Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

How to make an SPDIF out for ASUS motherboards

reza at reza

How to make an SPDIF out for ASUS motherboards

I've not tested this, but I'm fairly sure it works. The breakout
connector to give you spdif out is out of stock, so I did a bit of
research. By looking at a photo of it, and doing some reading on spdif,
I think this is the circuit that's on the breakout connector.

100nF
TTL ----||-----330ohm--+--------- coax S/PDIF signal out
in |
100ohm

Ground -----------------+--------- coax signal ground

(From http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html )

And the connector (on my motherboard - M2NPV-VM) is 4 pins with the pins
being

+5V UNUSED SSPDIFOUT GND

so you need something that'll connect to the motherboard (reuse some
connector -- i think the ones that connect to the back of cdroms/dvdroms
should work), add two resistors and a cap, and solder it onto an RCA
female connector. That should be it.

Reza

adilson at adilson

Re: How to make an SPDIF out for ASUS motherboards [In reply to]