Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality

rgoodkin at zaius1

Dec 9, 2003, 5:44 PM

Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality

Hello,

I think this is probably related to all nivida cards.. got tv-out
working fine in clone mode, well not fine. The REDS on the TV display
ware WAY to red and its not very bright, the CRT monitor looks fine.
How can I adjust this? I've seen this post before but never with any
good responses.

Thanks,
Bob

clint at focuscompanies

Dec 9, 2003, 7:45 PM

Re: Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality [In reply to]

rgoodkin [at] zaius1 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I think this is probably related to all nivida cards.. got tv-out
>working fine in clone mode, well not fine. The REDS on the TV display
>ware WAY to red and its not very bright, the CRT monitor looks fine.
>How can I adjust this? I've seen this post before but never with any
>good responses.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

I had this with my MSI micro ATX board's onboard video. The reds were
way too low at first, but anything with somewhat high red was blinding.
I tested this with (I think it was a program called colortest), and it
showed no red all the way to about 75% and then it shot up
dramatically. It also looked like the the gamma on the green and blue
was low. I figured it was bad hardware, but I decided to get a seperate
card instead. I have installed beta nvidia drivers on my desktop and
they do have gamma/brightness/contrast adjustments in a utility that
comes with it, so I'm going to try that sometime soon, but right now I
have a cheapo radeon-based card with tv-out and their drivers on it, and
it works well as long as I don't switch to the console, otherwise the
display gets messed on the X session. If you want to try the beta
drivers, they are on www.minion.de.

Clint Silvester

Xsecrets at softhome

Dec 9, 2003, 8:42 PM

Re: Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality [In reply to]

Well probably not a good solution, but what I did was turn on the XV
stuff from the menus and use the XV color controls F button when
watching recording to turn down the red. Like I said not the best
solution, but works for me.

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 20:45, Clint Silvester wrote:
> rgoodkin [at] zaius1 wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I think this is probably related to all nivida cards.. got tv-out
> >working fine in clone mode, well not fine. The REDS on the TV display
> >ware WAY to red and its not very bright, the CRT monitor looks fine.
> >How can I adjust this? I've seen this post before but never with any
> >good responses.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bob
> >

> I had this with my MSI micro ATX board's onboard video. The reds were
> way too low at first, but anything with somewhat high red was blinding.
> I tested this with (I think it was a program called colortest), and it
> showed no red all the way to about 75% and then it shot up
> dramatically. It also looked like the the gamma on the green and blue
> was low. I figured it was bad hardware, but I decided to get a seperate
> card instead. I have installed beta nvidia drivers on my desktop and
> they do have gamma/brightness/contrast adjustments in a utility that
> comes with it, so I'm going to try that sometime soon, but right now I
> have a cheapo radeon-based card with tv-out and their drivers on it, and
> it works well as long as I don't switch to the console, otherwise the
> display gets messed on the X session. If you want to try the beta
> drivers, they are on www.minion.de.
>
> Clint Silvester

clint at focuscompanies

Dec 9, 2003, 9:25 PM

Re: Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality [In reply to]

Myster Man wrote:

>Well probably not a good solution, but what I did was turn on the XV
>stuff from the menus and use the XV color controls F button when
>watching recording to turn down the red. Like I said not the best
>solution, but works for me.

I tried that, too, but the rest of the stuff always looked dingy. I am
wondering if it's hardware or not with these. I hope trying that
utility will help. I hear that it is supposed to work with older
version of the drivers, but I don't know about that part of it (color
controls).

>On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 20:45, Clint Silvester wrote:
>

>>rgoodkin [at] zaius1 wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I think this is probably related to all nivida cards.. got tv-out
>>>working fine in clone mode, well not fine. The REDS on the TV display
>>>ware WAY to red and its not very bright, the CRT monitor looks fine.
>>>How can I adjust this? I've seen this post before but never with any
>>>good responses.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Bob
>>>

>>I had this with my MSI micro ATX board's onboard video. The reds were
>>way too low at first, but anything with somewhat high red was blinding.
>>I tested this with (I think it was a program called colortest), and it
>>showed no red all the way to about 75% and then it shot up
>>dramatically. It also looked like the the gamma on the green and blue
>>was low. I figured it was bad hardware, but I decided to get a seperate
>>card instead. I have installed beta nvidia drivers on my desktop and
>>they do have gamma/brightness/contrast adjustments in a utility that
>>comes with it, so I'm going to try that sometime soon, but right now I
>>have a cheapo radeon-based card with tv-out and their drivers on it, and
>>it works well as long as I don't switch to the console, otherwise the
>>display gets messed on the X session. If you want to try the beta
>>drivers, they are on www.minion.de.
>>
>>Clint Silvester

klk+myth at robotics

Dec 10, 2003, 1:31 AM

Re: Nvidia MX440 and BAD tv-out quality [In reply to]

Did you try explicitly setting the TVOutFormat to SVIDEO in your
XF86Config file? I recall having crappy colors until I forced it to
svideo. This is from /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0:

o The "TVOutFormat" option can be used to force SVIDEO or COMPOSITE
output. Without this option the driver autodetects the output format.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always do this correctly. The output format
can be forced with the options:

Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

or

Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

---
I actually have it in both my "Monitor" section and "Device" section.
Not sure which is correct. Hope it helps!

Kristo