Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

twistedmatt107 at yahoo

Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

Before I get started, I want to say I have already confirmed the hardware and current setup are good by installing Windows 7 and the default software that came with the card. Both the analog and digital tuners worked perfectly. This issue only comes up in Linux and MythTV. I will go into what I have already tried at the later. Also, my experience with Linux is extremely limited so, if you do decide to help me, and I sure hope you do, I will need the special ed version of it. Aka, step by step or codes I can just copy and paste. The only reason I care about the Analog side is we only have Extended Basic Cable so, most of my channels are analog.

My issue is the analog tuner of my Hauppauge HVR-1600 is not working in MythTV. I have followed the complete instructions here (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600) yet the issue still persists. I also tried to follow the remote guide linked to on that page but was lost on part 3 nor did I understand what he meant by "update your kernel" in part 2 however, that is not something I am concerned with at the moment.

What happens is the screen displays either a red or black screen when I try to view an analog channel with "Watch Live TV." I have done channel scans and do not receive a lock on any analog channel either. I manually put in the channel as I am not a subscriber to Schedules Direct. I don't know the frequencies so I just put in the channel number. Remember, this EXACT same set up works in Windows with the default software. I have also moved the system to a different room just to be sure that somehow my current setup affected MythTV differently than it effected Windows and the default software but, it made no difference. In the other room it ran from the wall, to one splitter, then to my system.

What I have done to try and remedy this problem has been multiple reinstalls of Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, I believe I have also installed the 32-bit versions but, as I have been doing a lot over this week, I do not recall. I have also tried Mythbuntu but, it lacks the audio settings I need to get audio over HDMI unless I install the Ubuntu Desktop as well. I also tried installing some other variants of bundled MythTV with an OS to no avail. I have done many Google searches and tried many different "solutions" to this problem. Most of which resulted in nothing good happening and needing to reformat since I had no idea how to undo what I had done. As it currently stands, I have downgraded from MythTV .23 and Ubuntu 10.04 to MythTV .21 and Ubuntu 8.04 and still no change to this issue. Please help!

My System:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Version 1.1 Using the integrated graphics with ATI proprietary drivers. The integrated graphics is a Radeon HD 4200.

Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600

Ram: 2GB A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH

Processor: 2.9GHz Athlon II X3 ADX435WFGIBOX

Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with MythTV .21

Prior OS (That I would like to get back to): Ubuntu 10.04 with MythTV .23

I thank those of you for your help ahead of time. I have been struggling with this myself for over a week and I hope someone with more knowledge can help me solve this issue.

newbury at mandamus

Jun 1, 2010, 5:04 AM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

If you got the correct output from dmesg then the firmware and
everything *prior* to Mythtv is correct. If you have a /dev/video0
entry then the initial driver load is good. That leaves the setup in
Mythtv.
Looks like you have the wrong tuning standard. Go to 'Capture Cards'
and make sure that you have 'US-cable' selected.
Note that Analog Scan has been disabled for some time (iirc *very
recent SVN trunk* has it re-enabled) so put SchedulesDirrct in as your
source and let it retrieve your channels.
Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-06-01, at 2:26, Matthew <twistedmatt107 [at] yahoo> wrote:

> [...]
> since I had no idea how to undo what I had done. As it currently
> stands, I have downgraded from MythTV .23 and Ubuntu 10.04 to
> MythTV .21 and Ubuntu 8.04 and still no change to this issue. Please
> help!
>

> My System:
>
> Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Version 1.1 Using the
> integrated graphics with ATI proprietary drivers. The integrated
> graphics is a Radeon HD 4200.
>
> Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600
>
> Ram: 2GB A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH
>
> Processor: 2.9GHz Athlon II X3 ADX435WFGIBOX
>
> Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with MythTV .21
>
> Prior OS (That I would like to get back to): Ubuntu 10.04 with
> MythTV .23
>
> I thank those of you for your help ahead of time. I have been
> struggling with this myself for over a week and I hope someone with
> more knowledge can help me solve this issue.

mrand at pobox

Jun 1, 2010, 6:46 AM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:

> If you got the correct output from dmesg then the firmware and everything
> *prior* to Mythtv is correct. If you have a /dev/video0 entry then the
> initial driver load is good. That leaves the setup in Mythtv.
> Looks like you have the wrong tuning standard. Go to 'Capture Cards' and
> make sure that you have 'US-cable' selected.
> Note that Analog Scan has been disabled for some time (iirc *very recent
> SVN trunk* has it re-enabled) so put SchedulesDirrct in as your source and
> let it retrieve your channels.
> Geoff
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Howdy all,

While it was pretty recently that analog channel scanning was fixed after
being disabled/broken for quite some time, this occured in svn trunk before
the 0.23 branch and release, so it should technically be working in 10.04
and certainly Lucid auto-builds. Figuring out _how_ to make it do what you
want to do is something that some people have struggled with.

