Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box

memmott at gmail

Oct 4, 2008, 11:58 AM

OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box

Hope I don't ruffle any feathers since it's not strictly Myth related but I
see so many requests around Netflix that I thought I'd share. Using a beta
piece of not-free software for Windows called PlayOn (
http://www.themediamall.com/playon) and XBMC on my Myth box I'm reliably
streaming my Instant Watch Netflix queue over UPnP.

My Myth box is Mythbuntu 7.10 updated to Myth .21. Using the instructions at
xbmc.org I enabled the repositories for Ubuntu 7.10 and installed xbmc
Atlantis beta 1 along with scripts and themes using Synaptic. I enabled uPNP
and was able to add my Windows box as a UPnP source. From there I was able
to stream Netflix as well as Hulu and Youtube on my TV without issue.

It's a kludge and requires Windows, but it does work.Plus, PlayOn is neither
free as in beer or speech. If you've got a Windows box on your network it's
a very easy one-time install (so long as you've installed the Netflix
player), so it could be thrown on some random machine and forgotten (if
you're like me and have such things at your house). I wonder if one would
be able to virtualize an instance of Windows on their Mythbox and use that
as the 'backend' for the stream. I was able to streamline things a bit and
launch XBMC from within myth by modifying one of the Mythtv menu xml files
at /usr/share/mythtv/.

Again there's a lot of closed source trickery going on here and I don't want
to anger anybody on this list, i just thought it would be helpful for people
like me who want that magic bridge between the computer and the living room
TV. I also don't know enough about Myth's UPnP client capabilities, I used
xbmc because I've been using it for years and am familiar with it.If there's
a way to accomplish this without the xbmc piece I'd love to hear about it,
it would be awesome if you could create new channels for Hulu, Netflix,
YouTube, etc.

- Matt

jason0x21 at gmail

Oct 7, 2008, 7:46 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hope I don't ruffle any feathers since it's not strictly Myth related but I
> see so many requests around Netflix that I thought I'd share. Using a beta
> piece of not-free software for Windows called PlayOn
> (http://www.themediamall.com/playon) and XBMC on my Myth box I'm reliably
> streaming my Instant Watch Netflix queue over UPnP.

No feathers ruffled here. I'm intrigued. Is XBMC required for this,
or can MythTV be a UPnP client without it?
XBMC seems a lot to install just to be a client with many of the
features already in the MythTV frontend. Or am I missing something
here?

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 [at] gmail

memmott at gmail

Oct 7, 2008, 9:42 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 [at] gmail> wrote:

> No feathers ruffled here. I'm intrigued. Is XBMC required for this,
> or can MythTV be a UPnP client without it?
> XBMC seems a lot to install just to be a client with many of the
> features already in the MythTV frontend. Or am I missing something
> here?
>
> --

XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than Myth.
The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic and
mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in the
way of core functionality than Myth. I am also curious if Myth can be a uPNP
client, I really haven't put much research into it though since most of my
non-tv related functions have been relegated to XBMC.

jedi at mishnet

Oct 7, 2008, 3:33 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 [at] gmail> wrote:
>

> > No feathers ruffled here. I'm intrigued. Is XBMC required for this,
> > or can MythTV be a UPnP client without it?
> > XBMC seems a lot to install just to be a client with many of the
> > features already in the MythTV frontend. Or am I missing something
> > here?
> >
> > --
>

> XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than Myth.
> The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic and
> mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in the

Well, how exactly?

We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
until they make some improvements... '-)

> way of core functionality than Myth. I am also curious if Myth can be a uPNP
> client, I really haven't put much research into it though since most of my
> non-tv related functions have been relegated to XBMC.

myth at dermanouelian

Oct 7, 2008, 3:40 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:33 PM, jedi wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Matt Emmott wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Jason Sullivan
>> <jason0x21 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>>> No feathers ruffled here. I'm intrigued. Is XBMC required for
>>> this,
>>> or can MythTV be a UPnP client without it?
>>> XBMC seems a lot to install just to be a client with many of the
>>> features already in the MythTV frontend. Or am I missing something
>>> here?
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video
>> than Myth.
>> The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than
>> mythmusic and
>> mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much
>> more in the
>
> Well, how exactly?
>
> We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> until they make some improvements... '-)

They've already cornered themselves in their respective rooms and are
redesigning the entire foundation the UI is built on.

shannon.timothy at gmail

Oct 7, 2008, 4:08 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

Is this a serious comment. I'm always excited to hear about future
development on MythTv.

