Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Dec 15, 2009, 2:19 PM

New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin

Hi All,

Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
that you might enjoy. As most of you know, there have been many,
many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
Myth.

Doug was interested and we set out to build a plugin for myth that met
a number of goals:

1) The plugin should allow for using popular web sites without
violating their terms of service.
2) The plugin should be very easy to extend with scripts.
3) The grabber script format should be very, very easy to understand and use.
4) The plugin should be MythUI, completely themable, and contain code
which conformed to the rest of Myth's coding standards.
5) The plugin should ship with a number of very popular sites already
supported.

With those goals in mind, we created MythNetvision. MNV is a native
MythUI Internet video on demand plugin in two parts. An internet
video search and an internet video tree browser. MNV uses the
net-standard RSS 2.0 item format in returns, and is fully compatible
with itunes and yahoo media namespaces. We support both media which
is web-only (by spawning a browser directly to the playback link) and
downloadable (by threading off a download and playing in the internal
player as soon as enough data is buffered). We provide full support
for external players and download scripts for sites and media which
the internal player does not support, or which require logic to
accomplish the download. Adding a site is as simple as parsing an API
or site and formatting each item as an RSS article in the output of
the script.

Highlights:

* Youtube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, MTV Videos, and TMDB Trailers are all
already included as search and tree views
* Tree parsing happens in the background any time MythFrontend is
open. The tree is always kept current as long as the frontend is
running.
* Technically speaking, "curl http://path/to/an/RSS/feed.rss" is a
valid grabber script which will return working, downloadable results.
* All existing grabbers return full screen, autoplay results when they
are available and the API allows. When not possible, the best
possible result is played.
* Plugin respects all terms of service of all involved sites.

Goals going forward:

* To integrate downloadable media into recordings.
* Enable the user to add a "tree view" for a site by dumping the video
RSS feeds for the site into a grabber config file (adding Revision3 as
a fully browseable site would be as simple as dropping the RSS feeds
in the grabber config)
* More search grabbers, more tree views.
* Code cleanup. Lots and lots of code cleanup.
* Encourage the development of other grabber scripts.

So, the idea is to bring together all the ideas of MythVodka,
MythTube, MythStreams, and all the others that have gone before in a
plugin that is simple to use, simple to expand, and allows everyone to
achieve their goals.

MythNetvision is not yet available. Doug and I want it to be truly
polished before we release, and that means a lot more work on the
code, and a bunch more grabbers. But, as a sneak peek, here is
version from a few nights ago doing its thing. You will see both the
search and the tree view in action.

http://www.fecitfacta.com/MythNetvision.ogg

Hope this gets people excited about the idea. To head off a few
potential questions before they are asked, we don't need beta testers,
we'll likely just release when it's ready. We will release by .23.
The current plugin would run just fine on .22. We can only distribute
scripts/grabbers which comply with the terms of service in our code.

Examples of sites that should be very easily (and legally) implementable:

Comedy Central
The Escapist Magazine
Revision3
Recent Apple Movie Trailers
BBC iPlayer

etc.

Note that not all of the above have Search APIs, but would be easily
addable to tree view by using their provided video RSS feeds and
stitching them together with a little script-fu. Plus, with the BBC
iPlayer API expected sometime in the future, full browse and search
support should be possible too.

Robert

fmerrill1 at gmail

Dec 15, 2009, 2:58 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
> Myth.

Wow, wow, and WOW!

Looking forward to this.

support at ocg

Dec 15, 2009, 3:16 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

Hopefully some Canuck out there is working on a compatible Rogers-On-Demand
script!

Me too wow!

> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
> Myth.

Wow, wow, and WOW!

Looking forward to this.

jarpublic at gmail

Dec 15, 2009, 3:17 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

>> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
>> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
>> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
>> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
>> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
>> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
>> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
>> Myth.
>>

> Wow, wow, and WOW!
>
> Looking forward to this.

This looks really great, and I think it will be valuble/important for
mythtv going forward. I noticed the absence of any mention of Hulu or
any of the major networks' sites (e.g. FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC). Are these
just in the "work to be done" category, or is there a technological or
TOS limitation that prevents this. I have been really impressed with
clicker.com. They have a great interface that lets you search or
browse almost any TV Show and many Movies and it links you to where
they are available on the web. Being able to browse clicker.com from
within MNV would be great.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Dec 15, 2009, 3:37 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
>>> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
>>> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
>>> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
>>> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
>>> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
>>> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
>>> Myth.
>>>

>> Wow, wow, and WOW!
>>
>> Looking forward to this.
>
> This looks really great, and I think it will be valuble/important for
> mythtv going forward. I noticed the absence of any mention of Hulu or
> any of the major networks' sites (e.g. FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC). Are these
> just in the "work to be done" category, or is there a technological or
> TOS limitation that prevents this. I have been really impressed with
> clicker.com. They have a great interface that lets you search or
> browse almost any TV Show and many Movies and it links you to where
> they are available on the web. Being able to browse clicker.com from
> within MNV would be great.

