Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

NAS with flash drive?

bhaskins at chartermi

Sep 15, 2009, 4:40 PM

NAS with flash drive?

I hope this isn't too far off topic but does anyone know of a
Myth-friendly NAS that can run with just a flash drive?
I need to address a fairly small amount of dat from several
different points.
No security worries involved.
Not too expensive if possible.
Thanks,
Bert

beww at beww

Sep 15, 2009, 4:46 PM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 17:40:50 bhaskins [at] chartermi wrote:
> I hope this isn't too far off topic but does anyone know of a
> Myth-friendly NAS that can run with just a flash drive?
> I need to address a fairly small amount of dat from several
> different points.
> No security worries involved.
> Not too expensive if possible.

LOTs of possible answers, but you might consider a slug (Linksys NSLU2), or
one of the SheevaPlug devices, if performance is not a major comsideration.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

Or even one of the third-party firmwares what will run on a router-type
device, (tomato, dd-wrt etc.) some of them have USB ports you could plug a
flash device into, and share it out via NFS or Samba.

These are all sub-$100 solutions.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

stichnot at gmail

Sep 15, 2009, 4:51 PM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 17:40:50 bhaskins [at] chartermi wrote:
>> I hope this isn't too far off topic but does anyone know of a
>> Myth-friendly NAS that can run with just a flash drive?
>> I need to address a fairly small amount of dat from several
>> different points.
>> No security worries involved.
>> Not too expensive if possible.
>
> LOTs of possible answers, but you might consider a slug (Linksys NSLU2), or
> one of the SheevaPlug devices, if performance is not a major comsideration.
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>
> Or even one of the third-party firmwares what will run on a router-type
> device, (tomato, dd-wrt etc.) some of them have USB ports you could plug a
> flash device into, and share it out via NFS or Samba.
>
> These are all sub-$100 solutions.

But what does "Myth-friendly" mean? Will this double as a frontend?
Slave backend? Jobqueue server? These solutions probably don't work
if they are also to run Myth software.

Jim

beww at beww

Sep 15, 2009, 5:04 PM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 17:51:17 Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 September 2009 17:40:50 bhaskins [at] chartermi wrote:
> >> I hope this isn't too far off topic but does anyone know of a
> >> Myth-friendly NAS that can run with just a flash drive?
> >> I need to address a fairly small amount of dat from several
> >> different points.
> >> No security worries involved.
> >> Not too expensive if possible.
> >
> > LOTs of possible answers, but you might consider a slug (Linksys NSLU2),
> > or one of the SheevaPlug devices, if performance is not a major
> > comsideration.
> >
> > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> >
> > Or even one of the third-party firmwares what will run on a router-type
> > device, (tomato, dd-wrt etc.) some of them have USB ports you could plug
> > a flash device into, and share it out via NFS or Samba.
> >
> > These are all sub-$100 solutions.
>
> But what does "Myth-friendly" mean? Will this double as a frontend?
> Slave backend? Jobqueue server? These solutions probably don't work
> if they are also to run Myth software.

I assumed he wanted a NAS server of some sort that a Myth system could connect
to, and anything running NFS and/or Samba would fill that bill.

Obviously none of those devices could run Myth in any incarnation.

If he meant something to add to a Myth system that would act as a NAS server,
that's already there on just about any Myth machine's OS.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

myth at pbj-design

Sep 16, 2009, 12:30 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

Brian Wood skrev:
> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 17:51:17 Jim Stichnoth wrote:

>>> LOTs of possible answers, but you might consider a slug (Linksys NSLU2),
>>> or one of the SheevaPlug devices, if performance is not a major
>>> comsideration.
>>>
>>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>>>
>>> Or even one of the third-party firmwares what will run on a router-type
>>> device, (tomato, dd-wrt etc.) some of them have USB ports you could plug
>>> a flash device into, and share it out via NFS or Samba.
>>>
>>> These are all sub-$100 solutions.
>>>
>> But what does "Myth-friendly" mean? Will this double as a frontend?
>> Slave backend? Jobqueue server? These solutions probably don't work
>> if they are also to run Myth software.
>>

> I assumed he wanted a NAS server of some sort that a Myth system could connect
> to, and anything running NFS and/or Samba would fill that bill.
>
> Obviously none of those devices could run Myth in any incarnation.
>
> If he meant something to add to a Myth system that would act as a NAS server,
> that's already there on just about any Myth machine's OS.

