Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

spdif and m3n78-em

philwild at gmail

Feb 1, 2009, 7:47 AM

spdif and m3n78-em

Hello all,

I am back once more with audio issues.

I have an m3n78-em motherboard with onboard hdmi and spdif. I have had hdmi
audi and video working fine for a couple of weeks now but decided to switch
to the optical port for audio (as I am toying with using svga for video).

I can not seem to get the optical spdif port to light up. aplay report it as
available, it is not muted in alsamixer. I am running mythbuntu with alsa
upgraded to 1.0.19

Has anyone managed to get digital audio out through spdif on this board?

Cheers

Phil

allen.p.edwards at gmail

Feb 1, 2009, 9:51 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Phil Wild <philwild [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am back once more with audio issues.
>
> I have an m3n78-em motherboard with onboard hdmi and spdif. I have had hdmi
> audi and video working fine for a couple of weeks now but decided to switch
> to the optical port for audio (as I am toying with using svga for video).
>
> I can not seem to get the optical spdif port to light up. aplay report it as
> available, it is not muted in alsamixer. I am running mythbuntu with alsa
> upgraded to 1.0.19
>
> Has anyone managed to get digital audio out through spdif on this board?
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

There is a spdif output on all ASUS mother boards somewhere and with
two resistors and a capacitor you can make an adapter that will allow
you to use that to drive a spdif coax output. I have done this as I
drive two external decoders, one for 5.1 and one for stereo. I have
heard people say that the optical outputs are unreliable on
motherboards in general. I have no special knowledge on this board.

Let me know if you want details on the adapter.

Allen

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Feb 2, 2009, 2:36 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

-----Phil Wild wrote: -----
>Hello all,
>

>I am back once more with audio issues.
>

>I have an m3n78-em motherboard with onboard hdmi and spdif. I have
>had hdmi audi and video working fine for a couple of weeks now but
>decided to switch to the optical port for audio (as I am toying with
>using svga for video).
>

>I can not seem to get the optical spdif port to light up. aplay
>report it as available, it is not muted in alsamixer. I am running
>mythbuntu with alsa upgraded to 1.0.19
>

>Has anyone managed to get digital audio out through spdif on this
>board?
>

>Cheers
>

>Phil

No I have not been able to get the optical SPDIF on the back of this board
working. I seem to have the same situation with alsa / aplay reporting it
as available but no light.

Late last week I experimented a bit with this and remembered I had a
combined optical / coax SPDIF bracket from an earlier motherboard lying
around. The plug an this bracket was not compatible with the new
motherboard, but since I had the pinout for both I was able to connect it
correctly to the internal SPDIF header. And now I have both optical and
coax SPDIF working.

allen.p.edwards at gmail

Feb 2, 2009, 8:04 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:36 AM, <Jens.Peder.Terjesen [at] devoteam> wrote:
> -----Phil Wild wrote: -----
>
>>Hello all,
>>

>>I am back once more with audio issues.
>>

>>I have an m3n78-em motherboard with onboard hdmi and spdif. I have
>>had hdmi audi and video working fine for a couple of weeks now but
>>decided to switch to the optical port for audio (as I am toying with
>>using svga for video).
>>

>>I can not seem to get the optical spdif port to light up. aplay
>>report it as available, it is not muted in alsamixer. I am running
>>mythbuntu with alsa upgraded to 1.0.19
>>

>>Has anyone managed to get digital audio out through spdif on this
>>board?
>>

>>Cheers
>>

>>Phil
>>
> No I have not been able to get the optical SPDIF on the back of this board
> working. I seem to have the same situation with alsa / aplay reporting it as
> available but no light.
>
> Late last week I experimented a bit with this and remembered I had a
> combined optical / coax SPDIF bracket from an earlier motherboard lying
> around. The plug an this bracket was not compatible with the new
> motherboard, but since I had the pinout for both I was able to connect it
> correctly to the internal SPDIF header. And now I have both optical and coax
> SPDIF working.

This is a wag, but have you looked in the bios for some switch?

Allen

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Feb 2, 2009, 8:36 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

-----Allen Edwards wrote: -----
>> -----Phil Wild wrote: -----
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>

>>>I am back once more with audio issues.
>>>

>>>I have an m3n78-em motherboard with onboard hdmi and spdif. I have
>>>had hdmi audi and video working fine for a couple of weeks now but
>>>decided to switch to the optical port for audio (as I am toying
>with
>>>using svga for video).
>>>

>>>I can not seem to get the optical spdif port to light up. aplay
>>>report it as available, it is not muted in alsamixer. I am running
>>>mythbuntu with alsa upgraded to 1.0.19
>>>

>>>Has anyone managed to get digital audio out through spdif on this
>>>board?
>>>

>>>Cheers
>>>

>>>Phil
>>>
>> No I have not been able to get the optical SPDIF on the back of
>this board
>> working. I seem to have the same situation with alsa / aplay
>reporting it as
>> available but no light.
>>
>> Late last week I experimented a bit with this and remembered I had
>> combined optical / coax SPDIF bracket from an earlier motherboard
>lying
>> around. The plug an this bracket was not compatible with the new
>> motherboard, but since I had the pinout for both I was able to
>connect it
>> correctly to the internal SPDIF header. And now I have both optical
>and coax
>> SPDIF working.
>>

