Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels)

foceni at gmail

Feb 7, 2010, 5:59 AM

Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels)

Hello,

I have a problem with the Program Guide, be it called from the LiveTV or
the main menu. After opening, it's loading for about 4sec. When that's
finished (loaded) it takes about 4sec to move the cursor just one line
up or down, and about 1sec to move left and right. Because of this, the
guide is almost unusable. I have to schedule all my recordings via
MythWeb, which is rather impractical, because the whole setup is
/intended to be/ completely standalone, operated with just a bluetooth
PS3 BD remote.

My setup is Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, local FE+BE+DB [SVN trunk], disk is SSD
OCZ Vertex Turbo (measured 250MB/s sustained read). I think that's
quite a powerful machine, it shouldn't be an issue. I have 66 unique
channels (80 total), two video sources with different providers and the
combined XMLTV I generate for 12 days ahead is usually about 14MB
(there's all kinds of details - long descriptions, sub-titles, ep info,
complete credits, premiere/last-showing, icon URL's, rating, years,
dates, categories, etc).

I'd like to ask if this is a known issue and/or what can I do about it?
The basic guide doesn't contain much information, it shows 4 time slots
per 5 channels, no details, only program titles and categories. It
shouldn't be so resource intensive (if that's the reason).

I'm a programmer myself - if there are any suggestions w.r.t.
optimizations or code changes, I'm volunteering to do it and test it.

Thank you,

--
David Kubicek

rafmoslin at gmail

Feb 7, 2010, 9:35 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

As odd as it sounds have you tried turning off the live preview window?

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 7, 2010, 10:08 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

On 02/07/2010 08:59 AM, David Kubicek wrote:
> I have a problem with the Program Guide, be it called from the LiveTV
> or the main menu. After opening, it's loading for about 4sec. When
> that's finished (loaded) it takes about 4sec to move the cursor just
> one line up or down, and about 1sec to move left and right. Because of
> this, the guide is almost unusable. I have to schedule all my
> recordings via MythWeb, which is rather impractical, because the whole
> setup is /intended to be/ completely standalone, operated with just a
> bluetooth PS3 BD remote.
>
> My setup is Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, local FE+BE+DB [SVN trunk], disk is SSD
> OCZ Vertex Turbo (measured 250MB/s sustained read). I think that's
> quite a powerful machine, it shouldn't be an issue. I have 66 unique
> channels (80 total), two video sources with different providers and
> the combined XMLTV I generate for 12 days ahead is usually about 14MB
> (there's all kinds of details - long descriptions, sub-titles, ep
> info, complete credits, premiere/last-showing, icon URL's, rating,
> years, dates, categories, etc).
>
> I'd like to ask if this is a known issue and/or what can I do about
> it? The basic guide doesn't contain much information, it shows 4 time
> slots per 5 channels, no details, only program titles and categories.
> It shouldn't be so resource intensive (if that's the reason).
>
> I'm a programmer myself - if there are any suggestions w.r.t.
> optimizations or code changes, I'm volunteering to do it and test it.

Likely broken channel icons if it's only in the EPG.

If it's also slow in Watch Recordings, it's probably either broken
clocks and/or broken image caching support (i.e. fix your $HOME/.mythtv
directory/mount options/permissions).

Mike

foceni at gmail

Feb 7, 2010, 11:09 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

On 02/07/2010 06:35 PM, Rafael Moslin wrote:
> As odd as it sounds have you tried turning off the live preview window?

Not related. Happens even without the preview window, like I said, when
called from Schedule Recordings. It's definitely the amount of EPG data.

This installation didn't have this issue when I was using EIT (much less
info). It wasn't so bad even after I switched to XMLTV, it was a bit
slower, but there wasn't much more data then the EIT.

Now that I use my extremely detailed XMLTV grabber and the amount of XML
data per day more than tripled, just moving the cursor (without any
scrolling) takes 4sec.

