Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


chris at westnet

Nov 29, 2009, 9:49 AM

Post #1 of 21 (2461 views)
Permalink
Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu

Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?

It is WAY to easy to hit extra keys and delete something you didn't want to.

As in, I just did.


==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 29, 2009, 10:30 AM

Post #2 of 21 (2415 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On 11/29/2009 12:49 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?
>
> It is WAY to easy to hit extra keys and delete something you didn't want to.
>
> As in, I just did.

Only by editing the code.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


chris at westnet

Nov 29, 2009, 5:31 PM

Post #3 of 21 (2408 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> > Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?

> Only by editing the code.

Shazbot.

Is the delete done by the backend or the frontend ? Maybe I can protect
myself with Unix permisisons.



I realize there is a move away from optoins, but is anyone else interested
in being able to remove the "Delete" option ?

==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


freedenizen at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 5:38 PM

Post #4 of 21 (2409 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Christopher X. Candreva
<chris [at] westnet> wrote:
> Is the delete done by the backend or the frontend ? Maybe I can protect
> myself with Unix permisisons.
>
>
>
> I realize there is a move away from optoins, but is anyone else interested
> in being able to remove the "Delete" option ?

If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
then I'm not sure what the issue is. If you delete something by
mistake then you can just go and undelete.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


chris at westnet

Nov 29, 2009, 5:56 PM

Post #5 of 21 (2411 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, freedenizen wrote:

> If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
> then I'm not sure what the issue is. If you delete something by
> mistake then you can just go and undelete.

Mostly because until I deleted my "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" dvd dip I
didn't know you COULD delete Videos .

Where does one set that up for Videos ?

==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


freedenizen at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 6:06 PM

Post #6 of 21 (2409 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Christopher X. Candreva
<chris [at] westnet> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, freedenizen wrote:
>
>> If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
>> then I'm not sure what the issue is.  If you delete something by
>> mistake then you can just go and undelete.
>
> Mostly because until I deleted my "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" dvd dip I
> didn't know you COULD delete Videos .
>
> Where does one set that up for Videos ?

Sorry I misread, I thought you were referring to recordings, not items
within mythvideo.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 29, 2009, 6:07 PM

Post #7 of 21 (2409 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On 11/29/2009 08:56 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, freedenizen wrote:
>
>> If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
>> then I'm not sure what the issue is. If you delete something by
>> mistake then you can just go and undelete.
>>
> Mostly because until I deleted my "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" dvd dip I
> didn't know you COULD delete Videos .
>
> Where does one set that up for Videos ?

The Deleted recording group doesn't apply to MythVideo videos.

After MythVideo is merged with MythTV, it will.

Until then, use file system permissions.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 6:32 PM

Post #8 of 21 (2402 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> On 11/29/2009 08:56 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, freedenizen wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
>>> then I'm not sure what the issue is.  If you delete something by
>>> mistake then you can just go and undelete.
>>>
>>
>> Mostly because until I deleted my "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" dvd dip I
>> didn't know you COULD delete Videos .
>>
>> Where does one set that up for Videos ?
>
> The Deleted recording group doesn't apply to MythVideo videos.
>
> After MythVideo is merged with MythTV, it will.
>
> Until then, use file system permissions.

Ironically being able to delete videos from within mythvideo was a
much requested feature befoore 0.22.

You can't please everyone!
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


aaron at rb303

Nov 29, 2009, 7:10 PM

Post #9 of 21 (2394 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

"Ironically being able to delete videos from within myth video was a
much requested feature before 0.22.

You can't please everyone!"

You can, let us decide if the "delete" option is in the menu. Add it in
Video Settings.

All my videos on mapped via a samba share, so I have it locked down on the
Windows side, but being able to remove the temptation to delete would be
much appreciated.



On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
> > On 11/29/2009 08:56 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, freedenizen wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>> If you have your system setup to just move items to the Deleted group,
> >>> then I'm not sure what the issue is. If you delete something by
> >>> mistake then you can just go and undelete.
> >>>
> >>
> >> Mostly because until I deleted my "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" dvd dip
> I
> >> didn't know you COULD delete Videos .
> >>
> >> Where does one set that up for Videos ?
> >
> > The Deleted recording group doesn't apply to MythVideo videos.
> >
> > After MythVideo is merged with MythTV, it will.
> >
> > Until then, use file system permissions.
>
> Ironically being able to delete videos from within mythvideo was a
> much requested feature befoore 0.22.
>
> You can't please everyone!
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


wilson.joe at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 7:15 PM

Post #10 of 21 (2401 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 09:49, Christopher X. Candreva <chris [at] westnet>wrote:

>
> Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?
>
> It is WAY to easy to hit extra keys and delete something you didn't want
> to.
>
> As in, I just did.
>
>
>
Don't feel too bad.. I did the same thing.. I was thinking it might be
removing the video from
MythVideo, and low and behold I removed it completely from my hard drive..
Seems like
something that should require a pin# to be entered for security reasons...
keep remote out
of the hands of children.. or back up regularly..


nick.rout at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #11 of 21 (2390 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM, <aaron [at] rb303> wrote:
> "Ironically being able to delete videos from within myth video was a
> much requested feature before 0.22.
>
> You can't please everyone!"
>
> You can, let us decide if the "delete" option is in the menu. Add it in
> Video Settings.
>
> All my videos on mapped via a samba share, so I have it locked down on the
> Windows side, but being able to remove the temptation to delete would be
> much appreciated.


There are also moves afoot to do away with as many "settings" as
possible to simplify things.

