Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

How to set up remote access to mythweb?

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


huffcslists at gmail

Dec 6, 2008, 1:26 PM

Post #1 of 20 (6966 views)
Permalink
How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
the firewall.

So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
etc.?

Craig.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


beww at beww

Dec 6, 2008, 1:32 PM

Post #2 of 20 (6915 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?


Have your router/firewall send any port 80 traffic to the Myth box.

Make sure you have some sort of access restriction, or the googlebot will hit
every "delete this file" link and cause bad things to happen. Use a
robots.txt file to discourage the well-behaved robots (not all are
well-behaved) and use at least a .htaccess file to restrict access.

If you have a residential internet account, you will almost certainly be in
violation of your terms of service if you run a server. My ISP routinely
scans for active servers on port 80 and sends nastygrams to offenders. You
might want to consider running on a non-standard port.

--
beww
beww [at] beww
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


fatgerman at ntlworld

Dec 6, 2008, 1:50 PM

Post #3 of 20 (6920 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Saturday 06 December 2008 21:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:

You just need to port forward port 80 to the IP address of your myth box.
If your computers use DHCP to get IP addresses (probably using your firewall/router as a DHCP server?) then it's a good idea to set up the DHCP server so that it always gives your myth box the same IP address. Saves confusion later. :)

All you then need to know is the IP address your ISP has given to your router. Your router ought to be able to tell you this if it has some kind of web-page configuration doodah. You can then access mythweb from anywhere by using http://<router's external IP address>/mythweb.

Definitely at least set a password on mythweb, and if you understand any of apache's other security options use them also. And tell me what you did because I get the urge to kill every time I try to understand it :)

So long as your router is on all the time, its IP address probably won't change, but this will depend on your ISP and the way they configure their DHCP. I've known some ISPs that routinely force changes in IP address, specifically to prevent people running servers without paying extra for fixed addresses. But you learn to live with it... took me 5 minutes to knock up a script to email me whenever my external IP address changes... :)

Mark

> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?
>
> Craig.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


lists at glidos

Dec 6, 2008, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 20 (6911 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Craig Huff wrote:
> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?

You are correct that those are exactly the two features you need. Set
up port forwarding as others have described, plus go to www.dyndns.com
to get a free dynamic dns account, and set up your router to keep it
updated with your changing IP. You'll then have a domain of the form
somethingorother.gotdns.org that you can use to access your myth box.

Cheers,
Paul.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


beww at beww

Dec 6, 2008, 2:19 PM

Post #5 of 20 (6917 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:50:33 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2008 21:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
>
> You just need to port forward port 80 to the IP address of your myth box.
> If your computers use DHCP to get IP addresses (probably using your
> firewall/router as a DHCP server?) then it's a good idea to set up the DHCP
> server so that it always gives your myth box the same IP address. Saves
> confusion later. :)
>
> All you then need to know is the IP address your ISP has given to your
> router. Your router ought to be able to tell you this if it has some kind
> of web-page configuration doodah. You can then access mythweb from anywhere
> by using http://<router's external IP address>/mythweb.
>
> Definitely at least set a password on mythweb, and if you understand any of
> apache's other security options use them also. And tell me what you did
> because I get the urge to kill every time I try to understand it :)
>
> So long as your router is on all the time, its IP address probably won't
> change, but this will depend on your ISP and the way they configure their
> DHCP. I've known some ISPs that routinely force changes in IP address,
> specifically to prevent people running servers without paying extra for
> fixed addresses. But you learn to live with it... took me 5 minutes to
> knock up a script to email me whenever my external IP address changes... :)

A lot of routers, like Linksys, support dynamic DNS, which I think is free for
just 1 or 2 addresses.

But you're correct, usually the IP does not change often, and it's pretty easy
to deal with any changes.

I'd worry most about the ISP getting uppity about running a server. The OP is
probably best off by NOT running on port 80 (or even 8080).

