Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more)

philip at yhbt

Nov 20, 2009, 8:30 PM

Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more)

Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet>
> If you boot the live image, and the hdpvr is connected and powered on, its driver should
> auto-load, but you'll still have to manually modprobe lirc_zilog. After you do that, take
> a look at dmesg to see if lirc_zilog claims to have found anything.

Jarod,

I will try to get confirmation of this working under the Fedora 12
Live CD as well (away from hdpvr box right now).

I do have a question if you have a moment though. I built the kernel
in your lirc git tree[1] thinking that it might get the HDPVR IR
working. I enabled all of the LIRC modules in make menuconfig
including LIRC_ZILOG and after rebooting into the built kernel and
modprobing lirc_zilog it didn't detect my IRC receiver (HDPVR was
plugged in and turned on).

Is there anything else you can think of that would cause it not to work?

Thanks for all of your efforts working on this, the community really
appreciates it.

(Sorry for the repost as well. I just subscribed and therefore can't
reply to previous messages and mythtv-users isn't on GMane apparantly)

[1] http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/
Pretty sure I built the tree as of this commit 5 days ago:
http://git.wilsonet.com//linux-2.6-lirc.git?a=commit;h=e8d67cccaf13ae587c258951e538f1abc87d3c97

--
Philip Lowman

jarod at wilsonet

Nov 20, 2009, 9:38 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 20, 2009, at 11:30 PM, Philip Lowman wrote:

> Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet>
>> If you boot the live image, and the hdpvr is connected and powered on, its driver should
>> auto-load, but you'll still have to manually modprobe lirc_zilog. After you do that, take
>> a look at dmesg to see if lirc_zilog claims to have found anything.
>
> Jarod,
>
> I will try to get confirmation of this working under the Fedora 12
> Live CD as well (away from hdpvr box right now).
>
> I do have a question if you have a moment though. I built the kernel
> in your lirc git tree[1] thinking that it might get the HDPVR IR
> working. I enabled all of the LIRC modules in make menuconfig
> including LIRC_ZILOG and after rebooting into the built kernel and
> modprobing lirc_zilog it didn't detect my IRC receiver (HDPVR was
> plugged in and turned on).
>
> Is there anything else you can think of that would cause it not to work?

My lirc git tree is upstream linus + lirc. It doesn't have the not-even-in-v4l-dvb-hg-tip hdpvr IR part patches in it. You need those from elsewhere.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

danielk at cuymedia

Nov 21, 2009, 3:31 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 00:38 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> My lirc git tree is upstream linus + lirc. It doesn't have the not-even-in-v4l-dvb-hg-tip hdpvr IR part patches in it. You need those from elsewhere.

Jarod, is there a guide somewhere to getting this working starting with
a generic kernel.org kernel? I did some hacking with the zilog a long
time ago and found I needed to add the hdpvr to a table for it to be
detected by lirc_zilog, but while it did send the requested IR the
driver was reporting that it failed so LIRC reported failure. This was
starting with Janne's git and using Linux 2.6.28, now that the hdpvr
is in the kernel proper I'd like to set things up starting with 2.6.31.6
and adding only necessary patches.

My USB-UIRT devices don't work with any recent kernels due to breakages
in ftdi_sio, and the vendor doesn't appear interested in maintaining
the Linux side of his business. So my interest in getting this working
has increased again. My other option is lirc_serial, but that driver is
freezes up the machine during IR transmissions.

-- Daniel

f-myth-users at media

Nov 21, 2009, 6:51 PM

Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:31:28 -0500
> From: Daniel Kristjansson <danielk [at] cuymedia>

> My USB-UIRT devices don't work with any recent kernels due to breakages
> in ftdi_sio, and the vendor doesn't appear interested in maintaining
> the Linux side of his business.

Do you know which kernel broke this, even approximately? I have a
years-old USB-UIRT (that I actually don't use) on a years-old machine
but was imminently about to put on a brand-new release and use it to
control some hardware---but if putting a modern OS on the machine
I intend to plug the USB-UIRT breaks it, maybe I'll do something else.
(Including possibly using the USB-UIRT but not upgrading the machine.)