It's mostly a conscious decision by Doug and myself to only work on
material that abides by terms of service and legality in our home
locales. I fear saying to much out of fear of it sounding like an
endorsement, but the plugin itself is totally agnostic to what is
feeding it data. Any script or program which can properly format the
output data and properly responds to the arguments passed to all
grabbers will be compatible. There is a great deal of creativity
involved in writing the grabber, as it's up to the script author to
determine what and how the data is formatted. The one thing I can say
for sure is that a) we will only *distribute* scripts which we can
verify are compliant and on the up and up, and b) we are willing to
help add support for any source which is.

Robert

mlists at dressler

Dec 15, 2009, 3:44 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On 12/15/2009 06:16 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Hopefully some Canuck out there is working on a compatible Rogers-On-Demand
> script!
>
> Me too wow!

NICE! I'll likely work on a script for Rogers-on-demand but gotta wait
for the product to be released!

Looking forward to it!

Norm

r.d.vaughan at rogers

Dec 15, 2009, 9:58 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

The TOS for clicker.com specifically prohibits the kind of access thet
Netvision will provide. See "use or launch any automated system,
including without limitation, "bots," "spiders," or "offline readers,"
that accesses the Site;" quoted from
http://www.clicker.com/about/terms.html section "Prohibited Conduct".

jarpublic at gmail

Dec 15, 2009, 10:09 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> The TOS for clicker.com specifically prohibits the kind of access thet
> Netvision will provide. See "use or launch any automated system, including
> without limitation, "bots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses
> the Site;" quoted from http://www.clicker.com/about/terms.html section
> "Prohibited Conduct".

Yeah, I saw that but I wasn't sure how Netvision worked. If it was
doing an automated crawl, or if it was browsing in real time like a
user would. They do allow 3rd party apps, etc, as long as they don't
cause a higher load than a normal user would. Also Clicker has made an
official App for Boxee, so I don't think they would be adverse to what
Netvision would be doing with it, as long as it was browsing like a
normal user would and as long as it isn't downloading content for
offline use. I understand that this all hangs on the interpretation of
their words and their meaning of them. I just wanted to check because
it seems like a nice central way to get to everything else.

r.d.vaughan at rogers

Dec 16, 2009, 12:23 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

Michelle,
The difficulty with getting access to Rogers on-line TV is that they
require a userid/psw which is not insurmountable but they do not have an
API. So far all the grabbers in Netvision are based on open API's or
standard RSS feeds. The use of APIs ensures that we are following TOS
and avoids the inevitable maintenance hassles when screen scrapping.

Doug

mcdent at gmail

Dec 16, 2009, 12:31 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

2009/12/15 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
> Hi All,
>
> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,

Excellent! Well done on what you have done so far!
I did like your taste in the Peep Show too :)

Mike

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Dec 16, 2009, 8:42 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Mike Dent <mcdent [at] gmail> wrote:
> 2009/12/15 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
>> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
>>

> Excellent! Well done on what you have done so far!
> I did like your taste in the Peep Show too :)
>
> Mike

Great show. :)

Robert

junk_inbox at verizon

Dec 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> Hope this gets people excited about the idea.

It sure does... ;-) GREAT work guys!!!! Looking forward to the day you
release it. ;-)

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

J-e-f-f-A

nospam312 at gmail

Dec 16, 2009, 12:22 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

2009/12/15 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
> Myth.

Fantastic news.

I can't wait to see if BBC iPlayer (and hopefully ITV/4/five Players)
can be added?

I thank you for the time you spend on improving MythTV. This
functionality will force me to update to 0.22.

I hope you have time to post more videos / screenshots of any progress
you are making.

TIA

memmott at gmail

Dec 16, 2009, 12:30 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
> > Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
> > that you might enjoy. As most of you know, there have been many,
> > many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
> > past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
> > code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
> > With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
> > and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
> > Myth.

