Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them?

mark.kendall at gmail

Jun 21, 2007, 1:49 AM

PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them?

As I'm off for a week from tomorrow, I thought it was about time I
shared my work on ps3 video playback. The patch is against the
mythtv-vid branch but this will work fine with a recent version of svn
head on your backend. All installed on top of Yellow Dog Linux 5
though I see no reason why it shouldn't work with any other PS3 linux
distro.

Hopefully I've covered off most of the detail in the brain dump below
but in general it's working pretty well - some of the 720p playback is
about as good I've seen anywhere and all without the extensive grief
of buggy drivers, xorg.conf files etc etc.

Relevant files are:-

http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/joystickmenurc
http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/revert.cpp

Any and all feedback much appreciated and I'll get back to it when I'm
back from my travels.

Regards

Mark

Sanity warning

The kernel process that controls the framebuffer is disabled during
playback. If mythtv crashes during this time (and remember, this patch
is a work in progress), you will be left with a seemingly unresponsive
ps3. In reality the framebuffer is not being updated. Rather than
using control-alt-backspace, download and compile this short program
and install it in your path (instructions below). Run
mythtv/mythfrontend from a console and if it crashes it should return
you to the text prompt (although you won't be able to see it) - just
type revert to restore your desktop.

cd ~
mkdir revert
cd revert
wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/revert.cpp
g++ -o revert revert.cpp
su
cp revert /usr/bin/revert

What's New

- new configure option --enable-ps3
- new, configurable exit option to boot into the game os. Switch
seemlessly between wasting your time gaming and wasting your time
watching tv:)
- new video output method and vertical sync that accesses the ps3
framebuffer directly. This defaults to using ffmpeg for software
colour conversion and scaling.
- if libspe2 is detected, deinterlacing, yuv to rgb colour conversion
and scaling are offloaded to (some of) the PS3s 'SPE's.

Performance/Setup

Once installed, Go to Settings->TV Settings->Playback->Playback
Profiles and setup 1 or more profiles using ps3fb as the renderer.
Turn off OSD fade and enable Adaptive x2 as the default deinterlacer
(unless it gives you problems - see below).

If playback is poor (ie low framerate), you've either not compiled
with libspe2 support and it's falling back to ffmpeg
conversion/scaling (check your logs for lack of SPU type messages and
recompile) or mythtv is using the xvideo display method and falling
back to software/x-lib scaling (check your logs and adjust your
display profiles).

Without the patches, the ps3 is almost unusable as a frontend for even
standard definition. Using the 'accelerated' video output, I can
comfortably play 720p and 1080i mpeg2 material. I don't have any 1080p
mpeg2 source clips so can't test. The only playback that is currently
erratic for me is 1080i displayed downscaled to 720p using the double
frame rate deinterlacer - and this looks like it's a limitation with
the main processor/memory rather than the spe's. Hidef h.264 playback
does not work.

I'd recommend using a lightweight window manager, lightweight mythtv
theme and turning off as many unnecessary services as you can. This
will save memory and speed up menu navigation, playback startup etc.
It may just make things that much more stable as well as any
instability seems to be memory related.

Alternatively, try qt-embedded (video output works just as well
without X). I've run it successfully using qt-embedded-3.3.5.

Using the sixaxis controller

With YDL 5.0, the sixaxis controller works 'out of the box' when
connected via usb. I've put together a simple joystick config file
that you'll need to copy to ~/.mythtv - It's useful if you do try
qt-embedded as setting up the mouse/keyboard can be a pain.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/joystickmenurc

Issues

Generally it seems to be pretty stable - but re-read the sanity
warning above:) Otherwise the main, obvious issue is that the program
guide/watch recordings/find programs screens are not rendered properly
when called from playback (livetv or recording). There are also
occasional issues with videomode validation - especially when using
vesa modes in fullscreen (this appears to be a driver/ioctl bug but
you shouldn't need to select a vesa mode using the -f option anyway as
they are already fullscreen). I'd recommend you use something like
720p in fullscreen to get you going and experiment from there.

To Do

Code clean up - especially a re-write of mythspuhandler...
Performance management - currently hardcoded to share the load between
2 of the 6 available spu's. This should be adjusted on the fly.
xrandr/display res support - should be simple enough to enable display
resolution switching but I want to extend the mythtv code to support
interlaced modes as well.
deinterlacer - the inbuilt deinterlacer is OK but there should be
plenty of horsepower available for better quality.

Requirements (over and above a normal mythtv installation from source)

- libspe2 and libspe2-devel (which enable access to the spe's). You
can download these from:-
http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.0/libspe2-2.0.1-1.ppc.rpm
http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.0/libspe2-devel-2.0.1-1.ppc.rpm

- the spu development toolchain. If you have spu-gcc and embedspu,
you're there...

