Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jphekman at arborius

Aug 6, 2010, 9:38 AM

Post #1 of 43 (2301 views)
Permalink
Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

You all may remember that a week or so ago I was trying to get tv-out to
work on my nvidia card so I could use my Ubuntu desktop for both normal
desktop use + as a Myth box. You guys helped me realize it wasn't going
to be able to act as Myth frontend unless I bought it a new graphics
card.

I sat down with my boyfriend and we decided if we were going to get into
purchasing hardware, it probably made some sense to have a dedicated
box. So here is the current, extremely tentative plan:

* Front end: leaning towards Acer Aspire Revo: inexpensive, and looks
like it will support HDTV (I do not have an HDTV TV, but would like the
option for the future)

* Back end: for now, keep using my HP Pavilion Slimline 3020n + Ubuntu
Lucid. Can purchase a new back end in the future if need be. Location is
such that it can be connected by ethernet to the front end.

* Data input: for now, just bittorrent stuff. My roommate is about to
get FiOS installed. If I wanted, I could get a Hauppage card for the
desktop at some point and get input from FiOS, but that can be a project
for the future (perhaps to do at the point that I decide to jump for a
dedicated back end). All the shows I watch are available on bittorrent
for now.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you all? Easy to implement +
not too expensive? Expandable for the future? Anything I am missing?

Thank you!
Jessica

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


beww at beww

Aug 6, 2010, 9:50 AM

Post #2 of 43 (2272 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Friday, August 06, 2010 10:38:17 am Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> You all may remember that a week or so ago I was trying to get tv-out to
> work on my nvidia card so I could use my Ubuntu desktop for both normal
> desktop use + as a Myth box. You guys helped me realize it wasn't going
> to be able to act as Myth frontend unless I bought it a new graphics
> card.
>
> I sat down with my boyfriend and we decided if we were going to get into
> purchasing hardware, it probably made some sense to have a dedicated
> box. So here is the current, extremely tentative plan:
>
> * Front end: leaning towards Acer Aspire Revo: inexpensive, and looks
> like it will support HDTV (I do not have an HDTV TV, but would like the
> option for the future)
>
> * Back end: for now, keep using my HP Pavilion Slimline 3020n + Ubuntu
> Lucid. Can purchase a new back end in the future if need be. Location is
> such that it can be connected by ethernet to the front end.
>
> * Data input: for now, just bittorrent stuff. My roommate is about to
> get FiOS installed. If I wanted, I could get a Hauppage card for the
> desktop at some point and get input from FiOS, but that can be a project
> for the future (perhaps to do at the point that I decide to jump for a
> dedicated back end). All the shows I watch are available on bittorrent
> for now.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you all?

Not to me. In most cases acquiring content via BitTorrent is illegal, or at least highly questionable, and probably should
not even be discussed here. There are of course legal torrents, and if you stick with those you should be OK.

It's also getting easier to get "caught". The problem with BitTorrent is that you are not just downloading, you are
sharing the data out to the internet at large, which is what most prosecutions are based on, not the downloading of
content.

I suppose I shouldn't mention any alternatives, but the most common one starts with "USE..." :-)

There are "official" ways to acquire content over the internet, Hulu, CBS.com, PBS, and many other sites serve up content
for free, albeit with some commercials and TOS limitations.

But FIOS, or cable TV/satellite is probably the best long-term solution for you.

Aside from the data input, your plan seems sound.


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Aug 6, 2010, 11:06 AM

Post #3 of 43 (2264 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
> * Front end: leaning towards Acer Aspire Revo: inexpensive, and looks
> like it will support HDTV (I do not have an HDTV TV, but would like the
> option for the future)

The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video. This may
not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jphekman at arborius

Aug 6, 2010, 11:35 AM

Post #4 of 43 (2268 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 10:50:23AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Not to me. In most cases acquiring content via BitTorrent is illegal,
> or at least highly questionable, and probably should not even be
> discussed here. There are of course legal torrents, and if you stick
> with those you should be OK.