In fact, it's not odd at all if you notice that the progressive
deterioration of performance is based purely on increasing amount of
available EPG data. Perhaps most people don't use such abundant sources
or don't see so many days ahead (I have 13 days), I don't know, but
that's not the point. Moving the guide selection from one program to the
next shouldn't take 4sec even if I had 3yrs worth of data... :)

--
David Kubicek

foceni at gmail

Feb 7, 2010, 11:19 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

On 02/07/2010 07:08 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/07/2010 08:59 AM, David Kubicek wrote:
>> I have a problem with the Program Guide, be it called from the LiveTV
>> or the main menu. After opening, it's loading for about 4sec. When
>> that's finished (loaded) it takes about 4sec to move the cursor just
>> one line up or down, and about 1sec to move left and right. Because of
>> this, the guide is almost unusable. I have to schedule all my
>> recordings via MythWeb, which is rather impractical, because the whole
>> setup is /intended to be/ completely standalone, operated with just a
>> bluetooth PS3 BD remote.
>>
>> My setup is Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, local FE+BE+DB [SVN trunk], disk is SSD
>> OCZ Vertex Turbo (measured 250MB/s sustained read). I think that's
>> quite a powerful machine, it shouldn't be an issue. I have 66 unique
>> channels (80 total), two video sources with different providers and
>> the combined XMLTV I generate for 12 days ahead is usually about 14MB
>> (there's all kinds of details - long descriptions, sub-titles, ep
>> info, complete credits, premiere/last-showing, icon URL's, rating,
>> years, dates, categories, etc).
>>
>> I'd like to ask if this is a known issue and/or what can I do about
>> it? The basic guide doesn't contain much information, it shows 4 time
>> slots per 5 channels, no details, only program titles and categories.
>> It shouldn't be so resource intensive (if that's the reason).
>>
>> I'm a programmer myself - if there are any suggestions w.r.t.
>> optimizations or code changes, I'm volunteering to do it and test it.
>
> Likely broken channel icons if it's only in the EPG.
>
> If it's also slow in Watch Recordings, it's probably either broken
> clocks and/or broken image caching support (i.e. fix your $HOME/.mythtv
> directory/mount options/permissions).

Great suggestion, actually, because my current XMLTV grabber is the
first one to include channel icon URL's! :) That could be it. I'll check
it out.

Can't imagine how permissions would cause such delays, open() just
succeeds or fails, but I'm filling the DB as root for now (while tuning
my new grabber) and channel icons are in /root/.mythtv/channels (or
similar), which isn't readable by myth user.

I allowed read perms for /root temporarily (no secrets there anyway) and
the delays are GONE!

Nice one, thank you Michael. :)

--
David Kubicek

rafmoslin at gmail

Feb 7, 2010, 11:28 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

On 7 February 2010 19:19, David Kubicek <foceni [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 02/07/2010 07:08 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2010 08:59 AM, David Kubicek wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem with the Program Guide, be it called from the LiveTV
>>> or the main menu. After opening, it's loading for about 4sec. When
>>> that's finished (loaded) it takes about 4sec to move the cursor just
>>> one line up or down, and about 1sec to move left and right. Because of
>>> this, the guide is almost unusable. I have to schedule all my
>>> recordings via MythWeb, which is rather impractical, because the whole
>>> setup is /intended to be/ completely standalone, operated with just a
>>> bluetooth PS3 BD remote.
>>>
>>> My setup is Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, local FE+BE+DB [SVN trunk], disk is SSD
>>> OCZ Vertex Turbo (measured 250MB/s sustained read). I think that's
>>> quite a powerful machine, it shouldn't be an issue. I have 66 unique
>>> channels (80 total), two video sources with different providers and
>>> the combined XMLTV I generate for 12 days ahead is usually about 14MB
>>> (there's all kinds of details - long descriptions, sub-titles, ep
>>> info, complete credits, premiere/last-showing, icon URL's, rating,
>>> years, dates, categories, etc).
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask if this is a known issue and/or what can I do about
>>> it? The basic guide doesn't contain much information, it shows 4 time
>>> slots per 5 channels, no details, only program titles and categories.
>>> It shouldn't be so resource intensive (if that's the reason).
>>>
>>> I'm a programmer myself - if there are any suggestions w.r.t.
>>> optimizations or code changes, I'm volunteering to do it and test it.
>>>

