Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

gdiethelm at dcv

Feb 12, 2009, 11:13 AM

Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

Hullo everyone, first poster here. I have now subscribed to the list,
hopefully this post will make it.

I recently configured a box as a backend and frontend for MythTV, to
experiment how I could go about building a digital library which will
include all my (original) DVDs; TV recording is out (for now). To do my
testing I used a MythBuntu CD.

My plan is to rip the DVDs on a Windows machine using DVDfab HD
Decrypter (version 5.2.3.2), since I believe this is the easiest way to
ensure that I end up with non-protected DVD files that include exactly
the sound tracks and subtitle tracks I want, with defaults defined
according to my needs. Then I will import these movies into MythTV,
probably doing some tests as to whether I will transcode them or not (I
probably will due to space reasons).

I think I have gotten the hang of how things work, but I have some
things I have not been able to make work, and some additional questions.

1. How do I import a DVD movie that is stored on a directory in my file
system, with the typical VIDEO_TS (and empty AUDIO_TS) subdirectories,
into MythTV? I tried going to the Archive Files (whatever the option is
called), which allows me to navigate the file system, but when I
navigate to my ripped DVD directory it doesn't show any files at all and
I can take no meaningful action to start the import... Is it possible to
import DVD movies that have been pre-ripped to the file system?

2. What is the structure used in the file system to store imported
movies in MythTV? Could I devise my own directory tree to group my
movies according to my whims? Could I also add tags to the movies, so
that when I wish to play them, I can search for them independently of
the directory trees I have defined?

3. In order to at least check whether my front-end was working, I
changed the command to watch videos (which was set as "Internal") to a
hard-coded invocation of mplayer pointing to a ripped movie, and yes,
that did open the movie, so things do work, but it leaves much to be
desired...

4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?

5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?

That's it for now. If somebody could find the time to push me in the
right direction, I would really appreciate it (and would certainly come
up with more questions in the future).

If possible, please copy me in any answers. Thanks in advance and best
regards.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm [at] diethelm

beww at beww

Feb 12, 2009, 12:19 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thursday 12 February 2009 12:13:34 gonzalo diethelm wrote:

> 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?

Sounds like a video output problem, what did you specify as -vo for mplayer?
What did it say when it started?

> 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?

Why Ubuntu Server? Myth can be set up on just about any Linux distro, though
it is easier to get help with the more commonly-used ones.

Obviously the easiest way to get Myth set up and running is with one of
the "all-in-one" MythTV distributions, Mythbuntu, Mythdora, Knoppmyth and the
like.

Setting up on well-known distros is generally not too hard, but if it is going
to be a dedicated box I don't understand why you don't want to just go with
one of the all-in-ones as a start, then perhaps compile for yourself on your
favorite distro if you want/need somethign not provided on the AIOs.

> That's it for now. If somebody could find the time to push me in the
> right direction, I would really appreciate it (and would certainly come
> up with more questions in the future).
>
> If possible, please copy me in any answers. Thanks in advance and best
> regards.

OK. It's also usually better to keep to a single problem per post, or trying
to follow the thread(s) gets difficult, as does searching the archives by
subject.

Phrases like "Newbie Questions" in the subject are not helpful. Rememeber
people will be searching the archives, and probably won't think to look
for "Newbie Question" if they have the same problem(s) as you.

Most people here want to help you, whether you are a newbie or an old hand.

--
beww
beww [at] beww

memmott at gmail

Feb 12, 2009, 12:47 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm [at] dcv> wrote:

> Hullo everyone, first poster here. I have now subscribed to the list,
> hopefully this post will make it.
>
> I recently configured a box as a backend and frontend for MythTV, to
> experiment how I could go about building a digital library which will
> include all my (original) DVDs; TV recording is out (for now). To do my
> testing I used a MythBuntu CD.
>
> My plan is to rip the DVDs on a Windows machine using DVDfab HD
> Decrypter (version 5.2.3.2), since I believe this is the easiest way to
> ensure that I end up with non-protected DVD files that include exactly
> the sound tracks and subtitle tracks I want, with defaults defined
> according to my needs. Then I will import these movies into MythTV,
> probably doing some tests as to whether I will transcode them or not (I
> probably will due to space reasons).
>
> I think I have gotten the hang of how things work, but I have some
> things I have not been able to make work, and some additional questions.
>
> 1. How do I import a DVD movie that is stored on a directory in my file
> system, with the typical VIDEO_TS (and empty AUDIO_TS) subdirectories,
> into MythTV? I tried going to the Archive Files (whatever the option is
> called), which allows me to navigate the file system, but when I
> navigate to my ripped DVD directory it doesn't show any files at all and
> I can take no meaningful action to start the import... Is it possible to
> import DVD movies that have been pre-ripped to the file system?