Good point; I should have specified that I intend to stick to legal
torrents. Mostly I just want to take this process in phases.

> Aside from the data input, your plan seems sound.

Good. I'll keep following the front-end discussion. I'm hoping to put
together some specs today or tomorrow, and mail the list to make sure
I've made a good choice.

Thanks,
Jessica
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jphekman at arborius

Aug 6, 2010, 11:39 AM

Post #5 of 43 (2262 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video. This may
> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.

Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
for around $20, right? Is that a good solution to this problem? If not,
should I be looking at a different system? (Or are most systems set up
for HD *or* non-HD but not both?)

Thanks,
Jessica

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


kevin at familyross

Aug 6, 2010, 11:54 AM

Post #6 of 43 (2270 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On 08/06/2010 11:39 AM, Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>
>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video. This may
>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
> for around $20, right? Is that a good solution to this problem? If not,
> should I be looking at a different system? (Or are most systems set up
> for HD *or* non-HD but not both?)
>
> Thanks,
> Jessica
>

I've used a cheap one before (actually VGA to s-video), and it just
wasn't worth it to me. The thing wouldn't remember its settings (like
the left-right-up-down-size controls) when turned off, but even worse
than that, I would get tearing when watching video. You'd probably be
happier using an old computer monitor and computer speakers (or a
stereo) in the meantime, until you can afford a new TV with HDMI, DVI,
or VGA input.

There are some expensive scan converters that do a good job, but for
that amount of money, it probably makes better sense to buy a computer
wih an s-video out instead.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Aug 6, 2010, 11:57 AM

Post #7 of 43 (2261 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video. This may
>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>
> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
> for around $20, right?

If there are, I've never seen one.

There are some s-video to HDMI solutions out there (usually for
noticably more than $20), but I've never seen a converter for going
the other way.

VGA to S-video converters are more common, but still, you'd be better
off selecting a front end system that has s-video out natively if
that's what you want.

Note also that HDMI doesn't imply HD. It supports HD, but you can
watch SD content over an HDMI cable.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


oliver.greg at gmail

Aug 6, 2010, 12:08 PM

Post #8 of 43 (2263 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
> <jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video.  This may
>>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
>> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
>> for around $20, right?
>
> If there are, I've never seen one.
>
> There are some s-video to HDMI solutions out there (usually for
> noticably more than $20), but I've never seen a converter for going
> the other way.
>
> VGA to S-video converters are more common, but still, you'd be better
> off selecting a front end system that has s-video out natively if
> that's what you want.

I've in the past used a cheapo ($3 I believe) vga->s-video cable to
get a console on servers to a 6" handheld tv at a place that charged
way too much for space to keep a monitor there... It worked well,
although I never used it for graphics like the mythui, so I cannot
comment on how it looks with all of the fancy text and images on the
screen.. for 80x25 it was great though..

> Note also that HDMI doesn't imply HD.  It supports HD, but you can
> watch SD content over an HDMI cable.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jedi at mishnet

Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 PM

Post #9 of 43 (2254 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 10:50:23AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday, August 06, 2010 10:38:17 am Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> > You all may remember that a week or so ago I was trying to get tv-out to
> > work on my nvidia card so I could use my Ubuntu desktop for both normal
> > desktop use + as a Myth box. You guys helped me realize it wasn't going
> > to be able to act as Myth frontend unless I bought it a new graphics
> > card.
> >
> > I sat down with my boyfriend and we decided if we were going to get into
> > purchasing hardware, it probably made some sense to have a dedicated
> > box. So here is the current, extremely tentative plan:
> >
> > * Front end: leaning towards Acer Aspire Revo: inexpensive, and looks
> > like it will support HDTV (I do not have an HDTV TV, but would like the
> > option for the future)
> >
> > * Back end: for now, keep using my HP Pavilion Slimline 3020n + Ubuntu
> > Lucid. Can purchase a new back end in the future if need be. Location is
> > such that it can be connected by ethernet to the front end.
> >
> > * Data input: for now, just bittorrent stuff. My roommate is about to

Regardless of what your 3rd party source is, the real thing you need
to worry about is the format of the data. Will it work well with the current
release of mythvideo? If not, you might want to consider an external player
as an alternative. Although the devs want to do away with external players..

