Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 5:07 PM

Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend

Hi,

Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
confirm (because Esc already answers "No").

I couldn't find it on Google (because it's really hard to find the
right keywords for this question ;-) ).

Thanks,
Bram Mol
The Netherlands

myth at dermanouelian

Dec 16, 2007, 5:14 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Happy Harry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
> mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
> enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
> confirm (because Esc already answers "No").
>
> I couldn't find it on Google (because it's really hard to find the
> right keywords for this question ;-) ).
>
> Thanks,
> Bram Mol
> The Netherlands

You can just remove screen altogether and not be prompted when exiting
the main screen.

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 5:20 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Oh, no I like being asked if I want to quit or not :-) But it's not
handy to have to reach for the arrow-up key.

Tnx.

On Dec 17, 2007 2:14 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Happy Harry wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
> > mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
> > enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
> > confirm (because Esc already answers "No").
> >
> > I couldn't find it on Google (because it's really hard to find the
> > right keywords for this question ;-) ).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bram Mol
> > The Netherlands
>
> You can just remove screen altogether and not be prompted when exiting
> the main screen.

myth at dermanouelian

Dec 16, 2007, 5:41 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Happy Harry wrote:

> Oh, no I like being asked if I want to quit or not :-) But it's not
> handy to have to reach for the arrow-up key.
>
> Tnx.

Wow. Here's hoping you don't hurt yourself doing it. ;)

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 5:44 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

lol :) It was just annoying me and I was wondering if there would be a
way around.
But, how do I completely remove the screen itself?

On Dec 17, 2007 2:41 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth [at] dermanouelian> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Happy Harry wrote:
>
> > Oh, no I like being asked if I want to quit or not :-) But it's not
> > handy to have to reach for the arrow-up key.
> >
> > Tnx.
>
> Wow. Here's hoping you don't hurt yourself doing it. ;)

beww at beww

Dec 16, 2007, 5:46 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Happy Harry wrote:
>
>> Oh, no I like being asked if I want to quit or not :-) But it's not
>> handy to have to reach for the arrow-up key.
>>
>> Tnx.
>
> Wow. Here's hoping you don't hurt yourself doing it. ;)

The real problem is that if you having to stop and start your frontend
often enough for this to be an issue something is fundamentally wrong
with the installation. I can't remember the last time I had to stop a F/E.

Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
intermittent app.

beww

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 5:51 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

> Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
> intermittent app.
Hmm... but that is actually how I'm using it. I'ts just my application
to watch TV. I have a seperate backend server which is always on and I
watch TV on my 2nd monitor on my desktop PC. And as I don't watch TV
all the time, I start en stop the Frontend very often.

So it's not because of problems that I have to quit a lot ;)

On Dec 17, 2007 2:46 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Happy Harry wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, no I like being asked if I want to quit or not :-) But it's not
> >> handy to have to reach for the arrow-up key.
> >>
> >> Tnx.
> >
> > Wow. Here's hoping you don't hurt yourself doing it. ;)
>
> The real problem is that if you having to stop and start your frontend
> often enough for this to be an issue something is fundamentally wrong
> with the installation. I can't remember the last time I had to stop a F/E.
>
> Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
> intermittent app.
>
> beww

drescherjm at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 5:52 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

> The real problem is that if you having to stop and start your frontend
> often enough for this to be an issue something is fundamentally wrong
> with the installation. I can't remember the last time I had to stop a F/E.
>
> Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
> intermittent app.

I do that all the time but it is because MythTV is on my main desktop
machine at home.

John

myth at dermanouelian

Dec 16, 2007, 5:53 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Happy Harry wrote:

> lol :) It was just annoying me and I was wondering if there would be a
> way around.
> But, how do I completely remove the screen itself?

Utilities/Setup>Setup>General>4th Screen
Uncheck the box that says "Confirm Exit"

And please stop top-posting. It's confusing for people who will have
the same question you have and look in the archives for an answer.

beww at beww

Dec 16, 2007, 5:55 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

John Drescher wrote:
>> The real problem is that if you having to stop and start your frontend
>> often enough for this to be an issue something is fundamentally wrong
>> with the installation. I can't remember the last time I had to stop a F/E.
>>
>> Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
>> intermittent app.
>>
> I do that all the time but it is because MythTV is on my main desktop
> machine at home.

Yeah, I realized after I sent that one that it is probably likely that a
lot of folks turn F/Es off and on, a good feature of the FE/BE architecture.

