Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Moving recordings to mythvideo

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


sastie at gmail

Jul 13, 2008, 4:46 AM

Post #1 of 19 (4256 views)
Permalink
Moving recordings to mythvideo

Hi,

I tried to copy mythtv recordings to mythvideo (just moved the files within
the filesystem).
When I copied them, the internal player in mythvideo could not skip forward
or backwards while the file in the recording section has no problems.
Did anybody experienced the same behaviour and knows how to fix it ?

Thanks a lot.


peter at vanderwal

Jul 13, 2008, 1:14 AM

Post #2 of 19 (4155 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

> Hi,
>
> I tried to copy mythtv recordings to mythvideo (just moved the files
> within
> the filesystem).
> When I copied them, the internal player in mythvideo could not skip
> forward
> or backwards while the file in the recording section has no problems.
> Did anybody experienced the same behaviour and knows how to fix it ?

Are you talking about commercial skipping or just fast forwarding?

AFAIK The information for commercial skipping is stored in the Myth
Database, and not in the file and that database info doesn't apply to
anything in the videos directory.
I think there is a way to re-code the recordings and remove the
commercials from the recording, but I've never tried that.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


gnassas at mac

Jul 13, 2008, 8:26 AM

Post #3 of 19 (4152 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 13-Jul-08, at 7:46 AM, Sebastien Astie wrote:

> I tried to copy mythtv recordings to mythvideo (just moved the files
> within the filesystem).
> When I copied them, the internal player in mythvideo could not skip
> forward or backwards while the file in the recording section has no
> problems.
> Did anybody experienced the same behaviour and knows how to fix it ?

The internal player handles skipping using indexes written into a
database table for recordings. Mythvideo doesn't index its files so
that's why the same player acts differently even though you're playing
the same file. Even without an index the internal player typically
makes pretty good guesses with videos. There must be something unusual
about your recordings.

There isn't a fix in that folks can point you to some option or
setting that you should enable. Someone would have to write code to
index things in the videos list and make the player aware of that. It
gets talked about every so often but nobody has stepped up to do it yet.

- George

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at dsl

Jul 13, 2008, 8:35 AM

Post #4 of 19 (4151 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

George Nassas wrote:
> On 13-Jul-08, at 7:46 AM, Sebastien Astie wrote:
>
>
>> I tried to copy mythtv recordings to mythvideo (just moved the files
>> within the filesystem).
>> When I copied them, the internal player in mythvideo could not skip
>> forward or backwards while the file in the recording section has no
>> problems.
>> Did anybody experienced the same behaviour and knows how to fix it ?
>>
>
> The internal player handles skipping using indexes written into a
> database table for recordings. Mythvideo doesn't index its files so
> that's why the same player acts differently even though you're playing
> the same file. Even without an index the internal player typically
> makes pretty good guesses with videos. There must be something unusual
> about your recordings.
>
> There isn't a fix in that folks can point you to some option or
> setting that you should enable. Someone would have to write code to
> index things in the videos list and make the player aware of that. It
> gets talked about every so often but nobody has stepped up to do it yet.
>
> - George
>
>
>

You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag --video.

Paul H.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


hobbes1069 at gmail

Jul 13, 2008, 1:24 PM

Post #5 of 19 (4149 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv [at] dsl> wrote:
> George Nassas wrote:
>> On 13-Jul-08, at 7:46 AM, Sebastien Astie wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I tried to copy mythtv recordings to mythvideo (just moved the files
>>> within the filesystem).
>>> When I copied them, the internal player in mythvideo could not skip
>>> forward or backwards while the file in the recording section has no
>>> problems.
>>> Did anybody experienced the same behaviour and knows how to fix it ?
>>>
>>
>> The internal player handles skipping using indexes written into a
>> database table for recordings. Mythvideo doesn't index its files so
>> that's why the same player acts differently even though you're playing
>> the same file. Even without an index the internal player typically
>> makes pretty good guesses with videos. There must be something unusual
>> about your recordings.
>>
>> There isn't a fix in that folks can point you to some option or
>> setting that you should enable. Someone would have to write code to
>> index things in the videos list and make the player aware of that. It
>> gets talked about every so often but nobody has stepped up to do it yet.
>>
>> - George
>>
>>
>>
>
> You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag --video.
>
> Paul H.