There are some PHP-based security techniques, but you'd have to play with
Mythweb to get them to work. Just watch out for the googlebot. Look for a
thread from long ago "A Visit from the Googlebot".

--
beww
beww [at] beww
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


bobbygill at rogers

Dec 6, 2008, 3:13 PM

Post #6 of 20 (6919 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

I use no-ip, they've got a linux daemon that can check for IP changes at
desired intervals and update your account accordingly, it works a treat.


mythtv-users at kosowsky

Dec 6, 2008, 3:45 PM

Post #7 of 20 (6910 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Brian Wood wrote at about 14:32:10 -0700 on Saturday, December 6, 2008:
> On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
> > Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> > haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
> > have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> > connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
> > behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
> > two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> > not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
> > and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> > incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> > the firewall.
> >
> > So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> > from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> > etc.?
>
>
> Have your router/firewall send any port 80 traffic to the Myth box.
>
> Make sure you have some sort of access restriction, or the googlebot will hit
> every "delete this file" link and cause bad things to happen.

That's hilarious (sorry for laughing) but has this ever happened in
reality to anyone?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


myth at dermanouelian

Dec 6, 2008, 3:50 PM

Post #8 of 20 (6901 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Dec 6, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>> Make sure you have some sort of access restriction, or the
>> googlebot will hit
>> every "delete this file" link and cause bad things to happen.
>
> That's hilarious (sorry for laughing) but has this ever happened in
> reality to anyone?

I promise you it wasn't funny when there was no such thing as a
deleted folder and user's programs were all deleted on them.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


yan at seiner

Dec 6, 2008, 4:51 PM

Post #9 of 20 (6903 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 06 December 2008 14:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:
>
>> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
>> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
>> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
>> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
>> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
>> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
>> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
>> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
>> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
>> the firewall.
>>
>> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
>> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
>> etc.?
>>
>
>
> Have your router/firewall send any port 80 traffic to the Myth box.
>
> Make sure you have some sort of access restriction, or the googlebot will hit
> every "delete this file" link and cause bad things to happen. Use a
> robots.txt file to discourage the well-behaved robots (not all are
> well-behaved) and use at least a .htaccess file to restrict access.
>
> If you have a residential internet account, you will almost certainly be in
> violation of your terms of service if you run a server. My ISP routinely
> scans for active servers on port 80 and sends nastygrams to offenders. You
> might want to consider running on a non-standard port.
>
>
Has anyone put together any docs for getting streaming working with
https? The docs I've seen just say 'also install it with http - which
kind of defeats the purpose.

Is there some sort of minimal apache/mythweb config I can use with http
to enable streaming when I put mythweb on https?

--Yan
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


jan.ceuleers at computer

Dec 7, 2008, 2:25 AM

Post #10 of 20 (6864 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Has anyone put together any docs for getting streaming working with
> https? The docs I've seen just say 'also install it with http - which
> kind of defeats the purpose.

I've done this using Apache's reverse proxy function. I'm staying away
from port forwarding because (although I've never tried it) I think that
this complicates the setup by requiring that the mythweb server listen
on your public IP address.

So what I've done is the following:

- On the broadband router, which also runs Linux, set up a Virtual Host
that listens to port 443 on the IP address of the Internet-facing interface.

- Use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse to shovel requests back and forth
between the Internet and the local network.

- Make sure that the Virtual Host requires SSL. In my case Mythweb
itself (on the home network) does not. So the broadband router does all
of the encryption and decryption. (If you wanted your Mythweb to also
use https then the broadband router would still have to encrypt/decrypt
in order to get to the underlying http requests; in this case it would
have to do so on both sides instead of just on the Internet-facing side)

One of the problems is that Apache wants to be told the IP address it
needs to listen on, which is problematic if it's dynamic. Therefore,
specify that address by means of your dyndns name, and restart Apache
whenever the Internet interface comes up (waiting for your dyndns client
to have had a chance to register the new IP address in DNS).

