Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Mythweb - search times out. Mysql?

support at ocg

Nov 4, 2008, 7:00 PM

Mythweb - search times out. Mysql?

I have myth working great with EPG data for several TV sources (LOTS of
channels). Whenever I try to do a mythweb search for New Release / movies,
mythweb times out (no page ever appears)

Can someone help figure this out? Assuming it's my mysql timing out, here
is my my.conf:

old_passwords=1

# Optimizations for Myth

key_buffer = 48M

max_allowed_packet = 8M

table_cache = 128

sort_buffer_size = 48M

net_buffer_length = 8M

thread_cache_size = 4

query_cache_type = 1

query_cache_size = 16M

myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

[mysql.server]

user=mysql

basedir=/var/lib

[mysqld_safe]

log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log

pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

myth at dermanouelian

Nov 4, 2008, 7:06 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:00 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:

> I have myth working great with EPG data for several TV sources (LOTS
> of channels). Whenever I try to do a mythweb search for New
> Release / movies, mythweb times out (no page ever appears)

MySQL won't time out. It will keep chugging until it gets results.
Apache is timing out. Check your logs and see if you can set your time
before timing out longer.

beww at beww

Nov 4, 2008, 7:18 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:00 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:
>
>> I have myth working great with EPG data for several TV sources (LOTS
>> of channels). Whenever I try to do a mythweb search for New Release /
>> movies, mythweb times out (no page ever appears)
>
> MySQL won't time out. It will keep chugging until it gets results.
> Apache is timing out. Check your logs and see if you can set your time
> before timing out longer.

With both satellite and cable channels searches like that take a LONG
time for me.

Regularly optimizing the DB seems to help a lot.

beww

support at ocg

Nov 4, 2008, 7:22 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

Could you reply with how to optimize the DB?

I tried increasing the timeout value in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to 240
seconds...still timing out!

-M-

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:00 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:
>
>> I have myth working great with EPG data for several TV sources (LOTS
>> of channels). Whenever I try to do a mythweb search for New Release /
>> movies, mythweb times out (no page ever appears)
>
> MySQL won't time out. It will keep chugging until it gets results.
> Apache is timing out. Check your logs and see if you can set your time
> before timing out longer.

With both satellite and cable channels searches like that take a LONG
time for me.

Regularly optimizing the DB seems to help a lot.

beww

mtdean at thirdcontact

Nov 4, 2008, 7:34 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

On 11/04/2008 10:22 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:
> From: Brian Wood
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> MySQL won't time out. It will keep chugging until it gets results.
>>> Apache is timing out. Check your logs and see if you can set your time
>>> before timing out longer.
>> With both satellite and cable channels searches like that take a LONG
>> time for me.
>>
>> Regularly optimizing the DB seems to help a lot.
> Could you reply with how to optimize the DB?

Run the script optimize_mythdb.pl from the contrib directory of the
source distribution (probably installed somewhere on your system by your
packages).

> I tried increasing the timeout value in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to 240
> seconds...still timing out!

It's quite possible that it's not a timeout, but is a problem with PHP
running out of memory. Try increasing the PHP memory limit (search the
list for how, as I don't remember and don't feel like fighting the hotel
Internet to find it myself).

Mike

myth at dermanouelian

Nov 4, 2008, 7:49 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> I tried increasing the timeout value in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>> to 240
>> seconds...still timing out!
>>

> It's quite possible that it's not a timeout, but is a problem with PHP
> running out of memory. Try increasing the PHP memory limit (search
> the
> list for how, as I don't remember and don't feel like fighting the
> hotel
> Internet to find it myself).

Change

php_value memory_limit 64M

in /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf to something bigger.

However, again, your apache logs will hold the key to what the problem
DEFINITELY is instead of guessing.

support at ocg

Nov 4, 2008, 8:03 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

Sure enough the http log shows php is out of memory.

I don't have /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf (or any mythweb.conf) file. I
have a /etc/php.ini which I increase to 64M.

Should there be a mythweb.conf file?

I'll try this soon.

On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> I tried increasing the timeout value in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>> to 240
>> seconds...still timing out!
>>

> It's quite possible that it's not a timeout, but is a problem with PHP
> running out of memory. Try increasing the PHP memory limit (search
> the
> list for how, as I don't remember and don't feel like fighting the
> hotel
> Internet to find it myself).

Change

php_value memory_limit 64M

in /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf to something bigger.

However, again, your apache logs will hold the key to what the problem
DEFINITELY is instead of guessing.

myth at dermanouelian

Nov 4, 2008, 8:10 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:03 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:

> Sure enough the http log shows php is out of memory.
>
> I don't have /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf (or any mythweb.conf)
> file. I
> have a /etc/php.ini which I increase to 64M.
>
> Should there be a mythweb.conf file?
>
> I'll try this soon.

The preferred and supported way to define mythweb configuration is
with the mythweb.conf file (according to the install instructions) so
I assumed you had it installed that way. However, you can install and
configure it any way you please - it's your system.

support at ocg

Nov 4, 2008, 8:13 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

Well...I have php.ini set as follows:
memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

But my http log shows:
[Tue Nov 04 23:07:43 2008] [error] [client 172.31.254.64] PHP Fatal error:
Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes)
in /var/www/html/mythweb/modules/tv/includes/objects/Program.php on line 291
Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 22 bytes)

I edited the /etc/php.ini settings but it obviously is not having an effect.
Any ideas why the 64MB setting is not being picked up? Is there a 32MB max?
Or am I editing the wong file

I checked /etc/httpd/conf.d/ and there is no mythweb.conf there...or
anywhere.

Ideas?

Thanks

On Nov 4, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> I tried increasing the timeout value in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>> to 240
>> seconds...still timing out!
>>

> It's quite possible that it's not a timeout, but is a problem with PHP
> running out of memory. Try increasing the PHP memory limit (search
> the
> list for how, as I don't remember and don't feel like fighting the
> hotel
> Internet to find it myself).

Change

php_value memory_limit 64M

in /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf to something bigger.

However, again, your apache logs will hold the key to what the problem
DEFINITELY is instead of guessing.

myth at dermanouelian

Nov 4, 2008, 8:41 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

On Nov 4, 2008, at 8:13 PM, OCG Technical Support wrote:

> Well...I have php.ini set as follows:
> memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may
> consume

Did you restart apache after you made the change?

ylee at pobox

Nov 4, 2008, 11:26 PM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

OCG Technical Support <support [at] ocg> says:
> Whenever I try to do a mythweb search for New Release / movies,
> mythweb times out (no page ever appears)

<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/267138#267138>.
Note that .htaccess is now mythweb.conf.

(As for the mythfrontend-side limit I mention,
<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4626>.)

--
Frontend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6

support at ocg

Nov 5, 2008, 4:17 AM

Re: Mythweb - search times out. Mysql? [In reply to]

That did it! It turns out that my system has an .htaccess file in the
/var/www/html/mythweb folder. My system is based on Fedora 6 - so perhaps
the apache server / myth install didn't use mythweb.conf.

Thanks