Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Map Unavailable in Mythweather?

hoffman at dlhoffman

Jun 9, 2008, 12:08 PM

Map Unavailable in Mythweather?

Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
populated with data but the map is missing.

Regards,
Doug

mike at dividia

Jun 9, 2008, 12:52 PM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
> Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
> mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
> populated with data but the map is missing.
>
> Regards,
> Doug

I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
luck. :-/

Mike

mythtv at webhounds

Jun 9, 2008, 3:00 PM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

Mike LaPlante wrote:

> I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
> DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
> luck. :-/

Nope, San Diego seems insignificant enough to not list either....

myth at dermanouelian

Jun 9, 2008, 3:16 PM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:

> Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
>> Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
>> mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
>> populated with data but the map is missing.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Doug

> I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
> DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
> luck. :-/

Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
out. :)

-Brad

mrand at pobox

Jun 10, 2008, 7:05 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:
>
>> Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
>>> Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
>>> mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
>>> populated with data but the map is missing.
>>
>> I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
>> DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
>> luck. :-/
>
> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
> out. :)

No kidding. Took me a while also.

On a related note though, has anyone figured out an easy way to add
additional zoomed in maps to 0.21?

A favorite past-time of people in Tornado alley is watching the
weather radar to see which way the main part of a storm is tracking.
0.20 showed a much larger map over a much smaller region so that you
could see meaningful stuff. But the "1800 mile" map in 0.21 is zoomed
so far out that you can barely tell were Dallas is, much less a
particular suburb north of Dallas. In short, you know there's a
storm, but you really don't know where it is or where its going.

My mythweather animated image also doesn't work via mythweb, but
hopefully it's just the same issue as described a while back on the
user list:

Lastly, is there a way to quiet down the amount of frontend logging
that is captured when background mythweather auto-retrieval is
enabled?

Marc

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jun 11, 2008, 6:13 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:
>> Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
>>> Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
>>> mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
>>> populated with data but the map is missing.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Doug
>>>
>> I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
>> DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
>> luck. :-/
>
> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
> out. :)
>
> -Brad

ah, thats the secret!
I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

greg at gregandeva

Jun 11, 2008, 6:39 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:13 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian

> > Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
> > by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
> > You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
> > the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
> > out. :)
> >
> > -Brad
>
> ah, thats the secret!
> I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.

I did this, and got a complete list for Canada. Unfortunately I am in
the USA. How do I tell MythWeather what country I am in?

--Greg

newbury at mandamus

Jun 11, 2008, 11:16 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:13 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>
>>> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
>>> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
>>> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
>>> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
>>> out. :)
>>>
>>> -Brad
>> ah, thats the secret!
>> I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.
>
> I did this, and got a complete list for Canada. Unfortunately I am in
> the USA. How do I tell MythWeather what country I am in?
>
> --Greg

You don't. Now you have to move to Canada.

Look forward to meeting you!

Geoff

vitaminjoe at gmail

Jun 11, 2008, 11:56 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian

>> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
>> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
>> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
>> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
>> out. :)
>>
>> -Brad
>
> ah, thats the secret!
> I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.

The wiki already has some explanation to this effect. Under the
heading 'Weather.com's Map Room' on the MythWeather wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythWeather) it says this:

"Location searches look at the map name, so you'll probably want to
search for things like "radar", "doppler", "northeast", etc."

Enjoy!

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe [at] gmail

skd5aner at gmail

Jun 12, 2008, 8:22 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:

>>> I couldn't even get MythWeather to find maps for my zip code or area.
>>> DFW is pretty small town though, maybe larger metroplexes have better
>>> luck. :-/
>>
>> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
>> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
>> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
>> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
>> out. :)
>>
>> -Brad
>
> ah, thats the secret!
> I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.

Thanks Steve. I've got to admit, that the concept of the new
mythweather is nice, but man is it a pain in the *** sometimes. Just
not as easy, user friendly, or usable as it was back in the day.

Thanks!
Matt

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jun 12, 2008, 8:40 AM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Matt S. <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>> <myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:

>>> Animated maps and most (if not all) of the static ones aren't listed
>>> by zip/city. Leave the search box blank and search for everything.
>>> You'll get a list of stuff by region of the US. Pick your region of
>>> the US from the search results. Took me a while to figure that one
>>> out. :)
>>>
>>> -Brad
>>
>> ah, thats the secret!
>> I've added this bit if knowledge to the wiki.
>

> Thanks Steve. I've got to admit, that the concept of the new
> mythweather is nice, but man is it a pain in the *** sometimes. Just
> not as easy, user friendly, or usable as it was back in the day.

yea, its still a work in progress for the most part, and in some ways
better, but getting it setup is a PITA. Of course, when it works, it
works, which the old one never seemed to work right.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

householdwords at gmail

Jun 13, 2008, 12:39 PM

Re: Map Unavailable in Mythweather? [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dr. Doug L. Hoffman
<hoffman [at] dlhoffman> wrote:
> Has anyone else been getting timeouts on US weather map downloads in
> mythweather? This started a few days ago. The other screens are
> populated with data but the map is missing.

Yup, all of the other pages are populated, but when the radar map page
shows a "Map Unavailable" message.

Mythweather had a similar problem in the past. I believe the cause was
related to the administration of the website that offers the maps. In
short, I think the web address to the map has changed in some way, and
the mythweather scripts need to be changed to accommodate the change
-- a task that I am unwilling to try. So I wait in hopes that the
developers will get to it.

I'd expect to hear more folks complain however. Perhaps its regional.
I'm located in Dixie. Are you trying to download images for a location
in this region as well?

Preston