The Digital channel scanning re-write was included in the 0.22 release
(hence the breaking of analog scanning).

Having said all that (and to summarize what Nick said) if a cable box is
being used, channel scanning should not be used at all. The cable box
outputs on only one channel (typically 3 or 4), as well as composite,
component, and/or s-video. Instead of channel scanning, you obtain your
channel lineup from Schedules Direct (I think a free trial membership is
available so that you can verify everything is working before subscribing
for the token $20/year).

Have fun,

Marc

mythtv at hbuus

Jun 1, 2010, 10:26 AM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

You didn't mention a cable box, so I'm going to assume you aren't using one. If I were you, I would first make sure the driver is working properly. There's no point in working with 8.04 Hardy, because the cx18 driver (which is the one that supports the analog half of the HVR-1600) was immature to non-existent at that time, and you said 10.04 is the release you want to use. So your first step should be to install Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. That's what I'm using with an Athlon dual core 4850e and ASUS M3N78-PRO mobo. Once installed, you should then try to test tuning with the card outside of Myth. For this, you'll need mplayer and ivtv-utils installed, e.g:
sudo apt-get install mplayer
sudo apt-get install ivtv-utils
Assuming you've got a /dev/video0 device, you will now need to open two terminal windows.

In the first, you'll launch mplayer as follows:
mplayer -cache 8192 /dev/video0

In the second, you'll use ivtv-tune to try tuning in different channels, possibly using different frequency tables. For example:
ivtv-tune -t us-cable -c 23
should tune cable channel 23. Of course, you can choose any analog channel a TV hooked up to cable without cable box can tune. After a few seconds delay, you should see the result in the mplayer window.

If it doesn't work, you can try other frequency tables. ivtv-tune will list the options with the command:
ivtv-tune -L
In North America, there are three possibilities: us-cable, us-cable-hrc, us-cable-irc.
IOW, if the first ivtv-tune command doesn't produce sensible video and audio in the mplayer window, try these commands in the second terminal window:
ivtv-tune -t us-cable-hrc -c 23
ivtv-tune -t us-cable-irc -c 23

If you still don't get anything useful, then I suggest you post to the ivtv-users mailing list for help:

I think Linux kernel 2.6.32 has a version of the cx18 driver that will work well with the analog side of the HVR-1600. However, when/if you want to use the digital side with cable, you should get better results if you compile the latest v4l-dvb drivers. There was a fix that last November that significantly improved signal quality of clear QAM channels (digital cable).

Once you can show the card and driver are working with mplayer/ivtv-tune, then it's time to look at your MythTV configuration, as Geoff suggested. Make sure you've configured the same frequency table that worked with ivtv-tune. And, definitely, sign up for the free trial of Schedules Direct.

One other thought, if you've got a video clip (like one captured using Windows 7), try playing it using "mplayer file-name". That will rule out any issues that might exist with your on-board ATI graphics hardware and Linux.

HTH,
Helen

twistedmatt107 at yahoo

Jun 2, 2010, 8:49 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

Sorry if this is not the proper way to reply as I have not used a mailing list before.
Current Status I have no idea what is causing this issue to be honest. The DVRworked fine this morning, I just changed from loading AMD graphics to using opensource and that seemed to do it, but, now, later in the day, it is not working. Onlydifference between then and now is everyone is using the internet. I will try totest later on if this is indeed the case. Suffice it to say, from being elated thismorning and having it work to it dieing and now no longer working, yeah, notexactly happy.