If this is as extensible, open and usable as it appears, MythNetvision +
the new Mythvideo would eliminate most of my need to use Boxee and XBMC.
Pretty f'ing cool.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Dec 21, 2009, 10:09 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/12/15 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
>> > Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
>> > that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
>> > many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
>> > past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
>> > code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
>> > With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
>> > and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
>> > Myth.
>>

> If this is as extensible, open and usable as it appears,  MythNetvision +
> the new Mythvideo would eliminate most of my need to use Boxee and XBMC.
> Pretty f'ing cool.

A little update on this week's work that might interest people, but
first, two new video to illustrate the point:

http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight.MNV.views.ogg
http://www.fecitfacta.com/Default.MNV.views.ogg

The things you will see here that might be interesting to you:

1) RSS video feed management from the tree. In addition to having
tree grabbers, you can also subscribe to video RSS feeds and use them
just as you might a tree view. Eventually I'll probably work out some
sort of autodownload mechanism. The download code will probably be
very rudimentary for the first release. You will be able to download
and play videos, but true recording-style integration will probably be
a goal for a later date.
2) "MythVideo Style" list, browse, and gallery views.
3) New Grabbers, and Doug has done a lot of work to improve the links
returned, such that Youtube, Vimeo, Blip.TV, MTV, and Dailymotion all
return full screen autoplay videos.
4) I've done a tiny bit of work to theme a default "fallback" for the
theme so that it can be used with any theme, although individual theme
authors will probably want to theme their own take on it.

We're still a ways from being able to release, mostly due to code
issues that I have to work out. Though obviously in my video I show
you what works, there's a fair amount that doesn't. File download is
very, very basic. There are still a fair number of major issues
mostly dealing with image downloading. There's some ugliness in the
tree building from having different data types associated with buttons
in the same tree (RSS sites, grabber scripts, and video objects).
It's stuff I've really got to work out because it would disappoint you
if I released it now. I still have to finish and verify the external
download and playback stuff works. Things are tentatively looking
good for a release by .23, but it's the holidays and anything can
happen.

Enjoy!

Robert

derliebegott at gmail

Dec 22, 2009, 1:23 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

2009/12/22 Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara [at] gmail>:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

>> If this is as extensible, open and usable as it appears,  MythNetvision +
>> the new Mythvideo would eliminate most of my need to use Boxee and XBMC.
>> Pretty f'ing cool.
>>

> A little update on this week's work that might interest people, but
> first, two new video to illustrate the point:
>
> http://www.fecitfacta.com/Arclight.MNV.views.ogg
> http://www.fecitfacta.com/Default.MNV.views.ogg
>
> The things you will see here that might be interesting to you:
>
> 1) RSS video feed management from the tree.  In addition to having
> tree grabbers, you can also subscribe to video RSS feeds and use them
> just as you might a tree view.  Eventually I'll probably work out some
> sort of autodownload mechanism.  The download code will probably be
> very rudimentary for the first release.  You will be able to download
> and play videos, but true recording-style integration will probably be
> a goal for a later date.
> 2) "MythVideo Style" list, browse, and gallery views.
> 3) New Grabbers, and Doug has done a lot of work to improve the links
> returned, such that Youtube, Vimeo, Blip.TV, MTV, and Dailymotion all
> return full screen autoplay videos.
> 4) I've done a tiny bit of work to theme a default "fallback" for the
> theme so that it can be used with any theme, although individual theme
> authors will probably want to theme their own take on it.
>
> We're still a ways from being able to release, mostly due to code
> issues that I have to work out.  Though obviously in my video I show
> you what works, there's a fair amount that doesn't.  File download is
> very, very basic.  There are still a fair number of major issues
> mostly dealing with image downloading.  There's some ugliness in the
> tree building from having different data types associated with buttons
> in the same tree (RSS sites, grabber scripts, and video objects).
> It's stuff I've really got to work out because it would disappoint you
> if I released it now.  I still have to finish and verify the external
> download and playback stuff works.  Things are tentatively looking
> good for a release by .23, but it's the holidays and anything can
> happen.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Robert

Wonderful job Robert. It is looking great.

nospam312 at gmail

Jan 2, 2010, 3:59 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> download and playback stuff works.  Things are tentatively looking
> good for a release by .23, but it's the holidays and anything can
> happen.

A message to say this is looking great. I hope you have time to post
more updates / videos of progress soon.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 2, 2010, 1:12 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:59 AM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> download and playback stuff works.  Things are tentatively looking
>> good for a release by .23, but it's the holidays and anything can
>> happen.
>
> A message to say this is looking great.  I hope you have time to post
> more updates / videos of progress soon.