>This is a wag, but have you looked in the bios for some switch?
>

>Allen

Yes there is a switch in the BIOS. When set to SPDIF there is no light or
sound from the optical output on the back nor any sound from the onboard
SPDIF header. When setting it to HDMI there is sound from the onboard SPDIF
header.

allen.p.edwards at gmail

Feb 2, 2009, 8:39 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

>>This is a wag, but have you looked in the bios for some switch?
>>

>>Allen
>
> Yes there is a switch in the BIOS. When set to SPDIF there is no light or
> sound from the optical output on the back nor any sound from the onboard
> SPDIF header. When setting it to HDMI there is sound from the onboard SPDIF
> header.

Can I assume the bios has been updated? Does it work with Windows?
Has anyone called or emailed ASUS?

Allen

philwild at gmail

Feb 2, 2009, 3:49 PM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

> >This is a wag, but have you looked in the bios for some switch?
> >

> >Allen
>
> Yes there is a switch in the BIOS. When set to SPDIF there is no light or
> sound from the optical output on the back nor any sound from the onboard
> SPDIF header. When setting it to HDMI there is sound from the onboard SPDIF
> header.
>
> _________________________________

I have seen this and had set it to SPDIF as that seems to make sense. I did
try it the other way around as well with no luck but that was before
updating the bios to the latest version. There was nothing mentioned in the
BIOS release notes about fixing this as an issue but I will try again post
BIOS upgrade.

Cheers
Phil

philwild at gmail

Feb 2, 2009, 3:51 PM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

> Can I assume the bios has been updated? Does it work with Windows?
> Has anyone called or emailed ASUS?
>
> I will email them today. I don't own a Windows version that I can install
on this system so I can't test with Windows...

Cheers
Phil

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Feb 3, 2009, 9:42 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

-----Phil Wild wrote: -----
>>Can I assume the bios has been updated?  Does it work with Windows?
>>

>>Has anyone called or emailed ASUS?
>>

>I will email them today. I don't own a Windows version that I can
>install on this system so I can't test with Windows...
>

>Cheers
>
>Phil

I have managed to get it working!
The kernel module must be loaded with this option:
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

allen.p.edwards at gmail

Feb 3, 2009, 11:54 AM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM, <Jens.Peder.Terjesen [at] devoteam> wrote:

> -----Phil Wild wrote: -----
> >>Can I assume the bios has been updated? Does it work with Windows?
> >>

> >>Has anyone called or emailed ASUS?
> >>

> >I will email them today. I don't own a Windows version that I can
> >install on this system so I can't test with Windows...
> >

> >Cheers
> >
> >Phil
>
> I have managed to get it working!
> The kernel module must be loaded with this option:
> options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Great news. Congratulations!

Would you care to add a little color on how you found this and the exact
changes you made and where to get it working?

Allen

james at thearmstrongs

Feb 3, 2009, 12:05 PM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

> >Cheers
> >
> >Phil
>
> I have managed to get it working!
> The kernel module must be loaded with this option:
> options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

I'll have to try this also. I had everything working HDMI audio out,
but for some reason I now don't have HDMI audio, it is not showed by
aplay or anything. Almost like the driver is not being loaded. I don't
know if it was a yum update or upgrade of the bios (which I went back
to the old version) that did it.

- James

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam

Feb 3, 2009, 12:57 PM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

-----Allen Edwards wrote: -----
>I have managed to get it working!
>

>The kernel module must be loaded with this option:
>

>options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

>mythtv-users [at] mythtv

>Great news.  Congratulations!
>
>Would  you care to add a little color on how  you found this and the
>exact changes  you made and where to get it working?
>

>Allen

I searched for 'ALC1200 alsa' and found the answer on the alsa-user mailing
list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user [at] lists/msg24059.html

Where you make the changes depends on your distribution. I use OpenSuse and
tried to use Yast2, but for some reason it was not able to save the
changes.
I ended up adding this: options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig to:
/etc/modprobe.d/sound

aclose at gmail

Feb 3, 2009, 2:33 PM

Re: spdif and m3n78-em [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM, <Jens.Peder.Terjesen [at] devoteam> wrote:
> -----Allen Edwards wrote: -----
>
>>I have managed to get it working!
>>

>>The kernel module must be loaded with this option:
>>

>>options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig
<snip/>
> I searched for 'ALC1200 alsa' and found the answer on the alsa-user mailing
> list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user [at] lists/msg24059.html
>
> Where you make the changes depends on your distribution. I use OpenSuse and
> tried to use Yast2, but for some reason it was not able to save the changes.
> I ended up adding this: options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig to:
> /etc/modprobe.d/sound

in MythBuntu i added the same line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, or, i
should say, the script i ran to update my alsa drivers added it for
me. :)

--
Andrew Close