Thanks!

f-myth-users at media

Nov 21, 2009, 7:43 PM

Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

Some quick research on this leaves me unsure about whether the
USB-UIRT might work with a patch or two, but maybe it would help you?
Most of them were from seaching for ``usb-uirt ftdi_sio'' so I assume
you've seen 'em, but just in case:

http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5853&sid=146bb241fd5e058340752d0e590ca067
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lirc_USB-UIRT
http://blog.rockycreekexperiment.com/2009/02/usb-uirt.html
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

There was also discussion of the Iguanaworks USB IR transceiver;
again, it's not immediately clear whether it's working in current
kernels, but at least its homepage seems very Linux-friendly.
Might this be an idea, either for you or for me? :)

jarod at wilsonet

Nov 21, 2009, 7:47 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 21, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 00:38 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> My lirc git tree is upstream linus + lirc. It doesn't have the not-even-in-v4l-dvb-hg-tip hdpvr IR part patches in it. You need those from elsewhere.
>
> Jarod, is there a guide somewhere to getting this working starting with
> a generic kernel.org kernel?

Just tack these onto a kernel.org 2.6.31.x and that should be it:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch?view=markup
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/lirc-2.6.31.patch?view=markup

You can also grab slightly newer (though in no way relevant to the HDPVR) lirc bits from my git tree.

> I did some hacking with the zilog a long
> time ago and found I needed to add the hdpvr to a table for it to be
> detected by lirc_zilog, but while it did send the requested IR the
> driver was reporting that it failed so LIRC reported failure. This was
> starting with Janne's git and using Linux 2.6.28, now that the hdpvr
> is in the kernel proper I'd like to set things up starting with 2.6.31.6
> and adding only necessary patches.

Yep, I recall seeing the same lirc behavior -- codes transmitted, but lirc still thought things had failed. Don't recall exactly if the fix was in lirc_zilog or the hdpvr driver, but I do recall that I did fix that. :)

> My USB-UIRT devices don't work with any recent kernels due to breakages
> in ftdi_sio, and the vendor doesn't appear interested in maintaining
> the Linux side of his business. So my interest in getting this working
> has increased again. My other option is lirc_serial, but that driver is
> freezes up the machine during IR transmissions.

USB-UIRT... Is that an lirc userspace driver that is busted? That's one of the few IR things I've not had the chance to play with...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

danielk at cuymedia

Nov 21, 2009, 8:32 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 22:47 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > Jarod, is there a guide somewhere to getting this working starting with
> > a generic kernel.org kernel?
> Just tack these onto a kernel.org 2.6.31.x and that should be it:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch?view=markup
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/lirc-2.6.31.patch?view=markup

Cool, I'll give that a try.

> > My USB-UIRT devices don't work with any recent kernels due to breakages
>
> USB-UIRT... Is that an lirc userspace driver that is busted? That's one of
> the few IR things I've not had the chance to play with...

Yes, entirely user space as far as LIRC is concerned. usb_uirt_raw is
the LIRC "driver". It functions as a blinkenlight with 2.6.31.6, but
that is it. I have a couple of em. I can drop one in the @-mail for
ya if you like, just drop me a note off-list with your address. It is
one of the few IR blasters that does 56kKHz, or I would have abandoned
it long ago.

-- Daniel

david at istwok

Nov 21, 2009, 9:25 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:32:09PM -0500, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 22:47 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Just tack these onto a kernel.org 2.6.31.x and that should be it:
> > http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch?view=markup
> > http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/lirc-2.6.31.patch?view=markup
>
> Cool, I'll give that a try.

That's what I've done since 2.6.31.3. If you run multiple HD-PVRs and
want to setup udev rules for them, you'll also need another minor
patch. If you'd like the complete patch I'm using, let me know.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

jarod at wilsonet

Nov 21, 2009, 9:29 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 22, 2009, at 12:25 AM, David Engel wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:32:09PM -0500, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 22:47 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> Just tack these onto a kernel.org 2.6.31.x and that should be it:
>>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch?view=markup
>>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/lirc-2.6.31.patch?view=markup
>>
>> Cool, I'll give that a try.
>
> That's what I've done since 2.6.31.3. If you run multiple HD-PVRs and
> want to setup udev rules for them, you'll also need another minor
> patch. If you'd like the complete patch I'm using, let me know.