As far as I know - Its possible to run MythTV on the NSLU2 - allthough
I'm using it for backup device - and seconedary DNS!
But a guide for the NSLU2 -http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_On_NSLU2

beww at beww

Sep 16, 2009, 7:45 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 01:30:47 Per Jørgensen wrote:

> As far as I know - Its possible to run MythTV on the NSLU2 - allthough
> I'm using it for backup device - and seconedary DNS!
> But a guide for the NSLU2 -http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_On_NSLU2

I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The slug
has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.

The slug does not even have a floating point unit, even decoding MP3s strains
this little device (I had to locate an integer-based decoder). Running MySQL
is a chore for a slug.

I suppose it could be done, but why?

The slug and other similar devices are very handy and can do a lot, but
running Myth would not be its strong point, IMHO.

The SheevaPlug has a little more capability, but is still not capable of
intensive A/V applications. I'm not sure if the SheevaPlug has an FPU, but
it's still a limited device with no video hardware.

I ran a mail server for a long time on a slug, but it fell down trying to cope
with modern anti-spam and anti-virus applications. For example, doing OCR to
detect image spam was way beyond its cpabilities. It worked, but at a crawl.

Great little units, but not really Myth hardware.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

eric at lisaneric

Sep 16, 2009, 8:04 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The slug
> has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.

I think the idea is that this is a backend only, not a frontend.

The slug should be more than powerful enough to open a network port
and receive a recording from an HDHR tuner or something like that.

Eric

beww at beww

Sep 16, 2009, 8:20 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 09:04:18 Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> > I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The
> > slug has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
>
> I think the idea is that this is a backend only, not a frontend.
>
> The slug should be more than powerful enough to open a network port
> and receive a recording from an HDHR tuner or something like that.

Yes, but it would also have to run the database, unless you ran the DB on
another machine. It would also not be very good at transcoding or commercial
flagging, tasks usually assigned to the backend.

Possible, but not really practical.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

jarpublic at gmail

Sep 16, 2009, 8:44 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

> Possible, but not really practical.

I had a NSLU2 for a while and its main limitation is the 32 MB of RAM.
You have to be careful not to use all that up just running basic
services like ssh and nfs. As I recall I had to switch out OpenSSH
(using 8 MB of RAM) for the slower and less capable DropBear (which
used like 2 MB of RAM) or I would run out RAM just doing "apt-get
upgrade".

beww at beww

Sep 16, 2009, 9:01 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 09:44:04 Johnny wrote:
> > Possible, but not really practical.
>
> I had a NSLU2 for a while and its main limitation is the 32 MB of RAM.
> You have to be careful not to use all that up just running basic
> services like ssh and nfs. As I recall I had to switch out OpenSSH
> (using 8 MB of RAM) for the slower and less capable DropBear (which
> used like 2 MB of RAM) or I would run out RAM just doing "apt-get
> upgrade".

I can run openSSH, but you're correct that dropbear is preferred by most slug
users.

You want to set up a fairly large swap partition, this will prevent running
out of memory, but certainly doesn't speed things up.

Some people have managed to increase the physical RAM (fattening), but it is
not for the timid.

I've had a full Debian install (Sarge) running from a flash drive on a slug
for over a year, the only problem is a lack of speed and overall capability.

The support from the NSLU2 community is terrific.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

junk_inbox at verizon

Sep 16, 2009, 9:16 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> > I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The
> slug
> > has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
>
> I think the idea is that this is a backend only, not a frontend.
>
> The slug should be more than powerful enough to open a network port
> and receive a recording from an HDHR tuner or something like that.

I think you are over-estimating the resources on the NSLU2. For one,
although it's processor is spec'd at 266MHz, it's under-clocked at 1/2 that
speed - 133MHz. (There's a hack to 'fix' that, which I've done, but many
may be afraid to do such a hack.) Then there's memory - only 32MB, etc.
Memory is pretty full already.

You'd have a better chance of running a backend successfully on an iPhone.
;-)

I haven't had my NSLU2 running for a couple of years now. I should start
using it again, or put it up on fleabay assuming it still works alright. ;-)

J-e-f-f-A

beww at beww

Sep 16, 2009, 9:21 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 10:16:20 Jeff wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric [at] lisaneric> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> > > I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense.
> > > The
> >
> > slug
> >
> > > has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
> >
> > I think the idea is that this is a backend only, not a frontend.
> >
> > The slug should be more than powerful enough to open a network port
> > and receive a recording from an HDHR tuner or something like that.
>
> I think you are over-estimating the resources on the NSLU2. For one,
> although it's processor is spec'd at 266MHz, it's under-clocked at 1/2 that
> speed - 133MHz. (There's a hack to 'fix' that, which I've done, but many
> may be afraid to do such a hack.) Then there's memory - only 32MB, etc.
> Memory is pretty full already.