The OP didn't say what type of tuner he uses, however, I use
mythtranscode to do this with ATSC recodings (all mpeg2) and it
generates a .map file along with the .mpg file. I havn't tried yet but
I think mythvideo will use this.

Richard
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


gnassas at mac

Jul 13, 2008, 4:38 PM

Post #6 of 19 (4143 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 13-Jul-08, at 11:35 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> George Nassas wrote:
>> Mythvideo doesn't index its files
>>
> You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag
> --video.


Interesting, I was just looking in the video delete code and notice it
doesn't try to clear out any video seektable info. I guess that stuff
will live forever once created.

- George

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 14, 2008, 7:59 PM

Post #7 of 19 (4088 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 07/13/2008 07:38 PM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 13-Jul-08, at 11:35 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> George Nassas wrote:
>>
>>> Mythvideo doesn't index its files
>> You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag
>> --video.
> Interesting, I was just looking in the video delete code and notice it
> doesn't try to clear out any video seektable info. I guess that stuff
> will live forever once created.

If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, it will be
cleaned up by HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables().

If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, we should
modify HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables() to wait to clean up the data
until the video no longer exists... :)

So, does anyone know, if the data is stored in either of those tables,
what's used for chanid and starttime for video seektables?

If someone who has (very recently ;) run mythcommflag --video wants to
check (as I'm on the road for a couple weeks), the following SQL
commands should show it:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE IF NOT EXISTS findvideoinfo
(chanid int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
starttime datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00');

INSERT INTO findvideoinfo ( chanid, starttime )
SELECT DISTINCT chanid, starttime FROM recordedseek;

SELECT DISTINCT p.chanid, p.starttime
FROM findvideoinfo p
LEFT JOIN recorded r
ON p.chanid = r.chanid
AND p.starttime = r.starttime
WHERE r.chanid IS NULL;

Or, change "recordedseek" to recordedmarkup in the INSERT INTO/SELECT
DISTINCT (2nd SQL command). (Though you can explicitly drop the
temporary table when you're done, it will be dropped automatically when
you close the connection, i.e. when you exit the mysql command-line client.)

Mike
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Jul 14, 2008, 8:43 PM

Post #8 of 19 (4109 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:
[snip]
> Mike

Having read all that i am wondering why someone would want to drop
their recordings from recorded to mythvideo. It seems to me you lose
all that metadata about series name, description etc, the seek table
and probably more.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at dsl

Jul 15, 2008, 2:12 AM

Post #9 of 19 (4084 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/13/2008 07:38 PM, George Nassas wrote:
>
>> On 13-Jul-08, at 11:35 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>>
>>> George Nassas wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Mythvideo doesn't index its files
>>>>
>>> You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag
>>> --video.
>>>
>> Interesting, I was just looking in the video delete code and notice it
>> doesn't try to clear out any video seektable info. I guess that stuff
>> will live forever once created.
>>
>
> If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, it will be
> cleaned up by HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables().
>
> If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, we should
> modify HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables() to wait to clean up the data
> until the video no longer exists... :)
>
> So, does anyone know, if the data is stored in either of those tables,
> what's used for chanid and starttime for video seektables?
>
> If someone who has (very recently ;) run mythcommflag --video wants to
> check (as I'm on the road for a couple weeks), the following SQL
> commands should show it:
>
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE IF NOT EXISTS findvideoinfo
> (chanid int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
> starttime datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00');
>
> INSERT INTO findvideoinfo ( chanid, starttime )
> SELECT DISTINCT chanid, starttime FROM recordedseek;
>
> SELECT DISTINCT p.chanid, p.starttime
> FROM findvideoinfo p
> LEFT JOIN recorded r
> ON p.chanid = r.chanid
> AND p.starttime = r.starttime
> WHERE r.chanid IS NULL;
>
> Or, change "recordedseek" to recordedmarkup in the INSERT INTO/SELECT
> DISTINCT (2nd SQL command). (Though you can explicitly drop the
> temporary table when you're done, it will be dropped automatically when
> you close the connection, i.e. when you exit the mysql command-line client.)
>
> Mike
>
>

IIRC for videos the seektable goes into filemarkup and uses the filename
as the primary key not chanid + starttime like recordedseek.