Installation

cd ~
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
cd mythtv-vid
wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
chmod +x libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
./configure --enable-ps3
qmake mythtv.pro
make
sudo make install

Installation notes

- be patient, it takes a couple of hours to compile...
- do not try and speed things up by using make -j 2 or similar -
you'll just slow it down due to the lack of memory.
- you might want to disable a number of the backend options (e.g.
--disable-dvb etc) to shorten compile times.

ryan.goat at gmail

Jun 21, 2007, 5:28 AM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

On 6/21/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:

> [...]
> you're there...
>
> Installation
>
> cd ~
> svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
> cd mythtv-vid
> wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
> patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
> chmod +x libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> ./configure --enable-ps3
> qmake mythtv.pro
> make
> sudo make install
>
> Installation notes
>
> - be patient, it takes a couple of hours to compile...
> - do not try and speed things up by using make -j 2 or similar -
> you'll just slow it down due to the lack of memory.
> - you might want to disable a number of the backend options (e.g.
> --disable-dvb etc) to shorten compile times.

Looks interesting. I will give it a shot this weekend. But I might not be
able to get it working based on your instructions alone. I've never
compiled MythTV before. Just install it from ubuntu packages. The one time
I tried compiling a SVN version I must have done something wrong because it
very much didn't work.

--
_____________
Ryan Patterson

beww at beww

Jun 21, 2007, 5:42 AM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

ryan patterson wrote:

> Sanity warning
>
> The kernel process that controls the framebuffer is disabled during
> playback. If mythtv crashes during this time (and remember, this patch
> is a work in progress), you will be left with a seemingly unresponsive
> ps3. In reality the framebuffer is not being updated. Rather than
> using control-alt-backspace, download and compile this short program
> and install it in your path (instructions below). Run
> mythtv/mythfrontend from a console and if it crashes it should return
> you to the text prompt (although you won't be able to see it) - just
> type revert to restore your desktop.
>
> cd ~
> mkdir revert
> cd revert
> wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/revert.cpp
> g++ -o revert revert.cpp
> su
> cp revert /usr/bin/revert

I'd think just having a login via ssh to the PS3 from another machine
would allow you to do this with more certainty, as opposed to "shooting
blind".

I'll see if I can play with it this weekend, I have to do SOMETHING to
prove to folks I didn't buy the box to play games :-)

BEWW

mark.kendall at gmail

Jun 21, 2007, 7:15 AM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

On 6/21/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:
> cd ~
> svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
> cd mythtv-vid
> wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
> patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
> chmod +x libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> ./configure --enable-ps3
> qmake mythtv.pro
> make
> sudo make install

Just spotted the deliberate mistake. This should read:-

cd ~
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
cd mythtv-vid
wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
cd libs/libmythtv/cell
chmod +x make_spu.sh
./make_spu.sh
cd ../../..
./configure --enable-ps3
qmake mythtv.pro
make
sudo make install

jakep_82 at hotmail

Jun 21, 2007, 8:30 AM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

>From: "Mark Kendall" <mark.kendall [at] gmail>
>To: mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them?
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:15:31 +0100
>
>On 6/21/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall [at] gmail> wrote:
> > cd ~
> > svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
> > cd mythtv-vid
> > wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
> > patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
> > chmod +x libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> > libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> > ./configure --enable-ps3
> > qmake mythtv.pro
> > make
> > sudo make install
>
>Just spotted the deliberate mistake. This should read:-
>
>cd ~
>svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
>cd mythtv-vid
>wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
>patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
>cd libs/libmythtv/cell
>chmod +x make_spu.sh
>./make_spu.sh
>cd ../../..
>./configure --enable-ps3
>qmake mythtv.pro
>make
>sudo make install

This is exciting! Now I finally have a reason to install Linux on my PS3.
And of course I'm out of town this weekend so I can't try it right away, but
I should have feedback sometime next week. Any hints on qt-embedded? I see
a guide over on the wiki, but I'm not sure how current it is. It seems the
major challenge with the PS3 is memory, and I would imagine qt-embedded
should help with that.

Jake

kristian.jerpetjoen at gmail

Jun 21, 2007, 2:52 PM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

Mark
Great to se that its not only me working on this subject

I have started a project called spu-medialib dont know if you have seen it

http://wiki.ps2dev.org/ps3:spu-medialib

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=29

and

http://svn.ps2dev.org/listing.php?repname=ps3ware&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fspu-medialib%2F&rev=0&sc=0

Its goal is to gather all media acellerations into a shared library
so that ffmpeg mplayer and all other players and similar can use it as
a dependancy for the cell platform.

Personally i have made a yuvscaler and a yuv2argb finished 14 days and
2 months ago respectively although i have made some changes my plan is
also to integrate these into a combined scaler and converter.