All the configuration data has been correct since the beginning. Also, to clarify, thedigital side works perfectly and I have no complaints. I also do not have a set topbox so the IR blaster is not a concern at the moment. Only extended basic cablehere which is why I need the analog side to work. I have started looking intogetting a different card as well so I could test to see if I would have better results. I also signed up for a trial of Schedules Direct to see if thatwould make any difference, answer, not really. The analog scanner somewhatworks though. It picked up most of my channels even though it said it failed. A finalnote, I am now running Mythbuntu 10.04 64-bit with MythTV .23 as per basicallyeveryones suggestion.
I have tried everything everyone has suggested and unfortunately, except for theMythTV audio over HDMI that Nick (foxbuntu) had told me, it all failed. I'm nowthinking it has something to do with signal degredation as more people start usingtheir cable on the block and, as I said earlier, all the people currently using theinternet. I will try again tomorrow morning to see if it works then or not. If I do endup keeping this card, there are still a few other questions I have about it andabout Mythbuntu.
I still need to get the remote working however. Once again, I tried following thisguide that was linked to on the MythTVwiki:http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...6&postcount=27 but I am lost atstep 1 and 3. I have already updated to the newest drivers already so, I don'thave to redo step 2.

Also, I am having the known audio issue that causes there to be no audioplayback on analog channels. I have tried "sudo rmmod cx18" and "sudomodprobe cx18" however, every time I "sudo rmmod cx18" it tells me somethingelse is using it and it cannot be terminated at this time. How would I go aboutdisabling, well, what needs to be disabled.

Last thing I need to get set up in the system is get audio over HDMI for the entiresystem. That way I can stream videos from Firefox and such and have all audiothrough HDMI. I know I can do this in Ubuntu by simply right clicking the speakericon in the system tray and changing the preferences but, I cannot do that inMythbuntu. How would I go about setting this up?
After this point, it is what I had to do to get the DVR working... when it was ableto work this morning that is. I am getting help from a few places so I am includingeverything here to make sure everyone is on the same page.
Getting ATI Drivers working: NOW, to get the proprietary ATI drivers working that can be download from the hardware drivers link. I had to go into my MythTV Front End and follow these instructions from a fellow MythTV user who also bought this motherboard on Newegg:
MythTV Frontend Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Playback-> then to the third page and set the "Current Video Playback Profile" to "Normal."
Gukin, as he is called, was running an older setup though, I have found I can either run Normal, High Quality, or Slim. If I try to run any of the CPU types, I get a double vision thing going on with the screen. The screen gets split in half from left to right and the show is played in its entirety on both the top and bottom half. While I love my shows, I have no desire to watch them in stereo.
HDMI Audio:Thanks to an awesome guide from Nick (foxbuntu) I was able to get the HDMI audio working for MythTV. The guide is as follows:
From a terminal: aplay -l      - This will provide several audio playback devices, one will be easily be the HDMI port, similar to this:         -         - *card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]*         - The important parts are the card and device numbers, keep track of these      - Test audio out on the device like this: speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3(notice the format <card number>,<device number>)      - If the HDMI port is plugged in and working, you should get a static noise, you can press CTRL+C to stop it         - In the event this does not work, you need to make sure the HDMI port is not muted            - At a terminal: alsamixer            - Use the Left/Right arrows to navigate across the bottom of the screen, ensure any devices label S/PDIF or IEE* show a "00"  and not "MM", if they show "MM" you can type M to unmute them. To save and exit, use the ESC key. At this point
retry your testing above.         - In the MythTV Frontend, navigate the menus below:         - Utilities / Setup > Setup > General > Page 4 (Audio System)            - Audio output device: ALSA:plughw:0,3 (in the case of my system, the device and/or card numbers could be differentin your case)            - Click Next/Finish until you exit the menu. This will allow HDMI audio to work on your MythTV system.

twistedmatt107 at yahoo

Jun 3, 2010, 3:27 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

Alright, the issue is the cx18 driver itself. If I have no picture I can rmmod modprobe it. The other part of it was indeed the AMD graphics drivers I could have installed at startup so, first, I install the open source drivers, then if I have no picture I just rmmod then modprobe cx18.

I have an issue with that however. Since updating to the newest drivers via the tutorial on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600#Drivers every time I "sudo rmmod cx18" I get this error: "ERROR: Module cx18 is in use by cx18_alsa" How do I stop alsa from using the driver so I can rmmod it? Also still failing at getting the remote to work and hdmi audio for the system as a whole in Mythbuntu 10.04.

hoodlum7 at gmail

Jun 3, 2010, 8:33 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Matthew <twistedmatt107 [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Alright, the issue is the cx18 driver itself. If I have no picture I can
> rmmod modprobe it. The other part of it was indeed the AMD graphics drivers
> I could have installed at startup so, first, I install the open source
> drivers, then if I have no picture I just rmmod then modprobe cx18.
>
> I have an issue with that however. Since updating to the newest drivers via
> the tutorial on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600#Driversevery time I "sudo rmmod cx18" I get this error: "ERROR: Module cx18 is in
> use by cx18_alsa" How do I stop alsa from using the driver so I can rmmod
> it? Also still failing at getting the remote to work and hdmi audio for the
> system as a whole in Mythbuntu 10.04.

