Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case

lofty69 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 8:14 AM

Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case

If so, are you able to power the thing up from the remote?

It's supposed to be able to power up via a cold state but mine isn't
doing anything when I try via the remote.

The display is working when the PC is off and the power button is lit
orange so it's got power.

I mailed Origen over a week ago, but no reply as of yet :(

mlists at dressler

Oct 6, 2009, 8:27 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> If so, are you able to power the thing up from the remote?
>
> It's supposed to be able to power up via a cold state but mine isn't
> doing anything when I try via the remote.
>
> The display is working when the PC is off and the power button is lit
> orange so it's got power.
>
> I mailed Origen over a week ago, but no reply as of yet :(

The web page shows the IR module as optional. Do you have IR working
with it at all? I don't have one but it looks like a nice box.

Norm

lofty69 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 9:00 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

2009/10/6 Norm Dressler <mlists [at] dressler>:
> Roy Lofthouse wrote:
>>
>>  If so, are you able to power the thing up from the remote?
>>
>> It's supposed to be able to power up via a cold state but mine isn't
>> doing anything when I try via the remote.
>>
>> The display is working when the PC is off and the power button is lit
>> orange so it's got power.
>>
>> I mailed Origen over a week ago, but no reply as of yet :(
>>

> The web page shows the IR module as optional.  Do you have IR working with
> it at all?  I don't have one but it looks like a nice box.
>
> Norm

The normal ir is built into the vfd (VF210) and is working great (uses
irtrans rather than lirc). Everything but the remote power is working
and I'm very happy with the case.

If you read the text for the VF210 it states:

"Another key feature is the ability to switch your HTPC on from a
totally of state (not just sleep mode, but OFF)"

mythtv at mikeholden

Oct 6, 2009, 9:08 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> The normal ir is built into the vfd (VF210) and is working great (uses
> irtrans rather than lirc). Everything but the remote power is working
> and I'm very happy with the case.
>
> If you read the text for the VF210 it states:
>
> "Another key feature is the ability to switch your HTPC on from a
> totally of state (not just sleep mode, but OFF)"

I seem to remember that similar functionality on my Antec case requires a specific
cable to be connected to the mobo somewhere? Is this the case here as well?
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts

mlists at dressler

Oct 6, 2009, 9:47 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

Mike Holden wrote:
> Roy Lofthouse wrote:
>
>> The normal ir is built into the vfd (VF210) and is working great (uses
>> irtrans rather than lirc). Everything but the remote power is working
>> and I'm very happy with the case.
>>
>> If you read the text for the VF210 it states:
>>
>> "Another key feature is the ability to switch your HTPC on from a
>> totally of state (not just sleep mode, but OFF)"
>>

> I seem to remember that similar functionality on my Antec case requires a specific
> cable to be connected to the mobo somewhere? Is this the case here as well?

All the cases/modules for powering on usually require the module to be
put between the power button and the motherboard or plugged directly to
the mobo where the power button normally would go. It is a rather
trivial circuit to make it happen but that would definitely be required.

Norm

mwood23 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 10:48 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Norm Dressler <mlists [at] dressler> wrote:

> All the cases/modules for powering on usually require the module to be put
> between the power button and the motherboard or plugged directly to the mobo
> where the power button normally would go.  It is a rather trivial circuit to
> make it happen but that would definitely be required.

I have the S14V case and the VF210 module does get its standby power
connection from a connector running between the mobo's power
connectors and the PS cabling. But it looks like a tap, not a break
in the circuit, from what I can tell. Perhaps the mobo header
connector is what does the job. The PDF of the wiring diagram is
here: http://www.origenae.co.kr/board/bbs/download.php?bo_table=e_pds&wr_id=26&no=0

I don't plan to use this feature though, since my backend and frontend
both run on this one machine. With the Zalman PS and Arctic Cooling
CPU fan, the box runs very quietly so it's not a nuisance to have it
on.

But it would definitely be interesting to hear how you fare toward
that goal, Roy!

tabish121 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 10:55 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 16:14 +0100, Roy Lofthouse wrote:
> If so, are you able to power the thing up from the remote?
>
> It's supposed to be able to power up via a cold state but mine isn't
> doing anything when I try via the remote.
>
> The display is working when the PC is off and the power button is lit
> orange so it's got power.
>
> I mailed Origen over a week ago, but no reply as of yet :(

I've powered mine off and on from the remote before, I don't do it
currently but I know it works. In order to get it working you need to
teach the IRTans software what the power off and on signals are from the
remote. There's no way to setup the on/off commands from the ascii
client as far as I know, I used the Windows GUI client and entered the
learned command names from my remote configuration into the entries on
the Device status page in that app, this updates the firmware on the
VF210 with the IR codes needed to handle on/off. Then all you need to
do is ensure that you've hooked up the cabling from the VF210 correctly
so it can act as the on/off button.

