Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Recommendations for HD capture

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

peterl at standingwave

Feb 18, 2008, 3:42 PM

Recommendations for HD capture

Hello, all. I've been going along fine for quite a while on my one
PVR250. This weekend I updated the tube to a 1080i HD unit. I have the
basic Comcast cable and no OTA capability. The coax goes direct into
the TV and PVR250. No cable box.

I'm not a voracious TV watcher nor am I planning to upgrade to any of
the waaaaaaaay too expensive full HD packages from Comcrap. Satellite
is not an option due to horizon issues.

Soooo. I'd like to be able to get a better picture when possible from
the unencrypted HD channels that are available, but a lot of what I
will wind up recording is going to still be in SD.

I understand that there are a new crop of not-quite-supported-in-linux
capture devices that should be functional this year.

I've done some Googling and some reading in the Gossamer archives, but
I'm unable to gain a clear picture of the best options...

1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
stuck with 480i - just digital?

2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the new
capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
the future (QAM + ?).

Thanks!

-Pete

myth at dermanouelian

Feb 18, 2008, 4:49 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:

> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
> stuck with 480i - just digital?

There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
"They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
money.

> 2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the new
> capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
> card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
> the future (QAM + ?).

Not sure what new capture devices you're waiting for so I can't answer
that. If you're talking about the Hauppauge Component capture device,
I believe it's a USB device so no need to worry about an extra PCI slot.

mkh01 at earthlink

Feb 18, 2008, 4:53 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 03:42:57PM -0800, Peter Loron wrote:
> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
> stuck with 480i - just digital?

The switch to digital only really applies to over the air broadcasts.
However, some cable companies may use it as an excuse to make people
switch to digital service.

--
Michael Heironimus

peterl at standingwave

Feb 18, 2008, 5:13 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:
>
>> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
>> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
>> stuck with 480i - just digital?
>
> There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
> differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
> for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
> companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
> to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
> "They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
> which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
> money.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the source of the
content moving to HD. Studios may move to only doing HD as the % of HD
capable sets rises. If HD is all the cable companies can get, then
they'll need to play that.

Of course they will squeeze us for all they can.

>> 2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the
>> new
>> capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
>> card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
>> the future (QAM + ?).
>
> Not sure what new capture devices you're waiting for so I can't answer
> that. If you're talking about the Hauppauge Component capture device,
> I believe it's a USB device so no need to worry about an extra PCI
> slot.

Yes the component capture device is interesting. Wasn't sure if
anything else new had been announced.

-Pete

beww at beww

Feb 18, 2008, 5:20 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Peter Loron wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:
>>
>>> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
>>> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
>>> stuck with 480i - just digital?
>> There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
>> differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
>> for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
>> companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
>> to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
>> "They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
>> which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
>> money.
>>

> Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the source of the
> content moving to HD. Studios may move to only doing HD as the % of HD
> capable sets rises. If HD is all the cable companies can get, then
> they'll need to play that.
>
> Of course they will squeeze us for all they can.

SD material will continue to be available for the foreseeable future. A
large percentage of the cable channels are re-runs anyway.

I was a little surprised when Hogan's Heroes showed up on HDNet as "HD",
but it turns out it was originally shot on 35mm film and they just re
telecined it.

I often find myself watching B+W material from the 50s (Groucho Marx,
Burns and Allen etc.). MUCH better than what the studios are turning out
today.

But my cable company is already telling me "the FCC is requiring us to
go all digital", pure bunk, but typical. I think the folks at their
office actually believe it, but the higher ups should know better, but
they also know that most subscribers will believe any idiotic action by
the government these days.

beww

beww

bradallenfuller at gmail

Feb 18, 2008, 5:40 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 18, 2008 5:20 PM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> But my cable company is already telling me "the FCC is requiring us to
> go all digital", pure bunk, but typical. I think the folks at their
> office actually believe it, but the higher ups should know better, but
> they also know that most subscribers will believe any idiotic action by
> the government these days.

Which cable company is telling you that? was it in a mailer? Or on
the web? Or on your bill? I have comcast and they haven't said a thing
(or I missed it)

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

beww at beww

Feb 18, 2008, 5:51 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 5:20 PM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
>> But my cable company is already telling me "the FCC is requiring us to
>> go all digital", pure bunk, but typical. I think the folks at their
>> office actually believe it, but the higher ups should know better, but
>> they also know that most subscribers will believe any idiotic action by
>> the government these days.
>
> Which cable company is telling you that? was it in a mailer? Or on
> the web? Or on your bill? I have comcast and they haven't said a thing
> (or I missed it)

Bresnan Communications. A fairly small regional operator here in Wyoming
and Montana.

I was told this by one of their technicians who was at my home. Not the
most reliable source but he is representing the company.

beww

ylee at pobox

Feb 18, 2008, 6:08 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> says:
> I was a little surprised when Hogan's Heroes showed up on HDNet as
> "HD", but it turns out it was originally shot on 35mm film and they
> just re telecined it.