[deletia]
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tylernt at gmail

Aug 6, 2010, 12:48 PM

Post #10 of 43 (2255 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

>>>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video.  This may
>>>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>>
>>> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
>>> for around $20, right?
>>
> I've in the past used a cheapo ($3 I believe) vga->s-video cable to
> get a console on servers to a 6" handheld tv

I believe there was an earlier post on this list about RGB vs YPbPr.
If your video card or TV can be set to either mode then a cheap $3
adapter should work. However if your video card only outputs RGB and
your TV only takes YPbPr you'll need the more expensive converter
boxes that may or may not do a good job of converting RGB to YPbPr.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Aug 7, 2010, 7:16 PM

Post #11 of 43 (2195 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
> <jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video.  This may
>>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
>> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
>> for around $20, right?
>
> If there are, I've never seen one.
>
> There are some s-video to HDMI solutions out there (usually for
> noticably more than $20), but I've never seen a converter for going
> the other way.
>
> VGA to S-video converters are more common, but still, you'd be better
> off selecting a front end system that has s-video out natively if
> that's what you want.

Therein lies the dilemma. If you are still running a TV without
VGA/DVI/HDMI you can't find a decent card that outputs to s-video or
component AND future proofs you with DVI/HDMI.

Sucks to own a CRT :(
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tortise at paradise

Aug 7, 2010, 9:42 PM

Post #12 of 43 (2193 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Rout" <nick.rout [at] gmail>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
> <jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video. This may
>>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
>> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
>> for around $20, right?
>
> If there are, I've never seen one.
>
> There are some s-video to HDMI solutions out there (usually for
> noticably more than $20), but I've never seen a converter for going
> the other way.
>
> VGA to S-video converters are more common, but still, you'd be better
> off selecting a front end system that has s-video out natively if
> that's what you want.

>Therein lies the dilemma. If you are still running a TV without
VGA/DVI/HDMI you can't find a decent card that outputs to s-video or
component AND future proofs you with DVI/HDMI.

>Sucks to own a CRT :(

I can't reconcile this post with the numerous cards that have composite, S-video, component, VGA and DVI outputs. (DVI can be
converted to HDMI) Certainly most new cards no longer support analogue, however plenty were produced and remain available.

One example is http://www.sparkle.com.tw/ which sets out a wide range of card models that gives one plenty to choose from. Beware
the various types of S-Video - and of course your CRT TV capability. (SD or HD?)

Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to accelerate the advice given to you here.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 7, 2010, 10:00 PM

Post #13 of 43 (2191 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On 8/8/2010 00:42, Tortise wrote:
> Beware the various types of S-Video

There is only one form of s-video. There are many proprietary breakout
cables that use a mini-din plug compatible with s-video.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jphekman at arborius

Aug 8, 2010, 6:30 AM

Post #14 of 43 (2155 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> accelerate the advice given to you here.

My TV's manual is available here:

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

The TV also supports RCA and composite, and I'm fine with using either
of those. (Would either of them work with the Acer, with some sort of
converter?)

I was intending to buy a DVI to s-video adapter from Apple ($19):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A

but it sounds like the wisdom from this list is that that won't work
(and thank you for that warning!). This appears to be what people use
for Mac Minis, but I'm guessing it is in some way Mac-only.

Is my best bet to buy an Acer and swap in a different graphics card? Or
buy a different system altogether? If a different system, I would very
much appreciate recommendations for an inexpensive front-end that will
output to my TV.