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth [at] dermanouelian>wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:33 PM, jedi wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:42:47PM -0400, Matt Emmott wrote:

> >> XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video
> >> than Myth.
> >> The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than
> >> mythmusic and
> >> mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much
> >> more in the
> >
> > Well, how exactly?
> >
> > We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> > until they make some improvements... '-)
>
> They've already cornered themselves in their respective rooms and are
> redesigning the entire foundation the UI is built on.

myth at dermanouelian

Oct 7, 2008, 5:40 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Oct 7, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Tim Shannon wrote:

> Is this a serious comment. I'm always excited to hear about future
> development on MythTv.

Yes. Follow the dev list if you're interested in the development of
MythTV.

memmott at gmail

Oct 7, 2008, 6:01 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:

> > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than
> Myth.
> > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic
> and
> > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in
> the
>
> Well, how exactly?
>
> We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> until they make some improvements... '-)

First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or its
developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product and
I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards other
than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
wonderful product in return.

That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will throw
any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv /
Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations.
Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
fly without need for a third-party scraper.

Obviously the XBMC folks have had a head start. Since, until recently,
everything was developed for the same platform (the 733MHZ) Xbox, they could
focus more on usability than compatibility. But I love the product and don't
see myself using anything else for music / movies on the big screen for
quite some time.

linuxdreas at dslextreme

Oct 7, 2008, 6:27 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

Am Saturday 04 October 2008 11:58:19 schrieb Matt Emmott:
> I was able to streamline things a bit
> and launch XBMC from within myth by modifying one of the Mythtv menu xml
> files at /usr/share/mythtv/.

Would you mind sharing the modified xml files? I'd very much like to have an
alternative for a few Myth plugins, especially for MythMusic.

--
Gruß
Andreas

myth at dermanouelian

Oct 7, 2008, 6:41 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Oct 7, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
>

> > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video
> than Myth.
> > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than
> mythmusic and
> > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much
> more in the
>
> Well, how exactly?
>
> We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> until they make some improvements... '-)
>
> First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth
> or its developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with
> this product and I don't pretend to know the first thing about
> programming. Not to mention they do it for no money and the only
> thing I've ever put money towards other than hardware is a Schedules
> Direct subscription, andhave received a wonderful product in return.
>
> That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic &
> Mythdvd are just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is
> (for the most part) pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but
> for the most part will throw any video format thrown at it, be it an
> ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv / Quicktime / etc. On the audio
> side it plays all the happy formats you'd expect, offers a library
> option to index all your songs, will read iTunes DAAP data and
> playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations. Oh,
> and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on
> the fly without need for a third-party scraper.

I'm not going to pretend I know how xbmc works, but I *guarantee* it
pulls the CD and DVD cover art from some 3rd party site.

> Obviously the XBMC folks have had a head start. Since, until
> recently, everything was developed for the same platform (the
> 733MHZ) Xbox, they could focus more on usability than compatibility.
> But I love the product and don't see myself using anything else for
> music / movies on the big screen for quite some time.

We all know the UI sucks. It's being redone. Honestly.

jedi at mishnet

Oct 7, 2008, 7:54 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:01:30PM -0400, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
>

> > > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than
> > Myth.
> > > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic
> > and
> > > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in
> > the
> >
> > Well, how exactly?
> >
> > We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> > until they make some improvements... '-)
> >

> First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or its
> developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product and
> I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
> they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards other
> than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
> wonderful product in return.
>
> That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
> just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
> pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will throw
> any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv /
> Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
> expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
> DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations.
> Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
> fly without need for a third-party scraper.

Beyond the just-in-time metadata management, I am not sure you've
identified anything beyond good looks that XBMC that MythVideo and
MythMusic doesn't already do.

[deletia]

memmott at gmail

Oct 8, 2008, 6:14 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Andreas <linuxdreas [at] dslextreme> wrote:
Am Saturday 04 October 2008 11:58:19 schrieb Matt Emmott:
> I was able to streamline things a bit
> and launch XBMC from within myth by modifying one of the Mythtv menu xml
> files at /usr/share/mythtv/.

Would you mind sharing the modified xml files? I'd very much like to have an
alternative for a few Myth plugins, especially for MythMusic.

Sure, although it's not up to date. This xml file points to a pre-alpha
manual build of XBMC. The new beta puts a link right in /usr/bin I believe,
so you'd just need to modify the action line.. Here's the code I put into
/usr/share/mythtv/util_menu.xml:

<button>
<type>XBMC</type>
<text>XBMC</text>
<action>EXEC /home/matt/Xbox/xbmc.bin -q</action>
</button>

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:54 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:

> Beyond the just-in-time metadata management, I am not sure you've
> identified anything beyond good looks that XBMC that MythVideo and
> MythMusic doesn't already do.