Stop your mythbackend. Then you should be able to do "sudo rmmod cx18_alsa
cx18."

twistedmatt107 at yahoo

Jun 6, 2010, 6:09 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

Ha, thanks. I feel kind of daft though. I tried to do just that on a prior install. I would stop the backend, rmmod cx18_alsa and it would not allow me, even with a sudo. Finally tried to force it out and, well, that wasn't the best idea. I also could still not rmmod cx18 as it would give me "ERROR: Module cx18 is in use by" but not say what it was being used by. Which is why I now have this install and, well, it works now so that is all that matters. Only difference between this install and the last, I didn't reinstall the firmware so, that may have something to do with it. I only updated the cx18 driver. As a note, alsa does not seem to use cx18 until AFTER I update it, but not before.

I wouldn't know how to add it to run at start up and the machine will not allow me to rmmod/modprobe either cx18 or cx18_alsa without sudo so, I guess I'm SoL in that regard. My startup ritual with this card is as follows:

1.) Turn on DVR.
2.) Make sure the TV is on or I will get no display.
3.) See if cx18 loaded properly.
4.) When it doesn't, shutdown the backend.
5.) rmmod cx18_alsa then cx18, then modprobe both in reverse order. (just to be sure)
6.) Check the frontend to see if I now have picture.
7.) When I don't have sound, I have to power off/on my TV so I can get sound.
8.) Finally start watching TV.

Might sound like a lot just to watch TV but, after the headache I've had the past two weeks trying to just get it to work, this is nothing. I'm sure in time it will get old but, for now, I'm just happy it works. One thing I was not happy about was in the http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/File_storage guide saying MythTV saved its files to /home/mythtv/tvstore which, for .23 at least, is no longer true. I have since moved it to the /home folder since I already have the HDD partitioned to give the bulk of my space to /home and XFS formatted. The default area .23 saves TV files to is /var/lib/mythtv Not a big deal to change the directories though. Just had to ensure the permissions for the folders were correct and I was in business.

As it currently stands, this is my status:

1.) Get system working at all. [OK] (Had to install opensource graphical drivers when I first installed Mythbuntu instead of the AMD ones.)

2.) Get audio for MythTV over HDMI. [OK] (Followed guide I posted earlier.)

3.) Be able to rmmod/modprobe cx18_alsa and cx18. [OK] (If I couldn't do this, the system would not work period.)

4.) Get the proprietary ATI drivers to work in MythTV [OKish] (I'm not using it at the moment because the screen will still have issues. I will get a horizontal split on the screen during fast movement scenes and the top half will lag behind the bottom half. Aka, if someone is moving their head from the left side of the screen to the right, the bottom half will move before the top half will. Only issue I have with the opensource driver is the screens outer edges are cut off as it seems to think my display is larger than it really is. I tried to find a scaling tool to make it fit but cannot. I just used the Wizard in MythTV to get it to fit properly. Doesn't help for watching full screen videos on YouTube though.)

Last things I need to accomplish to say I am completely done:

1.) Get HDMI audio for the entire system. I have set the mixer to HDA ATI HDMI (Alsa mixer), which I had to do to get audio for MythTV, but, still no audio for the rest of the system. I know I can easily do so in Ubuntu via right clicking the speaker icon and changing the preferences but, don't know of a way to do so in Mythbuntu as there is not speaker icon in the system tray. I assume there is some roundabout way to do so in the terminal but, have yet to find a guide on it.

2.) Get the remote working. I've tried the tutorial linked to at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 and the other tutorials in the thread. But, I can either not understand them, they do not seem to work in Mythbuntu, or are not intended for 10.04.

mythtv at hbuus

Jun 6, 2010, 7:33 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

> 2.) Get the remote working. I've tried the tutorial linked to at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 and the other tutorials
> in the thread. But, I can either not understand them, they do not seem
> to work in Mythbuntu, or are not intended for 10.04.