The above setup works because I built my own broadband router (it's a
Soekris box with a Sangoma ADSL card in it). That is: the machine on
which the Internet-facing PPP session is terminated runs Linux, so that
I can run Apache on that machine without the need for port forwarding.
Something like this might also work in a port forwarding setup but I've
never tried it (and in any event I would want to still set up an Apache
reverse proxy on a separate DMZ, rather than port-forwarding straight to
the Mythweb machine).

But even if you don't want to build your own broadband router most
commercial boxes will allow you to use them as layer-2 devices so that
you can terminate the PPPoE session on a box connected to an Ethernet port.

Some docs:
- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/
- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html
- if you must use port forwarding have a look at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythWeb_ssh_tunnel_howto

Cheers, Jan
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mikep at randomtraveller

Dec 8, 2008, 6:29 AM

Post #11 of 20 (6848 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Craig Huff wrote:
>> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
>> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
>> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
>> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
>> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
>> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
>> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
>> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
>> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
>> the firewall.
>>
>> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
>> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
>> etc.?
>
> You are correct that those are exactly the two features you need. Set
> up port forwarding as others have described, plus go to www.dyndns.com
> to get a free dynamic dns account, and set up your router to keep it
> updated with your changing IP. You'll then have a domain of the form
> somethingorother.gotdns.org that you can use to access your myth box.
>
I would add: choose a different port to 80 for your incoming, and use your
router to forward it to port 80 on your mythweb server. This ensures firstly
that it looks a lot less like a webserver as far as your ISP is concerned, but
the more important point is that your router is probably being banged all day
and night by hostiles trying to find a weak point, and one of the favourite
ports they use is 80 (and 21, 22, 23, 25...).

If their bots get a response to port 80 on your router, someone may take an
interest in you and try to find a weak spot in your setup. Using a different
port doesn't eliminate the risk, but it drops you way down the possibles list.


--

Mike Perkins

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


digitalaudiorock at gmail

Dec 8, 2008, 2:40 PM

Post #12 of 20 (6830 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Yan Seiner <yan [at] seiner> wrote:

> Has anyone put together any docs for getting streaming working with
> https? The docs I've seen just say 'also install it with http - which
> kind of defeats the purpose.
>
> Is there some sort of minimal apache/mythweb config I can use with http
> to enable streaming when I put mythweb on https?
>
> --Yan
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>

I know this isn't what you're asking, but it's a totally different
alternative that's secure and would probably (though I haven't tried)
work with streaming as well...and that's to connect remotely to
mythweb using an ssh tunnel. The downside is that it requires that
the remote machine you're on have some way to create the ssh
tunnel...though I've done it with the linux command line ssh, Putty on
windows, as well as the cygwin version of ssh under Windows. On
windows putty would be the easiest to get going.

Since the tunnel you're running through is via ssh, you can browse via
plain http and it's still secure. Here's an example...

Say you're backend is on 192.168.1.101 on your lan and you've opened
up a machine on you're lan (could be the backend or any that has sshd
running) to external ssh (by properly port forwarding your router) and
are hitting it via my_network.dynalias.com. On a remote machine you
could create an ssh tunnel to the backend...for example:

ssh -L localhost:8888:192.168.1.101:80 my_network.dynalias.com

Note that the 8888 could be whatever local port you want. Once you've
done that you've created a tunnel on localhost port 8888 to port 80 on
the backend, and you can browse to http://localhost:8888/mythweb
securely (even though you're using clear http).

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


kkuphal at gmail

Dec 8, 2008, 2:56 PM

Post #13 of 20 (6813 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists [at] gmail> wrote:

> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this. I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net. My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router. The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots. It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?