Although I previously said that I wanted the ability to go to HD later,
that isn't all that important. If it makes anything easier to give that
possibility up, I'm happy to. I'm a student living entirely on loans,
and looking at probably at least another five years of low income, so I
don't really expect to buy a good TV any time soon. (I have some hope
that my boyfriend might, and then I'd get to use it, but obviously best
not to bank too much on that :)

As always, thanks to everyone for all the information! This list is like
unto a fire hose. It's great.

Jessica
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Aug 8, 2010, 12:57 PM

Post #15 of 43 (2138 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:
>
>> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
>> accelerate the advice given to you here.
>
> My TV's manual is available here:
>
>  http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/
>
> Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
> end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
> not have s-video out.
>
> The TV also supports RCA and composite, and I'm fine with using either
> of those. (Would either of them work with the Acer, with some sort of
> converter?)
>
> I was intending to buy a DVI to s-video adapter from Apple ($19):
>
>  http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A
>
> but it sounds like the wisdom from this list is that that won't work
> (and thank you for that warning!). This appears to be what people use
> for Mac Minis, but I'm guessing it is in some way Mac-only.
>
> Is my best bet to buy an Acer and swap in a different graphics card?

You can't swap in a different card.

> Or
> buy a different system altogether? If a different system, I would very
> much appreciate recommendations for an inexpensive front-end that will
> output to my TV.
>
> Although I previously said that I wanted the ability to go to HD later,
> that isn't all that important. If it makes anything easier to give that
> possibility up, I'm happy to. I'm a student living entirely on loans,
> and looking at probably at least another five years of low income, so I
> don't really expect to buy a good TV any time soon. (I have some hope
> that my boyfriend might, and then I'd get to use it, but obviously best
> not to bank too much on that :)
>
> As always, thanks to everyone for all the information! This list is like
> unto a fire hose. It's great.
>
> Jessica
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tortise at paradise

Aug 8, 2010, 3:05 PM

Post #16 of 43 (2128 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman [at] arborius>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> accelerate the advice given to you here.

>My TV's manual is available here:

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

>Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

>The TV also supports RCA and composite, and I'm fine with using either
of those. (Would either of them work with the Acer, with some sort of
converter?)

Your TV also takes component which should give you the best quality from what you have.

A good cheap option (especially if you have one already) would be to find a good quiet second old Pentium say 2-3G, 1-2G RAM box
with a 512M NVIDIA 8400 or 8500 or 9400 or 9500 PCI or PCI-Express with the "S-Video" component break out adapter, (and DVI to cater
for any future unexpected winnings) for a frontend. http://www.sparkle.com.tw/ gives a well presented range of examples. I put
S-video in quotes because while the socket look at first glance to be S-Video its not, searching the web can clarify as it is
generally (incorrectly) referred to as S-Video also. A remote and IR device might be a consideration also.

http://www.buy.com/prod/gyration-gyr4101us-air-music-remote-with-lcd-display-motionsense-and/q/loc/111/207964449.html was recently
pointed out and is probably a great option. (Want to buy 2 and ship the second to me, as they wont ship/sell to New Zealand!!!??
Happy to pay.)

Aesthetics and quietness add cost.....

