Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Nova-T 500 Ubuntu

benjamin.britton at stcatz

Jul 26, 2007, 12:42 AM

Nova-T 500 Ubuntu

Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946

How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>

And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?

As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
hub).

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Ben

neil at stfw

Jul 26, 2007, 1:24 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:42:51 +0100, Ben Britton wrote:

> Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
> 500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946
>
> How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
> not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>
>
> And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?
>
> As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
> card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
> it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
> still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
> hub).

I bought one of these a few months ago and it doesn't show up with lspci,
only with lsusb. It seems the PCI part of the card is only a USB adaptor.

--
Neil Bothwick

Your lack of organisation does not represent an
emergency in my world.

james at fidell

Jul 26, 2007, 1:25 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

Ben Britton wrote:
> Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
> 500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946
>
> How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
> not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>
>
> And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?
>
> As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
> card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
> it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
> still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
> hub).
>
> Thanks for all the help so far :)

I have one of these cards arriving today, with any luck, so I may be
able to offer some help once it has arrived.

James

henrik.list at gmail

Jul 26, 2007, 4:22 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

With out knowing what this is about,
There is a new nova-t 500 diversity that currently doesn┤t appear to be
supported, it might work with change of PCI id in the driver, look on linux
dvb mailinglist.

Also finaly there appears to be a BETA patch that fixes the disconnect
issue, I┤d recommend waiting a bit before applying it.

/Henrik

On 7/26/07, James Fidell <james [at] fidell> wrote:

> Ben Britton wrote:
> > Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
> > 500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946
> >
> > How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
> > not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>
> >
> > And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?
> >
> > As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
> > card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
> > it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
> > still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
> > hub).
> >
> > Thanks for all the help so far :)
>
> I have one of these cards arriving today, with any luck, so I may be
> able to offer some help once it has arrived.
>
> James

james at fidell

Jul 26, 2007, 6:20 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

James Fidell wrote:
> Ben Britton wrote:
>> Apologies to Sophie, I missed your message. It's defiantly a nova-t
>> 500. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113946
>>
>> How do I fetch the "/var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log" parts? I'm
>> not *that* new to linux, just a little incompetent sometimes :>
>>
>> And how would I list /proc/bus/pci ?
>>
>> As far as I can work out at the moment, it's being detected as a pci
>> card, but there aren't drivers that are working for the card, and thus
>> it won't load the USB drivers for the Nova-T 500 onboard (if they are
>> still doing it via two USB devices on the card with the card as a USB
>> hub).
>>
>> Thanks for all the help so far :)
>
> I have one of these cards arriving today, with any luck, so I may be
> able to offer some help once it has arrived.

Ok, I have received my card now and plugged it in.

As Henrik says, there appear to be two similar cards, the "diversity"
model having a pair of aerial inputs rather than just one. Mine is the
diversity model, though it ships in what appears to be a non-diversity
box (the picture on the box doesn't match the contents) with an extra
sticker on to say it's the new model. On the card it's actually
labelled WinTV-NOVA-TD-500.

The single-aerial card appears to be supported in kernels 2.6.19 up,
or by building the latest v4l as documented here:

http://wiki.efficientpc.co.uk/index.php/Install_Nova-T_500_On_Ubuntu_Linux

I'm using a CentOS5 box which only has the 2.6.18 kernel and the latest
v4l drivers won't build against it. The most recent build that will
compile (v4l-dvb-65ebaec0d70a) has the dvb_usb_dib0700 module, but that
doesn't appear to find my card. I may well be building a later kernel
from scratch this evening unless I decide to bite the bullet and install
Fedora 7.

I don't know what the PCI IDs of the pre-diversity cards are, but I'd
assume they're different. Mine is 0070:6800 and as that's the same as
yours I'd suggest we're in the same boat.

James

myth at robinhill

Jul 26, 2007, 7:45 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

On Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 02:20:21PM +0100, James Fidell wrote:

> As Henrik says, there appear to be two similar cards, the "diversity"
> model having a pair of aerial inputs rather than just one. Mine is the
> diversity model, though it ships in what appears to be a non-diversity
> box (the picture on the box doesn't match the contents) with an extra
> sticker on to say it's the new model. On the card it's actually
> labelled WinTV-NOVA-TD-500.
>
> I don't know what the PCI IDs of the pre-diversity cards are, but I'd
> assume they're different. Mine is 0070:6800 and as that's the same as
> yours I'd suggest we're in the same boat.

