Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Internal Player MKV Subtitles

sarah at sarahhayes

Mar 12, 2008, 9:36 AM

Internal Player MKV Subtitles

Greetings,

Out of interest how does someone get the Internal player to display
subtitles? The wiki seems to inference it supports it... but I can't
seem to find which menu option/key triggers it. I'm currently trying it
on a h264'd MKV file with the soft-subs (obviously), seems to work fine
by pressing T on a avi + srt file.

I do seem to recall someone saying this was in 0.21?

Version strings:
MythTV Version : 16468
MythTV Branch : tags/release-0-21
Library API : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40

And this is on my Ubuntu laptop.

Sarah

greg at phaze

Mar 12, 2008, 10:24 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

> subtitles? The wiki seems to inference it supports it... but I can't
> seem to find which menu option/key triggers it. I'm currently trying it
> on a h264'd MKV file with the soft-subs (obviously), seems to work fine
> by pressing T on a avi + srt file.

By Soft-subs are you referring to embedded subtitles or external srt's?

sarah at sarahhayes

Mar 12, 2008, 11:21 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>> subtitles? The wiki seems to inference it supports it... but I can't
>> seem to find which menu option/key triggers it. I'm currently trying it
>> on a h264'd MKV file with the soft-subs (obviously), seems to work fine
>> by pressing T on a avi + srt file.
>>

> By Soft-subs are you referring to embedded subtitles or external srt's?

sarah at sarahhayes

Mar 13, 2008, 7:09 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

Sarah Hayes wrote:
> Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>
>>> subtitles? The wiki seems to inference it supports it... but I can't
>>> seem to find which menu option/key triggers it. I'm currently trying it
>>> on a h264'd MKV file with the soft-subs (obviously), seems to work fine
>>> by pressing T on a avi + srt file.
>>>

>> By Soft-subs are you referring to embedded subtitles or external srt's?

> embedded.

I suppose I'm bumping, but... I assume the problem is with embedded
subtitles in the MKV (as the avi+srt files play fine), does anyone know
how to extract the subs and convert them to srt files?

Sarah

robthebob at gmail

Mar 13, 2008, 7:24 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

> I suppose I'm bumping, but... I assume the problem is with embedded
> subtitles in the MKV (as the avi+srt files play fine), does anyone know
> how to extract the subs and convert them to srt files?

$ mkvinfo film.mkv | grep subtitles -B3
| + A track
| + Track number: 3
| + Track UID: 2131733228
| + Track type: subtitles
$ mkvextract tracks film.mkv 3:film.srt

--
Robin

sarah at sarahhayes

Mar 13, 2008, 8:42 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

Robin Neatherway wrote:
>> I suppose I'm bumping, but... I assume the problem is with embedded
>> subtitles in the MKV (as the avi+srt files play fine), does anyone know
>> how to extract the subs and convert them to srt files?
>>

> $ mkvinfo film.mkv | grep subtitles -B3
> | + A track
> | + Track number: 3
> | + Track UID: 2131733228
> | + Track type: subtitles
> $ mkvextract tracks film.mkv 3:film.srt
>

> --
> Robin

Thanks Robin, just did that. Whacked the T key and up popped the
subtitles. I guess the internal player still has issues with embedded
subs (either in general or inside mkv's/), still no great hassle to pump
out .srt's... now I know how.

Sarah

greg at phaze

Mar 13, 2008, 8:58 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

> Thanks Robin, just did that. Whacked the T key and up popped the
> subtitles. I guess the internal player still has issues with embedded
> subs (either in general or inside mkv's/), still no great hassle to pump
> out .srt's... now I know how.

As far as I know there is no support at all for those embedded subtitles, but unfortunately I don't have a file tpo use for testing it.

robthebob at gmail

Mar 13, 2008, 9:05 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Greg Estabrooks <greg [at] phaze> wrote:
> > Thanks Robin, just did that. Whacked the T key and up popped the
> > subtitles. I guess the internal player still has issues with embedded
> > subs (either in general or inside mkv's/), still no great hassle to pump
> > out .srt's... now I know how.

Glad to know it worked.

> As far as I know there is no support at all for those embedded subtitles, but unfortunately I don't have a file tpo use for testing it.

Yeah, I noticed this a while back - so I still use mplayer for my mkv
files as a result. Something I might look into if I get around to it.

--
Robin

sarah at sarahhayes

Mar 13, 2008, 9:21 AM

Re: Internal Player MKV Subtitles [In reply to]

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>> Thanks Robin, just did that. Whacked the T key and up popped the
>> subtitles. I guess the internal player still has issues with embedded
>> subs (either in general or inside mkv's/), still no great hassle to pump
>> out .srt's... now I know how.
>>

> As far as I know there is no support at all for those embedded subtitles, but unfortunately I don't have a file tpo use for testing it.

Ahh, I swear there was a thread a while back about this apearing in
0.21? Perhaps it got shunted to .22 due to the imminent release (or I
misread something).

Quite easy to make a mkv+h264+embedded subs file, I follow the guide at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273635 which seems generic
enough to work on other distros (assuming dependencies are met); as I
have a lot of foreign films it's become my format of choice for feeding
them in to MythVideo.

Still either way, 122Kb file per movie isn't going to break the array
and I'm a happy camper :)

Sarah