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


beww at beww

Aug 8, 2010, 3:23 PM

Post #17 of 43 (2130 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Sunday, August 08, 2010 04:05:15 pm Tortise wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman [at] arborius>
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
> Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes
>
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:
> > Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> > accelerate the advice given to you here.
> >
> >My TV's manual is available here:
> http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2
> /
>
> >Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
>
> end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
> not have s-video out.
>
> >The TV also supports RCA and composite, and I'm fine with using either
>
> of those. (Would either of them work with the Acer, with some sort of
> converter?)
>
> Your TV also takes component which should give you the best quality from
> what you have.
>
> A good cheap option (especially if you have one already) would be to find a
> good quiet second old Pentium say 2-3G, 1-2G RAM box with a 512M NVIDIA
> 8400 or 8500 or 9400 or 9500 PCI or PCI-Express with the "S-Video"
> component break out adapter, (and DVI to cater for any future unexpected
> winnings) for a frontend. http://www.sparkle.com.tw/ gives a well
> presented range of examples. I put S-video in quotes because while the
> socket look at first glance to be S-Video its not, searching the web can
> clarify as it is generally (incorrectly) referred to as S-Video also. A
> remote and IR device might be a consideration also.
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/gyration-gyr4101us-air-music-remote-with-lcd-displa
> y-motionsense-and/q/loc/111/207964449.html was recently pointed out and is
> probably a great option. (Want to buy 2 and ship the second to me, as
> they wont ship/sell to New Zealand!!!?? Happy to pay.)

I agree, the Revo is not for you if you need S-Video or composite out. Both of those are limited to standard definition, so
you may be able to use that 5200 card I believe you said you had, with the same caveats about the connector as mentioned
above.

It's funny, the 5200 was the "Gold Standard" of video cards for Myth for a long time, but its inability to handle HD has
made it a dinosaur. XVmC allowed under-powered computers to decode video, but XVmC has pretty much been supplanted by
VDPAU.

Getting an 8xxx or 9xxx video card would mean you could move to HD should you replace your set.

If you think you may be upgrading your TV set in the foreseeable future, then you probably don't want to spend money on
something that can only handle SD, but if you have it already and.or can re-purpose something you have, the above advice
is sound.


>
> Aesthetics and quietness add cost.....

Small, Quiet, Cheap, pick any 2.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tortise at paradise

Aug 8, 2010, 3:49 PM

Post #18 of 43 (2132 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman [at] arborius>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> accelerate the advice given to you here.

> My TV's manual is available here:

>http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

>Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

I note from your previous thread that you already have this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732629-80159138.html

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00839729.pdf shows the two types of S-Video adapter that may actually be present on your PC -
in which case it may well be just a case of configuring xorg.conf. It also suggests there are various model options, so it depends
what yours is. If in doubt a photo of the back of the video connection options would be helpful to clarify.

That pc would be fine as a FE with a video card that support component out, see my last post. As you have the PCI-E option that
would be cheapest.

Once getting over the complexity of setting up two screens the box should work fine with two screens, (and possibly even more given
the 256.44 nvidia driver (if I interpret the recent changes correctly) and the pre-existing inbuilt VGA...!)

Cheapest option by far is surely buy a video card (buy one with the component break out box maybe ebay?) and remote!

From the same place a
http://www.buy.com/prod/xfx-geforce-9400-gt-512mb-ddr2-550mhz-pci-e-2-0-video-card-pvt94gyhh2/q/loc/101/210761545.html is fanless
and should be fine, so long as it fits in the case, it seems its a full height case?

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tortise at paradise

Aug 8, 2010, 4:39 PM

Post #19 of 43 (2125 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tortise" <tortise [at] paradise>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman [at] arborius>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:42:33PM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Providing a URL to the manual of the TV is often a good way to
> accelerate the advice given to you here.

> My TV's manual is available here:

>http://www.retrevo.com/support/Philips-27PT543S-TVs-manual/id/278dj493/t/2/

>Right now, I would really like to just buy an Acer Revo for my front
end, as that seems to be what people here recommend. However, it does
not have s-video out.

>I note from your previous thread that you already have this:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732629-80159138.html

>http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00839729.pdf shows the two types of S-Video adapter that may actually be present on your PC -
in which case it may well be just a case of configuring xorg.conf. It also suggests there are various model options, so it depends
what yours is. If in doubt a photo of the back of the video connection options would be helpful to clarify.

>That pc would be fine as a FE with a video card that support component out, see my last post. As you have the PCI-E option that
would be cheapest.