>> Likely broken channel icons if it's only in the EPG.
>>
>> If it's also slow in Watch Recordings, it's probably either broken
>> clocks and/or broken image caching support (i.e. fix your $HOME/.mythtv
>> directory/mount options/permissions).
>>

> Great suggestion, actually, because my current XMLTV grabber is the first
> one to include channel icon URL's! :) That could be it. I'll check it out.
>
> Can't imagine how permissions would cause such delays, open() just succeeds
> or fails, but I'm filling the DB as root for now (while tuning my new
> grabber) and channel icons are in /root/.mythtv/channels (or similar), which
> isn't readable by myth user.
>
> I allowed read perms for /root temporarily (no secrets there anyway) and
> the delays are GONE!
>
> Nice one, thank you Michael. :)
>
> --
> David Kubicek

Cool, that was my next suggestion for you based on a problem years back with
gif icons, happily beaten to it! Just out of intrest I have always used
(Radio Times) XMLTV with 14 days advance guide and have in excess of 2 years
of data with no noticeable slowdown.

ylee at pobox

Feb 7, 2010, 11:41 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

David Kubicek <foceni [at] gmail> says:
> In fact, it's not odd at all if you notice that the progressive
> deterioration of performance is based purely on increasing amount of
> available EPG data. Perhaps most people don't use such abundant sources
> or don't see so many days ahead (I have 13 days)

13 days is hardly unusual; anyone in North America using
SchedulesDirect has that much. Neither is 66 channels; my San
Francisco cable provider offers me a few multiples of that number,
plus more from over-the-air (although many overlap with cable
counterparts).

You mention using a (Custom?) "extremely detailed XMLTV grabber," but
the variety of details you list:

long descriptions, sub-titles, ep info, complete credits,
premiere/last-showing, icon URL's, rating, years, dates,
categories, etc

is, again, nothing unusual for any SchedulesDirect user.

In other words, your setup isn't anything particularly demanding from
a MythTV perspective.

> I don't know, but that's not the point. Moving the guide selection
> from one program to the next shouldn't take 4sec even if I had 3yrs
> worth of data... :)

I don't disagree. That said, I can navigate the EPG reasonably well on
my more than four years-old frontend/backend (see below) whether with
a Live TV preview window in the corner or not. As Mike Dean advised
you, check your channel icons and their directory's permissions/mount
settings.

(Why are you using the EPG to schedule most of your recordings,
anyway? I use it occasionally, of course, but most of the time Program
Finder, or one of the searches in Search Words/Search Lists/Custom
Record, is more convenient.)

--
Frontend/backend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 7, 2010, 11:42 AM

Re: Very slow EPG guide - movement, etc (XMLTV source, 66 channels) [In reply to]

On 02/07/2010 02:28 PM, Rafael Moslin wrote:
> On 7 February 2010 19:19, David Kubicek wrote:
>
>> Great suggestion, actually, because my current XMLTV grabber is the first
>> one to include channel icon URL's! :) That could be it. I'll check it out.
>>
>> Can't imagine how permissions would cause such delays, open() just succeeds
>> or fails,

But when you try 12 times per channel icon (because you /promised/ myth
that the channels were available in the locations your database
specifies) and factor in the caching and everything, it takes forever.

>> but I'm filling the DB as root for now (while tuning my new
>> grabber) and channel icons are in /root/.mythtv/channels (or similar), which
>> isn't readable by myth user.
>>
>> I allowed read perms for /root temporarily (no secrets there anyway) and
>> the delays are GONE!
>>
>> Nice one, thank you Michael. :)
> Cool, that was my next suggestion for you based on a problem years back with
> gif icons, happily beaten to it! Just out of intrest I have always used
> (Radio Times) XMLTV with 14 days advance guide

Right, the program listings are tiny in the grand scheme. Nothing to
worry about for either speed of the app or size of the database.

> and have in excess of 2 years
> of data

Though only about 24 days of listings data, max... 10 days prior to
today plus up to about 2 weeks after today. Myth cleans up the database
automatically.

> with no noticeable slowdown.

Exactly.

Mike