Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Installing the Antec Fusion volume control

david at segall

Jun 14, 2007, 8:29 AM

Installing the Antec Fusion volume control

I followed the instructions at
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc> to get my Antec Fusion
VFD to work. In order to complete the task I needed to load the driver
which I did by adding the line "/sbin/modprobe lirc_imon" to the file
/etc/rc.local. Now, when LCDd is started during the boot sequence it
fails because it cannot find /dev/lcd0 and asks "Did you load the iMON
VFD module?". If I start LCDd after the boot sequence it starts as
expected. I assume my problem is that the "modprobe lirc_imon" is in
the wrong initialisation file. Where should it be?

alan at maranathatelecom

Jun 14, 2007, 8:48 AM

Re: Installing the Antec Fusion volume control [In reply to]

A quick and dirty fix here would likely be to start LCDd in the rc.local on
the line after you load the modules. Dirty but should work

Alan

>I followed the instructions at
><http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc> to get my Antec Fusion
>VFD to work. In order to complete the task I needed to load the driver
>which I did by adding the line "/sbin/modprobe lirc_imon" to the file
>/etc/rc.local. Now, when LCDd is started during the boot sequence it
>fails because it cannot find /dev/lcd0 and asks "Did you load the iMON
>VFD module?". If I start LCDd after the boot sequence it starts as
>expected. I assume my problem is that the "modprobe lirc_imon" is in
>the wrong initialisation file. Where should it be?

hah at alumni

Jun 14, 2007, 9:05 AM

Re: Installing the Antec Fusion volume control [In reply to]

> I followed the instructions at
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc> to get my Antec Fusion
> VFD to work. In order to complete the task I needed to load the driver
> which I did by adding the line "/sbin/modprobe lirc_imon" to the file
> /etc/rc.local. Now, when LCDd is started during the boot sequence it
> fails because it cannot find /dev/lcd0 and asks "Did you load the iMON
> VFD module?". If I start LCDd after the boot sequence it starts as
> expected. I assume my problem is that the "modprobe lirc_imon" is in
> the wrong initialisation file. Where should it be?

On my FC5 install in a Silverstone LC-16M w/IMon, I have the "/sbin/modprobe
lirc_imon" line in /etc/rc.modules. The /etc/rc.local has only a call to
/usr/sbin/lircd, and LCDd and lcdproc are started (in that order) by links
in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d. All this comes together to give me a clock display
(that's all that I have it configured for) that is hard to read from across
the room - but better than nothing since there's no more VCR.

gharris+list+mythtv at eklo

Jun 14, 2007, 12:14 PM

Re: Installing the Antec Fusion volume control [In reply to]

I have a fusion, and run ubuntu. If memory serves, the ubuntu
(assumedly with debian as well) solution is to load the required
modules in the LCDd init script.

--Glenn

On 6/14/07, David Segall <david [at] segall> wrote:
> I followed the instructions at
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc> to get my Antec Fusion
> VFD to work. In order to complete the task I needed to load the driver
> which I did by adding the line "/sbin/modprobe lirc_imon" to the file
> /etc/rc.local. Now, when LCDd is started during the boot sequence it
> fails because it cannot find /dev/lcd0 and asks "Did you load the iMON
> VFD module?". If I start LCDd after the boot sequence it starts as
> expected. I assume my problem is that the "modprobe lirc_imon" is in
> the wrong initialisation file. Where should it be?

fred at derf

Jun 15, 2007, 1:09 AM

Re: Installing the Antec Fusion volume control [In reply to]

Hello,

David Segall wrote:
> I followed the instructions at
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LCDproc> to get my Antec Fusion
> VFD to work. In order to complete the task I needed to load the driver
> which I did by adding the line "/sbin/modprobe lirc_imon" to the file
> /etc/rc.local. Now, when LCDd is started during the boot sequence it
> fails because it cannot find /dev/lcd0 and asks "Did you load the iMON
> VFD module?". If I start LCDd after the boot sequence it starts as
> expected. I assume my problem is that the "modprobe lirc_imon" is in
> the wrong initialisation file. Where should it be?

/etc/rc.local is executed last, perhaps the LCDd startup script (if you
are using one) is executing before the rc.local stuff hence the module
is not yet loaded. Which distro are you using?

In any case, make sure that the LCDd startup script or command is
executed *after* the module is loaded. I, personally, load the module
within the startup script and then start LCDd. I see this option is also
used by others.

Cheers,

Fred.