>Once getting over the complexity of setting up two screens the box should work fine with two screens, (and possibly even more given
the 256.44 nvidia driver (if I interpret the recent changes correctly) and the pre-existing inbuilt VGA...!)

>Cheapest option by far is surely buy a video card (buy one with the component break out box maybe ebay?) and remote!

>From the same place a
http://www.buy.com/prod/xfx-geforce-9400-gt-512mb-ddr2-550mhz-pci-e-2-0-video-card-pvt94gyhh2/q/loc/101/210761545.html is fanless
and should be fine, so long as it fits in the case, it seems its a full height case?

_______________________________________________

Actually I've read the rest of your earlier thread and the good advice that's in there. Scrub the above, I forgot about the 512M
Video RAM requirement and it seems you only have half height bays, so I'd use, for example, a
http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=82&sub_id=311 which I expect includes the half height brackets. (I have the PCI
9400GT equiv and it came with the brackets, also one of those would work for you too!) You'd need to get something like this too
http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-nVidia-YPbPr-Component-S-Video-HDTV-Adapter-/200484560406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jphekman at arborius

Aug 9, 2010, 9:02 AM

Post #20 of 43 (2087 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 11:39:51AM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Actually I've read the rest of your earlier thread and the good
> advice that's in there. Scrub the above, I forgot about the 512M
> Video RAM requirement and it seems you only have half height bays,
> so I'd use, for example, a
> http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=82&sub_id=311 which
> I expect includes the half height brackets. (I have the PCI 9400GT
> equiv and it came with the brackets, also one of those would work
> for you too!) You'd need to get something like this too http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-nVidia-YPbPr-Component-S-Video-HDTV-Adapter-/200484560406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting -- that I get this second
nvidia card, install it in my current desktop, and then the new card
gets used with my computer monitor, and the old card (on the
motherboard, has s-video out) gets used with the TV? You suggest getting
an nVidia YPbPr Component S-Video HDTV Adapter as well, which makes me
think maybe the new card would be for use with the TV? Confused! :)

Jessica

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jphekman at arborius

Aug 9, 2010, 9:05 AM

Post #21 of 43 (2090 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:23:07PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> I agree, the Revo is not for you if you need S-Video or composite out.
> Both of those are limited to standard definition, so you may be able
> to use that 5200 card I believe you said you had, with the same
> caveats about the connector as mentioned above.

I'm not sure what 5200 card you're thinking of. I have an nvidia GeForce
6150 LE on my desktop's motherboard. If I decide to use the desktop,
I'll definitely need a new card. Looks like I might be coming back to
that as the best option, but I'm not sure what card to get for it
(though Tortoise had some ideas which might get me there). Because the
desktop is a "slimline" I am a little concerned that its guts might be
crammed together and that there might be issues with fitting something
new in.

Jessica

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Aug 9, 2010, 9:21 AM

Post #22 of 43 (2088 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman [at] arborius> wrote:
> I have an nvidia GeForce
> 6150 LE on my desktop's motherboard. If I decide to use the desktop,
> I'll definitely need a new card. Looks like I might be coming back to
> that as the best option, but I'm not sure what card to get for it
> (though Tortoise had some ideas which might get me there). Because the
> desktop is a "slimline" I am a little concerned that its guts might be
> crammed together and that there might be issues with fitting something
> new in.

You want something like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134083

It's relatively cheap, it fits in a low profile case, it's got
reasonable performance, and it's got S-video output natively in
addition to DVI and VGA. If you upgrade to an HDTV later, you can get
a DVI to HDMI cable and you're good to go.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


tortise at paradise

Aug 9, 2010, 1:00 PM

Post #23 of 43 (2076 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jessica Perry Hekman" <jphekman [at] arborius>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:02 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes


On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 11:39:51AM +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Actually I've read the rest of your earlier thread and the good
> advice that's in there. Scrub the above, I forgot about the 512M
> Video RAM requirement and it seems you only have half height bays,
> so I'd use, for example, a
> http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=82&sub_id=311 which
> I expect includes the half height brackets. (I have the PCI 9400GT
> equiv and it came with the brackets, also one of those would work
> for you too!) You'd need to get something like this too
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-nVidia-YPbPr-Component-S-Video-HDTV-Adapter-/200484560406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

>I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting -- that I get this second
nvidia card,

Yes that would do fine, also the one Eric Sharkey recommended has the half height brackets, no fan and seemes a very good price. It
is however only 256M, I understand 512M is still required so, unless Eric confirms 256M is ok, I'd pass on it.

