Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 4:41 AM

Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional frontend.
I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.

In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.

However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo sound. If
I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.

Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?

ctreleaven at cogeco

Aug 9, 2008, 5:58 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

At 1:41 PM +0200 8/9/08, Jarle Thorsen wrote:
>I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional frontend.
>I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.
>
>In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
>passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.
>
>However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo sound. If
>I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.
>
>Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?

Are you running under Mac OS X, Linux, or I suppose even Windows is now an option. Which version of Myth?

Craig

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 6:23 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Hi

2008/8/9 Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco>:
> Are you running under Mac OS X, Linux, or I suppose even Windows is now an option. Which version of Myth?

If he's using ALSA you can safely assume he's using Linux.
There's no ALSA on macos X or Windows.

ctreleaven at cogeco

Aug 9, 2008, 6:46 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

At 11:23 PM +1000 8/9/08, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>2008/8/9 Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco>:
>> Are you running under Mac OS X, Linux, or I suppose even Windows is now an option. Which version of Myth?
>
>If he's using ALSA you can safely assume he's using Linux.
>There's no ALSA on macos X or Windows.

And yet, if he is running Mac OS X, trying to use AlSA would explain why sound isn't working!

allen.edwards at oldpaloalto

Aug 9, 2008, 8:38 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional frontend.
> I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.
>
> In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
> passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.
>
> However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo sound. If
> I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.
>
> Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?

I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
my system I did the following:
1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio. I think this is with Fedora.
3) Sound ALSA:default
4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer

In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
you are dead. The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
work great.

Allen

meatwad2021 at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 10:03 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional frontend.
> I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.
>
> In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
> passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.
>
> However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo sound. If
> I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.
>
> Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?

Graham Booker is a lead dev with Perian. Have a look at his analysis of
the problem at his blog http://www.cod3r.com/tag/ac3/

The AppleTV does perform proper passthrough with it's much earlier
flavor of Quicktime, presumably to allow for true DD with HD rentals.

Graham strongly recommends that anyone affected file a bug with Apple -
he provides links in his posts.

--
mw

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 3:00 PM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Saturday 09 August 2008 14:58:23 Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Are you running under Mac OS X, Linux, or I suppose even Windows is now an
> option. Which version of Myth?

I'm running mythbuntu (linux) with Myth version 0.21-fixes.

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 3:13 PM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Saturday 09 August 2008 17:38:09 Allen Edwards wrote:
> I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
> my system I did the following:
> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio. I think this is with Fedora.
> 3) Sound ALSA:default
> 4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
> 5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
>

> In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
> you are dead. The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
> work great.

I haven't tried #1 yet, will give it a try and see if it makes any difference.

I had it set to 5.1 and when I set it to Stereo at least I got a lot of black
NOISE, at least I got some sound for a change...

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 9, 2008, 7:56 PM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Hi

2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen [at] gmail>:
> I'm running mythbuntu (linux) with Myth version 0.21-fixes.

How do you find the playback quality?

I was first running CentOS 5.2, but the intel video drive was very
unstable and I would get X crashing very often, actually not crashing
per se but the screen would turn black and the only way to get a
picture would be to reboot again.

Now running Fedora 9, however the video playback isn't 100% smooth.
Even though the CPU usage never goes over 45% when playing 1080i DVB-T
material, you can see the refresh line in fast moving scene.....
The same thing happen with both Myth and playing videos with mplayer.

Running Linux 64 bits version...

Are you experiencing similar issues? if not, could you post your setup ?

Thanks
Jean-Yves

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 10, 2008, 4:58 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Sunday 10 August 2008 04:56:16 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen [at] gmail>:
> > I'm running mythbuntu (linux) with Myth version 0.21-fixes.
>
> How do you find the playback quality?
>
> I was first running CentOS 5.2, but the intel video drive was very
> unstable and I would get X crashing very often, actually not crashing
> per se but the screen would turn black and the only way to get a
> picture would be to reboot again.
>
> Now running Fedora 9, however the video playback isn't 100% smooth.
> Even though the CPU usage never goes over 45% when playing 1080i DVB-T
> material, you can see the refresh line in fast moving scene.....
> The same thing happen with both Myth and playing videos with mplayer.
>
> Running Linux 64 bits version...
>
> Are you experiencing similar issues? if not, could you post your setup ?

I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can not
get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend that is
located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems with the actual
video playback yet though...

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 10, 2008, 5:10 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Hi

2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen [at] gmail>:

> I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can not
> get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend that is
> located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems with the actual
> video playback yet though...

I have instally Mythbuntu 32bits in place of Fedora 9 x64, and the
picture quality is now amazing ... now more refresh issue and this is
with the stock configuration, didn't play with the settings at all.

In MythTV, did you set the default output to be: ALSA:spdif for the
pass-through device?

Could you report the result of the command aplay -l

mine show this:
avenardj [at] mythlivin:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I haven't tried to set up digital output on my mac mini
however I have it running on the PC in my cinema room running CentOS 5.2
now it works automatically, with just the ALSAI:spdif configuration in mythtv

However, earlier on I had to configure the ~/.asoundrc file
Here is a copy of my file:
http://www.hydrix.com/mythtv/.asoundrc
the only thing you would have to change is:

pcm.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 4
}
with whatever is reported by aplay -l
here I have device 4
because it reports on the machine:
[mythtv [at] htp ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

the mini here report that it should be device 1, so change it for:
pcm.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

But my guess is that ALSA:spdif should be sufficient to get it working

Play also with alsamixer, sometimes it weird, you need to toggle the
mute on/off a few times before it starts working, same, try to reduce
the volume level to 0 ...