I ashure you they are sufficient to play back any yuv420 source at
1920x1080 [at] 60FP provided that you can supply the source data fast
enough.

If anyone else want to help develop this lib please signup on the
forum or email or contact me directly.

--
cheers
Kristian Jerpetjøn aka unsolo on freenode.net

Email: kristian.jerpetjoen [at] gmail

patman at aracnet

Jul 5, 2007, 8:56 PM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:49:07AM +0100, Mark Kendall wrote:

> Relevant files are:-
>
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/joystickmenurc
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/revert.cpp
>
> Any and all feedback much appreciated and I'll get back to it when I'm
> back from my travels.

Nice work! (Though I don't have a ps3 to try it on yet :-/ ).

> Performance/Setup
>
> Once installed, Go to Settings->TV Settings->Playback->Playback
> Profiles and setup 1 or more profiles using ps3fb as the renderer.
> Turn off OSD fade and enable Adaptive x2 as the default deinterlacer
> (unless it gives you problems - see below).
>
> If playback is poor (ie low framerate), you've either not compiled
> with libspe2 support and it's falling back to ffmpeg
> conversion/scaling (check your logs for lack of SPU type messages and
> recompile) or mythtv is using the xvideo display method and falling
> back to software/x-lib scaling (check your logs and adjust your
> display profiles).
>
> Without the patches, the ps3 is almost unusable as a frontend for even
> standard definition. Using the 'accelerated' video output, I can
> comfortably play 720p and 1080i mpeg2 material. I don't have any 1080p
> mpeg2 source clips so can't test. The only playback that is currently
> erratic for me is 1080i displayed downscaled to 720p using the double
> frame rate deinterlacer - and this looks like it's a limitation with
> the main processor/memory rather than the spe's. Hidef h.264 playback
> does not work.
>
> I'd recommend using a lightweight window manager, lightweight mythtv
> theme and turning off as many unnecessary services as you can. This
> will save memory and speed up menu navigation, playback startup etc.
> It may just make things that much more stable as well as any
> instability seems to be memory related.
>
> Alternatively, try qt-embedded (video output works just as well
> without X). I've run it successfully using qt-embedded-3.3.5.

Are you building using the ppu compiler with cell support? That might help
the performance some. It needs gcc 4.3 (AFAIK) or the special ppu-gcc via
bsc binaries.

Simple test for cell support via:

touch dummy.c
gcc -c -mcpu=cell dummy.c

> Requirements (over and above a normal mythtv installation from source)
>
> - libspe2 and libspe2-devel (which enable access to the spe's). You
> can download these from:-
> http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.0/libspe2-2.0.1-1.ppc.rpm
> http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.0/libspe2-devel-2.0.1-1.ppc.rpm

Probably better to use sdk2.1 versions:

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/libspe2-2.1.0-0.ppc.rpm
http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/libspe2-devel-2.1.0-0.ppc.rpm

And (for anyone) ppu-gcc and ppu-g++:

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/ppu-gcc-4.1.1-10.ppc.rpm
http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/spu-gcc-c++-4.1.1-9.ppc.rpm

I don't know if the matching binutils are *required* for use with the
above, but the other sdk 2.1 toolchain rpm and srpm files can be found
under:

http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=304

-- Patrick Mansfield

mark.kendall at gmail

Jul 6, 2007, 1:45 AM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

On 7/6/07, Patrick Mansfield <patman [at] aracnet> wrote:
> Are you building using the ppu compiler with cell support? That might help
> the performance some. It needs gcc 4.3 (AFAIK) or the special ppu-gcc via
> bsc binaries.
>
> Simple test for cell support via:
>
> touch dummy.c
> gcc -c -mcpu=cell dummy.c

Unfortunately my gcc version does not support this, though if i find
the time I'll try and upgrade to see what impact it has.

> Probably better to use sdk2.1 versions:
>
> http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/libspe2-2.1.0-0.ppc.rpm
> http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/libspe2-devel-2.1.0-0.ppc.rpm

Yes - this was on my todo list already. 2.1 also adds a little new
functionality .

> And (for anyone) ppu-gcc and ppu-g++:
>
> http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk2.1/ppu-gcc-4.1.1-10.ppc.rpm

I have this installed but it just segfaults on ydl 5.0 - I should
really find the time to compile it from source...