Thanks, it's nice to get encouragement.

While it's not quite releaseable yet, things took a big step forward
this weekend with Doug and I each tracking down a major bug each that
had been holding both of us up. While it still have some extremely
rough edges, I'm actually able to call MythNetvision "usable" at this
point. We'll be spending the next few weeks ironing out kinks,
rounding off edges, and doing a lot of documentation on both the use
of the plugin and some comprehensive docs on writing a grabber script
so that we can get you guys involved in expanding the library of sites
supported.

If you would like, you can peruse:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision

I used images from the 4:3 default theme since I would rather people
see what they will get with the lion's share of the themes. Note that
Arclight will also be available by the time we get this out, so if you
would prefer the interface you have seen there, that option will be
available too.

Robert

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 8, 2010, 11:06 AM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

Those who have been following this thread may be interested to know
that Doug and I spent some time this week documenting the use of
MythNetvision, as well as our grabber script format so far. The
format is subject to minor change and not everything is totally
implemented, but it may still be of interest.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision_Grabber_Script_Format

For anyone interested in working on adding site/script support, please
see the second link. If someone implements a grabber (even one that
doesn't quite work yet) that adds support for a new site and contacts
me with a copy, I would be willing to share the current source
repository. Barring early-birds, we hope to have something out in the
next month or two.

Robert

nospam312 at gmail

Jan 8, 2010, 12:54 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> see the second link.  If someone implements a grabber (even one that
> doesn't quite work yet) that adds support for a new site and contacts
> me with a copy, I would be willing to share the current source
> repository.  Barring early-birds, we hope to have something out in the
> next month or two.

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to more updates over
the coming weeks seeing how this progresses - watching a new feature
get built is half the fun in my opinion. For me I hope someone with
the appropriate knowledge manages to get UK support (e.g. BBC iPlayer,
ITV Player etc) working. I have not upgraded to the 0.22 release yet
but if this makes it into the 0.23 release I will certainly be
upgrading.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 8, 2010, 1:13 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> see the second link.  If someone implements a grabber (even one that
>> doesn't quite work yet) that adds support for a new site and contacts
>> me with a copy, I would be willing to share the current source
>> repository.  Barring early-birds, we hope to have something out in the
>> next month or two.
>
> Thanks for the information.  I am looking forward to more updates over
> the coming weeks seeing how this progresses - watching a new feature
> get built is half the fun in my opinion.  For me I hope someone with
> the appropriate knowledge manages to get UK support (e.g. BBC iPlayer,
> ITV Player etc) working.  I have not upgraded to the 0.22 release yet
> but if this makes it into the 0.23 release I will certainly be
> upgrading.

I sort of anticipate it being an unofficial plugin, at least for .23.
I have spoken to the MythBuntu folks about getting it packaged for
their next release and that sounds promising. I just want to make
sure I have worked out most of the major kinks (and the first release
will be far from perfect) before I impose on the other Myth devs.

For what it is worth, I do have one person testing in the UK right
now, and the only things I know of as issues contentwise are:

a) Some MTV Music Videos are region locked
b) dailymotion aggregates some Hulu content and that is obviously unviewable

Youtube, blip.tv, Vimeo, most of Dailymotion, Joost, etc. should all
work great for UK users.

Robert

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 13, 2010, 2:19 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23123

May the games (and patches!) begin.

Robert

nospam312 at gmail

Jan 13, 2010, 2:25 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23123
> May the games (and patches!) begin.

This is great it looks like much time has been spent on it. I hope
this is a success and continues to be developed/improved.

robert.mcnamara at gmail

Jan 13, 2010, 2:43 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23123
>> May the games (and patches!) begin.
>
> This is great it looks like much time has been spent on it.  I hope
> this is a success and continues to be developed/improved.

Thanks. With any luck those running trunk will help me with some
patches to clean up the substantial amount of ugly that has crept in
over the past few months.

HUGE NOTE: If you are not code-inclined, but want to help, Please
check out the icons/directories folder in the source and consider
creating a consistent and attractive set of genre icons to replace the
ones there right now. iPhone-button style would be my preferred
approach, but use your imagination and help out!

Robert

jedi at mishnet

Jan 13, 2010, 3:45 PM

Re: New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 02:19:04PM -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23123
>
> May the games (and patches!) begin.

Can this run with the 0.22 release or do we have to rebuild and
re-install everything from scratch to use this?