Ah, crud, I'd forgot about that...

http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/?a=commitdiff;h=c1a0870f6c9b63313d8d9eb7418863c97446103b

I should really refresh the Fedora lirc patches to include that. Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc required) mode...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

david at istwok

Nov 22, 2009, 7:38 AM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:29:01AM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc
> required) mode...

I use imon lirc on my main frontend. Please tell me more.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

jarod at wilsonet

Nov 23, 2009, 6:17 AM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 22, 2009, at 10:38 AM, David Engel wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:29:01AM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc
>> required) mode...
>
> I use imon lirc on my main frontend. Please tell me more.

The lirc_imon driver in my git tree can drive an imon device that does onboard decoding (0x15c2:0xffdc and 0x15c2:0x0034-0046 devices) as a pure input layer device, with all keys mapped to input subsystem keys, as defined in include/linux/input.h in the linux kernel source. So you hit the volume keys, and instead of being handled by lirc, you see a KEY_VOLUMEUP, KEY_VOLUMEDOWN or KEY_MUTE event arrive in the system -- just like these were keys on a multimedia keyboard or laptop keyboard.

Note however that this does not mean you can't use lirc anymore, if that's still preferred. You can either pass a modparam to the driver to run as it always has, or you can use the devinput userspace lirc driver.

I need to get back to some input layer key capture stuff within MythTV itself to make it more feasible to use the remote with MythTV in pure input mode w/o lirc involved at all, but we're not quite there yet...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

johnnyjboss at gmail

Nov 23, 2009, 9:12 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 23, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod [at] wilsonet> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2009, at 10:38 AM, David Engel wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:29:01AM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc
>>> required) mode...
>>
>> I use imon lirc on my main frontend. Please tell me more.
>
> The lirc_imon driver in my git tree can drive an imon device that
> does onboard decoding (0x15c2:0xffdc and 0x15c2:0x0034-0046 devices)
> as a pure input layer device, with all keys mapped to input
> subsystem keys, as defined in include/linux/input.h in the linux
> kernel source. So you hit the volume keys, and instead of being
> handled by lirc, you see a KEY_VOLUMEUP, KEY_VOLUMEDOWN or KEY_MUTE
> event arrive in the system -- just like these were keys on a
> multimedia keyboard or laptop keyboard.
>
> Note however that this does not mean you can't use lirc anymore, if
> that's still preferred. You can either pass a modparam to the driver
> to run as it always has, or you can use the devinput userspace lirc
> driver.
>
> I need to get back to some input layer key capture stuff within
> MythTV itself to make it more feasible to use the remote with MythTV
> in pure input mode w/o lirc involved at all, but we're not quite
> there yet...
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod [at] wilsonet

Very nice Jarod.

danielk at cuymedia

Nov 24, 2009, 12:19 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 00:29 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2009, at 12:25 AM, David Engel wrote:

> >> Cool, I'll give that a try.
> >
> > That's what I've done since 2.6.31.3. If you run multiple HD-PVRs and
> > want to setup udev rules for them, you'll also need another minor
> > patch. If you'd like the complete patch I'm using, let me know.
>
> Ah, crud, I'd forgot about that...
>
> http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/?a=commitdiff;h=c1a0870f6c9b63313d8d9eb7418863c97446103b
>
> I should really refresh the Fedora lirc patches to include that. Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc required) mode...

Does this mean anything to you? FYI This is a 32-bit kernel if that
hasn't been tested yet and the here is the md5sum of the firmware:
1c117d591bbcb733690e1b7b36202490 /lib/firmware/haup-ir-blaster.bin

