Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI

finlay at moeraki

Oct 6, 2009, 2:11 PM

Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI

I installed mythbuntu 9.10 beta to check out the new mythtv and I was
surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when changing
screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating that the theme
rescaling was slow the first time a screen was accessed but that it was
cached and subsequent accesses were much faster. That has not been my
experience. I see that the cache is filled but it still takes 5-10s to
access a previously accessed screen. What can I do to make the UI more
responsive?

John

mythtv at vbref

Oct 6, 2009, 2:37 PM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

John Finlay <finlay [at] moeraki> writes:

> I installed mythbuntu 9.10 beta to check out the new mythtv and I was
> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when
> changing screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating
> that the theme rescaling was slow the first time a screen was accessed
> but that it was cached and subsequent accesses were much faster. That
> has not been my experience. I see that the cache is filled but it
> still takes 5-10s to access a previously accessed screen. What can I
> do to make the UI more responsive?

I've seen that in the past when I did a vanilla install and hadn't yet
installed the nvidia drivers for my nvidia video card.

It was AMAZING at how slow the UI was to change screens.

Caveat: I haven't tried mythbuntu 9.10 beta. My experience was on
older Myth's.

nospam312 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 2:43 PM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when changing
> screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating that the theme

Yes I have the same problem (previously posted on this).

Once the screen is loaded moving between the options seems ok but
going into a new menu is painfully slow. I have NVIDIA drivers
installed etc. It was slow enough that I have given up testing. I
will stick with my current install of Mythbuntu 8.10 which does the
job albeit without the new MythTV.

The main thing I was hoping to be fixed hasn't been even though there
is a patch waiting to be applied (myth not playing last 4 seconds of
video). If it is applied/fixed I may investigate further but
unfortunately it is way to slow due to the menu slowness to be used
without going insane at the moment.

If it isn't Myth causing the problem and a simple fix to Mythbuntu is
posted I may give it another try as I do remember getting a hang/crash
when selecting a menu option from LiveTV (may have been fixed going
off the commits list anyway).

greg12866 at nycap

Oct 6, 2009, 3:19 PM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

John Finlay wrote:
> I installed mythbuntu 9.10 beta to check out the new mythtv and I was
> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when
> changing screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating
> that the theme rescaling was slow the first time a screen was accessed
> but that it was cached and subsequent accesses were much faster. That
> has not been my experience. I see that the cache is filled but it
> still takes 5-10s to access a previously accessed screen. What can I
> do to make the UI more responsive?
>
> John

You should have openGL installed and use it as your painter.. I have
used MythTV trunk for months and don't exhibit any slow downs in the
UI...Make sure you have the proper video driver installed... You are
using a beta version of an OS also, which may be part of the problem..

mtdean at thirdcontact

Oct 6, 2009, 3:41 PM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

On 10/06/2009 05:43 PM, nospam312 wrote:
>> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when changing
>> screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating that the theme
>>
> Yes I have the same problem (previously posted on this).
>
> Once the screen is loaded moving between the options seems ok but
> going into a new menu is painfully slow. I have NVIDIA drivers
> installed etc.

But they're not installed correctly. (Likely a package manager
failure.) If you have broken video drivers, you can get fast
performance by just using the Qt Theme Painter (you may want to start
mythfrontend using

mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt

the first time to allow you to easily navigate the menus to
Utilities/Setup|Setup|Appearance without the delay and then change it
properly). Obviously, the best fix, though, is to fix your video driver
installation.

> It was slow enough that I have given up testing. I
> will stick with my current install of Mythbuntu 8.10 which does the
> job albeit without the new MythTV.
>
> The main thing I was hoping to be fixed hasn't been even though there
> is a patch waiting to be applied (myth not playing last 4 seconds of
> video). If it is applied/fixed

That can't be fixed for 0.22 because the necessary changes are too
invasive for inclusion this close to a release. It might be "improved"
for 0.23, but to really be "fixed" requires a whole different approach
for handling the end-of-recording prompt (and one developer has already
expressed an interest in doing a good fix for it).

