Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Dreambox (Linux) Sat-tuner + MythTV?...

francesco at fampeeters

Dreambox (Linux) Sat-tuner + MythTV?...

Hi all,

I am considering venturing in to the world of digital satellite TV (DVB-S).
, as analog cable is getting worse by the month, especially as they now
have moved all 35 channels up to UHF to free the VHF band for digital
cable! (Aside from the limited lineup available!)
*sigh*

Rather than mucking around with DVB-S cards, I am considering getting a
Dreambox dual (Linux) sat-tuner (which has an Ethernet port, 2 CI slots
and 2 built in card-reader slots, as well as twin tuners) to do the tuning
and (where required) decrypting for me... (disclaimer: Yes, I *do* intend
to get a subscription for the encrypted channels!!!)

I noticed there is support for DBOX2, and as that is (also?) the name of
the Dreambox' predecessor, I was wondering if that means the Dreambox can
also be used to stream the sat channels to the myth BE?

Does anybody have a setup like this already?

--
F Peeters
PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250

ray at brambletree

Re: Dreambox (Linux) Sat-tuner + MythTV?... [In reply to]

F Peeters at 17 April 2007 13:31 wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am considering venturing in to the world of digital satellite TV
> (DVB-S).
> , as analog cable is getting worse by the month, especially as they now
> have moved all 35 channels up to UHF to free the VHF band for digital
> cable! (Aside from the limited lineup available!)
> *sigh*
>
> Rather than mucking around with DVB-S cards, I am considering getting a
> Dreambox dual (Linux) sat-tuner (which has an Ethernet port, 2 CI slots
> and 2 built in card-reader slots, as well as twin tuners) to do the
> tuning
> and (where required) decrypting for me... (disclaimer: Yes, I *do*
> intend
> to get a subscription for the encrypted channels!!!)
>
> I noticed there is support for DBOX2, and as that is (also?) the name
> of
> the Dreambox' predecessor, I was wondering if that means the Dreambox
> can
> also be used to stream the sat channels to the myth BE?
>
> Does anybody have a setup like this already?

I thought the DBOX2 (Nokia?) was a different product to a Dreambox (Dream
Multimedia) - but could be wrong!
If you ever get confirmation of a Dreambox working with MythTV, please let
me know.

francesco at fampeeters

Re: Dreambox (Linux) Sat-tuner + MythTV?... [In reply to]

On Thu, April 19, 2007 19:24, Razza wrote:
> F Peeters at 17 April 2007 13:31 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am considering venturing in to the world of digital satellite TV
>> (DVB-S).
>> , as analog cable is getting worse by the month, especially as they now
>> have moved all 35 channels up to UHF to free the VHF band for digital
>> cable! (Aside from the limited lineup available!)
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Rather than mucking around with DVB-S cards, I am considering getting a
>> Dreambox dual (Linux) sat-tuner (which has an Ethernet port, 2 CI slots
>> and 2 built in card-reader slots, as well as twin tuners) to do the
>> tuning
>> and (where required) decrypting for me... (disclaimer: Yes, I *do*
>> intend
>> to get a subscription for the encrypted channels!!!)
>>
>> I noticed there is support for DBOX2, and as that is (also?) the name
>> of
>> the Dreambox' predecessor, I was wondering if that means the Dreambox
>> can
>> also be used to stream the sat channels to the myth BE?
>>
>> Does anybody have a setup like this already?
>
> I thought the DBOX2 (Nokia?) was a different product to a Dreambox (Dream
> Multimedia) - but could be wrong!

I know, that's the problem... There (apparently) was also something called
a DBox2 from a different vendor that went bankrupt...

> If you ever get confirmation of a Dreambox working with MythTV, please let
> me know.

I am actually considering hacking away and build something to allow MythTV
to control a Dreambox, but first I'd have to get satellite... ;-)

And for that I am still trying to figure out what to get first though! ;-)

Maybe I'll even be able to find time to create a tuner module for MythTV,
similar to the HDHomeRun or DBox2 modules, to access a DreamBox...

Biggest issues I have are (in no particular order): lack of freely
available money and lack of freely available time... :-(