*sigh* so it will be hard to satisfy that aim as well as yours (by the
way I agree with you, it should be a setting. "Little people" * could
wreak havoc otherwise!)

* I don't mean leprechauns either!
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


stevehodge at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 7:41 PM

Post #12 of 21 (2407 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Joe Wilson <wilson.joe [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 09:49, Christopher X. Candreva <chris [at] westnet>wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?
>>
>> It is WAY to easy to hit extra keys and delete something you didn't want
>> to.
>>
>> As in, I just did.
>>
>
> Don't feel too bad.. I did the same thing.. I was thinking it might be
> removing the video from
> MythVideo, and low and behold I removed it completely from my hard drive..
>
>

My problem was that I couldn't tell which of the buttons on the confirmation
dialog was selected: two buttons, one with brown text, one with white. I got
the 50/50 call on which one was selected wrong :-(

Seems like
> something that should require a pin# to be entered for security reasons...
> keep remote out
> of the hands of children.. or back up regularly..
>

Can't you just set the files to read-only in the filesystem? That way you
can control which videos are deletable and which aren't. I'll probably
never delete videos from MythTV, but if I did I'd find having to enter a pin
for each one very annoying, and inconsistent since the it's not required for
TV shows.

Cheers,
Steve


chris at westnet

Nov 29, 2009, 7:45 PM

Post #13 of 21 (2398 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Steve Hodge wrote:

> Can't you just set the files to read-only in the filesystem? That way you

Which is why I asked if it's the front-end or backend that does the
removing. If it's the front-end I can also just mount it read-only.


==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


stevehodge at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 7:50 PM

Post #14 of 21 (2402 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Christopher X. Candreva
<chris [at] westnet>wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> > Can't you just set the files to read-only in the filesystem? That way you
>
> Which is why I asked if it's the front-end or backend that does the
> removing. If it's the front-end I can also just mount it read-only.
>
> I think that depends on whether you're using storage groups for videos. If
you are then the backend would do the deleting, if you're not then it's the
frontend. Should be easy to test anyway.

Cheers,
Steve


wilson.joe at gmail

Nov 29, 2009, 9:37 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2390 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 19:16, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>
> *sigh* so it will be hard to satisfy that aim as well as yours (by the
> way I agree with you, it should be a setting. "Little people" * could
> wreak havoc otherwise!)
>
> * I don't mean leprechauns either!
>
>
hey I like leprechauns.. but they always seem to get into my candy stash..
:D


seven at seven

Nov 30, 2009, 12:27 AM

Post #16 of 21 (2372 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

>
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> > Is there a way to remove the Delete option from the I menu of Videos ?
>
>> Only by editing the code.

I seem to remember this being an option in 0.21, was that option removed?

or was this only in the now defunct video manager? I dont know I never
enabled it....

Cheers,

Anthony


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


johnnyjboss at gmail

Nov 30, 2009, 6:49 AM

Post #17 of 21 (2362 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Joe Wilson <wilson.joe [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 19:16, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> *sigh* so it will be hard to satisfy that aim as well as yours (by the
>> way I agree with you, it should be a setting. "Little people" * could
>> wreak havoc otherwise!)
>>
>> * I don't mean leprechauns either!
>>
>
> hey I like leprechauns.. but they always seem to get into my candy stash..
> :D

...and me lucky charms.

(sorry)




>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Nov 30, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #18 of 21 (2330 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Joe Wilson <wilson.joe [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 19:16, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> *sigh* so it will be hard to satisfy that aim as well as yours (by the
>> way I agree with you, it should be a setting. "Little people" * could
>> wreak havoc otherwise!)
>>
>> * I don't mean leprechauns either!
>>
>
> hey I like leprechauns.. but they always seem to get into my candy stash..
> :D

I am sure leprechauns have their own method of deleting computer files
if you annoy them enough. Children on the other hand are just
random...
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


chris at westnet

Nov 30, 2009, 1:56 PM

Post #19 of 21 (2338 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

OK, so given others have problems with their leprechauns, munchkins, and
what-not, I'll make a feature request of making Delete optional

Now, what is the difference between the requests added to the Frontend
section of http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist

and the ones on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Frontend_Addons)



==========================================================
Chris Candreva -- chris [at] westnet -- (914) 948-3162
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 30, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #20 of 21 (2337 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

On 11/30/2009 04:56 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> OK, so given others have problems with their leprechauns, munchkins, and
> what-not, I'll make a feature request of making Delete optional
>
> Now, what is the difference between the requests added to the Frontend
> section of http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist
>
> and the ones on
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Frontend_Addons)

Both are for MythTV, not plugins. See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist#Plugins , which directs you
to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Plugin_Addons) , where
you'll find
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Plugin_Addons)#MythVideo
(which is what you want).

To answer your question, though,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Frontend_Addons) is all
mythfrontend-specific stuff that was cluttering up
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist .

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


seven at seven

Dec 2, 2009, 4:02 AM

Post #21 of 21 (2243 views)
Permalink
Re: Remove 'Delete' from Videos 'I' menu [In reply to]

I was playing around with this tonight and I noticed my delete option in
mythvideos only deleted the item from the database not the disk....

I only found this out as I was trying to troubleshoot issues with same
video that had been assigned metadata (with jamu) not being able to be
played, I found deleting from mythvideo (which only deletes it from the
database) and then rescaning in mythweb seem to fix the issue, but I'm
unsure why this is happening, but this is OT but I post about this
seperately.

Cheers,

Anthony



_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.