I'm not sure if I claimed it did anything else, did I? It's just a much
better experience than Myth* in both usability and functionality. The Myth
components for the most part work, but they're not something I could hand
over to mom and say have fun. XBMC I can (and have).

kkuphal at gmail

Oct 8, 2008, 11:20 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
>

>> > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than
>> Myth.
>> > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic
>> and
>> > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in
>> the
>>
>> Well, how exactly?
>>
>> We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
>> until they make some improvements... '-)
>>

> First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or its
> developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product and
> I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
> they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards other
> than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
> wonderful product in return.
>
> That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
> just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
> pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will throw
> any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv /
> Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
> expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
> DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations.
> Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
> fly without need for a third-party scraper.
>
> Obviously the XBMC folks have had a head start. Since, until recently,
> everything was developed for the same platform (the 733MHZ) Xbox, they could
> focus more on usability than compatibility. But I love the product and don't
> see myself using anything else for music / movies on the big screen for
> quite some time.

One thing to remember. XBMC is not a PVR. It does not record, just plays
back. If you remove the PVR part of MythTV, you have MythVideo which stacks
up comparably. Because MythVideo is an add-on to MythTV, not the core, you
can expect a little bit of difference in how they handle content.

Kevin

kkuphal at gmail

Oct 8, 2008, 11:20 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:
>

>> > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than
>> Myth.
>> > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic
>> and
>> > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in
>> the
>>
>> Well, how exactly?
>>
>> We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
>> until they make some improvements... '-)
>>

> First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or its
> developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product and
> I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
> they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards other
> than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
> wonderful product in return.
>
> That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
> just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
> pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will throw
> any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv /
> Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
> expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
> DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations.
> Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
> fly without need for a third-party scraper.
>
> Obviously the XBMC folks have had a head start. Since, until recently,
> everything was developed for the same platform (the 733MHZ) Xbox, they could
> focus more on usability than compatibility. But I love the product and don't
> see myself using anything else for music / movies on the big screen for
> quite some time.

One thing to remember. XBMC is not a PVR. It does not record, just plays
back. If you remove the PVR part of MythTV, you have MythVideo which stacks
up comparably. Because MythVideo is an add-on to MythTV, not the core, you
can expect a little bit of difference in how they handle content.

Kevin

willyboyd at gmail

Oct 10, 2008, 8:57 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:

> than
> > > Myth.
> mythmusic
> > > and
> in
> > > the
> > >
> > > Well, how exactly?
> > >
> > > We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> > > until they make some improvements... '-)
> > >

> > First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or
> its
> > developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product
> and
> > I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
> > they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards
> other
> > than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
> > wonderful product in return.
> >
> > That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
> > just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
> > pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will
> throw
> > any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv
> /
> > Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
> > expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
> > DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen
> visualizations.
> > Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
> > fly without need for a third-party scraper.
>
> Beyond the just-in-time metadata management, I am not sure you've
> identified anything beyond good looks that XBMC that MythVideo and
> MythMusic doesn't already do.

First let me say, like the other poster, I have utmost respect for the
MythTV devs and hands-down, the PVR functionality of Myth is top-notch and
have served me extremely well for quite a few years. I don't remember the
first version I hopped on Myth, but numbers like 0.13 or 0.15 sound familiar
(??)

But I also discovered XBMC just recently, and it has now completely replaced
all but the PVR functionality on my mythbox. I removed the menu entries for
MythVideo, MythMusic, the optical dvd/cd entries, etc. XBMC runs freakin'
circles around Myth in that department. I really don't want to offend but
it is true.

And it's frustrating when some want to diminish improvements in an interface
to just "looking pretty".

The media "areas" in XBMC are built around sources. It's quite easy and
intuitive to "add a source" for music or videos right from the GUI. That
sound can not only be a local directory, but a SMB share, UPnP server,
Shoutcast in the case of audio, and I think there are others. I'm a pretty
adept linux guy so all my network shares are defined in fstab, but this
makes it so much easier for others to use.

A source can also be a plugin that serves up content, and one of the default
plugins that came with the OSX version of XBMC is one that lists Apple Movie
Trailers, complete with all the metadata. I promptly copied the plugin over
the the linux boxin the livingroom and it works like a dream there, too. (I
can't honestly think of why it's included in one platform version and not
all?).

Yeah I know about Mythstream and I've played with it.. played with options
to do some of the above over the years... but it all feels like a big kludge
compared to XBMC.