A quick note on DVD ripping - I rip all my DVDs as single ISO files. It
makes life much easier when importing / moving files around. I use XBMC for
playback as I'm not too happy with MythDVD's UI butthat's another discussion
that's been covered heavily already :-) . DVDfab works well for me, you may
also want to look into DVD Shrink, Ripit4me and DVD decrypter, all free. If
a movie won't rip for me in one, usually it will work in another. It's
getting tougher these days, I still have been unable to rip my copy of The
Dark Knight and may have to resort to other-methods-that-won't-be-named-here
to obtain a digital copy.

ian at duckland

Feb 12, 2009, 1:50 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 16:13 -0300, gonzalo diethelm wrote:
> 1. How do I import a DVD movie that is stored on a directory in my file
> system, with the typical VIDEO_TS (and empty AUDIO_TS) subdirectories,
> into MythTV? I tried going to the Archive Files (whatever the option is
> called), which allows me to navigate the file system, but when I
> navigate to my ripped DVD directory it doesn't show any files at all and
> I can take no meaningful action to start the import... Is it possible to
> import DVD movies that have been pre-ripped to the file system?

You'll want to use mythvideo with the internal player. As an example,
I'd create a directory called "Star Wars". In there, are the VIDEO_TS
and AUDIO_TS subdirectories. From the frontend, use the video manager
and you can tell it that the parent "Star Wars" folder is the movie.
It'll automatically detect the VIDEO_TS subdir inside.

> 2. What is the structure used in the file system to store imported
> movies in MythTV? Could I devise my own directory tree to group my
> movies according to my whims? Could I also add tags to the movies, so
> that when I wish to play them, I can search for them independently of
> the directory trees I have defined?

In order... a) Any structure you want - but remember, it's within
MythVideo, not the TV-viewing section. b) Yes you can. c) ???

> 3. In order to at least check whether my front-end was working, I
> changed the command to watch videos (which was set as "Internal") to a
> hard-coded invocation of mplayer pointing to a ripped movie, and yes,
> that did open the movie, so things do work, but it leaves much to be
> desired...

Which is why we all strive to make the Internal player better.
Consistent interface, and the decoding is MUCH better than it used to
be...

> 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?
>
> 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?

If you're using ubuntu, and you're using their packages, you're
effectively using mythbuntu... that's a personal choice. For specific
instructions, I know I've seen them somewhere on the net in the ubuntu
fourms or somewhere like that. Google is your friend in finding them...

> That's it for now. If somebody could find the time to push me in the
> right direction, I would really appreciate it (and would certainly come
> up with more questions in the future).
>
> If possible, please copy me in any answers. Thanks in advance and best
> regards.

No worries! Good luck!

-I

nikos.f at gmail

Feb 12, 2009, 1:50 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm [at] dcv> wrote:

> My plan is to rip the DVDs on a Windows machine using DVDfab HD
> Decrypter (version 5.2.3.2), since I believe this is the easiest way to
> ensure that I end up with non-protected DVD files that include exactly
> the sound tracks and subtitle tracks I want, with defaults defined
> according to my needs. Then I will import these movies into MythTV,
> probably doing some tests as to whether I will transcode them or not (I
> probably will due to space reasons).
>
> I think I have gotten the hang of how things work, but I have some
> things I have not been able to make work, and some additional questions.
>
> 1. How do I import a DVD movie that is stored on a directory in my file
> system, with the typical VIDEO_TS (and empty AUDIO_TS) subdirectories,
> into MythTV? I tried going to the Archive Files (whatever the option is
> called), which allows me to navigate the file system, but when I
> navigate to my ripped DVD directory it doesn't show any files at all and
> I can take no meaningful action to start the import... Is it possible to
> import DVD movies that have been pre-ripped to the file system?