Paul H.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 15, 2008, 3:55 PM

Post #10 of 19 (4070 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 07/15/2008 05:12 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 07/13/2008 07:38 PM, George Nassas wrote:
>>> On 13-Jul-08, at 11:35 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>>> George Nassas wrote:
>>>>> Mythvideo doesn't index its files
>>>> You can manually create the seektable for videos using mythcommflag
>>>> --video.
>>> Interesting, I was just looking in the video delete code and notice it
>>> doesn't try to clear out any video seektable info. I guess that stuff
>>> will live forever once created.
>>>
>>>
>> If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, it will be
>> cleaned up by HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables().
>>
>> If the seek data goes into recordedmarkup or recordedseek, we should
>> modify HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables() to wait to clean up the data
>> until the video no longer exists... :)
>>
> IIRC for videos the seektable goes into filemarkup and uses the filename
> as the primary key not chanid + starttime like recordedseek.

Ahhh. Thanks. I looked through the list of tables 3 times and didn't
see anything that looked right. I have no idea how I missed
filemarkup. Guess I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

So, it seems that means that the cleanup code we have for recorded* is
fine, but George's issue would still be an issue.

However, even if the video delete code is changed to delete filemarkup
data, it would mean that deleting MythVideo videos with seektable data
would have to be done through MythVideo. Therefore, I think a patch to
do for filemarkup what HouseKeeper::CleanupRecordedTables() does for
recordedseek (et. al.) would be more appropriate (allowing users to
delete videos from any app). I'll put it on my TODO list.

Thanks,
Mike

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


schachte at csse

Jul 16, 2008, 1:36 AM

Post #11 of 19 (4062 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

Nick Rout wrote:

> Having read all that i am wondering why someone would want to drop
> their recordings from recorded to mythvideo. It seems to me you lose
> all that metadata about series name, description etc, the seek table
> and probably more.

Possibly because it's a movie you recorded. Maybe you edited out commercials
and did a lossless transcode (so you don't need the cutlist anymore). And as
a movie, the metadata from mythvideo would be more appropriate (title,
director, IMDB rating, etc vs. title, subtitle, etc). And, of course, if you
feel like watching a movie, you're more likely to look in Watch Videos than
in Watch Recordings.

Another reason might be that you want to keep a recording permanently. Ie,
you don't want someone accidentally deleting it after watching it. Maybe
it's the time your child was on the news (hopefully in a good way!), or you
just want to keep a whole season of your favourite show. Since you can't
delete from the Watch Video list (only through the Video Manager), storing it
as a video might seem better. Somehow recordings just feel more ephemeral
than videos, even if you preserve the episode and disable autoexpire.

Conversely, if you get a new DVD, you might like to rip it but store it as a
recording rather than a video, so it's in your queue of things to watch, and
it's easy to delete it after you've watched it (not a problem since you've
still got the DVD), and so it gets autoexpired after a while if you never get
around to watching it. But that's another matter.

--
Peter Schachte I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend
schachte [at] cs to the death your right to say it.
www.cs.mu.oz.au/~schachte/ -- Voltaire
Phone: +61 3 8344 1338
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Apr 29, 2012, 12:18 AM

Post #12 of 19 (2138 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On 4/29/2012 01:48, Richard Ferrara wrote:
> Is there a method whereby I could move a recorded program to Mythvideo, while keeping its metadata and a human readable name?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 30, 2012, 1:51 AM

Post #13 of 19 (2119 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 4/29/2012 01:48, Richard Ferrara wrote:
>>
>> Is there a method whereby I could move a recorded program to Mythvideo,
>> while keeping its metadata and a human readable name?
>
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py

Doesn't have a "works with 0.25" endorsement - or is that an omission
in the wiki?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Apr 30, 2012, 10:37 AM

Post #14 of 19 (2108 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On 4/30/2012 04:51, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
>> On 4/29/2012 01:48, Richard Ferrara wrote:
>>> Is there a method whereby I could move a recorded program to Mythvideo,
>>> while keeping its metadata and a human readable name?
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
> Doesn't have a "works with 0.25" endorsement - or is that an omission
> in the wiki?