Jean-Yves

allen.edwards at oldpaloalto

Aug 10, 2008, 8:11 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008 17:38:09 Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
>> my system I did the following:
>> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
>> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio. I think this is with Fedora.
>> 3) Sound ALSA:default
>> 4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
>> 5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
>> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
>>

>> In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
>> you are dead. The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
>> work great.
>
> I haven't tried #1 yet, will give it a try and see if it makes any difference.
>
> I had it set to 5.1 and when I set it to Stereo at least I got a lot of black
> NOISE, at least I got some sound for a change...

You are making progress! The 5.1 setting is broken so that has to be
set to stereo and, as the documentation says, you still get 5.1 even
though it says stereo.

You are getting noise out. I assume this is digital noise going out the
analog output. When that happened to me, it was because I had the
output setting to digital. If you are in fact trying to get analog
audio out, you should set myth to ALSA:default and make sure that ALSA
is not set up for a digital output as the default. Like I said, the
easiest way to do that is to remove the config files.

Allen

dlinvill at networksdown

Aug 10, 2008, 8:11 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Allen Edwards <
allen.edwards [at] oldpaloalto> wrote:

> Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> > I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional
> frontend.
> > I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.
> >
> > In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
> > passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.
> >
> > However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo
> sound. If
> > I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.
> >
> > Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?
>
> I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
> my system I did the following:
> 1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
> 2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio. I think this is with Fedora.
> 3) Sound ALSA:default
> 4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
> 5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
> 6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer
>

> In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
> you are dead. The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
> work great.

The above settings work for me in mythbuntu.

I've also noticed that occasionally a full power off is needed if my changes
don't seem to be sticking. I think the hardware can get wedged and I'll
start gettting the clicking passthrough sound. A reboot would clear that
out with no config changes.

It's been a while since I had the problems but I have a script with the
following commands that I believe helped me reset also without the reboot:

sudo rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
sudo rmmod snd-hda-intel
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
amixer set Master 80% mute
amixer set Front 80% mute
amixer set IEC958 100% unmute
sudo alsactl store

David

allen.edwards at oldpaloalto

Aug 10, 2008, 8:13 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008 04:56:16 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen [at] gmail>:
>>> I'm running mythbuntu (linux) with Myth version 0.21-fixes.
>> How do you find the playback quality?
>>
>> I was first running CentOS 5.2, but the intel video drive was very
>> unstable and I would get X crashing very often, actually not crashing
>> per se but the screen would turn black and the only way to get a
>> picture would be to reboot again.
>>
>> Now running Fedora 9, however the video playback isn't 100% smooth.
>> Even though the CPU usage never goes over 45% when playing 1080i DVB-T
>> material, you can see the refresh line in fast moving scene.....
>> The same thing happen with both Myth and playing videos with mplayer.
>>
>> Running Linux 64 bits version...
>>
>> Are you experiencing similar issues? if not, could you post your setup ?
>
> I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can not
> get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend that is
> located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems with the actual
> video playback yet though...

From an earlier post, try this:

1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio. I think this is with Fedora.
3) Sound ALSA:default
4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
5) check Stereo (not 5.1). You will still get 5.1 with it set to
stereo, the 5.1 setting is broken and this is documented, btw, in the
install manual.
6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer

Allen

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 10, 2008, 8:24 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Sunday 10 August 2008 14:10:12 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/10 Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen [at] gmail>:
> > I have just barely started using this frontend. And the fact that I can
> > not get it to play DTS/AC3 sound is a big show-stopper for this frontend
> > that is located in my home cinema. I haven't experienced any problems
> > with the actual video playback yet though...
>
> I have instally Mythbuntu 32bits in place of Fedora 9 x64, and the
> picture quality is now amazing ... now more refresh issue and this is
> with the stock configuration, didn't play with the settings at all.
>
> In MythTV, did you set the default output to be: ALSA:spdif for the
> pass-through device?

I was sure I did (in the long list of different settings I have tried), but
now when I set passthrough to ALSA:spdif it just suddenly works! Thanks a lot
for your help!

allen.edwards at oldpaloalto

Aug 11, 2008, 8:03 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

>> In MythTV, did you set the default output to be: ALSA:spdif for the
>> pass-through device?
>
> I was sure I did (in the long list of different settings I have tried), but
> now when I set passthrough to ALSA:spdif it just suddenly works! Thanks a lot
> for your help!

I am glad to hear it worked. Curious, did you have to uninstall Pulse Audio?

Allen

jarlethorsen at gmail

Aug 12, 2008, 4:40 AM

Re: Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound? [In reply to]

On Monday 11 August 2008 17:03:24 Allen Edwards wrote:
> >> In MythTV, did you set the default output to be: ALSA:spdif for the
> >> pass-through device?
> >
> > I was sure I did (in the long list of different settings I have tried),
> > but now when I set passthrough to ALSA:spdif it just suddenly works!
> > Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> I am glad to hear it worked. Curious, did you have to uninstall Pulse
> Audio?

As far as I can see pulseaudio was never installed on this mythbuntu system.