Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Stuttering audio with DTS passthrough in 0.22-fixes

kevin at familyross

Nov 28, 2009, 1:47 PM

Stuttering audio with DTS passthrough in 0.22-fixes

Hello everyone,

I have always used mplayer as my preferred media player in MythTV, but I
thought I would try out the internal player. It integrates nicely with
MythTV for a consistent look and feel, but I have problems on BluRay
rips with DTS tracks. I have DTS passthrough enabled (as well as AC3
passthrough), which works fine with mplayer, but with the internal
player I get stuttering audio. Movies with AC3 tracks play fine with
AC3 passthrough.

Here's a 20-second test clip in case someone wants to try it:
http://download.statuspro.tv/test-001.mkv

I get identical results with VDPAU and CPU+ profiles. BTW, I had to
increase the VDPAU buffer size to 23 to be able to play all my movies
(with DTS passthrough disabled).

Anyone else having this problem?

My hardware:

ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500021>
Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver

My software:
Debian Squeeze
mythfrontend version: branches/release-0-22-fixes [22860M] www.mythtv.org
2.6.30.9 kernel built with LIRC patches for HD-PVR IR blasting/receiving

Thanks!
-- Kevin

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Dec 20, 2009, 8:49 AM

Re: Stuttering audio with DTS passthrough in 0.22-fixes [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin [at] familyross> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have always used mplayer as my preferred media player in MythTV, but I
> thought I would try out the internal player.  It integrates nicely with
> MythTV for a consistent look and feel, but I have problems on BluRay rips
> with DTS tracks.  I have DTS passthrough enabled (as well as AC3
> passthrough), which works fine with mplayer, but with the internal player I
> get stuttering audio.  Movies with AC3 tracks play fine with AC3
> passthrough.
>
> Here's a 20-second test clip in case someone wants to try it:
>  http://download.statuspro.tv/test-001.mkv
>
> I get identical results with VDPAU and CPU+ profiles.  BTW, I had to
> increase the VDPAU buffer size to 23 to be able to play all my movies (with
> DTS passthrough disabled).
>
> Anyone else having this problem?
>
> My hardware:
>
> ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500021>
> Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver
>
> My software:
> Debian Squeeze
> mythfrontend version: branches/release-0-22-fixes [22860M] www.mythtv.org
> 2.6.30.9 kernel built with LIRC patches for HD-PVR IR blasting/receiving

I'm having this same problem. It's reminiscent of the DTS stutter
issue that was eventually fixed through an ffmpeg sync iirc. So I
don't know why it's happening again, but it would be nice to hear if
others are having the issue too.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Dec 20, 2009, 8:57 AM

Re: Stuttering audio with DTS passthrough in 0.22-fixes [In reply to]

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin [at] familyross> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have always used mplayer as my preferred media player in MythTV, but I
>> thought I would try out the internal player.  It integrates nicely with
>> MythTV for a consistent look and feel, but I have problems on BluRay rips
>> with DTS tracks.  I have DTS passthrough enabled (as well as AC3
>> passthrough), which works fine with mplayer, but with the internal player I
>> get stuttering audio.  Movies with AC3 tracks play fine with AC3
>> passthrough.
>>
>> Here's a 20-second test clip in case someone wants to try it:
>>  http://download.statuspro.tv/test-001.mkv
>>
>> I get identical results with VDPAU and CPU+ profiles.  BTW, I had to
>> increase the VDPAU buffer size to 23 to be able to play all my movies (with
>> DTS passthrough disabled).
>>
>> Anyone else having this problem?
>>
>> My hardware:
>>
>> ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
>> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500021>
>> Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver
>>
>> My software:
>> Debian Squeeze
>> mythfrontend version: branches/release-0-22-fixes [22860M] www.mythtv.org
>> 2.6.30.9 kernel built with LIRC patches for HD-PVR IR blasting/receiving
>
> I'm having this same problem. It's reminiscent of the DTS stutter
> issue that was eventually fixed through an ffmpeg sync iirc. So I
> don't know why it's happening again, but it would be nice to hear if
> others are having the issue too.

turn off DTS passthrough and see what happens. On my machine it still
passed the 5.1 stream anyway but without the skipping.