Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

josu.lazkano at gmail

Jun 28, 2010, 3:49 AM

Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

Hello everybody!

I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?

I want to use all 1TB to record TV programs, I have an other 1TB NAS
(Samba) to store films, music and fotos.

I want to install Debian Squeeze.

Thanks and regards.

--
Josu Lazkano

linux at thehobsons

Jun 28, 2010, 4:59 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

Josu Lazkano wrote:

>I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
>channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?

There's no "MUST" about it - you can partition it as you want, but
there are some recommendations.

Personally I would do it like this :
100M for /boot - not required these days, but I'm just a bit stuck in my ways !
5G for / - should be waaay more than you need but it's hard to resize
afterwards.
Some swap
The rest as an LVM PV

Within the LVM I'd then create volumes for :
/var - about 5G should see you through
wherever the database stores it's files (/var/lib/mysql ?)
The rest for a recording store. Mount it on (for example) /store, but
create a directory in it and store the recording files in
/store/recordings. That way, if it fails to mount for some reason,
Myth will fail to find the directory and fail, rather than filling up
/

Ideally you would put your OS and database on a separate physical
drive - that way you can parallelise access to the database whilst
streaming recordings to/from disk.

Also, I might keep back some of the LVM initially - that way, if you
find you want a bit more room for the db or /var, then there's some
spare to extend the LV into.
--
Simon Hobson

richard.e.morton at gmail

Jun 28, 2010, 5:11 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

Keep you os and db on a separate drive to your recordings. Ideally split os
on one drive, db on another and recordings on 1 or more other drives...

Ext4 with journalling turned off, or other fs designed for large files is
recommended - review the list it has been discussed lots.

On 28 Jun 2010 13:00, "Simon Hobson" <linux [at] thehobsons> wrote:

Josu Lazkano wrote:

> I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
> channels, the...
There's no "MUST" about it - you can partition it as you want, but there are
some recommendations.

Personally I would do it like this :
100M for /boot - not required these days, but I'm just a bit stuck in my
ways !
5G for / - should be waaay more than you need but it's hard to resize
afterwards.
Some swap
The rest as an LVM PV

Within the LVM I'd then create volumes for :
/var - about 5G should see you through
wherever the database stores it's files (/var/lib/mysql ?)
The rest for a recording store. Mount it on (for example) /store, but create
a directory in it and store the recording files in /store/recordings. That
way, if it fails to mount for some reason, Myth will fail to find the
directory and fail, rather than filling up /

Ideally you would put your OS and database on a separate physical drive -
that way you can parallelise access to the database whilst streaming
recordings to/from disk.

Also, I might keep back some of the LVM initially - that way, if you find
you want a bit more room for the db or /var, then there's some spare to
extend the LV into.
--
Simon Hobson

mythtv-users [at] mythtv
h...

mythtv-list at dinkum

Jun 28, 2010, 5:21 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

On 28 Jun 2010, at 11:49, Josu Lazkano wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
> channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?

I'd partition is all as LVM and all as one XFS partition for /var/lib/mythtv or /media/mythtv whatever you prefer, the Debian installer makes this really easy from first install.

I'd put / on another disk entirely, doesn't need to be a big disk but it makes a massive difference to performance, also makes everything much quieter without all that seeking back and forth for recordings and database updates.

There's a wiki entry all about optimisations, that talks about file systems.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance

> I want to use all 1TB to record TV programs, I have an other 1TB NAS
> (Samba) to store films, music and fotos.

The recommendation is to mount one level up so myth can see if it's not available, /media with a /videos directory inside rather than /media/videos

> I want to install Debian Squeeze.

Ubuntu is better supported on here but I'm sure Debian can be used if that's your preference.

> Thanks and regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

josu.lazkano at gmail

Jun 28, 2010, 7:08 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
partition on my last Debian installs.

For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.

Thanks for all your help.

