Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Can't access mythweb after upgrade

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 10, 2008, 10:28 PM

Can't access mythweb after upgrade

I just upgraded to the new version via atrpms, thought I took care to
modify the httpd.conf.apache file appropriately, copied it to
/etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf and restarted apache. However, I am
getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to
access /mythweb/ on this server.).

The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
will turn on password protection again.

What am I doing wrong here?

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 10, 2008, 11:13 PM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> I just upgraded to the new version via atrpms, thought I took care to
> modify the httpd.conf.apache file appropriately, copied it to
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf and restarted apache. However, I am
> getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to
> access /mythweb/ on this server.).
>
> The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
> Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
> authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
> will turn on password protection again.

One more datapoint: if I append mythweb.php at the end of the url, I
get the following error:
Database Setup Error

The database environment variables are not correctly set in the
webserver conf or .htaccess file. Please read through the comments
included in the file and set up the db_* environment variables correctly.

Some possible solutions are to make sure that mod_env is enabled
in httpd.conf, as well as having followed the instructions in the
README and INSTALL files.

I am pretty sure my database variables in mythweb.conf are set up
correctly, so I don't know what this error is about.

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 10, 2008, 11:53 PM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I just upgraded to the new version via atrpms, thought I took care to
> > modify the httpd.conf.apache file appropriately, copied it to
> > /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf and restarted apache. However, I am
> > getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to
> > access /mythweb/ on this server.).
> >
> > The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
> > Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
> > authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
> > will turn on password protection again.

Sorry to keep responding to my own emails, but hoping that getting
more info will help others help me.

I just checked my error logs, and this is the error I get: [Mon Mar 10
23:51:54 2008] [error] [client 192.168.1.100] Directory index
forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/mythweb/

lists at forevermore

Mar 11, 2008, 12:07 AM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:53 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I just checked my error logs, and this is the error I get: [Mon Mar 10
> 23:51:54 2008] [error] [client 192.168.1.100] Directory index
> forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/mythweb/

All of this probably means that you didn't set up the mythweb.conf
file correctly for the directory you chose to put mythweb into. Make
sure it's set for /var/www/html/mythweb/ and not just /var/www/html/

-Chris

monkeypet at gmail

Mar 11, 2008, 12:16 AM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

Hi, I recently did an upgrade and ran into everything you have been
seeing. I did several things. The first was to make sure there
wasn't a second <Directory ".../mythweb"> anywhere else. I had a dup
in conf/httpd.conf. The next thing was I made my perms to the db was
set correctly. The last thing was making sure the db info was
correct. Then i restarted the httpd and it worked.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I just upgraded to the new version via atrpms, thought I took care to
> > modify the httpd.conf.apache file appropriately, copied it to
> > /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf and restarted apache. However, I am
> > getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to
> > access /mythweb/ on this server.).
> >
> > The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
> > Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
> > authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
> > will turn on password protection again.
>
> One more datapoint: if I append mythweb.php at the end of the url, I
> get the following error:
> Database Setup Error
>
> The database environment variables are not correctly set in the
> webserver conf or .htaccess file. Please read through the comments
> included in the file and set up the db_* environment variables correctly.
>
> Some possible solutions are to make sure that mod_env is enabled
> in httpd.conf, as well as having followed the instructions in the
> README and INSTALL files.
>

> I am pretty sure my database variables in mythweb.conf are set up
> correctly, so I don't know what this error is about.

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Mar 11, 2008, 12:29 AM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

On 11/03/2008, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> I just checked my error logs, and this is the error I get: [Mon Mar 10
> 23:51:54 2008] [error] [client 192.168.1.100] Directory index
> forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/mythweb/

Is your PHP install (or valid httpd index filenames/directive)
configured correctly? When accessing the MythWeb root directory, the
web server should return the MythWeb homepage, not try and open the
directory listing of files.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/

grocklein at comcast

Mar 11, 2008, 7:56 AM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

I was having the same problem initially.
I'm too much of a noob to be sure this will fix your issue, but I solved
my problem by doing the following:

1. I edited my mythweb.conf.apache file to point to the installation
directory <Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >
2. I moved and renamed the mythweb.conf.apache file to the
/etc/httpd/conf.d directory --> mv mythweb.conf.apache
/etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf
3. Lastly, I changed my permissions for the mythweb/data directory to
allow full access --> chmod a+rw /var/www/html/mythweb/data (I imagine
some of the more cautious people would cringe at providing full access
like this, but in my situation it just doesn't matter).

I appear to be all set now. I don't know if the last step was really
necessary (the permissions may have been OK to begin with), but I didn't
want to spend too much time fiddling with things, so I used a little bit
of a shotgun approach.

Hope this helps.

-- George
Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I just upgraded to the new version via atrpms, thought I took care to
> modify the httpd.conf.apache file appropriately, copied it to
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf and restarted apache. However, I am
> getting the dreaded 403 Forbidden error (You don't have permission to
> access /mythweb/ on this server.).
>
> The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
> Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
> authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
> will turn on password protection again.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

gaberubin at gmail

Mar 11, 2008, 8:08 AM

Re: Can't access mythweb after upgrade [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

> The changes I made to the stock conf file was a change to the
> Directory (<Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >). I left all the
> authentication stuff commented out for now, but when I get it working,
> will turn on password protection again.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

This almost isn't even worth mentioning to the list, as it was a very
stupid error. I had a typo, and in the Directory line. Fixed it, and
now it is all good!