-- Daniel

[ 238.523429] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major
251
[ 238.524793] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver
initializing
[ 238.531601] lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and
TX
[ 238.531654] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate:
0
[ 238.531729] Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 0-0071: firmware: requesting
haup-ir-blaster.bin
[ 238.753223] lirc_zilog: i2c_master_send failed with
-5
[ 238.753361] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
00000028
[ 238.753368] IP: [<f80a09f4>] lirc_unregister_driver+0x24/0x160
[lirc_dev]
[ 238.753381] *pde =
00000000
[ 238.753385] Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT
SMP
[ 238.753392] last sysfs
file: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-3/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0071/firmware/0-0071/loading
[ 238.753399] Modules linked in: lirc_zilog(+) lirc_dev nvidia(P)
binfmt_misc ppdev bridge stp bnep video output nfsd exportfs nfs lockd
nfs_acl auth_rpcgss sunrpc lgdt330x lp parport cx88_dvb cx88_vp3054_i2c
videobuf_dvb dvb_core tuner_simple tuner_types snd_hda_codec_realtek
tda9887 tda8290 snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss
tuner snd_pcm snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi snd_rawmidi
snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_timer snd_seq_device cx8802 cx88xx
ir_common i2c_algo_bit snd soundcore tveeprom btcx_risc ftdi_sio psmouse
snd_page_alloc videobuf_dma_sg videobuf_core intel_agp iTCO_wdt
iTCO_vendor_support serio_raw agpgart dcdbas joydev usbserial hdpvr
v4l2_common videodev v4l1_compat hid_gyration usbhid e1000e [last
unloaded:
nvidia]
[
238.753507]
[ 238.753513] Pid: 5498, comm: modprobe Tainted: P (2.6.31.6
#2) Inspiron 530
[ 238.753518] EIP: 0060:[<f80a09f4>] EFLAGS: 00010286 CPU:
1
[ 238.753526] EIP is at lirc_unregister_driver+0x24/0x160
[lirc_dev]
[ 238.753531] EAX: f80a2f60 EBX: 00000000 ECX: c28252d8 EDX:
d4b2e000
[ 238.753535] ESI: 00000000 EDI: d4b2fdb8 EBP: d4b2fda4 ESP:
d4b2fd90
[ 238.753539] DS: 007b ES: 007b FS: 00d8 GS: 0033 SS:
0068
[ 238.753545] Process modprobe (pid: 5498, ti=d4b2e000 task=d4904b60
task.ti=d4b2e000)
[ 238.753548]
Stack:
[ 238.753551] f80b21f5 c0720468 d4b06400 d4b06400 d4b06460 d4b2fde4
f80b2205 27a268b5
[ 238.753563] <0> f9f0dd13 d4b06400 00000000 00000000 d4b2fdc0 d4b2fdc0
00000000 00000000
[ 238.753576] <0> d4b2fdd0 d4b2fdd0 fffffffb d4b06400 d4b06400 d4b2fe58
f80b3712 f80b3b60
[ 238.753590] Call
Trace:
[ 238.753599] [<f80b21f5>] ? ir_remove+0x95/0x150
[lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753607] [<f80b2205>] ? ir_remove+0xa5/0x150
[lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753619] [<f80b3712>] ? ir_probe+0x502/0x950
[lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753627] [<f80b3b60>] ? lirc_thread+0x0/0x3b4
[lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753639] [<c023e4c7>] ? sysfs_do_create_link
+0x97/0x130
[ 238.753647] [<c0437a9c>] ? i2c_device_probe
+0x8c/0xc0
[ 238.753654] [<f80b3210>] ? ir_probe+0x0/0x950
[lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753662] [<c039e3e9>] ? driver_probe_device
+0x69/0x170
[ 238.753669] [<c056d42b>] ? _spin_unlock_irqrestore
+0x2b/0x50
[ 238.753676] [<c039e571>] ? __driver_attach
+0x81/0x90
[ 238.753683] [<c039dc9b>] ? bus_for_each_dev+0x5b/0x80
[ 238.753689] [<c0437770>] ? i2c_device_remove+0x0/0x50
[ 238.753696] [<c039e299>] ? driver_attach+0x19/0x20
[ 238.753701] [<c039e4f0>] ? __driver_attach+0x0/0x90
[ 238.753708] [<c039d64f>] ? bus_add_driver+0x22f/0x2e0
[ 238.753714] [<c0437770>] ? i2c_device_remove+0x0/0x50
[ 238.753720] [<c039e7f5>] ? driver_register+0x75/0x160
[ 238.753726] [<c043887a>] ? i2c_register_driver+0x2a/0x90
[ 238.753734] [<f80b8000>] ? zilog_init+0x0/0x72 [lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753741] [<f80b804a>] ? zilog_init+0x4a/0x72 [lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753748] [<f80b8000>] ? zilog_init+0x0/0x72 [lirc_zilog]
[ 238.753755] [<c0101123>] ? do_one_initcall+0x23/0x180
[ 238.753762] [<c015da5a>] ? blocking_notifier_call_chain+0x1a/0x20
[ 238.753769] [<c0170c51>] ? sys_init_module+0xb1/0x1f0
[ 238.753775] [<c0102f8c>] ? sysenter_do_call+0x12/0x28
[ 238.753779] Code: 8d bc 27 00 00 00 00 55 89 e5 56 53 89 c3 83 ec 0c
83 f8 03 0f 87 d3 00 00 00 8b 34 85 64 31 0a f8 b8 60 2f 0a f8 e8 8c b0
4c c8 <39> 5e 28 0f 85 d8 00 00 00 8b 86 84 00 00 00 85 c0 74 05 e884
[ 238.753852] EIP: [<f80a09f4>] lirc_unregister_driver+0x24/0x160
[lirc_dev] SS:ESP 0068:d4b2fd90
[ 238.753863] CR2: 0000000000000028
[ 238.753868] ---[ end trace 76a6f0d77c180f0b ]---