Intentional. There are changes in the Python bindings in 0.25,
specifically those to match MythTV's internal logging changes, that
cause that version to not work on 0.25 or master. I haven't yet pushed
the new copy to the wiki.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Apr 30, 2012, 2:19 PM

Post #15 of 19 (2102 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 4/30/2012 04:51, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond [at] wagnerrp>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> On 4/29/2012 01:48, Richard Ferrara wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Is there a method whereby I could move a recorded program to Mythvideo,
>>>> while keeping its metadata and a human readable name?
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
>>
>> Doesn't have a "works with 0.25" endorsement - or is that an omission
>> in the wiki?
>
>
> Intentional.  There are changes in the Python bindings in 0.25, specifically
> those to match MythTV's internal logging changes, that cause that version to
> not work on 0.25 or master.  I haven't yet pushed the new copy to the wiki.

Cheers, could you consider please posting back to this thread when you
do get a 0.25 version available? Thanks for your efforts.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Apr 30, 2012, 2:24 PM

Post #16 of 19 (2103 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On 4/30/2012 17:19, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
>> On 4/30/2012 04:51, Nick Rout wrote:
>>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond [at] wagnerrp>
>>> wrote:
>>>> On 4/29/2012 01:48, Richard Ferrara wrote:
>>>>> Is there a method whereby I could move a recorded program to Mythvideo,
>>>>> while keeping its metadata and a human readable name?
>>>>
>>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
>>> Doesn't have a "works with 0.25" endorsement - or is that an omission
>>> in the wiki?
>>
>> Intentional. There are changes in the Python bindings in 0.25, specifically
>> those to match MythTV's internal logging changes, that cause that version to
>> not work on 0.25 or master. I haven't yet pushed the new copy to the wiki.
> Cheers, could you consider please posting back to this thread when you
> do get a 0.25 version available? Thanks for your efforts.

https://github.com/wagnerrp/mythtv-scripts/blob/master/python/mythvidexport.py

However there is an issue with the behavior of copying the existing
metadata from the recording, if the recording has season/episode
defined, that needs to be resolved. Commenting out the first half of
Video::get_meta() reverts it to the old behavior, which works well
enough and bypasses the issue.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Apr 30, 2012, 9:49 PM

Post #17 of 19 (2093 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to MythVideo [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 05:24:40PM -0400, Raymond Wagner (raymond [at] wagnerrp) wrote:

> https://github.com/wagnerrp/mythtv-scripts/blob/master/python/mythvidexport.py
>
> However there is an issue with the behavior of copying the existing
> metadata from the recording, if the recording has season/episode
> defined, that needs to be resolved.

How about Unicode - that is, non-ASCII names in titles,
which break the current version, has that been fixed?

--
Tapani Tarvainen
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Dec 28, 2012, 5:59 PM

Post #18 of 19 (1426 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 12/27/2012 17:45, Robert Houghton wrote:
> There has been no discussion on the user mailing list for months on
> this.

Month, rather. The last post in this thread was only 24 days ago.

>Has there been any plan to some sort of organization into the UPnP
> representation of the video gallery?

Yes, there have been plans for months. There has not yet been any action.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


raymond at wagnerrp

Dec 28, 2012, 6:00 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1421 views)
Permalink
Re: Moving Recordings to mythvideo [In reply to]

On 12/28/2012 20:59, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Has there been any plan to some sort of organization into the UPnP
>> representation of the video gallery?
>
> Yes, there have been plans for months. There has not yet been any action.

It's also worth noting that any action will never make it into 0.25 or 0.26.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.