I just suck in the DVD structure - and Mythvideo automatically recognises
that (if it has the VIDEO_TS, etc) that it's a DVD and plays appropriatly.
I also rip the movies on a Windows box (actually a Windows VM on a Linux
machine) - and use either DVDfab, or anydvd. So - you can certainly import
pre-ripped movies. If I really like the movie - I leave it uncompressed.
If I've watched it, and want to save some space I compress it with HandBrake
under Linux - usually into a h.264 file while preserving the AC3
soundtrack. The new versions of HandBrake will compress BLU-RAY rips as
well.

> 2. What is the structure used in the file system to store imported
> movies in MythTV? Could I devise my own directory tree to group my
> movies according to my whims? Could I also add tags to the movies, so
> that when I wish to play them, I can search for them independently of
> the directory trees I have defined?

I've divided my filestructure so in my mythmovies directory I have a
subdirectory for ACTION, COMEDY, TV SHOWS, FOREIGN, DRAMA, DOCUMENTARY,
CHILDREN, MUSICALS, JAMES BOND, SCI-FI, HORROR - and then drop in either the
DVD FOLDER into that subdirectory, or the compressed movie file. This way I
can navigate more easily.

> 3. In order to at least check whether my front-end was working, I
> changed the command to watch videos (which was set as "Internal") to a
> hard-coded invocation of mplayer pointing to a ripped movie, and yes,
> that did open the movie, so things do work, but it leaves much to be
> desired...

I've been pretty happy using Internal to play my DVDs

> 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?
>
> 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?

I use Fedora for my backend and a self-compiled fixes branch. On my
Frontend I use regular Ubuntu with a self-compiled fixes. It's very easy to
install on Ubuntu without MythBuntu - but MythBuntu is a great way to get
started.

travis at tabbal

Feb 12, 2009, 1:58 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

Look into MythVideo rather than the main part of MythTV if your goal is
movies. Myth is really optimized for TV record/playback but the MythVideo
plugin works quite well for viewing movies. VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS directories
will work with it. Personally, I would transcode to h264 to get size down.
Store in MKV and you can have multipule audio and subtitle tracks including
original untouched AC3/DTS. I find Handbrake does a good job getting that
all how I like it. If you want to leave all the special features and such,
ISO is probably the best way as the menus and such don't tend to work with
transcoding. I believe MythVideo will read the ISO file directly and play it
back with menus and such.

You can organize the directories any way you like. You can also add
metadata, though it does slow things down to read it back in later. I don't
bother, just the titles gets the job done for me.

The internal player works well most of the time. You can also use mplayer,
xine, vlc, whatever.

Mythbuntu is basically Ubuntu with the mythtv packages installed. There's
not much difference that you would notice. Personally, I just use Mythbuntu
for the Mythboxes and Ubuntu Server for the fileserver. Right tool for the
job and all that. I do have Myth installed on my server, so it does run
there. I don't run a frontend there though. I installed the packages so I
could run the job queue for commflagging.

mache at creeger

Feb 12, 2009, 1:59 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

I would suggest that once you decode the DVD in DVDfab HD Decrypter
that you convert it to a single iso file. They typically run 7-9GB.
You can plan them directly on Myth Internal or use Xine. That way you
only have a single file to worry about.

-- Mache

beww at beww

Feb 12, 2009, 2:09 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thursday 12 February 2009 14:58:35 Travis Tabbal wrote:

> Mythbuntu is basically Ubuntu with the mythtv packages installed. There's
> not much difference that you would notice. Personally, I just use Mythbuntu
> for the Mythboxes and Ubuntu Server for the fileserver. Right tool for the
> job and all that. I do have Myth installed on my server, so it does run
> there. I don't run a frontend there though. I installed the packages so I
> could run the job queue for commflagging.

One difference that was mentioned here is that Mythbuntu does not install
pulse audio, while if you install Myth on top of a regular Ubuntu install you
will have pulse installed. No big deal, but it seems to have caused problems
for some. Anyway, just something to be aware of.

I think the latest Ubuntu (8.10) installs compiz, possibly something you would
not want on a Myth system.