I think my comment applies if you "have" to shut down for some reason,
but not if you just "want" to.

beww

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 6:00 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Oh ok, yeah then you're right ;-)

On Dec 17, 2007 2:55 AM, Brian Wood <beww [at] beww> wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
> >> The real problem is that if you having to stop and start your frontend
> >> often enough for this to be an issue something is fundamentally wrong
> >> with the installation. I can't remember the last time I had to stop a F/E.
> >>
> >> Perhaps during the initial setup, but Myth is not designed to be an
> >> intermittent app.
> >>
> > I do that all the time but it is because MythTV is on my main desktop
> > machine at home.
>
> Yeah, I realized after I sent that one that it is probably likely that a
> lot of folks turn F/Es off and on, a good feature of the FE/BE architecture.
>
> I think my comment applies if you "have" to shut down for some reason,
> but not if you just "want" to.
>
> beww

billk at iinet

Dec 16, 2007, 6:32 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

I have the opposite problem where the default no is a saviour. On a
keyboardless system embedded behind a panel, exiting the frontend is a
real pain. The problem is pressing exit too many times on the remote
brings up the exit dialog - it would be nice to remove the dialog
altogether and have exit not work when at the top view.

BillK

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 02:07 +0100, Happy Harry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
> mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
> enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
> confirm (because Esc already answers "No").
>
> I couldn't find it on Google (because it's really hard to find the
> right keywords for this question ;-) ).
>
> Thanks,
> Bram Mol
> The Netherlands

myth at dermanouelian

Dec 16, 2007, 6:36 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

On Dec 16, 2007, at 6:32 PM, W.Kenworthy wrote:

> I have the opposite problem where the default no is a saviour. On a
> keyboardless system embedded behind a panel, exiting the frontend is a
> real pain. The problem is pressing exit too many times on the remote
> brings up the exit dialog - it would be nice to remove the dialog
> altogether and have exit not work when at the top view.
>
> BillK

You can change the key used to exit the system.

Again, go to Utilities/Setup>Setup>General>4th Screen and change
System Exit Key to something other than Esc.

gnoise at gmail

Dec 16, 2007, 6:39 PM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Hey stop stealing my thread! lol.

You can disable (or make it harder to) exit by changing the exit key.
Go to Setup -> General -> System Exit key.

That's where I also found how to remove the confirmation. But I really
want to make Yes default instead.

Bram

On Dec 17, 2007 3:32 AM, W.Kenworthy <billk [at] iinet> wrote:
> I have the opposite problem where the default no is a saviour. On a
> keyboardless system embedded behind a panel, exiting the frontend is a
> real pain. The problem is pressing exit too many times on the remote
> brings up the exit dialog - it would be nice to remove the dialog
> altogether and have exit not work when at the top view.
>
> BillK
>

> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 02:07 +0100, Happy Harry wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
> > mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
> > enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
> > confirm (because Esc already answers "No").
> >
> > I couldn't find it on Google (because it's really hard to find the
> > right keywords for this question ;-) ).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bram Mol
> > The Netherlands

mark_oliver at java2000

Dec 17, 2007, 10:36 AM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Happy Harry wrote:

>>> Is there a way to make the option "Yes" the default when I try to exit
>>> mythfrontend with escape? Now I have to press Escape, arrow up and
>>> enter to quit. It would be great to only have to press enter to
>>> confirm (because Esc already answers "No").
Well, I cannot answer the question of how to make the default 'yes,' but
I might suggest using the arrow keys to navigate the menu. To exit from
the main menu: Left, down, enter (or, in your case, left-up-enter).
Pretty simple and practically one motion. Just a thought.

mark

billn77 at gmail

Dec 17, 2007, 11:23 AM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

I haven't done this, and don't know if it's possible, but is there a way to
involve a script? With a remote keypress, have it send a /escape key/, then
a down arrow through lirc. If you were using the Escape key, I guess you
would have to know what screen you were on.
I know when creating the script to turn off the monitor with the on/off
button, the button press is picked up by the system and not by Myth, and
sends the monitor off command. Could you have the on/off button picked up
by the system, run a script that sends the System Exit and a down arrow
command to
Myth? If you wanted to be really cool, it could check if Myth was
running, and if it wasn't, turn off the monitor. Then the whole
shutdown would be ON/OFF button, OK button (to select the now
highlighted "yes"), then the ON/OFF button again to turn off the
monitor.

On 12/17/07, Mark Oliver <mark_oliver [at] java2000> wrote:

> Well, I cannot answer the question of how to make the default 'yes,' but
> I might suggest using the arrow keys to navigate the menu. To exit from
> the main menu: Left, down, enter (or, in your case, left-up-enter).
> Pretty simple and practically one motion. Just a thought.
>
> mark

billn77 at gmail

Dec 17, 2007, 11:24 AM

Re: Make "Yes" default when exiting frontend [In reply to]

Correction: in second sentence. not "through lirc", but rather "to Myth"