jarod at wilsonet

Nov 24, 2009, 2:23 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 00:29 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> That's what I've done since 2.6.31.3. If you run multiple HD-PVRs and
>>> want to setup udev rules for them, you'll also need another minor
>>> patch. If you'd like the complete patch I'm using, let me know.
>>
>> Ah, crud, I'd forgot about that...
>>
>> http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-lirc.git/?a=commitdiff;h=c1a0870f6c9b63313d8d9eb7418863c97446103b
>>
>> I should really refresh the Fedora lirc patches to include that. Not to mention the bits to use imon devices in pure input (no lirc required) mode...
>
> Does this mean anything to you? FYI This is a 32-bit kernel if that
> hasn't been tested yet and the here is the md5sum of the firmware:
> 1c117d591bbcb733690e1b7b36202490 /lib/firmware/haup-ir-blaster.bin

Not sure if I've tried a 32-bit kernel, but I don't know of any reason why 32-bit vs. 64-bit should matter... The trace seems vaguely familiar, but its been a while. I don't recall seeing an i2c_master_send failing with a -5 (-EIO) though.

The driver is littered with a few places where we check for errors from i2c_master_send(), would need to know which call site it is that's failing. From the sequence there, its gotta be either the one in send_data_block() or one of the ones in send_boot_data(). If you can figure out which one is failing, that might shed some light on the matter.

Also, what incarnation of lirc_zilog.c are you using? Could be there's a fix missing that's in the git tree, or a regression added to the git tree, depending on which one you're using... :) I really need to dust off my own hdpvr and poke at it some, I think...

> [ 238.523429] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 251
> [ 238.524793] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> [ 238.531601] lirc_zilog: chip found with RX and TX
> [ 238.531654] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
> [ 238.531729] Zilog/Hauppauge i2c IR 0-0071: firmware: requesting haup-ir-blaster.bin
> [ 238.753223] lirc_zilog: i2c_master_send failed with -5
> [ 238.753361] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000028
> [ 238.753368] IP: [<f80a09f4>] lirc_unregister_driver+0x24/0x160 [lirc_dev]
> [ 238.753381] *pde = 00000000
> [ 238.753385] Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> [ 238.753392] last sysfs file: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-3/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0071/firmware/0-0071/loading
> [ 238.753513] Pid: 5498, comm: modprobe Tainted: P (2.6.31.6 #2) Inspiron 530
> [ 238.753518] EIP: 0060:[<f80a09f4>] EFLAGS: 00010286 CPU: 1
> [ 238.753526] EIP is at lirc_unregister_driver+0x24/0x160 [lirc_dev]
> [ 238.753531] EAX: f80a2f60 EBX: 00000000 ECX: c28252d8 EDX: d4b2e000
> [ 238.753535] ESI: 00000000 EDI: d4b2fdb8 EBP: d4b2fda4 ESP: d4b2fd90
> [ 238.753539] DS: 007b ES: 007b FS: 00d8 GS: 0033 SS: 0068
> [ 238.753545] Process modprobe (pid: 5498, ti=d4b2e000 task=d4904b60 task.ti=d4b2e000)
> [ 238.753548]
> Stack:
> [ 238.753551] f80b21f5 c0720468 d4b06400 d4b06400 d4b06460 d4b2fde4 f80b2205 27a268b5
> [ 238.753563] <0> f9f0dd13 d4b06400 00000000 00000000 d4b2fdc0 d4b2fdc0 00000000 00000000
> [ 238.753576] <0> d4b2fdd0 d4b2fdd0 fffffffb d4b06400 d4b06400 d4b2fe58 f80b3712 f80b3b60
> [ 238.753590] Call Trace:
> [ 238.753599] [<f80b21f5>] ? ir_remove+0x95/0x150 [lirc_zilog]
> [ 238.753607] [<f80b2205>] ? ir_remove+0xa5/0x150 [lirc_zilog]
> [ 238.753619] [<f80b3712>] ? ir_probe+0x502/0x950 [lirc_zilog]
> [ 238.753627] [<f80b3b60>] ? lirc_thread+0x0/0x3b4 [lirc_zilog]
> [ 238.753639] [<c023e4c7>] ? sysfs_do_create_link +0x97/0x130
> [ 238.753647] [<c0437a9c>] ? i2c_device_probe +0x8c/0xc0
> [ 238.753654] [<f80b3210>] ? ir_probe+0x0/0x950 [lirc_zilog]
> [ 238.753662] [<c039e3e9>] ? driver_probe_device +0x69/0x170
> [ 238.753669] [<c056d42b>] ? _spin_unlock_irqrestore +0x2b/0x50
> [ 238.753676] [<c039e571>] ? __driver_attach +0x81/0x90