If you have even one Windows box on the network, I'd recommend just signing
up for http://www.logmein.com (Free version) on the Windows machine on the
network. No firewall jiggering needed and you just log onto the Windows box
on the LAN and then do what you need to using the browser there. Secure,
fast, and really really easy.

Kevin


mythtv-users at kosowsky

Dec 8, 2008, 3:05 PM

Post #14 of 20 (6826 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

Tom Dexter wrote at about 17:40:46 -0500 on Monday, December 8, 2008:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Yan Seiner <yan [at] seiner> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone put together any docs for getting streaming working with
> > https? The docs I've seen just say 'also install it with http - which
> > kind of defeats the purpose.
> >
> > Is there some sort of minimal apache/mythweb config I can use with http
> > to enable streaming when I put mythweb on https?
> >
> > --Yan
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> > http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
>
> I know this isn't what you're asking, but it's a totally different
> alternative that's secure and would probably (though I haven't tried)
> work with streaming as well...and that's to connect remotely to
> mythweb using an ssh tunnel. The downside is that it requires that
> the remote machine you're on have some way to create the ssh
> tunnel...though I've done it with the linux command line ssh, Putty on
> windows, as well as the cygwin version of ssh under Windows. On
> windows putty would be the easiest to get going.
>
> Since the tunnel you're running through is via ssh, you can browse via
> plain http and it's still secure. Here's an example...
>
> Say you're backend is on 192.168.1.101 on your lan and you've opened
> up a machine on you're lan (could be the backend or any that has sshd
> running) to external ssh (by properly port forwarding your router) and
> are hitting it via my_network.dynalias.com. On a remote machine you
> could create an ssh tunnel to the backend...for example:
>
> ssh -L localhost:8888:192.168.1.101:80 my_network.dynalias.com
>
> Note that the 8888 could be whatever local port you want. Once you've
> done that you've created a tunnel on localhost port 8888 to port 80 on
> the backend, and you can browse to http://localhost:8888/mythweb
> securely (even though you're using clear http).
>

I use ssh (via Putty) to access everything on my server from my
Windows latop whether I am at home, at work, on vacation, or on the
road. It works great and is surprisingly responsive as long as you are
not looking for video or a lot of gui stuff (web pages are fine since
they are mostly static).

I can forward any points that I want and tunnel anything over ssh so
this keeps me from getting blocked as long as I can set up an ssh
connection. It is all so automated for me now that when something
changes or I want to do something different, half the time I forget
that I am even using ssh, so I can't figure out why 127.0.0.1 doesn't
work from away from home....
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


huffcslists at gmail

Dec 8, 2008, 6:18 PM

Post #15 of 20 (6830 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman [at] ntlworld> wrote:
> Definitely at least set a password on mythweb, and if you understand any of apache's other security options use them also. And tell me what you did because I get the urge to kill every time I try to understand it :)
>

Okay, Mark, here's what I did. In case anything is different based on
the distro/version, I did this on FC6 using Apache 2.2.3.

I edited /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf, which I presume was
originally created as part of the MythTV installation. It originally
looked like:
<Directory /var/www/html/mythweb>
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

and I made it look like this:
<Directory /var/www/html/mythweb>
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 192.168.1.
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Satisfy any
AuthType Digest
AuthName "MythTV"
AuthDigestDomain /mythweb/
# AuthDigestFile /var/www/htdigest
AuthUserFile /var/www/htdigest
Require valid-user
</Directory>

Note that the Apache documentation made me think it should be
AuthDigestFile, but httpd failed with an error until I reset it to
AuthUserFile so YMMV. Also, note that /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
contained this line:
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
so I made the AuthDigestDomain directive value relative to this since
the webpages for MythWeb were set up in /var/www/html/mythweb.

Next, I ran htdigest with the command:
#htdigest -c /var/www/htdigest MythTV <internet_login_name>
where <internet_login_name> is whatever username you desire (not
necessarily related to any system userid) and defined the password
that should be supplied when accessing MythWeb from the internet. I
could have added another login user/password pair with:
#htdigest /var/www/htdigest MythTV <second_login_name>
but what do I need more logins for?