--
beww
beww [at] beww

goofdad at gmail

Feb 12, 2009, 2:11 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
> A quick note on DVD ripping - I rip all my DVDs as single ISO files. It
> makes life much easier when importing / moving files around. I use XBMC for
> playback as I'm not too happy with MythDVD's UI butthat's another discussion
> that's been covered heavily already :-) . DVDfab works well for me, you may
> also want to look into DVD Shrink, Ripit4me and DVD decrypter, all free. If
> a movie won't rip for me in one, usually it will work in another. It's
> getting tougher these days, I still have been unable to rip my copy of The
> Dark Knight and may have to resort to other-methods-that-won't-be-named-here
> to obtain a digital copy.

Funny that... I typically rip all mine to folders because I had
problems (admittedly a couple years ago) getting all my various
players on my windows boxen to play ISO's...YMMV ;-)

In any case, MythVideo does fine either way, and can easily be spread
across multiple disks as well.
--
Doug

jedi at mishnet

Feb 12, 2009, 3:33 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:19:43PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 12:13:34 gonzalo diethelm wrote:
>
> > 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> > from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> > NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> > where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?
>
> Sounds like a video output problem, what did you specify as -vo for mplayer?
> What did it say when it started?
> >
> > 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> > Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> > Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?
>
> Why Ubuntu Server? Myth can be set up on just about any Linux distro, though
> it is easier to get help with the more commonly-used ones.

What's so obscure about Ubuntu "anything" exactly?

Any one of them that doesn't try to deviate too much from the
main version will have a large ready pool of potential support
people. For most stuff, you could probably get help on the main
support website (http://ubuntuforums.org/).

That's probably true of "stock" distros in general.

I just rescued a guy from mythbuntu today.

Apparently there are bits missing if you're trying to debug hardware support.

[deletia]

jedi at mishnet

Feb 12, 2009, 3:35 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:50:27PM -0600, Nick F wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm [at] dcv> wrote:
>
> > My plan is to rip the DVDs on a Windows machine using DVDfab HD
> > Decrypter (version 5.2.3.2), since I believe this is the easiest way to
> > ensure that I end up with non-protected DVD files that include exactly
> > the sound tracks and subtitle tracks I want, with defaults defined
> > according to my needs. Then I will import these movies into MythTV,
> > probably doing some tests as to whether I will transcode them or not (I
> > probably will due to space reasons).
> >
> > I think I have gotten the hang of how things work, but I have some
> > things I have not been able to make work, and some additional questions.
> >
> > 1. How do I import a DVD movie that is stored on a directory in my file
> > system, with the typical VIDEO_TS (and empty AUDIO_TS) subdirectories,
> > into MythTV? I tried going to the Archive Files (whatever the option is
> > called), which allows me to navigate the file system, but when I
> > navigate to my ripped DVD directory it doesn't show any files at all and
> > I can take no meaningful action to start the import... Is it possible to
> > import DVD movies that have been pre-ripped to the file system?
> >
> I just suck in the DVD structure - and Mythvideo automatically recognises
> that (if it has the VIDEO_TS, etc) that it's a DVD and plays appropriatly.
> I also rip the movies on a Windows box (actually a Windows VM on a Linux
> machine) - and use either DVDfab, or anydvd. So - you can certainly import
> pre-ripped movies. If I really like the movie - I leave it uncompressed.
> If I've watched it, and want to save some space I compress it with HandBrake
> under Linux - usually into a h.264 file while preserving the AC3
> soundtrack. The new versions of HandBrake will compress BLU-RAY rips as
> well.
>

> > 2. What is the structure used in the file system to store imported
> > movies in MythTV? Could I devise my own directory tree to group my
> > movies according to my whims? Could I also add tags to the movies, so
> > that when I wish to play them, I can search for them independently of
> > the directory trees I have defined?
> >
> I've divided my filestructure so in my mythmovies directory I have a
> subdirectory for ACTION, COMEDY, TV SHOWS, FOREIGN, DRAMA, DOCUMENTARY,
> CHILDREN, MUSICALS, JAMES BOND, SCI-FI, HORROR - and then drop in either the
> DVD FOLDER into that subdirectory, or the compressed movie file. This way I
> can navigate more easily.