Music stays playing throughout the entire interface, with a really nice
overlay dialog that shows cover art
and current track, next track, etc. Myth only recently started supporting
this; I think the XBMC execution is better but at the least they're on par
there. As for video playing, you can also exit out to top-level menus and
this overlay shows a miniture video player with the video playing. Kind of
like the Program Guide does in Myth, but again throughout the interface and
for any video playing session (TMK).

I, like many others, have had no shortage of dvd viewing problems with
MythVideo, and like many others, this is frustrating because I took out my
real dvd player a long while ago to rely on this one "mythical convergence
box" to do it all for me. First I moved to a xml menu item for launching
xine, and now I've thrown several movies at XBMC so far with not a single
issue. We'll see if this remains the case. (Anyone know of specific movies
that still give Myth the fits, speak up! I'd love a good comparison test).

Sure the interface DOES look really nice. The default skin and some of the
others I've downloaded look amazing. It's all full OpenGL rendered, and all
the animations and transitions are very very smooth. Audio feedback on most
actions (which can be turned off). And nice looking skins tells me one very
important thing: the skinning architecture for XBMC must be very solid for
there to be such high-quality work being done. Even some of the best skins
I've used on MythTV are sometimes missing pieces or have issues on
un-official plugins. I can download any media source plugin for XBMC and
pretty much except it to work smooth as butter like the rest of the app.

Again, no offense to anyone, but I'm not apologetic about my opinions of
XBMC either. There is nothing wrong with using the best tool available. I
wouldn't be a linux user if I didn't feel that way. PVR? MythTV all the
way. Media player? XBMC trumps MythVideo, MythMusic, DVD playing, etc.
Period.

xavier.hervy at bluebottle

Oct 10, 2008, 9:27 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 10:57 -0500, Willy Boyd wrote:
[snip]

> The media "areas" in XBMC are built around sources. It's quite easy
> and intuitive to "add a source" for music or videos right from the
> GUI. That sound can not only be a local directory, but a SMB share,
> UPnP server, Shoutcast in the case of audio, and I think there are
> others. I'm a pretty adept linux guy so all my network shares are
> defined in fstab, but this makes it so much easier for others to use.
That is definitly something missing in MythTV, I can't be agree more.
Every time someone want to access to a new source, they create a new
plugin, with a new interface (and different by the way) to browse them
which lead to an inconsistent UI. When source plugin should be a better
solution.

> A source can also be a plugin that serves up content, and one of the
> default plugins that came with the OSX version of XBMC is one that
> lists Apple Movie Trailers, complete with all the metadata. I
> promptly copied the plugin over the the linux boxin the livingroom and
> it works like a dream there, too. (I can't honestly think of why it's
> included in one platform version and not all?).
[snip]
> Sure the interface DOES look really nice. The default skin and some
> of the others I've downloaded look amazing. It's all full OpenGL
> rendered, and all the animations and transitions are very very smooth.
> Audio feedback on most actions (which can be turned off). And nice
> looking skins tells me one very important thing: the skinning
> architecture for XBMC must be very solid for there to be such
> high-quality work being done. Even some of the best skins I've used
> on MythTV are sometimes missing pieces or have issues on un-official
> plugins. I can download any media source plugin for XBMC and pretty
> much except it to work smooth as butter like the rest of the app.
I find the theming a bit frustrating too. Some themes hide some features
because they don't implement some new functionalities. Maybe the theme
should be split in two part, one which define the look and feel of basic
widget(color, font, background) and one for the layout itself. The
layout one could have a version number, if it does match the plugin
version, the default layout would be use (the one with all features)
Some kind of hard to implement though.
I believe with source plugins, new UI wouldn't happen as much anyway.

> Again, no offense to anyone, but I'm not apologetic about my opinions
> of XBMC either. There is nothing wrong with using the best tool
> available. I wouldn't be a linux user if I didn't feel that way.
> PVR? MythTV all the way. Media player? XBMC trumps MythVideo,
> MythMusic, DVD playing, etc. Period.