2010/6/28 Andre <mythtv-list [at] dinkum>:

> On 28 Jun 2010, at 11:49, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
>> channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?
>
> I'd partition is all as LVM and all as one XFS partition for /var/lib/mythtv or /media/mythtv whatever you prefer, the Debian installer makes this really easy from first install.
>
> I'd put / on another disk entirely, doesn't need to be a big disk but it makes a massive difference to performance, also makes everything much quieter without all that seeking back and forth for recordings and database updates.
>
> There's a wiki entry all about optimisations, that talks about file systems.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance
>

>> I want to use all 1TB to record TV programs, I have an other 1TB NAS
>> (Samba) to store films, music and fotos.
>
> The recommendation is to mount one level up so myth can see if it's not available, /media with a /videos directory inside rather than /media/videos
>
>> I want to install Debian Squeeze.
>
> Ubuntu is better supported on here but I'm sure Debian can be used if that's your preference.
>

>> Thanks and regards.
>>
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano

Josu Lazkano

belcampo at zonnet

Jun 28, 2010, 7:50 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
> channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?
>
> I want to use all 1TB to record TV programs, I have an other 1TB NAS
> (Samba) to store films, music and fotos.
>
> I want to install Debian Squeeze.
>
> Thanks and regards.

KISS
1 / partition of 2-3GB
1 /data for recordings and other data
No swap, enough memory <= 1GB, swap is only needed for misbehaving
applications.
All partitions XFS with allocsize=1024M as option to avoid
fragmentation, and/or is defragged very fast with xfs_fsr.

Using more partitions, they will be too large or too small, causes waste
or trouble.

My 2cents

Henk

travis at tabbal

Jun 28, 2010, 8:02 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>wrote:

> Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
> lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
> partition on my last Debian installs.
>
> For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
> a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.

SSD is overkill, but would work well. If you need a 2.5, a basic laptop HDD
will work fine as well. I used an old 40G IDE drive from a TiVo and it
worked great. Boot was a little slow, but still plenty quick and I didn't
see it waiting on the DB much. Recordings should go on a dedicated drive,
you will be much happier as you start loading the system down with
recordings and such. I had to switch after the fact, much harder than doing
it right the first time.

I don't really recommend the slowest drive you can find either, but I had
the 40G sitting in a box and wanted to see if it would help. It did. For the
1TB, I would do a single partition, XFS with the parameters mentioned on the
wiki. Personally, I would skip LVM on a drive for recordings. You don't need
it and it's another layer for the data to go through. If you want to expand,
all you need to do is add another drive or replace the existing one with a
file copy before starting Myth again. Another benefit to using the whole
drive for recordings only. :)

jakeisawake at gmail

Jun 28, 2010, 8:50 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
>> lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
>> partition on my last Debian installs.
>>
>> For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
>> a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.
>

> SSD is overkill, but would work well. If you need a 2.5, a basic laptop HDD
> will work fine as well. I used an old 40G IDE drive from a TiVo and it
> worked great. Boot was a little slow, but still plenty quick and I didn't
> see it waiting on the DB much. Recordings should go on a dedicated drive,
> you will be much happier as you start loading the system down with
> recordings and such. I had to switch after the fact, much harder than doing
> it right the first time.
>
> I don't really recommend the slowest drive you can find either, but I had
> the 40G sitting in a box and wanted to see if it would help. It did. For the
> 1TB, I would do a single partition, XFS with the parameters mentioned on the
> wiki. Personally, I would skip LVM on a drive for recordings. You don't need
> it and it's another layer for the data to go through. If you want to expand,
> all you need to do is add another drive or replace the existing one with a
> file copy before starting Myth again. Another benefit to using the whole
> drive for recordings only. :)

i totally support the above two recommendations. no need for LVM as
myth now supports multiple directories for everything. XFS is a good
choice but just be aware that you can't shrink an XFS partition if
that ever is an issue. even though myth supports media in multiple
directories you can always use aufs if you want an easier file system
to browse!

as for the distro choice, i am a debian user tracking testing and you
should have no more trouble installing and using myth than on another
distro. if you're a debian user and are looking for mythtv packages
you should know about http://debian-multimedia.org/ if you don't
already. if you want to build from source apt-get build-dep mythtv
should bring in all the required dev packages but to run myth you
probably have to manually install a few things (mysql?) good luck!

hth and welcome to the mythtv community!

josu.lazkano at gmail

Jun 28, 2010, 4:22 PM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
ama Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
sources.

