Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Re-record something being shown in HD?

taco_mel at yahoo

Jan 23, 2008, 7:13 PM

Re-record something being shown in HD?

If I had previously recorded something and it's still
in my list of recorded programs, then of course it is
not going to be re-recorded by default. However, if
my existing recording is in standard definition, and
it is being re-shown in high definition, I would like
to have the HD version record. (For example, in
December "Polar Express" was shown on a non-network
station, which for me is SD from the DirecTV box, and
subsequently re-shown in HD on ABC which I could have
picked up over the air.)

A similar question - I might have something recorded
on a channel that is not commercial free, and then it
gets re-broadcast on one that is commercial free.
(For example a movie that was shown on a "normal"
station and then is re-shown on Encore.) I would want
to get the commercial free recording because it would
be more likely the original movie, not edited for
content.

Can Myth be configured to automatically record a
program again in these situations, either as a power
search or in some other way?

gbr at majentis

Jan 23, 2008, 7:55 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

When you delete a recording, one of the options is to allow re-recording the show.

Gerald

[...]

rbsteffes at gmail

Jan 23, 2008, 8:05 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

On Jan 23, 2008 10:13 PM, Taco Mel <taco_mel [at] yahoo> wrote:
> If I had previously recorded something and it's still
> in my list of recorded programs, then of course it is
> not going to be re-recorded by default. However, if
> my existing recording is in standard definition, and
> it is being re-shown in high definition, I would like
> to have the HD version record. (For example, in
> December "Polar Express" was shown on a non-network
> station, which for me is SD from the DirecTV box, and
> subsequently re-shown in HD on ABC which I could have
> picked up over the air.)
>
> A similar question - I might have something recorded
> on a channel that is not commercial free, and then it
> gets re-broadcast on one that is commercial free.
> (For example a movie that was shown on a "normal"
> station and then is re-shown on Encore.) I would want
> to get the commercial free recording because it would
> be more likely the original movie, not edited for
> content.
>
> Can Myth be configured to automatically record a
> program again in these situations, either as a power
> search or in some other way?

Think your best shot is to set the recording to re-record and then set
preferences for the channels with no commercials as well as tuner
preferences for HD tuners.

taco_mel at yahoo

Jan 23, 2008, 8:49 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

I'm aware of how to schedule the recording once I know
that this is going on, but my question is more about
how to see that the HDTV recording is going to take
place in the first place.

I ended up writing a couple SQL queries for this. For
HDTV:

select recordedprogram.title,
recordedprogram.subtitle,
channel.callsign, channel.name,
program.starttime
from recordedprogram, channel, program
where program.chanid = channel.chanid and
program.programid = recordedprogram.programid and
recordedprogram.hdtv = 0 and program.hdtv = 1 and
program.starttime > now()
group by program.programid
order by program.starttime

and for commercials:

select recordedprogram.title,
recordedprogram.subtitle,
channelA.callsign, channelA.name, channelB.callsign,
channelB.name,
program.starttime
from recordedprogram as recordedprogram, channel as
channelA, program as program, channel as channelB
where recordedprogram.chanid = channelA.chanid and
program.programid = recordedprogram.programid and
program.chanid = channelB.chanid and
channelB.commfree != 0 and channelA.commfree = 0
group by program.programid
order by program.starttime

I ran these queries and found two episodes that I want
to re-record so I did these manually. However I am
curious as to whether Myth can do this automatically.
Perhaps an option within the duplicate detection
algorithm that will not flag something as a duplicate
if the existing recording is not HDTV and the new
scheduled recording is?

ebenblues at gmail

Jan 23, 2008, 9:36 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

On Jan 23, 2008 9:49 PM, Taco Mel <taco_mel [at] yahoo> wrote:

> I'm aware of how to schedule the recording once I know
> that this is going on, but my question is more about
> how to see that the HDTV recording is going to take
> place in the first place.
>
> I ended up writing a couple SQL queries for this. For
> HDTV:
>
> select recordedprogram.title,
> recordedprogram.subtitle,
> channel.callsign, channel.name,
> program.starttime
> from recordedprogram, channel, program
> where program.chanid = channel.chanid and
> program.programid = recordedprogram.programid and
> recordedprogram.hdtv = 0 and program.hdtv = 1 and
> program.starttime > now()
> group by program.programid
> order by program.starttime
>
> and for commercials:
>
> select recordedprogram.title,
> recordedprogram.subtitle,
> channelA.callsign, channelA.name, channelB.callsign,
> channelB.name,
> program.starttime
> from recordedprogram as recordedprogram, channel as
> channelA, program as program, channel as channelB
> where recordedprogram.chanid = channelA.chanid and
> program.programid = recordedprogram.programid and
> program.chanid = channelB.chanid and
> channelB.commfree != 0 and channelA.commfree = 0
> group by program.programid
> order by program.starttime
>
> I ran these queries and found two episodes that I want
> to re-record so I did these manually. However I am
> curious as to whether Myth can do this automatically.
> Perhaps an option within the duplicate detection
> algorithm that will not flag something as a duplicate
> if the existing recording is not HDTV and the new
> scheduled recording is?