The last NSLU2s that were shipped apparently were already "de-underclocked" to
266Mhz. The "hack" was simply removing a chip resistor.

I read somewhere that they were originally underclocked due to problems
meeting the FCC part 15 incidental radiation spec., later units had better
shielding.

> You'd have a better chance of running a backend successfully on an iPhone.
> ;-)

Well it does have a display.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww

blammo.doh at gmail

Sep 17, 2009, 8:50 PM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM, <bhaskins [at] chartermi> wrote:
> I hope this isn't too far off topic but does anyone know of a
> Myth-friendly NAS that can run with just a flash drive?
> I need to address a fairly small amount of dat from several
> different points.

If you're willing to throw a little bit of your own hardware at it..
(I run one on a Celeron 400 machine with 128M of ram) you can use
FreeNAS:

http://www.freenas.org/

jerrymr at gmail

Sep 18, 2009, 8:41 PM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 01:30:47 Per Jørgensen wrote:
>

> > As far as I know - Its possible to run MythTV on the NSLU2 - allthough
> > I'm using it for backup device - and seconedary DNS!
> > But a guide for the NSLU2 -http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_On_NSLU2
>

> I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The
> slug
> has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
>
> The slug does not even have a floating point unit, even decoding MP3s
> strains
> this little device (I had to locate an integer-based decoder). Running
> MySQL
> is a chore for a slug.
>
> I suppose it could be done, but why?
>
> The slug and other similar devices are very handy and can do a lot, but
> running Myth would not be its strong point, IMHO.
>
> The SheevaPlug has a little more capability, but is still not capable of
> intensive A/V applications. I'm not sure if the SheevaPlug has an FPU, but
> it's still a limited device with no video hardware.
>
> I ran a mail server for a long time on a slug, but it fell down trying to
> cope
> with modern anti-spam and anti-virus applications. For example, doing OCR
> detect image spam was way beyond its cpabilities. It worked, but at a
> crawl.
>
> Great little units, but not really Myth hardware.

This guy is running a master backend (MySql + MythWeb + alarm) on a
SheevaPlug. He uses a slave backend (which the Sheeva wakes up) for
recording.

All the things he has running on the SheevaPlug:

http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Real_time_Statistics

Details on how he set it up:

http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Sheeva_Plug_as_a_MythTV_master_backend

11W max power. Nice.

-Jerry

-Jerry

beww at beww

Sep 19, 2009, 2:25 AM

Re: NAS with flash drive? [In reply to]

On Friday 18 September 2009 21:41:14 Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 September 2009 01:30:47 Per Jørgensen wrote:
> > > As far as I know - Its possible to run MythTV on the NSLU2 - allthough
> > > I'm using it for backup device - and seconedary DNS!
> > > But a guide for the NSLU2 -http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_On_NSLU2
> >
> > I would describe this as a triumph of engineering over common sense. The
> > slug
> > has no video hardware, you have tro display on a different machine.
> >
> > The slug does not even have a floating point unit, even decoding MP3s
> > strains
> > this little device (I had to locate an integer-based decoder). Running
> > MySQL
> > is a chore for a slug.
> >
> > I suppose it could be done, but why?
> >
> > The slug and other similar devices are very handy and can do a lot, but
> > running Myth would not be its strong point, IMHO.
> >
> > The SheevaPlug has a little more capability, but is still not capable of
> > intensive A/V applications. I'm not sure if the SheevaPlug has an FPU,
> > but it's still a limited device with no video hardware.
> >
> > I ran a mail server for a long time on a slug, but it fell down trying to
> > cope
> > with modern anti-spam and anti-virus applications. For example, doing OCR
> > detect image spam was way beyond its cpabilities. It worked, but at a
> > crawl.
> >
> > Great little units, but not really Myth hardware.
>
> This guy is running a master backend (MySql + MythWeb + alarm) on a
> SheevaPlug. He uses a slave backend (which the Sheeva wakes up) for
> recording.
>
> All the things he has running on the SheevaPlug:
>
> http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Real_time_Statistics
>
> Details on how he set it up:
>
> http://computingplugs.com/index.php/Sheeva_Plug_as_a_MythTV_master_backend
>
> 11W max power. Nice.

Very nice. The SheevaPlug is more capable than the slug, but the slug is
certainly capable of a lot. Many people are running them as asterisk servers,
and a sub-$100 6-watt PBX controller is not bad.

--
Brian Wood
beww [at] beww