So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
(capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)

About the 1TB drive, I found this interesting link:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Combat_Fragmentation_2

Which is the best way to format the drive on Debian in XFS?

Thank you very much, I have lots of work to do.

Kind regards.

2010/6/28 Jake <jakeisawake [at] gmail>:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your replyes, I am not any expert on this, so I must read
>>> lots before start to config the partition, I used to select automatic
>>> partition on my last Debian installs.
>>>
>>> For the second drive, ¿which will be the ideal one? ¿SSD? My HTPC has
>>> a small box, so it will be 2,5 inches, it is SATA.
>>

>> SSD is overkill, but would work well. If you need a 2.5, a basic laptop HDD
>> will work fine as well. I used an old 40G IDE drive from a TiVo and it
>> worked great. Boot was a little slow, but still plenty quick and I didn't
>> see it waiting on the DB much. Recordings should go on a dedicated drive,
>> you will be much happier as you start loading the system down with
>> recordings and such. I had to switch after the fact, much harder than doing
>> it right the first time.
>>
>> I don't really recommend the slowest drive you can find either, but I had
>> the 40G sitting in a box and wanted to see if it would help. It did. For the
>> 1TB, I would do a single partition, XFS with the parameters mentioned on the
>> wiki. Personally, I would skip LVM on a drive for recordings. You don't need
>> it and it's another layer for the data to go through. If you want to expand,
>> all you need to do is add another drive or replace the existing one with a
>> file copy before starting Myth again. Another benefit to using the whole
>> drive for recordings only. :)
>>

> i totally support the above two recommendations. no need for LVM as
> myth now supports multiple directories for everything. XFS is a good
> choice but just be aware that you can't shrink an XFS partition if
> that ever is an issue. even though myth supports media in multiple
> directories you can always use aufs if you want an easier file system
> to browse!
>
> as for the distro choice, i am a debian user tracking testing and you
> should have no more trouble installing and using myth than on another
> distro. if you're a debian user and are looking for mythtv packages
> you should know about http://debian-multimedia.org/ if you don't
> already.  if you want to build from source apt-get build-dep mythtv
> should bring in all the required dev packages but to run myth you
> probably have to manually install a few things (mysql?)  good luck!
>
> hth and welcome to the mythtv community!

Josu Lazkano

travis at tabbal

Jun 29, 2010, 7:39 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
> ama  Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
> sources.
>
> So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
> (capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)
>
> About the 1TB drive, I found this interesting link:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Combat_Fragmentation_2
>
> Which is the best way to format the drive on Debian in XFS?
>
> Thank you very much, I have lots of work to do.

Capacity, not much is needed. As I mentioned, I used a 40G. I seem to
recall only using about 5 of that though. My current primary backend
is using 9.8G, but it's also hosting the netboot image for the
frontends, so it has nearly 2x the space used. RPM, I used 5400, but
7200 would help with seeks which the database will be doing somewhat
frequently. Might be worth the small extra cost if you're buying a new
drive anyway. Filesystem, I don't really know if there's one that
would be better for / than anything else. I just use ext4 for that.

For XFS, I just use mkfs.xfs then update /etc/fstab to include the
allocsize parameter in the link you posted. 512m seems to work well
for me as well. My mount options are currently
"noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8,allocsize=512m". Nothing real special in
there.

mythtv-list at dinkum

Jun 29, 2010, 8:51 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

On 29 Jun 2010, at 00:22, Josu Lazkano wrote:

> Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
> ama Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
> sources.
>
> So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
> (capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)

Whatever is a good price because whatever you have will be much bigger than you need, 40GB is probably the smallest you will find new. If you want to run some other things maybe bigger is useful?
The database will be much quicker when it's on a separate drive to recordings so even a 4200rpm is probably good, 5400 is the normal though. I would get a single platter drive (9.5mm) as they are usually cooler and quieter.