Regards
Tim.

lofty69 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 11:23 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

2009/10/6 Timothy Bish <tabish121 [at] gmail>:
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 16:14 +0100, Roy Lofthouse wrote:
>> If so, are you able to power the thing up from the remote?
>>
>> It's supposed to be able to power up via a cold state but mine isn't
>> doing anything when I try via the remote.
>>
>> The display is working when the PC is off and the power button is lit
>> orange so it's got power.
>>
>> I mailed Origen over a week ago, but no reply as of yet :(
>
> I've powered mine off and on from the remote before, I don't do it
> currently but I know it works.  In order to get it working you need to
> teach the IRTans software what the power off and on signals are from the
> remote.  There's no way to setup the on/off commands from the ascii
> client as far as I know, I used the Windows GUI client and entered the
> learned command names from my remote configuration into the entries on
> the Device status page in that app, this updates the firmware on the
> VF210 with the IR codes needed to handle on/off.  Then all you need to
> do is ensure that you've hooked up the cabling from the VF210 correctly
> so it can act as the on/off button.
>
> Regards
> Tim.

Thanks for the info Tim,

Looks like I need to install windows on an old drive as you can't
upgrade the firmware without it either :(

As for the cabling, that's already in place.

Thanks again.

herman at frontier

Oct 6, 2009, 12:38 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

>> remote. There's no way to setup the on/off commands from the ascii
>> client as far as I know, I used the Windows GUI client and entered the
>> learned command names from my remote configuration into the entries on
>> the Device status page in that app, this updates the firmware on the
>> VF210 with the IR codes needed to handle on/off. Then all you need to
>> do is ensure that you've hooked up the cabling from the VF210 correctly
>> so it can act as the on/off button.
[...]
> Looks like I need to install windows on an old drive as you can't
> upgrade the firmware without it either :(

Ive got the same case (although at some point I couldn't get the remote
working anymore, using a little bluetooth keyboard now) and am pretty
sure you can do this on the command line as well.

Have a look at the latter part of
<http://blog.peter.skarpetis.com/archives/2006/11/06/my-new-bitching-mythtv-box/>

Herman

tabish121 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 1:04 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 21:38 +0200, Herman Kuiper wrote:
> >> remote. There's no way to setup the on/off commands from the ascii
> >> client as far as I know, I used the Windows GUI client and entered the
> >> learned command names from my remote configuration into the entries on
> >> the Device status page in that app, this updates the firmware on the
> >> VF210 with the IR codes needed to handle on/off. Then all you need to
> >> do is ensure that you've hooked up the cabling from the VF210 correctly
> >> so it can act as the on/off button.
> [...]
> > Looks like I need to install windows on an old drive as you can't
> > upgrade the firmware without it either :(
>
> Ive got the same case (although at some point I couldn't get the remote
> working anymore, using a little bluetooth keyboard now) and am pretty
> sure you can do this on the command line as well.
>
> Have a look at the latter part of
> <http://blog.peter.skarpetis.com/archives/2006/11/06/my-new-bitching-mythtv-box/>
>
> Herman

That looks to be what you need, so no need to install windows, nice. I
don't believe this was included in the ascii client when I did this two
years ago, at least I didn't see it. Nice to know its there now.

Thanks for the info.

Tim.

mwood23 at gmail

Oct 6, 2009, 4:09 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

> Thanks for the info Tim,
>
> Looks like I need to install windows on an old drive as you can't
> upgrade the firmware without it either :(

yep I had to install Windoze so that I could update the firmware, too.
I tried several 'live cd' combos and copying DLLs around before I
finally gave up and installed the OS. A real pain but I doubt
OrigenAE is about to release a linux-based firmware update utility :-P

lofty69 at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 3:32 AM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

2009/10/7 Matt W <mwood23 [at] gmail>:
>> Thanks for the info Tim,
>>
>> Looks like I need to install windows on an old drive as you can't
>> upgrade the firmware without it either :(
>
> yep I had to install Windoze so that I could update the firmware, too.
>  I tried several 'live cd' combos and copying DLLs around before I
> finally gave up and installed the OS.  A real pain but I doubt
> OrigenAE is about to release a linux-based firmware update utility :-P

MythTV users to the rescue again!

problem sorted..

I tried to configure via the command line in linux as in that
documents that was posted by Herman but it didn't seem to work, so I
installed the windoze software vie wine and set it that way.

It's a nice feature being able to pick any remote button to power on the PC. :)

Thanks again.

mwood23 at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 12:26 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I tried to configure via the command line in linux as in that
> documents that was posted by Herman but it didn't seem to work, so I
> installed the windoze software vie wine and set it that way.
>
> It's a nice feature being able to pick any remote button to power on the PC. :)

hmm good to know you can access the USB interface/drivers for the VFD
via Wine. Thanks for the info, Roy!

lofty69 at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 12:32 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

2009/10/7 Matt W <mwood23 [at] gmail>:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> I tried to configure via the command line in linux as in that
>> documents that was posted by Herman but it didn't seem to work, so I
>> installed the windoze software vie wine and set it that way.
>>
>> It's a nice feature being able to pick any remote button to power on the PC. :)
>
> hmm good to know you can access the USB interface/drivers for the VFD
> via Wine.  Thanks for the info, Roy!

Funny thing is, it won't update the firmware using wine (or at least I
couldn't)..shame.

mwood23 at gmail

Oct 7, 2009, 3:31 PM

Re: Anyone got an OrigenAE S10V Case [In reply to]

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Funny thing is, it won't update the firmware using wine (or at least I
> couldn't)..shame.

d'oh! oh welps. guess we can't have it all. :)