No quotes needed; it and _Charlie's Angels_ was just as
high-definition as any theatrical film that's flagged and advertised
as HD, except with a 14:9 aspect ratio.

--
Frontend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6

fairlane at springcom

Feb 18, 2008, 6:11 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Brian Wood wrote:

> Bresnan Communications. A fairly small regional operator here in Wyoming
> and Montana.
>
> I was told this by one of their technicians who was at my home. Not the
> most reliable source but he is representing the company.
>
> beww

Regional? I had Bresnan when I lived in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan... they sucked there too..

beww at beww

Feb 18, 2008, 6:23 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Mark wrote:

> Regional? I had Bresnan when I lived in the Upper Peninsula of
> Michigan... they sucked there too..

I think their corporate HQ is in NY. Maybe they're bigger than I
thought, but they're nowhere close to Concast or Time Warner or the like
in size.

I use DISH for most of my TV programming, but Bresnan is my only option
for an ISP (DSL won't give me the outbound speed I need and I don't want
to pay for a T1).

I have to say they have not been too bad as an ISP, though their CATV
stinks. I pay for a business account so I can run servers without
violating a TSA. I have a tech service number to call that always seems
to get answered quickly by a human being who actually seems to know what
he is talking about, and an outage is a very rare event.

beww

gravityhammer at gmail

Feb 18, 2008, 6:59 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 18, 2008 8:13 PM, Peter Loron <peterl [at] standingwave> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
> > On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:
> >
> >> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
> >> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
> >> stuck with 480i - just digital?
> >
> > There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
> > differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
> > for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
> > companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
> > to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
> > "They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
> > which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
> > money.
> >

> Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the source of the
> content moving to HD. Studios may move to only doing HD as the % of HD
> capable sets rises. If HD is all the cable companies can get, then
> they'll need to play that.
>
> Of course they will squeeze us for all they can.
>

> >> 2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the
> >> new
> >> capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
> >> card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
> >> the future (QAM + ?).
> >
> > Not sure what new capture devices you're waiting for so I can't answer
> > that. If you're talking about the Hauppauge Component capture device,
> > I believe it's a USB device so no need to worry about an extra PCI
> > slot.
>
> Yes the component capture device is interesting. Wasn't sure if
> anything else new had been announced.
>
> -Pete

If you use the Hauppauge HD-DVR (?), it won't matter what sort of
encryption the cable company is using - you'll just plug the component
out of your cable box into the component in on the Hauppauge device.

papenfuss at juneau

Feb 19, 2008, 5:42 AM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

> If you use the Hauppauge HD-DVR (?), it won't matter what sort of
> encryption the cable company is using - you'll just plug the component
> out of your cable box into the component in on the Hauppauge device.

... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.

-Cory

jedi at mishnet

Feb 19, 2008, 8:00 AM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

>> If you use the Hauppauge HD-DVR (?), it won't matter what sort of
>> encryption the cable company is using - you'll just plug the component
>> out of your cable box into the component in on the Hauppauge device.
>
> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.

You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
Recordings menu.

[deletia]

Does anyone keep track of how much actual HD content is on the HD
channels available these days. Last time I did a spot check, most
of what was on these HD channels was old SD content anyways.

That would be something for someone with entirely too much time
on their hands to keep track of... an HD/SD ratio.

Mebbe there's even a site with that sort of info already...

jedi at mishnet

Feb 19, 2008, 8:13 AM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

> Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> says:
>> I was a little surprised when Hogan's Heroes showed up on HDNet as
>> "HD", but it turns out it was originally shot on 35mm film and they
>> just re telecined it.

...then I wonder when the Bluray version is coming out.

I figured this was just BS when I originally saw it. It annoyed
the hell out of me that you could only see Hogans on an HD channel.
It eventually made it back to SD OTA channels. However, I just broke
down and bought the whole series once I saw how my local cable channel
was mutilating it.

It was cut down even compared to the last time I had seen it
on broadcast. I bought the old Trek DVD's for the same reason.

> No quotes needed; it and _Charlie's Angels_ was just as
> high-definition as any theatrical film that's flagged and advertised
> as HD, except with a 14:9 aspect ratio.
>
> --
> Frontend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs: Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories: 47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

ylee at pobox

Feb 19, 2008, 8:52 AM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> says:
> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.

And upset everyone who has hooked up their cable boxes to HDTVs using
component output? Hardly.

--
Frontend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
Video inputs: Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
Accessories: 47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

papenfuss at juneau

Feb 19, 2008, 10:24 AM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> says:
>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
>
> And upset everyone who has hooked up their cable boxes to HDTVs using
> component output? Hardly.

You say that now, but it will happen. Maybe not with the cable
boxes so quickly, but the BluRay will have that turned on in the
not-too-distant future to plug the "analog hole." The sad thing is that
the majority of the general public won't notice the lack of HD.