Then I set up a temporary port redirection on my firewall/router to
redirect TCP traffic from my firewall/router's DHCP IP address on a
randomly picked high port number, like 8888, to port 80 on my
statically DHCP assigned BE's IP address and tried accessing it.
Success! Well, it was successful after I told the router to enable
the port redirection that I had defined but not enabled, anyway. %)

The URL would be something like http://nn.nn.nn.nn:8888/mythweb where
nn.nn.nn.nn was the router's IP address assigned by the ISP's DHCP
server.

My next step is to try and see if I can get into MythWeb when I'm
*really* outside the firewall by trying from work.

HTH,
Craig.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


huffcslists at gmail

Dec 8, 2008, 6:24 PM

Post #16 of 20 (6807 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists [at] gmail> wrote:
> Okay, Mark, here's what I did. In case anything is different based on
> the distro/version, I did this on FC6 using Apache 2.2.3.
>
Oh. I forgot to mention two things that could be "gotcha"s:

I did all the work after su'ing to root since the files were owned by
root, and I changed the ownership and permissions on /var/www/htdigest
to user=root, group=apache, with 750 permissions.

Good Luck!
Craig.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


digitalaudiorock at gmail

Dec 9, 2008, 7:53 AM

Post #17 of 20 (6798 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
<mythtv-users [at] kosowsky> wrote:
> I use ssh (via Putty) to access everything on my server from my
> Windows latop whether I am at home, at work, on vacation, or on the
> road. It works great and is surprisingly responsive as long as you are
> not looking for video or a lot of gui stuff (web pages are fine since
> they are mostly static).
>
> I can forward any points that I want and tunnel anything over ssh so
> this keeps me from getting blocked as long as I can set up an ssh
> connection. It is all so automated for me now that when something
> changes or I want to do something different, half the time I forget
> that I am even using ssh, so I can't figure out why 127.0.0.1 doesn't
> work from away from home....
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
Yup...ssh tunnels are the best. I'm helping a friend with some
development for a startup co, and we're using ssh tunnels to access
our svn server. It works just great, and you really don't even have
to worry much about the security of the svn server itself as it's not
directly visible to the outside at all. We have ssh running on a
non-standard port and have it restricted to non-root rsa key access
only, which makes for a pretty secure setup.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at corwyn

Dec 9, 2008, 8:35 PM

Post #18 of 20 (6761 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

At 10:53 AM 12/9/2008, Tom Dexter wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
><mythtv-users [at] kosowsky> wrote:
> > I use ssh (via Putty) to access everything on my server from my
> > Windows latop whether I am at home, at work, on vacation, or on the
> > road.

>Yup...ssh tunnels are the best. I'm helping a friend with some
>development for a startup co, and we're using ssh tunnels to access
>our svn server. It works just great, and you really don't even have
>to worry much about the security of the svn server itself as it's not
>directly visible to the outside at all. We have ssh running on a
>non-standard port and have it restricted to non-root rsa key access
>only, which makes for a pretty secure setup.

You should take a look at knockd as well. Layers :-)

Rick




_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Dec 9, 2008, 8:45 PM

Post #19 of 20 (6758 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

On 12/09/2008 11:35 PM, mythtv [at] corwyn wrote:
> You should take a look at knockd as well. Layers :-)

Use SPA (such as fwknop) rather than port knocking.

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mark at boyum

Dec 11, 2008, 9:27 AM

Post #20 of 20 (6720 views)
Permalink
Re: How to set up remote access to mythweb? [In reply to]

>
> Use SPA (such as fwknop) rather than port knocking.
>
> Mike
> _______________________________________________

I went the route of setting up openvpn. Works well to provide secure
access to anything on my home network. There are clients for Windows,
OS X, and Linux.

-Mark
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.