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Mark

bernhart2002 at hotmail

Oct 20, 2007, 12:03 PM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

> Did you try the updated patch?
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/latestps3.diff
> I'm not sure whether this will still apply cleanly to svn, though it
> might now work with trunk as well as mythtv-vid. There are still some
> issues to resolve but I won't be able to look at it again for 6-8
> weeks - PS3 currently in its box ready for a boat trip to Singapore.
>> Regards>> Mark
Hey Mark, I've run the latest patch you created and I get the following error when I try to compile it

videoout_ps3fb.cpp: In member function ‘void VideoOutputPS3FB::Zoom(int)’:
videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘ZoomDirection’
videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘virtual void VideoOutput::Zoom(ZoomDirection)’
make[2]: *** [videoout_ps3fb.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs/libmythtv'
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs'
make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
Any ideas? is it possible that you could upload the videout_ps3b.o file?
Thanks
Eric

kristian.jerpetjoen at gmail

Oct 21, 2007, 4:14 PM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

Mark

The guys are making progress on the mplayer vo seems
h264 and really hight bit rate mpeg2 is the only thing holding them back
soon.

And i am making progress on a Xv driver based on the same acceleration as
the mplayer vo .

Someone has also started some work on a gui driver but its doubtful they
will make it sdl or something like that compliant at the time beeing.

We also did some improvements to the structure of libspu-medialib.a and
outsourced the frame buffer source to libsp3fb.a

the spu binaries are now objects in libspu-medialib.a and we also made it
all 32 bit compliant.

this is just the starting phase of spu-medialib and we have started to look
more and more into doing video decoding on the spu's but we are still short
on hands.

It shouldn't be to hard to use these acceleration's and please let me know
if there is something you feel is missing.

it's still only yv12 and i420 scaling and colorspace in the same spu.

However its offloading 70% when playing back 1280x720 [at] 60fp and think we
can improve its performance but currently its adequate.

On 20/10/2007, eric bernhart <bernhart2002 [at] hotmail> wrote:

> > Did you try the updated patch?
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/latestps3.diff
> > I'm not sure whether this will still apply cleanly to svn, though it
> > might now work with trunk as well as mythtv-vid. There are still some
> > issues to resolve but I won't be able to look at it again for 6-8
> > weeks - PS3 currently in its box ready for a boat trip to Singapore.
> >> Regards>> Mark
> Hey Mark, I've run the latest patch you created and I get the following
> error when I try to compile it
>
> videoout_ps3fb.cpp: In member function 'void VideoOutputPS3FB::Zoom(int)':
> videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to
> 'ZoomDirection'
> videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: initializing argument 1 of 'virtual void
> VideoOutput::Zoom(ZoomDirection)'
> make[2]: *** [videoout_ps3fb.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs/libmythtv'
> make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs'
> make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
> Any ideas? is it possible that you could upload the videout_ps3b.o file?
> Thanks
> Eric

Kristian Jerpetjøn
Tlf: +4721694436
Mob +4792822774
Email: kristian.jerpetjoen [at] gmail

bernhart2002 at hotmail

Oct 22, 2007, 8:02 PM

Re: PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them? [In reply to]

>Hey Mark, I've run the latest patch you created and I get the following
error when I try to compile it

>videoout_ps3fb.cpp: In member function ‘void VideoOutputPS3FB::Zoom(int)’:
>videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to
‘ZoomDirection’
>videoout_ps3fb.cpp:133: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘virtual void
VideoOutput::Zoom(ZoomDirection)’
>make[2]: *** [videoout_ps3fb.o] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs/libmythtv'
>make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/mythtv-vid/libs'
>make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2
>Any ideas? is it possible that you could upload the videout_ps3b.o file?
>Thanks
>Eric

So I figured I'd share what I've learned so far with the communite as some
other people may be strugling like I was.
I resolved the error above me by changing line 133 from
VideoOutputPS3FB::Zoom(Direction); to :Zoom(Direction);
this fixed that error. There was one more error that came after this about
boot-game-os from the file main.cpp (sorry can't remember the line number).
Anyhow, I just commented it out and everything compiled and installed fine.
I changed the video render to PS3FB and still didn't have a deinterlacer to
select.
When I went to watch TV the image was scrambled.... but a very fast and
smooth scrambled. As it turns out I was not running YDL in full screen
mode( who would have guessed 720p and 1080i modes weren't really 1024x720
and 1280x1024). This caused each line of pixels to be offset by whatever
the size of those side black bars are. To fix this I went into the file
/etc/kboot.conf and changed the default video mode value.
The default line looks like this
>ydl='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.1ps3
initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.1ps3.img root=/dev/sda2
init=/sbin/init video=ps3fb:mode:3 rhgb
change the following "video=ps3fb:mode:131 rhgb" for 720p full screen
or
"video=ps3fb:mode:132 rhgb" for 1080i full screen
After doing this everything seems to be running pretty good, 720p and 1080i
material both run smoothly.. It does randomly crash with a segment fault
error. That might have something to do with me monkeying around with the
code....

All in all its running pretty good. I also want to thank Mark and the rest
of the MythTv development team for making this all possible.
Thanks!
Eric