Like you, I couldn't get lirc working with the HVR-1600 IR receiver.
What worked for me was to use the ir-kbd-i2c module, which provides
in-kernel keyboard emulation for several IR receivers and remotes.

I used information found here to get it working:
http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/

A couple of things:

- That link has talk about a patch that you don't need with 10.04.

- I modified the modprobe statements in enable_hauppauge_remote.sh to
include the option: hauppauge=1, because the remote that came with my
card was grey, not black. Execute the command:
modinfo ir-kbd-i2c
for more info on this option and others supported by the module.

- I modified hauppauge_remote.conf to suit my preferences.

- Using this approach isn't the way to go if you want to use the IR
blaster that comes with the card. For that, you'll need to use the
lirc_zilog module maintained by Jarod Wilson.

HTH,
Helen

mythtv at hbuus

Jun 6, 2010, 7:52 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

> 2.) Get the remote working. I've tried the tutorial linked to at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 and the other tutorials
> in the thread. But, I can either not understand them, they do not seem
> to work in Mythbuntu, or are not intended for 10.04.

Like you, I couldn't get lirc working with the HVR-1600 IR receiver.
What worked for me was to use the ir-kbd-i2c module, which provides
in-kernel keyboard emulation for several IR receivers and remotes.

I used information found here to get it working:
http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/

A couple of things:

- That link has talk about a patch that you don't need with 10.04.

- I modified the modprobe statements in enable_hauppauge_remote.sh to
include the option: hauppauge=1, because the remote that came with my
card was grey, not black. Execute the command:
modinfo ir-kbd-i2c
for more info on this option and others supported by the module.

- I modified hauppauge_remote.conf to suit my preferences.

- Using this approach isn't the way to go if you want to use the IR
blaster that comes with the card. For that, you'll need to use the
lirc_zilog module maintained by Jarod Wilson.

HTH,
Helen

hugh at mimosa

Jun 6, 2010, 10:57 PM

Re: Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues [In reply to]

| From: Matthew <twistedmatt107 [at] yahoo>

My HVR-1600 analogue recordings work, except for subtle problems that
I've posted here.

I wonder why my system works and yours does not.

| My System:
|
| Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Version 1.1 Using the integrated
| graphics with ATI proprietary drivers. The integrated graphics is a
| Radeon HD 4200.

I use an ECS BLACK SERIES GF8200A (V1.0) AM2+/AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 8200
HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard. I don't watch anything on it except to
experiment -- it's a backend.

| Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600

I've got two in the system.

| Ram: 2GB A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH

I've got 2G of RAM too.

| Processor: 2.9GHz Athlon II X3 ADX435WFGIBOX

AMD Athlon II X2 240

| Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with MythTV .21

Built with Ubuntu 9.04, upgraded to 9.10, then upgraded to 10.04. At
each upgrade, the Mythbuntu version of MythTV was upgraded. Mostly
correctly, I think. I have fiddled with recording profiles.

Every time the kernel gets updated, I grab the drivers from the hg
repository, rebuild the modules, and install them. Then I reboot: no
messing with module commands for me.

I don't use the remote. I don't use the digital tuner (I use cable
and in our lousy regultory regime (Canada), the cable companies
encrypt all digital signals).

My system seems to think that it is a Mythbuntu system (I think that
it is Ubuntu with MythTV packages from Mythbuntu). The desktop is a
Mythbuntu thing. Perhaps they have tamed ALSA (or Pulse Audio) in
some manner.

Are you sure that, when you build the driver, all your make commands
complete correctly?

I build the driver in a way slightly different from the procedure in
the wiki. I always start with a fresh copy of the tree fetched from
the repository. I don't do any of the pre-compilation steps other
than the cd. I do:

# this make will fail since I don't have the entire kernel source
# but it will build v4l/.config
make

# change v4l/.config to suppress the DVB_FIREDTV module
# so make can work
mv v4l/.config v4l/.config.ORIG
sed -e '/^CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m$/s//CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n/' v4l/.config.ORIG >v4l/.config

# check that the sed worked
diff v4l/.config.ORIG v4l/.config # to see that the sed worked
# expected output (line numbers may differ):
# 235c235
# < CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m
# ---
# > CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n

Then I continue with the "Compile and add the module to the kernel":

make # this time it will succeed since the offending module is
suppressedw
sudo make install
Then I reboot.