Sounds like you should make those sql queries into a userjob script that is
run for your default recording profile. The script could automate this
process for you. It would require some work on your part, but you wouldn't
have to wait for a fix in svn, although I agree this would be a nice
feature.

James

--
"The humble learn the fastest because they don't waste time on defending a
false image."

taco_mel at yahoo

Jan 29, 2008, 9:11 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

Thanks for the advice. I figured out how to do this
and wanted to share my solution in case anyone else
wants to do the same thing. I did this via a power
search which I configured through mythweb.

Check "Record at any time on any channel."

Check "Power Search."

Title = "HDTV rebroadcast"
The title can be whatever you want. It is just a name
for the rule, not a program title.

Additional tables = ", recordedprogram"
The comma is needed to make the SQL query work right.

Search phrase = "program.programid =
recordedprogram.programid and recordedprogram.hdtv = 0
and program.hdtv = 1"
"program" is the current guide and "recordedprogram"
is the table of recorded programs. Find all items in
the "program" (current) that are being shown in HDTV
where the program ID matches something in
"recordedprogram" that was not recorded in HD.

You also must set the duplicate check method to "None"
to make this work!

The only thing that could make this absolutely perfect
would be, upon the conclusion of the recording, to go
back and delete the non-HD recording. I might set up
a "user job" that does this. For now, without this,
the only potential bug is that if the same episode was
broadcast multiple times in HD, it would pick it up
every time as long as the non-HD recording was
present. I will live with that limitation
unless/until I do the user job thing to whack the old
recording, or maybe try to finagle an outer join into
the query.

Two "Law & Order" broadcasts are to be re-recorded in
HD over the next two weeks, increasing WAF considerably.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jan 30, 2008, 2:09 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

On 01/30/2008 12:11 AM, Taco Mel wrote:
> Thanks for the advice. I figured out how to do this
> and wanted to share my solution in case anyone else
> wants to do the same thing. I did this via a power
> search which I configured through mythweb.

Hmmm. David Shay was working on adding this ability to Myth (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/281219#281219 ), but
seems to have gotten too busy with real life. I hope he sees your post
(and am mentioning primarily in case his system filters/highlights
messages with his name :).

> The only thing that could make this absolutely perfect
> would be, upon the conclusion of the recording, to go
> back and delete the non-HD recording. I might set up
> a "user job" that does this.

That would be a good approach for it.

> For now, without this,
> the only potential bug is that if the same episode was
> broadcast multiple times in HD, it would pick it up
> every time as long as the non-HD recording was
> present. I will live with that limitation
> unless/until I do the user job thing to whack the old
> recording, or maybe try to finagle an outer join into
> the query.

I'd guess there's probably a way to do it with the custom recording
rule, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about it as Bruce Markey, so I
couldn't tell you how. :)

Thanks for the update.

Mike

taco_mel at yahoo

Jan 30, 2008, 6:30 PM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

Additional control over what is and is not a duplicate
would make a great feature. It is the ability to do
special cases such as this that makes MythTV the
ultimate scalable and flexible solution versus its
closed source "competitors."

As I was working on this I thought it might be nice to
have a "super power search" of sorts, where you just
write your own SQL query that does whatever you want.
The power search is definitely powerful, but it could
be limited in that it does not allow complete control
over the SQL statement (specifically, if you have to
do a "join" on one of the tables that is hard-coded
into the query).

However, with some playing around, I did manage to get
a "left outer join" stuck in a power search. This
latest iteration will make the query not match when
there is an existing hdtv recording of a particular
program (think of this as my own duplicate checker).
Thus the first rebroadcast in HD will record but any
subsequent rebroadcasts won't.

Additional tables is now this:
", recordedprogram A left outer join recordedprogram B
on A.programid = B.programid and B.hdtv = 1"

And the query string is now this:
"program.programid = A.programid and A.hdtv = 0 and
program.hdtv = 1 and B.starttime is null"

mikep at randomtraveller

Jan 31, 2008, 8:18 AM

Re: Re-record something being shown in HD? [In reply to]

Taco Mel wrote:

> Additional tables = ", recordedprogram"
> The comma is needed to make the SQL query work right.

Ouch!

I know that this stuff is being input in a benign environment, but that
statement just makes the [programmer|developer] in me scream "SQL injection
attack vector!".

Mike Perkins