You can organize stuff however you want. You can even "nest" the folders
if you want and have stuff like Comedy/Extras so you have some place to
shove those extra features that come on DVDs.

[deletia]

jedi at mishnet

Feb 12, 2009, 3:38 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:59:45PM -0800, Mache Creeger wrote:
> I would suggest that once you decode the DVD in DVDfab HD Decrypter that
> you convert it to a single iso file. They typically run 7-9GB. You can
> plan them directly on Myth Internal or use Xine. That way you only have a
> single file to worry about.

Depending on the movie, that might not even be necessary. A lot of films
don't have any special features (or special features you would want). So you
could extract the entire main title into a single file and use that instead
of a disk image or a subdirectory. There are plenty of different ways to
skin the same cat.

allen.p.edwards at gmail

Feb 12, 2009, 4:30 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

> So you
> could extract the entire main title into a single file and use that instead
> of a disk image or a subdirectory.

As long as you don't mind selecting "English" and recording "French"

Allen

jedi at mishnet

Feb 12, 2009, 6:58 PM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:30:28PM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > So you
> > could extract the entire main title into a single file and use that instead
> > of a disk image or a subdirectory.
>
> As long as you don't mind selecting "English" and recording "French"

Nope. The entire container file will have all of the different
channels of audio and subpictures.

You aren't altering anything when you extract the main title.

[deletia]

...and it's pretty easy to avoid getting the wrong language out
of the DVD container file. You can pretty much (as I have) set it up
once and forget about it.

gdiethelm at dcv

Feb 13, 2009, 5:54 AM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

Wow, this list really is high traffic...

> > 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video
streamed
> > from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC
and
> > NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> > where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?
>
> Sounds like a video output problem, what did you specify as -vo for
> mplayer?
> What did it say when it started?

I think the reason for this was that I had not added any directories to
the Default Storage Group.

> > That's it for now. If somebody could find the time to push me in the
> > right direction, I would really appreciate it (and would certainly
come
> > up with more questions in the future).
> >
> > If possible, please copy me in any answers. Thanks in advance and
best
> > regards.
>
> OK. It's also usually better to keep to a single problem per post, or
> trying
> to follow the thread(s) gets difficult, as does searching the archives
by
> subject.

I will do this in the future.

> Phrases like "Newbie Questions" in the subject are not helpful.
Rememeber
> people will be searching the archives, and probably won't think to
look
> for "Newbie Question" if they have the same problem(s) as you.

Ok; that's why I set the title to "Newbie questions: a digital DVD
library", and not "Newbie questions" only.

> Most people here want to help you, whether you are a newbie or an old
> hand.

Thanks, I apreciate it.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV - Chile

gdiethelm at dcv

Feb 13, 2009, 5:59 AM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail>
wrote:
> > A quick note on DVD ripping - I rip all my DVDs as single ISO files.
It
> > makes life much easier when importing / moving files around. I use
XBMC
> for
> > playback as I'm not too happy with MythDVD's UI butthat's another
> discussion
> > that's been covered heavily already :-) . DVDfab works well for me,
you
> may
> > also want to look into DVD Shrink, Ripit4me and DVD decrypter, all
free.
> If
> > a movie won't rip for me in one, usually it will work in another.
It's
> > getting tougher these days, I still have been unable to rip my copy
of
> The
> > Dark Knight and may have to resort to
other-methods-that-won't-be-named-
> here
> > to obtain a digital copy.
>
> Funny that... I typically rip all mine to folders because I had
> problems (admittedly a couple years ago) getting all my various
> players on my windows boxen to play ISO's...YMMV ;-)
>
> In any case, MythVideo does fine either way, and can easily be spread
> across multiple disks as well.

I have found this to be the case: I can play DVDs ripped to a VIDEO_TS
folder with no problems, with the Internal player and with others.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
DCV - Chile

xavier.hervy at bluebottle

Feb 13, 2009, 6:38 AM

Re: Newbie questions: a digital DVD library [In reply to]

gonzalo diethelm wrote:

> I have found this to be the case: I can play DVDs ripped to a VIDEO_TS
> folder with no problems, with the Internal player and with others.

I tend to prefer ISO rather than folders as the video part a mythweb
will display the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, which look a bit messy
Xavier