Jarod Wilson
jarod [at] wilsonet

david at istwok

Nov 24, 2009, 2:47 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:23:59PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > Does this mean anything to you? FYI This is a 32-bit kernel if that
> > hasn't been tested yet and the here is the md5sum of the firmware:
> > 1c117d591bbcb733690e1b7b36202490 /lib/firmware/haup-ir-blaster.bin
>
> Not sure if I've tried a 32-bit kernel, but I don't know of any
> reason why 32-bit vs. 64-bit should matter... The trace seems
> vaguely familiar, but its been a while. I don't recall seeing an
> i2c_master_send failing with a -5 (-EIO) though.

There's something familiar about it to me also. Daniel, check the
permissions on your firmware file. I doubt that's it, but that's the
only thing that's coming to mind. BTW, I'm using 32-bit without this
problem so that's not it.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

danielk at cuymedia

Nov 24, 2009, 8:03 PM

Re: Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more) [In reply to]

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:47 -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:23:59PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > > Does this mean anything to you? FYI This is a 32-bit kernel if that
> > > hasn't been tested yet and the here is the md5sum of the firmware:
> > > 1c117d591bbcb733690e1b7b36202490 /lib/firmware/haup-ir-blaster.bin
> >
> > Not sure if I've tried a 32-bit kernel, but I don't know of any
> > reason why 32-bit vs. 64-bit should matter... The trace seems
> > vaguely familiar, but its been a while. I don't recall seeing an
> > i2c_master_send failing with a -5 (-EIO) though.
>
> There's something familiar about it to me also. Daniel, check the
> permissions on your firmware file. I doubt that's it, but that's the
> only thing that's coming to mind. BTW, I'm using 32-bit without this
> problem so that's not it.

I think it may be the overheat issue. I had two HD-PVRs plugged in,
but the older one has been giving me trouble so I wasn't using it.
When I unplugged its USB cable the problem went away. The IR is not
as powerful the USB-UIRT driven dongles and Zilog doesn't have as
many of the DishNet remotes & remote keys in their DB as LIRC does,
but with some careful alignment and a bit of electrical tape it
appears to be working well enough for my channel change script.

For anyone following along, I'm using all three patches that Jarod
posted with the kernel.org 2.6.31.6 kernel. This is in a i386 Kubuntu
9.04 system using the 'pvr-150' from dpkg reconfigure + the zilog
raw code conf (with 1_142 extracted and the elements renamed to match
the ones in /usr/share/lirc/transmitters/dish/general.conf.) FYI for
anyone using any zilog firmware blaster, that general.conf will never
work, the Z80 firmware used is incapable of doing generic IR out, at
least with any drivers I know of, it has all the IR codes it can ever
send built right into the firmware and you need to pick one. I just
wrote a little shell script that iterated through the 1_XXX_KEY_0 codes
until it found some that worked. Oh, also LIRC was not enabled after
applying Jarod's patches and I enabled those settings before compiling,
I don't recall needing to change any other settings.

-- Daniel