MySQL guys don't recommend XFS for database files, EXT3 is a safe and reliable (well proven) bet, "I" wouldn't go with EXT4 just yet. H'mm my database files are on XFS, maybe I should change that!
I would put the OS install and everything except mythtv /recordings on the new drive, then it's also possible to spin the 1TB drive down when there are no recordings or playback, there are always some logs writing or something. My slave backend/ frontend does this because it is in the living room, also it is quieter because the database is on the master backend in the office, I also send logs remotely so there is very little disk activity other than recordings.

Andre

> About the 1TB drive, I found this interesting link:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Combat_Fragmentation_2
>
> Which is the best way to format the drive on Debian in XFS?
>
> Thank you very much, I have lots of work to do.
>
> Kind regards.
>
> 2010/6/28 Jake <jakeisawake [at] gmail>:

>>> SSD is overkill, but would work well. If you need a 2.5, a basic laptop HDD
>>> will work fine as well. I used an old 40G IDE drive from a TiVo and it
>>> worked great. Boot was a little slow, but still plenty quick and I didn't
>>> see it waiting on the DB much. Recordings should go on a dedicated drive,
>>> you will be much happier as you start loading the system down with
>>> recordings and such. I had to switch after the fact, much harder than doing
>>> it right the first time.
>>>
>>> I don't really recommend the slowest drive you can find either, but I had
>>> the 40G sitting in a box and wanted to see if it would help. It did. For the
>>> 1TB, I would do a single partition, XFS with the parameters mentioned on the
>>> wiki. Personally, I would skip LVM on a drive for recordings. You don't need
>>> it and it's another layer for the data to go through. If you want to expand,
>>> all you need to do is add another drive or replace the existing one with a
>>> file copy before starting Myth again. Another benefit to using the whole
>>> drive for recordings only. :)
>>>

>> i totally support the above two recommendations. no need for LVM as
>> myth now supports multiple directories for everything. XFS is a good
>> choice but just be aware that you can't shrink an XFS partition if
>> that ever is an issue. even though myth supports media in multiple
>> directories you can always use aufs if you want an easier file system
>> to browse!
>>
>> as for the distro choice, i am a debian user tracking testing and you
>> should have no more trouble installing and using myth than on another
>> distro. if you're a debian user and are looking for mythtv packages
>> you should know about http://debian-multimedia.org/ if you don't
>> already. if you want to build from source apt-get build-dep mythtv
>> should bring in all the required dev packages but to run myth you
>> probably have to manually install a few things (mysql?) good luck!
>>
>> hth and welcome to the mythtv community!

> Josu Lazkano

beww at beww

Jun 29, 2010, 9:10 AM

Re: Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV [In reply to]

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 09:51:14 am Andre wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2010, at 00:22, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> > Thanks for every post! I have lots of information to start with it. I
> > ama Debian user, I will install on Squeeze with debian-multimedia
> > sources.
> >
> > So first I will buy a 2,5 SATA drive to /, any recomendation?
> > (capacity, rpm, file system type, ...)
>
> Whatever is a good price because whatever you have will be much bigger than
> you need, 40GB is probably the smallest you will find new. If you want to
> run some other things maybe bigger is useful? The database will be much
> quicker when it's on a separate drive to recordings so even a 4200rpm is
> probably good, 5400 is the normal though. I would get a single platter
> drive (9.5mm) as they are usually cooler and quieter.

I use a 4Gb Hitachi Microdrive in a CF-to-SATA adapter. Draws almost nothing, can't be heard without a stethoscope and has
adequate capacity for an OS and Myth. Does not take up a drive bay, it can be squirreled away anywhere in the case.

Not a speed daemon, but fast enough.

Just one more option, out of many.