The pre-diversity cards just show up as a VIA USB 2.0 controller and a
pair of USB 1.1 controllers. The new card is using Hauppauge's PCI ID
(0070) so they've obviously put their own chipset in in front of the USB
controller.

Cheers,
Robin
--
___
( ' } | Robin Hill <myth [at] robinhill> |

james at fidell

Jul 26, 2007, 8:10 AM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

Robin Hill wrote:
> On Thu Jul 26, 2007 at 02:20:21PM +0100, James Fidell wrote:
>
>> As Henrik says, there appear to be two similar cards, the "diversity"
>> model having a pair of aerial inputs rather than just one. Mine is the
>> diversity model, though it ships in what appears to be a non-diversity
>> box (the picture on the box doesn't match the contents) with an extra
>> sticker on to say it's the new model. On the card it's actually
>> labelled WinTV-NOVA-TD-500.
>>
>> I don't know what the PCI IDs of the pre-diversity cards are, but I'd
>> assume they're different. Mine is 0070:6800 and as that's the same as
>> yours I'd suggest we're in the same boat.
>>

> The pre-diversity cards just show up as a VIA USB 2.0 controller and a
> pair of USB 1.1 controllers. The new card is using Hauppauge's PCI ID
> (0070) so they've obviously put their own chipset in in front of the USB
> controller.

Looking at the chips on the diversity card, I'd suggest that perhaps the
VIA USB controller has been replaced by an unrecognised DIBcom 0710 TS
to PCI bridge. Not sure that information gets us any closer to a
working card, though.

James

james at fidell

Jul 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

James Fidell wrote:

> Looking at the chips on the diversity card, I'd suggest that perhaps the
> VIA USB controller has been replaced by an unrecognised DIBcom 0710 TS
> to PCI bridge. Not sure that information gets us any closer to a
> working card, though.

Following up to this, I had a look at the v4l code today and edits were
made yesterday to support the diversity USB stick, but not the PCI card.
For the moment I think we're out of luck with this card.

James

janne-mythtvusers at grunau

Jul 30, 2007, 1:41 PM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

On Thursday 26 July 2007 17:10:19 James Fidell wrote:

> > The pre-diversity cards just show up as a VIA USB 2.0 controller
> > and a pair of USB 1.1 controllers. The new card is using
> > Hauppauge's PCI ID (0070) so they've obviously put their own
> > chipset in in front of the USB controller.
>
> Looking at the chips on the diversity card, I'd suggest that perhaps
> the VIA USB controller has been replaced by an unrecognised DIBcom
> 0710 TS to PCI bridge. Not sure that information gets us any closer
> to a working card, though.

No unfortunately not at all. According to Patrick B÷ttcher who maintains
the DiBCom Linux drivers the 0710 PCI wasn't intended for
massproduction.

Support for this device is not planned.

Return it if you can. If you can take high resolution pictures of the
card before it would be appreciated.

Janne

james at fidell

Jul 30, 2007, 3:23 PM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

Janne Grunau wrote:

> No unfortunately not at all. According to Patrick B÷ttcher who maintains
> the DiBCom Linux drivers the 0710 PCI wasn't intended for
> massproduction.

Makes one wonder why it ever found its way into production at all...

James

george at hazlewood

Aug 5, 2007, 1:59 PM

Re: Nova-T 500 Ubuntu [In reply to]

Janne Grunau wrote:
> No unfortunately not at all. According to Patrick B÷ttcher who maintains
> the DiBCom Linux drivers the 0710 PCI wasn't intended for
> massproduction.
>
> Support for this device is not planned.
>
> Return it if you can. If you can take high resolution pictures of the
> card before it would be appreciated.

I have posted a couple of shots of the card here:

http://hazlewood.co.uk/files/nova-t500/P8050085.JPG
http://hazlewood.co.uk/files/nova-t500/P8050086.JPG
http://hazlewood.co.uk/files/nova-t500/P8050087.JPG
http://hazlewood.co.uk/files/nova-t500/P8050088.JPG
http://hazlewood.co.uk/files/nova-t500/P8050089.JPG

I hope these are useful, my card is now on Ebay. :)

Hauppage have for a long time held my contempt for such awful software
and drivers. The release of this card is the icing on the cake. They
didn't even bother to re-do the box with an updated photo specifications
or model number. If I was more of a contemptuous git I'd report them to
Trading Standards for mis-selling goods. </grump>

Cheers

George