I Need to try it then ;)
Xavier

jedi at mishnet

Oct 10, 2008, 10:00 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:57:43AM -0500, Willy Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM, jedi <jedi [at] mishnet> wrote:

> > than
> > mythmusic
> > in

> > > First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or
> > its
> > > developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product
> > and
> > > I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
> > > they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards
> > other
> > > than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
> > > wonderful product in return.
> > >
> > > That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
> > > just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
> > > pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will
> > throw
> > > any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv
> > /
> > > Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
> > > expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
> > > DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen
> > visualizations.
> > > Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
> > > fly without need for a third-party scraper.
> >
> > Beyond the just-in-time metadata management, I am not sure you've
> > identified anything beyond good looks that XBMC that MythVideo and
> > MythMusic doesn't already do.
> >

> First let me say, like the other poster, I have utmost respect for the
> MythTV devs and hands-down, the PVR functionality of Myth is top-notch and
> have served me extremely well for quite a few years. I don't remember the
> first version I hopped on Myth, but numbers like 0.13 or 0.15 sound familiar
> (??)
>
> But I also discovered XBMC just recently, and it has now completely replaced
> all but the PVR functionality on my mythbox. I removed the menu entries for
> MythVideo, MythMusic, the optical dvd/cd entries, etc. XBMC runs freakin'
> circles around Myth in that department. I really don't want to offend but
> it is true.
>
> And it's frustrating when some want to diminish improvements in an interface
> to just "looking pretty".

Depending on how things are stated, that's any easy mistake to make.

> The media "areas" in XBMC are built around sources. It's quite easy and
> intuitive to "add a source" for music or videos right from the GUI. That
> sound can not only be a local directory, but a SMB share, UPnP server,
> Shoutcast in the case of audio, and I think there are others. I'm a pretty
> adept linux guy so all my network shares are defined in fstab, but this
> makes it so much easier for others to use.

This is a good bit of information. It might plant the kernel of an
idea in the right minds.

> A source can also be a plugin that serves up content, and one of the default
> plugins that came with the OSX version of XBMC is one that lists Apple Movie
> Trailers, complete with all the metadata. I promptly copied the plugin over
> the the linux boxin the livingroom and it works like a dream there, too. (I
> can't honestly think of why it's included in one platform version and not
> all?).
>
> Yeah I know about Mythstream and I've played with it.. played with options
> to do some of the above over the years... but it all feels like a big kludge
> compared to XBMC.
>
> Music stays playing throughout the entire interface, with a really nice
> overlay dialog that shows cover art
> and current track, next track, etc. Myth only recently started supporting
> this; I think the XBMC execution is better but at the least they're on par
> there. As for video playing, you can also exit out to top-level menus and
> this overlay shows a miniture video player with the video playing. Kind of
> like the Program Guide does in Myth, but again throughout the interface and
> for any video playing session (TMK).
>
> I, like many others, have had no shortage of dvd viewing problems with
> MythVideo, and like many others, this is frustrating because I took out my

Well, a lot of us quickly punt the internal player. You'll get no
argument there. I use xine and some extra bash mojo to deal with my
overstuffed virtual jukebox.

> real dvd player a long while ago to rely on this one "mythical convergence
> box" to do it all for me. First I moved to a xml menu item for launching
> xine, and now I've thrown several movies at XBMC so far with not a single
> issue. We'll see if this remains the case. (Anyone know of specific movies
> that still give Myth the fits, speak up! I'd love a good comparison test).

I gave up on physical media as soon as I deployed MythTV, so that
has always been considerably less of an issue for me. Although, I have
had very few problems in general with DVD's. They usually come down to
poor build quality that causes problems across the board and the
occasional arcos issue.

[deletia]

Fresh ideas (with details) are always welcome.

cmisipster at gmail

Oct 12, 2008, 6:11 PM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

I just tried playon in a vmware virtual machine of Windows XP Home and it
works. XBMC's upnp client picked it up. Finally a way to play Netflix
Watch Now videos in Linux. Now to find a stable xbmc version.

I wish Myth had a upnp client.

Chris

ejshoor at yahoo

Oct 30, 2008, 5:19 AM

Re: OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box [In reply to]

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott[at]gmail.com> wrote:
> Hope I don't ruffle any feathers since it's not strictly Myth related
> but I see so many requests around Netflix that I thought I'd share.
> Using a beta piece of not-free software for Windows called PlayOn (
> http://www.themediamall.com/playon) and XBMC on my Myth box I'm reliably
> streaming my Instant Watch Netflix queue over UPnP.

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get this to work with a non-XBMC approach. I was able to use djmount to mount the upnp content as a virtual drive, but when I use the Video Manger to load the new content, it hangs on loading and eventually Mythfrontend crashes after a few hours.

I am not surprised that it is taking alot of time to load the new content since PlayOn offers alot between CBS, Hulu, ESPN, etc. However, in trying to diagnose the bottleneck, I noticed my myth box is performing fine - cpu untilization, memory, bandwith all look very low. However, on my windows box, the PlayOn executable is pegging the cpu.