Indeed the definition of your PC monitor is seldom talked about however maybe a consideration, if you have or want a high definition
PC monitor then the RAM is relevant for that too. If your monitor is <= 1280 x 1024 then 512M video card is in my view a minimium,
if you want to run higher definitions then there are 1024M cards around, I'd buy one of those. (e.g.
http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=87&sub_id=317 ) As Eric suggests the brand is probably not that important, ticking
the requirement boxes is.

>install it in my current desktop,

yes

>and then the new card gets used with my computer monitor,

preferably but can use old VGA still also!

> and the old card (on the motherboard, has s-video out) gets used with the TV?

no.

Computer monitor (VGA presumed) can be connected to either card, with the exception if you wish to watch Mythtv on the Computer
Monitor also at some stage then one would be best to connect to the new NVIDIA. (Indeed you'd have two VGA outs and could connect
two VGA monitors, as well as your TV and it would probably all work quite fine! a bit of xorg.conf work would be necessary, but
once done you'd forget it)

> You suggest getting an nVidia YPbPr Component S-Video HDTV Adapter as well, which makes me think maybe the new card would be for
> use with the TV?

Correct.

The new video chip in the new card is required to run mythtv on whatever, in your original scenario, you can connect your TV to the
card via the breakout cable I gave you on ebay using either of 1) composite cable, 2) S-Video or 3) component. (In ascending order
of quality) I'd use a compoisite cable to start and see how that went. Once you had it working and wanted to explore improving the
quality then you could try fiddling with S-Video or Component cables.

One more thing to check is the power supply wattage in your PC. From memory it should be at least 300W, 450W is ample. (As I
recall someone else has reported doing something similar and it was ok so probably ok)


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


eric at lisaneric

Aug 9, 2010, 1:13 PM

Post #24 of 43 (2069 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Tortise <tortise [at] paradise> wrote:
> Yes that would do fine, also the one Eric Sharkey recommended has the half
> height brackets, no fan and seemes a very good price. It is however only
> 256M, I understand 512M is still required so, unless Eric confirms 256M is
> ok, I'd pass on it.

I ran MythTV in HD on a system with a very similar card (with 256MB)
for quite a while. It did eventually go bad, but I don't think it was
due to lack of ram.

What is it that you think requires a minimum of 512MB?

Certainly for outputting SD video over S-video output I can't think of
anything that would require that.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


kevin at familyross

Aug 9, 2010, 3:40 PM

Post #25 of 43 (2065 views)
Permalink
Re: Plans for front & back end Myth boxes [In reply to]

On 8/9/2010 1:13 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Tortise<tortise [at] paradise> wrote:
>
>> Yes that would do fine, also the one Eric Sharkey recommended has the half
>> height brackets, no fan and seemes a very good price. It is however only
>> 256M, I understand 512M is still required so, unless Eric confirms 256M is
>> ok, I'd pass on it.
>>
> I ran MythTV in HD on a system with a very similar card (with 256MB)
> for quite a while. It did eventually go bad, but I don't think it was
> due to lack of ram.
>
> What is it that you think requires a minimum of 512MB?
>
> Certainly for outputting SD video over S-video output I can't think of
> anything that would require that.
>
> Eric
>

It's been mentioned on this list several times that 512MB is needed.
The wiki doesn't say that 512MB is required, only strongly recommended.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Caveats
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.