Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Fixed starting channel

skerit at kipdola

Jun 29, 2010, 3:11 PM

Fixed starting channel

Starting channels appear to be global: when I make a succesful change on
my frontend next time another frontend will start on that channel, too.
It doesn't matter if the channel is in that frontend's channel group.

This is incredibly annoying as certain HD channels don't play well on
slower frontends and tend to tear them down.

How can I manually fix the starting channel, so that it never changes?

Greetings,
Jelle De Loecker

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Jun 29, 2010, 3:24 PM

Re: Fixed starting channel [In reply to]

On 29 June 2010 23:11, Jelle De Loecker <skerit [at] kipdola> wrote:
> Starting channels appear to be global: when I make a succesful change on my
> frontend next time another frontend will start on that channel, too. It
> doesn't matter if the channel is in that frontend's channel group.
>
> This is incredibly annoying as certain HD channels don't play well on slower
> frontends and tend to tear them down.
>
> How can I manually fix the starting channel, so that it never changes?

You could run a script regularly that corrects the starting channel,
or you could remove the starting channel update query from the source
and rebuild MythTV.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott

malcolm.torrent at gmail

Jun 29, 2010, 3:43 PM

Re: Fixed starting channel [In reply to]

On 29/06/10 23:24, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 23:11, Jelle De Loecker<skerit [at] kipdola> wrote:
>
>> Starting channels appear to be global: when I make a succesful change on my
>> frontend next time another frontend will start on that channel, too. It
>> doesn't matter if the channel is in that frontend's channel group.
>>
>> This is incredibly annoying as certain HD channels don't play well on slower
>> frontends and tend to tear them down.
>>
>> How can I manually fix the starting channel, so that it never changes?
>>
> You could run a script regularly that corrects the starting channel,
> or you could remove the starting channel update query from the source
> and rebuild MythTV.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

I've seen this too. Its a minor irritation for me as I only have SD
channels, its just sometimes the Live TV channel is set to a parttime
channel slot and it baulks.
I thought about a script to fettle this but I wouldn't know where to
start. Perhaps a request to the dev list for a feature request asking
for a 'always start channel'.

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Jun 29, 2010, 4:03 PM

Re: Fixed starting channel [In reply to]

On 29 June 2010 23:43, malcolm <malcolm.torrent [at] gmail> wrote:

> Perhaps a request to the dev list for a feature request asking for a 'always
> start channel'.

No!!! Put any requests on the wiki request page.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

skerit at kipdola

Jun 29, 2010, 6:12 PM

Re: Fixed starting channel [In reply to]

Op woensdag 30-06-2010 om 00:03 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Nick
Morrott:

> On 29 June 2010 23:43, malcolm <malcolm.torrent [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a request to the dev list for a feature request asking for a 'always
> > start channel'.
>
> No!!! Put any requests on the wiki request page.
>
> Nick

Well, it's a nice workaround (creating a query and frequently run it
through cron)
Deactivating it in the source is an even better idea.

keemllib at gmail

Jun 29, 2010, 7:23 PM

Re: Fixed starting channel [In reply to]

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 23:43 +0100, malcolm wrote:
<snip>
> I thought about a script to fettle this but I wouldn't know where to
> start. Perhaps a request to the dev list for a feature request asking
> for a 'always start channel'.
<snip>

Hi;

The developers have already smiled on you (again.)

This is a great example for using a System Event.

Each time Live TV is started, have its System Event
execute the following script which changes to channel 2,
for example.

This could be a bit more graceful by testing if the host
(frontend) was up by pinging it 1st, but you are in control
of what it does.

Pick a file for a script like this to live, save the
following in it and make it executable.

--- script ---
# SAVE THIS SCRIPT IN A FILE 1st!!!
#
# Use mythtv-setup, 7 System Events->Live TV Started to point at the
# full path of the filename used, e.g. /home/mythtv/LiveTVStarted.sh.
#
# Be sure that Frontend Utilities/Setup->Setup->General->
# Remote Control (8th screen) Enable Network Remote Control interface
# is checked (restart the mythfrontend if it had to be turned on.)
#
# See: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_System_Events
# and: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Telnet_socket
# and: man netcat

netcat one_frontend_of_interest 6546 << EOF
play channel 2
quit
EOF

netcat another_frontend 6546 << EOF
play channel 2
quit
EOF
--- script ---

Remember, this is just an example (one that I tried on my system and it
works.) You can make it more complex or simpler as you choose.

And, I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this way, the channel
is only changed when Live TV is started.

Take care,

Bill Meek