan and import fails

Hi all,

Last night I got around to finally try out Mythbuntu 10.10.
I did a clean installation, Hardware is basically an ASUS M3N78 Pro with
a GeForce 8300 onboard-GPU and an Haupauge HVR-4000.

Installation finds the correct NVIDIA driver and after I installed
linux-firmware-nonfree I got the Haupauge working with Kaffeine
(including Channel scan). I'm on DVB-S/S2

Now I'm trying to get a channel scan working in MythTV, but a "tuned"
full scan returns "Error parsing parameters" (I just used the defaults)
and trying to get an channels.conf from scan (dvb-apps) imported fails
as well with "No channels found". Which log should I consult for more
details?

How is the usual way to get DVB-S/S2 channels imported in the MythTV
database? Does anyone know how to export Kaffeines channels and import
it into MythTV (no, ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/channels.dvb does not
exist, it contains a sqlite db and I did not find an export button from
Kaffeines GUI).

Any hint is appreciated
Greetings
-Sascha-

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Oct 14, 2010, 2:23 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Sascha Vogt wrote:
[...]

Oct 14, 2010, 2:49 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Hi Jens Peter,

Am 14.10.2010 11:23, schrieb Terjesen Jens Peder:
> Sascha Vogt wrote:
> [...]
> Now I'm trying to get a channel scan working in MythTV, but a "tuned"
> full scan returns "Error parsing parameters" (I just used the defaults)
> and trying to get an channels.conf from scan (dvb-apps) imported fails
> as well with "No channels found". Which log should I consult for more
> details?
>
> Which frequency do you use as input to the tuned scan?
>
> I got this when using too many or too few zeros in the frequency on my HVR-4000.
Hm, that may be the problem :) I used none... Where can I find the
"correct" frequency to use?

Greetings
-Sascha-

FunkyFish at gmx

Oct 14, 2010, 2:54 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Hi.

Am 14.10.2010 11:49, schrieb Sascha Vogt:
>> I got this when using too many or too few zeros in the frequency on my HVR-4000.
> Hm, that may be the problem :) I used none... Where can I find the
> "correct" frequency to use?
Nevermind, I had a look into /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E and I
guess I found the correct one. Will try it this evening.

Thx for the hint

FunkyFish at gmx

Oct 14, 2010, 1:41 PM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Hi again,

Am 14.10.2010 11:23, schrieb Terjesen Jens Peder:
> Which frequency do you use as input to the tuned scan?
After setting the correct frequency MythSetup immediately tells me
"failed to find any channels". Additionally the same message is also
displayed if I try to import a channels.conf which was created via the
scan util.

Any further hints?
Greetings
-Sascha-

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Oct 15, 2010, 1:53 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Sascha Vogt wrote:

Hi again,

Am 14.10.2010 11:23, schrieb Terjesen Jens Peder:
> Which frequency do you use as input to the tuned scan?
After setting the correct frequency MythSetup immediately tells me
"failed to find any channels". Additionally the same message is also
displayed if I try to import a channels.conf which was created via the
scan util.

Any further hints?
Greetings
-Sascha-

FunkyFish at gmx

Oct 15, 2010, 2:16 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Hi Jens Peder,

yes, the firmware is loaded (as previously said, watching with Kaffeine
works fine, as well as having Kaffeine or "scan" do the channel scan).

Actually I used /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E resp. the following
settings:
freq: 12551500
pol: vertical
symbol rate: 22000000
fec: 5/6

For the rest I left the default settings.

What I still don't get is the issue with loading / importing an existing
channels.conf. Is there any log why it does not find any channels in it?
Maybe it's something trivial like a missing file permission or a missing
directory or sth like that...

Greetings
-Sascha-

Am 15.10.2010 10:53, schrieb Terjesen Jens Peder:
> Sascha Vogt wrote: ________________________________________
>
> Hi again,
>
> Am 14.10.2010 11:23, schrieb Terjesen Jens Peder:
>> Which frequency do you use as input to the tuned scan?
> After setting the correct frequency MythSetup immediately tells me
> "failed to find any channels". Additionally the same message is also
> displayed if I try to import a channels.conf which was created via
> the scan util.
>
> Any further hints? Greetings -Sascha-
>
> Have you checked that the firmware gets loaded? The times I installed
> this card and forgot about the firmware scanning for DVB-T channels
> worked but scanning for DVB-S channels didn't find any.
>
> The frequency for transponder 54 on Astra 19.2E as found here:
> http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-19.2E.php should be input as 10788000 if
> I remember correctly.
>
> Jens _______________________________________________ mythtv-users
> mailing list mythtv-users [at] mythtv

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Oct 15, 2010, 2:30 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

Sascha Vogt wrote:

Hi Jens Peder,

yes, the firmware is loaded (as previously said, watching with Kaffeine
works fine, as well as having Kaffeine or "scan" do the channel scan).

Actually I used /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E resp. the following
settings:
freq: 12551500
pol: vertical
symbol rate: 22000000
fec: 5/6

For the rest I left the default settings.

What I still don't get is the issue with loading / importing an existing
channels.conf. Is there any log why it does not find any channels in it?
Maybe it's something trivial like a missing file permission or a missing
directory or sth like that...

Greetings
-Sascha-

lists at manor-farm

Oct 15, 2010, 3:33 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

> yes, the firmware is loaded (as previously said, watching with Kaffeine
> works fine, as well as having Kaffeine or "scan" do the channel scan).
>
> Actually I used /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E resp. the following
> settings:
> freq: 12551500
> pol: vertical
> symbol rate: 22000000
> fec: 5/6
>
> For the rest I left the default settings.
>
> What I still don't get is the issue with loading / importing an existing
> channels.conf. Is there any log why it does not find any channels in it?
> Maybe it's something trivial like a missing file permission or a missing
> directory or sth like that...
>
> Greetings

I had a problem a while ago with channels.conf being in the wrong
format. Unfortunately, I can't find the magic invocation ATM. Try
running dvbscan without any options to see what output formats it supports.

Ian.

lists at manor-farm

Oct 15, 2010, 4:51 AM

Re: Channel scan and import fails [In reply to]

On 15/10/10 11:33, Ian Barton wrote:

>> yes, the firmware is loaded (as previously said, watching with Kaffeine
>> works fine, as well as having Kaffeine or "scan" do the channel scan).
>>
>> Actually I used /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E resp. the following
>> settings:
>> freq: 12551500
>> pol: vertical
>> symbol rate: 22000000
>> fec: 5/6
>>
>> For the rest I left the default settings.
>>
>> What I still don't get is the issue with loading / importing an existing
>> channels.conf. Is there any log why it does not find any channels in it?
>> Maybe it's something trivial like a missing file permission or a missing
>> directory or sth like that...
>>
>> Greetings
>>

> I had a problem a while ago with channels.conf being in the wrong
> format. Unfortunately, I can't find the magic invocation ATM. Try
> running dvbscan without any options to see what output formats it supports.

Found it:

scan -a0 -o zap /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/uk-WinterHill > channels.conf

The -o zap is the important bit. It used to work without it but either
Myth or scan changed its default format for channales.conf.

Ian.