Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher

tortise at paradise

Sep 24, 2009, 7:43 PM

NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard [at] gmail>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Drivers 190.36 released today add an overscan compensation parameter
to the NV-CONTROL X extension:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2091962

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 10:45 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> Drivers 190.36 released today add an overscan compensation parameter
> to the NV-CONTROL X extension:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2091962

Any guidance on how to use this? I am using the 190.36 driver, but I
don't see any overscan compensation setting in nvidia-settings. Can I
just add an option for "OverscanCompensation" in my xorg.conf file? If
so what format should the argument be in?

jyavenard at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 10:48 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail>:
> Any guidance on how to use this? I am using the 190.36 driver, but I
> don't see any overscan compensation setting in nvidia-settings. Can I
> just add an option for "OverscanCompensation" in my xorg.conf file? If
> so what format should the argument be in?

You'll have to use the command line and specify the arguments there.
like nvidia-settings -O variablename=value

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 11:32 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> You'll have to use the command line and specify the arguments there.
> like nvidia-settings -O variablename=value

nvidia-settings doesn't seem to have a -O option. I tried using the -a
option which seems to fit the bill, but I get this:

nvidia-settings -a OverscanCompensation=100

ERROR: Error parsing assignment 'OverscanCompensation=100'
(Unrecognized attribute name).

Is my syntax or spelling wrong? I really want to get this working. If
anybody has it working can you share your exact commands?

jyavenard at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 11:44 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail>:

> nvidia-settings doesn't seem to have a -O option. I tried using the -a
> option which seems to fit the bill, but I get this:
>
> nvidia-settings -a OverscanCompensation=100
>
> ERROR: Error parsing assignment 'OverscanCompensation=100'
> (Unrecognized attribute name).

You probably need to get an updated nvidia-settings

The syntax , according to the help file is something like:
--assign="SyncToVBlank=1"

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 11:55 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> The syntax , according to the help file is something like:
> --assign="SyncToVBlank=1"

yeah the -a is just an alternate form. I get the same error either
way. I am installing my drivers from your testing repository (thanks
for providing them). I just updated from your release repository. Is
there something that I need to do to get nvidia-settings updated
correctly? Or is the newest version just not in your repo yet. I mean
it has been 8 hours already ;-).

jyavenard at gmail

Sep 24, 2009, 11:58 PM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail>:
>> The syntax , according to the help file is something like:
>> --assign="SyncToVBlank=1"
>
> yeah the -a is just an alternate form. I get the same error either
> way. I am installing my drivers from your testing repository (thanks
> for providing them). I just updated from your release repository. Is
> there something that I need to do to get nvidia-settings updated
> correctly? Or is the newest version just not in your repo yet. I mean
> it has been 8 hours already ;-).

I don't package nvidia-settings because I've never seen the need for it.
There's one provided by the nvidia installer , or you can get it from there:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidia-settings/nvidia-settings-190.36.tar.gz

You'll need to install the nvidia -dev package to compile it.
Then run ./configure on it.
No need to install it, you can run it directly from where it's compiled

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 12:01 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> I don't package nvidia-settings because I've never seen the need for it.
> There's one provided by the nvidia installer , or you can get it from there:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidia-settings/nvidia-settings-190.36.tar.gz
>
> You'll need to install the nvidia -dev package to compile it.
> Then run ./configure on it.
> No need to install it, you can run it directly from where it's compiled

Ahh, I just saw that it wasn't in your repo. Thanks, I will update
that tomorrow and see how it goes.

jyavenard at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 12:08 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail>:

> Ahh, I just saw that it wasn't in your repo. Thanks, I will update
> that tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm building packages now, should be available in about 10 minutes..

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 12:10 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> I'm building packages now, should be available in about 10 minutes..

Wow, thanks. Based on the number of complaints about overscan issues,
I imagine there will be a lot of people interested in this.

jyavenard at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 12:16 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic [at] gmail>:
>> I'm building packages now, should be available in about 10 minutes..
>
> Wow, thanks. Based on the number of complaints about overscan issues,
> I imagine there will be a lot of people interested in this.

I'll also try to use the new lib vdpau structure as defined by nvidia there:

That way I'll be able to put all nvidia packages into one repository
(release) and make mythtv packages completely independant of the
nvidia drivers... removing the need for a separate testing and release
repository.

drescherjm at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 6:02 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

My nvidia-settings-190.36 appears to support this:

jmd0 john # nvidia-settings --query=OverscanCompensation

Attribute 'OverscanCompensation' (jmd0.comcast.net:0.0; display device:
CRT-1): 0.
The valid values for 'OverscanCompensation' are in the range 0 - 100
(inclusive).
'OverscanCompensation' is display device specific.
'OverscanCompensation' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

jmd0 john # nvidia-settings --assign="OverscanCompensation=5"

Attribute 'OverscanCompensation' (jmd0.comcast.net:0.0, display device:
CRT-1) assigned value 5.

jmd0 john # nvidia-settings --query=OverscanCompensation

Attribute 'OverscanCompensation' (jmd0.comcast.net:0.0; display device:
CRT-1): 5.
The valid values for 'OverscanCompensation' are in the range 0 - 100
(inclusive).
'OverscanCompensation' is display device specific.
'OverscanCompensation' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

jmd0 john #

This is on gentoo. I put the ebuilds in my overlay last night.

http://github.com/drescherjm/jmdgentoooverlay

John

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 25, 2009, 8:49 AM

Re: NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher [In reply to]

> My nvidia-settings-190.36 appears to support this:

Yes it does, I didn't realize that I was still actually using the 180
version of nvidia-settings, because Jean-Yves didn't use to package it
in his repository. I compiled from source and it worked perfectly with
190.36. It is in Jean-Yves repository now so it shouldn't be a problem
for others in my situation. There is a slider for it in the
nvidia-settings GUI or you can add it to your ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
file like this:

0/OverscanCompensation[TV-0]=45

where TV-0 is the display device. It works really well. I have been
able to reduce my menu back to normal size and disable the scaling in
the mythtv GUI. My only complaint is that for my set the overscan
seems to be proportional to the dimensions of the set. So the actual
width overscanned in the horizontal dimension is 4/3 of the height in
the vertical dimension. Since this settings is applied universally in
the vertical and horizontal dimension my set it still slightly
overscanned in the horizontal direction, or I could underscan it in
the vertical direction and have the full horizontal.