Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend)

mythuser at ibvs

Aug 15, 2007, 8:14 AM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend)

I tried installing Pluto (plutohome.com) on my HMC-2K53A. I was scanning internet for potential VFD drivers (as many of you also seem to have done) and noticed the DM140GINK appearing in one of their plug-in's. Much to my surprise, the VFD fired up and worked like a charm.

Pluto is Debian based and open source so for someone a tad more technical then me I am sure it will be very easy to extract the driver from the code and plug in to MythTV (which also is a part of Pluto by the way).

I am not exactly thrilled to use Pluto as it is very difficult to configure with lshwd and lsusb failing due to that broken USB port. What I want is to run the 2.6.22-git16 and a nice simple MythTV and the VFD working.

If anyone wants to pick up on this I'd be very happy.

PS. The built in Wlan works with Ndiswrapper as well as the RT2x00 driver but performance is a disaster. Unfortunately it works flawlessly in windows using RT73x drivers. If anyone have succeded to get decent performance in Linux, please let me know.

Regards,

Mat

james at thearmstrongs

Aug 15, 2007, 9:49 AM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend) [In reply to]

MythTV User wrote:
> I tried installing Pluto (plutohome.com) on my HMC-2K53A. I was
> scanning internet for potential VFD drivers (as many of you also seem
> to have done) and noticed the DM140GINK appearing in one of their
> plug-in's. Much to my surprise, the VFD fired up and worked like a charm.
>
> Pluto is Debian based and open source so for someone a tad more
> technical then me I am sure it will be very easy to extract the driver
> from the code and plug in to MythTV (which also is a part of Pluto by
> the way).
Can you see what you have in /etc/lcdproc.conf (or where ever your
config is) and attach it? I would think that pluto would be using a
patched lcdproc instead of driving the vfd directly. I tried
plutohome.com and it was down on my end.

> I am not exactly thrilled to use Pluto as it is very difficult to
> configure with lshwd and lsusb failing due to that broken USB port.
> What I want is to run the 2.6.22-git16 and a nice simple MythTV and
> the VFD working.
This is what I am running, would also like to get the VFD going. I am
waiting for Dave Walker to email me the usb sniff log he has on the VFD
protocol. He was out of town at the time I asked.

- James

mythuser at ibvs

Aug 15, 2007, 1:46 PM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend) [In reply to]

I have searched the entire drive for lcdproc.conf but it is not there. The module is called "MSI Media Live Display" on their site (look under support / Get Pluto). I have attached a bit of source code that may be of assistance perhaps.

/Mat
[...]

Attachments: button.c (5.21 KB)
  Media_Live_LCDButtons.cpp (11.7 KB)

james at thearmstrongs

Aug 16, 2007, 5:08 AM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend) [In reply to]

MythTV User wrote:
> I have searched the entire drive for lcdproc.conf but it is not there.
> The module is called "MSI Media Live Display" on their site (look
> under support / Get Pluto). I have attached a bit of source code that
> may be of assistance perhaps.

Can I get you to send me the MSI Media Live display.h file? Or zip up
the directory. I cannot download anything from plutohome. Their main
page works, but downloads and svn do not work for me.

Thanks,
Jamses

james at thearmstrongs

Aug 16, 2007, 5:29 AM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend) [In reply to]

MythTV User wrote:
> I have searched the entire drive for lcdproc.conf but it is not there.
> The module is called "MSI Media Live Display" on their site (look
> under support / Get Pluto). I have attached a bit of source code that
> may be of assistance perhaps.

Can I get you to send me the MSI Media Live display.h file? Or zip up
the directory. I cannot download anything from plutohome. Their main
page works, but downloads and svn do not work for me.

Thanks,
Jamses

mythuser at ibvs

Aug 20, 2007, 8:44 AM

Re: Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HDfrontend) [In reply to]

I finally managed to download the source code. Their site leaves a lot to desire. I also added a link at the Futaba Wiki;

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Futaba

/Mat
I have searched the entire drive for lcdproc.conf but it is not there. The module is called "MSI Media Live Display" on their site (look under support / Get Pluto). I have attached a bit of source code that may be of assistance perhaps.

Can I get you to send me the MSI Media Live display.h file? Or zip up the directory. I cannot download anything from plutohome. Their main page works, but downloads and svn do not work for me.

Thanks,
Jamses
Attachments: Media_Live_LCDButtons.src.tar.bz2 (20.9 KB)