Besides, for 0.22 or 0.21-fixes, you can work around the issue by
disabling the end-of-recording prompt. You can /still/ use the exit
prompt, but the end-of-recording prompt causes us to exit 2s early (and
coupled with bad video encoding, causes us to exit your video 4s
early--it can be /much/ higher than 4s for some videos).

Or, if you're compiling yourself, just apply both patches at
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6974 to get the "improved" (but not
"fixed") version of the end-of-recording prompt.

Mike

finlay at moeraki

Oct 6, 2009, 4:21 PM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

greg wrote:
> John Finlay wrote:
>> I installed mythbuntu 9.10 beta to check out the new mythtv and I was
>> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when
>> changing screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating
>> that the theme rescaling was slow the first time a screen was
>> accessed but that it was cached and subsequent accesses were much
>> faster. That has not been my experience. I see that the cache is
>> filled but it still takes 5-10s to access a previously accessed
>> screen. What can I do to make the UI more responsive?
>>
>> John
>>
> You should have openGL installed and use it as your painter.. I have
> used MythTV trunk for months and don't exhibit any slow downs in the
> UI...Make sure you have the proper video driver installed... You are
> using a beta version of an OS also, which may be part of the problem..
Thanks that was the answer. I'm using the nvidia 185 drivers but I was
using the QT painter. Once I switched to the openGL painter screen
changes are fast.

John

nospam312 at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 2:59 AM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

> using the Qt Theme Painter (you may want to start mythfrontend using

Thanks - thinking about it for some reason I think it might still have
been in Qt mode as with it being a new install on the test machine I
guess it defaults to Qt.

I think I will reinstall from scratch on the test machine and give it
another try.

> That can't be fixed for 0.22 because the necessary changes are too invasive

Thanks for update on this ticket.

> Besides, for 0.22 or 0.21-fixes, you can work around the issue by disabling
> the end-of-recording prompt.  You can /still/ use the exit prompt, but the
> end-of-recording prompt causes us to exit 2s early (and coupled with bad

Can you clarify if there is a difference between exit prompt and
end-of-recording prompt?

Thanks for help.

ryan.goat at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 7:27 AM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM, nospam312 <nospam312 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Can you clarify if there is a difference between exit prompt and
> end-of-recording prompt?

There certainly is a difference. "exit prompt" is the prompt you get
when you press exit/quit/Esc while playing a recording. "end of
recording prompt" is the prompt you get when a playing recording
reaches the end of the file (or close to the end). The two prompts
display different choices and are enabled/disabled with different
setup options.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Oct 7, 2009, 9:12 AM

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI [In reply to]

On 10/07/2009 10:27 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM, nospam312 wrote:
>
>> Can you clarify if there is a difference between exit prompt and
>> end-of-recording prompt?
> There certainly is a difference. "exit prompt" is the prompt you get
> when you press exit/quit/Esc while playing a recording. "end of
> recording prompt" is the prompt you get when a playing recording
> reaches the end of the file (or close to the end). The two prompts
> display different choices and are enabled/disabled with different
> setup options.

Exactly. Thanks for the

FWIW, the options are:

Action on playback exit
- Just exit
- Save position and exit
- Always prompt (excluding Live TV)
- Always prompt (including Live TV)
- Prompt for Live TV only
If set to prompt, a menu will be displayed when you exit playback mode.
The options available will allow you to save your position, delete the
recording, or continue watching.

and

Prompt at end of recording
If set, a menu will be displayed allowing you to delete the recording
when it has finished playing.

both in Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV Settings|Playback, several pages in
(and right on top of each other--in the order shown above).

By disabling the end-of-recording prompt, /if/ you happen to play
through the end of the recording, you simply have to delete the
recording (if desired) from the Watch Recordings screen after playback
(automatically) exits at the end of the recording using D or
INFO|Delete... As a matter of fact, without this prompt, you're back to
the way Myth used to work before Stanley added the embedded
playbackbox--i.e. the way it worked in 0.20--with the exception that you