-Cory

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 19, 2008, 2:08 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On 02/19/2008 11:00 AM, jedi [at] mishnet wrote:
>>> If you use the Hauppauge HD-DVR (?), it won't matter what sort of
>>> encryption the cable company is using - you'll just plug the component
>>> out of your cable box into the component in on the Hauppauge device.
>>>
>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
> You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
> I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
> the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
> these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
> Recordings menu.

Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record shows),
so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
(as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).

Mike

myth at dermanouelian

Feb 19, 2008, 2:14 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 19, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
>> You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
>> I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
>> the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
>> these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
>> Recordings menu.
>
> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
> shows),
> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
>
> Mike

Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
free. Get your mind out of the gutter, Mike. ;)

gull at gull

Feb 19, 2008, 2:15 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> says:
>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
>
> And upset everyone who has hooked up their cable boxes to HDTVs using
> component output? Hardly.

Most consumers wouldn't know the difference. 99% of the HDTVs I see
are playing stretched analog content. If people can't tell the
difference between 16:9 and stretched-out 4:3, why would they notice
the difference between 1080i and 480p?

myth at dermanouelian

Feb 19, 2008, 2:50 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 19, 2008, at 2:15 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> says:
>>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
>>
>> And upset everyone who has hooked up their cable boxes to HDTVs using
>> component output? Hardly.
>
> Most consumers wouldn't know the difference. 99% of the HDTVs I see
> are playing stretched analog content. If people can't tell the
> difference between 16:9 and stretched-out 4:3, why would they notice
> the difference between 1080i and 480p?

Sports fans would complain if their quality suddenly went from 1080i
to 480p. They can be a vocal bunch of people, too. :)

sarah at sarahhayes

Feb 19, 2008, 2:56 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> says:
>
>> ... until they flip the bit that forces players/boxes to
>> down-sample anything out the analog port to SD 480p.
>>

> And upset everyone who has hooked up their cable boxes to HDTVs using
> component output? Hardly.

Most won't notice, a lot that do will accept the "it's to protect YOU"
message that'll appear.

Only a few will get up in arms about it... but it'll be too late then.

Sarah

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 19, 2008, 3:24 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On 02/19/2008 05:14 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
>>> I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
>>> the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
>>> these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
>>> Recordings menu.
>>>
>> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
>> shows),
>> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
>> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
> Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
> some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
> free.

Oh, but those aren't downloads... :)

Doesn't "downloading" imply you have a file when you're done? Since
these major broadcast companies are offering up their content only for
people who have "approved" OS's that can run their "enough technological
protection measures--even if ineffective--to allow a DMCA lawsuit if
someone doesn't use our" clients which prevent anything but direct
playback (and stop playback to insert unskippable commercials), you
don't have any file when you're done playing back the show.

> Get your mind out of the gutter, Mike. ;)

Think like the enemy...
--Probably by some smart guy whose name I don't know

Mike

myth at dermanouelian

Feb 19, 2008, 3:28 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

On Feb 19, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/19/2008 05:14 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
>>> shows),
>>> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this
>>> list
>>> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
>> Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
>> some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
>> free.
>
> Oh, but those aren't downloads... :)
>
> Doesn't "downloading" imply you have a file when you're done? Since
> these major broadcast companies are offering up their content only for
> people who have "approved" OS's that can run their "enough
> technological
> protection measures--even if ineffective--to allow a DMCA lawsuit if
> someone doesn't use our" clients which prevent anything but direct
> playback (and stop playback to insert unskippable commercials), you
> don't have any file when you're done playing back the show.

Semantics. I say if you're loading data down from a server to a
client, it's a download.

sarah at sarahhayes

Feb 19, 2008, 3:28 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/19/2008 05:14 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
>>> shows),
>>> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
>>> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
>>>
>> Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
>> some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
>> free.
>>

> Oh, but those aren't downloads... :)
>
> Doesn't "downloading" imply you have a file when you're done?
I was under the impression that if you use the 'correct' OS (and the
correct version thereof of certain software... I'm looking at you WMP)
some of the systems do deposit a file on the system but it
vanishes/refuses to play after an alloted time (24hrs, 7 days, whatever).

jedi at mishnet

Feb 19, 2008, 3:36 PM

Re: Recommendations for HD capture [In reply to]

>>> You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
>>> I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
>>> the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
>>> these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
>>> Recordings menu.
>>
>> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
>> shows),
>> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
>> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
>>
>> Mike

All manner of downloads are greatly encouraged by the lack of
open HD cable standards. Rather than allowing the emerging technology
to give every one a cheap "why bother pirating" solution, people will
be encouraged to try downloads of one form or another.

This will undermine the very industries all of this HDCP nonsense
is meant to protect.

Why download when you can collect video on the scale of thousands
of hours all legitimately?

Lame non-Tivo proprietary PVRs -> more downloads (legal or not).

> Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
> some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
> free. Get your mind out of the gutter, Mike. ;)

No, I was referring to Torrent freaks. Although they aren't the
sort that would bother with MythTV. They're just going to be a bit
part of how this all sorts out.